• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

ResoRai

Scorpio at 6TF is about 4x the performance of XB1. 4K is 4x the pixels of 1080p - that's all your extra power gone in an instant just for the higher resolution. 60fps would be another 2x which simply isn't available.

I hope they'll resist trying to play one-upmanship and have 'native 4k' purely as a bulletpointl I'd rather they use a form of reconstruction to get a high quality 4k output without using up all the extra performance, and then increase other aspects like lighting, shadows, world detail etc.
Shouldn't you take esram into account since they switched to GDDR5?

iMax

Wait, just so I understand this....Digital Foundry was supposedly going to run a story saying that Scorpio wasn't hitting its marks - i.e. it is underpowered - and this podcast is a preemptive rebuttal - saying that Digital Foundry was testing Scorpio that was just 80% unlocked...?
So the "Scorpio news" was to be bad bad? And this podcast is saying, basically, hold your horses - it isn't ready yet?

Almost. The way I understand it from these latest reports is that Microsoft got wind of that and stepped in with the offer of an all-access feature on Scorpio's tech.

Wait, just so I understand this....Digital Foundry was supposedly going to run a story saying that Scorpio wasn't hitting its marks - i.e. it is underpowered - and this podcast is a preemptive rebuttal - saying that Digital Foundry was testing Scorpio that was just 80% unlocked...?
So the "Scorpio news" was to be bad? And this podcast is saying, basically, hold your horses - it isn't ready yet? ('move along; nothing to see here.')

it will be funny if after next week we still end up with more questions than answers

quest

Not Banned from OT
Sounds like DF. That is a good thing, to me. More hyped now. Must not overhype

If it is df doing the technical reveal then it probably is better than we thought outside the cpu. It would be extreme confidence by MS Scorpio crushing the pro.

UraMallas

It's kind of crazy that my sort of silly fantasy post from page 3 in this thread was pretty much confirmed to be what actually happened through this podcast.

Yep. I have this scenario in my mind where they saw the write-up they did in January that was kind of underwhelming and then gave them a call and said 'oh yeah? Why don't you take the real thing for a drive.'

It would also cut down on the cost of producing an unveiling conference or video because DF will do it for them in this case.

Haha. That's kinda crazy.

If it is df doing the technical reveal then it probably is better than we thought outside the cpu. It would be extreme confidence by MS Scorpio crushing the pro.

I don't think an arrogant or over confident MS is the way to go even if the specs are great.

Completely true. I had a lot of fun with Child of Light, Inside and those games really don't needed a monster machine. Just look into the success of Minecraft. Graphics and powerful machines doesn't make a game good if the game concept is flawed or the game play is boring.

And something about next week from twitter:
https://twitter.com/JezCorden/status/848643389763579904
DdzxZx7.png

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he say it was gonna be shown off? So it sounds like a reveal of the system itself will happen later. Maybe at E3 after all then.

DF and the like would be making articles as soon as MS say something anyway. So it kind of makes sense to just give them the scoop straight up.

UraMallas

I don't think an arrogant or over confident MS is the way to go even if the specs are great.

Extreme confidence in your specs isn't arrogant or overconfident if they deliver. We don't know if they will deliver yet but going to DF with it makes the leakers saying it's better than expected more credible. DF is not going to pull punches for MS is the point being made. It would then follow that MS is confident in the tech specs.

QuikNez

Can some blessed soul-lovely Gaffer please make a hype train? My Photoshop skills are non-existent... I'm pretty fn stoked new info is coming soon!

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Regarding podcast: Heard about advances in cooling and possibly smaller than the S model. Take with a massive pinch of salt. - 57 minutes in.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he say it was gonna be shown off? So it sounds like a reveal of the system itself will happen later. Maybe at E3 after all then.

He never said anything about the physical box being revealed. It was technical reveal using forza 7 to show off its capabilities. Sure the box will be revealed in may. E3 will be about the launch games price and date.

Colbert

Banned

He never said that it would be shown off iirc. Or at least I always understood it exactly that way like in the tweet and if you look into my post history I also always commented in that way.

Strootman

Listening to the podcast.

Xbox Scorpio could be smaller than xbox one s from what jez heard. Take this with a grain of salt tho.

iMax

Lots of talk around native 4K on Scorpio... I don't know how other people have experienced it but I've played games in both native 4K and checkerboard 4K and the difference is absolutely negligible.

In fact, with all the power Scorpio is packing, I think it'd be a complete waste to go native. I'd rather see all that extra power go elsewhere in other ways that make a more striking, visible difference.

McHuj

Regarding podcast: Heard about advances in cooling and possibly smaller than the S model. Take with a massive pinch of salt. - 57 minutes in.

Only if the power supply is not integrated. If anything it will be similar in size to the PS4 Pro if not bigger simply because it's also a AMD design on the same node. Coming a year later, it should have better performance/watt, but no one should expect miracles.

jez.c

Neo Member
So the "Scorpio news" was to be bad? And this podcast is saying, basically, hold your horses - it isn't ready yet? ('move along; nothing to see here.')

lol not exactly, I'm not very eloquent.

Timeline goes like this:

- I received two separate bits of info from separate sources saying Scorpio's dev kit needed June XDK update to hit its launch targets.

- I HEARD that DF or someone was going to leak Scorpio's specs.

- As I wasn't sure whether or not DF or whoever would know about the XDK not being completed, I decided it was time to leak that info as it would become pertinent following any leaks they had. Any assertions that Scorpio isn't hitting 6 TF would've been false, as the XDK wasn't ready yet.

- After posting that, I found out that DF or whoever WASN'T leaking, but was instead collaborating with Microsoft to get a look at the system. I confirmed that info with several sources.

- Finding that out confirmed other bits of info I had about Forza Motorsport 7. So I figured it was time to post it all up.

- wew

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Absolutely no fucking way this thing is smaller than the S. Especially if the power supply remains built in.

Unless liquid cooled?

Scorpio at 6TF is about 4x the performance of XB1. 4K is 4x the pixels of 1080p - that's all your extra power gone in an instant just for the higher resolution. 60fps would be another 2x which simply isn't available.

I hope they'll resist trying to play one-upmanship and have 'native 4k' purely as a bulletpointl I'd rather they use a form of reconstruction to get a high quality 4k output without using up all the extra performance, and then increase other aspects like lighting, shadows, world detail etc.
Scorpio is 4.5 times the xbone considering the raw processing power alone. But that doesn't count the architecture improvements, like the leaked docs from the DF piece earlier in the year, Scorpio has the new rasterizer from Vega and a 4x pixel increase only needs 3.5 times the processing power.

So there would still quite a lot of processing power for more complex shaders, and extra memory, and other architecture advancements like better tessellation.

UraMallas

lol not exactly, I'm not very eloquent.

Timeline goes like this:

- I received two separate bits of info from separate sources saying Scorpio's dev kit needed June XDK update to hit its launch targets.

- I HEARD that DF or someone was going to leak Scorpio's specs.

- As I wasn't sure whether or not DF or whoever would know about the XDK not being completed, I decided it was time to leak that info as it would become pertinent following any leaks they had. Any assertions that Scorpio isn't hitting 6 TF would've been false, as the XDK wasn't ready yet.

- After posting that, I found out that DF or whoever WASN'T leaking, but was instead collaborating with Microsoft to get a look at the system. I confirmed that info with several sources.

- Finding that out confirmed other bits of info I had about Forza Motorsport 7. So I figured it was time to post it all up.

- wew

So, MS then invites them in to explain what you've outlined and then let them test F7 on what would be their June unlocked 100% XDK?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Absolutely no fucking way this thing is smaller than the S. Especially if the power supply remains built in.

Unless liquid cooled?

Maybe, it is a premium device. I'd rather have an external PSU if it lets the console be small or to the similar scale of the S.

iMax

Podcast hints at a potential name that has been "banded around"...
"Xbox One X"

Gotta say, that works for me.

Just going to say right now that if they partner exclusively with Occulus and that's the only VR headset brand that you can use on it then I'm out. I hate VR exclusivity that much.

Just going to say right now that if they partner exclusively with Occulus and that's the only VR headset brand that you can use on it then I'm out. I hate VR exclusivity that much.

i think that was pretty much confirmed when carmack was on the MS stage in oculus playing minecraft. Plus the whole xbox controller packed in with the VR device

jez.c

Neo Member

VR partnership but not necessarily exclusivity. Microsoft is working with Dell, Acer, HP, and various other PC manufacturers to create HMDs.

Here's the ACER one, shown off at GDC 2017.

Wy8vEfJ.png

Fallout 4 VR has been announced for Scorpio and it's on Vive, so not sure about any Oculus exclusive talk considering what's happened between Zenimax and Oculus.

VR partnership but not necessarily exclusivity. Microsoft is working with Dell, Acer, HP, and various other PC manufacturers to create HMDs.

Here's the ACER one, shown off at GDC 2017.

Wy8vEfJ.png

This is reassuring. Still don't like the partnership if it's going to create exclusive content though. But if MS really is going to let me use whatever VR hardware I want then that is great. And especially if they really are helping others develop the tech.

jez.c

Neo Member
So, MS then invites them in to explain what you've outlined and then let them test F7 on what would be their June unlocked 100% XDK?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I would presume that Microsoft would want to showcase Scorpio at its best, rather than what devs are currently working on, which is the in-progress XDK. They have to make sure new APIs don't get broken and that sorta thing when they ship XDK updates, which will be going out monthly between now and June.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Fallout 4 VR has been announced for Scorpio and its on Vive, so not sure about any Oculus exclusive talk considering what's happened between Zenimax and Oculus.

Yeah, I think it would be a mistake for Microsoft to limit Scorpio to one VR platform. I think it's likely they may team up with one for marketing purposes, but it would be unwise for them to limit their premium console to one device (plus Scorpio being able to run multiple headsets will give them an advantage over PS4/PS4 Pro).

Top Bottom