• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAMADAN 2013 thread of 18 hour fasts | Eid Mubarak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mn4LBSM.jpg

Welcome to Ramadan 2013 thread. What is Ramadan? I will use Colorado State University website to help out with the details

What is Ramadan?
Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. The much-anticipated start of the month is based on a combination of physical sightings of the moon and astronomical calculations. The practice varies from place to place, some places relying heavily on sighting reports and others totally on calculations. In the United States, most communities follow the decision of the Islamic Society of North America, which accepts bonafide sightings of the new moon anywhere in the United States as the start of the new month. The end of the month, marked by the celebration of 'Eid-ul-Fitr, is similarly determined.
Why is Ramadan special?
Ramadan is a special month of the year for over one billion Muslims throughout the world. It is a time for inner reflection, devotion to God, and self-control. Muslims think of it as a kind of tune-up for their spiritual lives. There are as many meanings of Ramadan as there are Muslims.

The third "pillar" or religious obligation of Islam, fasting has many special benefits. Among these, the most important is that it is a means of learning self-control. Due to the lack of preoccupation with the satisfaction of bodily appetites during the daylight hours of fasting, a measure of ascendancy is given to one's spiritual nature, which becomes a means of coming closer to God. Ramadan is also a time of intensive worship, reading of the Qur'an, giving charity, purifying one's behavior, and doing good deeds.

As a secondary goal, fasting is a way of experiencing hunger and developing sympathy for the less fortunate, and learning to thankfulness and appreciation for all of God's bounties. Fasting is also beneficial to the health and provides a break in the cycle of rigid habits or overindulgence.
Who Fasts in Ramadan?
While voluntary fasting is recommended for Muslims, during Ramadan fasting becomes obligatory. Sick people, travelers, and women in certain conditions are exempted from the fast but must make it up as they are able. Perhaps fasting in Ramadan is the most widely practiced of all the Muslim forms of worship.
What are the requirements of fasting during Ramadan?
The daily period of fasting starts at the breaking of dawn and ends at the setting of the sun. In between -- that is, during the daylight hours -- Muslims totally abstain from food, drink, smoking, and marital sex. The usual practice is to have a pre-fast meal (suhoor) before dawn and a post-fast meal (iftar) after sunset.
Last 10 days of Ramadan
The last ten days of Ramadan are a time of special spiritual power as everyone tries to come closer to God through devotions and good deeds. The night on which the first verses of the Qur'an were revealed to the Prophet, known as the Night of Power (Lailat ul-Qadr), is generally taken to be the 27th night of the month. The Qur'an states that this night is better than a thousand months. Therefore many Muslims spend the entire night in prayer.

During the month, Muslims try to read as much of the Qur'an as they can. Most try to read the whole book at least once. Some spend part of their day listening to the recitation of the Qur'an in a mosque.
Food!!
Since Ramadan is a special time, Muslims in many parts of the world prepare certain favorite foods during this month.

It is a common practice for Muslims to break their fast at sunset with dates (iftar), following the custom of Prophet Muhammad. This is followed by the sunset prayer, which is followed by dinner. Since Ramadan emphasizes community aspects and since everyone eats dinner at the same time, Muslims often invite one another to share in the Ramadan evening meal.

Some Muslims find that they eat less for dinner during Ramadan than at other times due to stomach contraction. However, as a rule, most Muslims experience little fatigue during the day since the body becomes used to the altered routine during the first week of Ramadan.
Every Ramadan Neogaffers share what mouth watering delicacies they eat during iftar and how their fasts are going. At Ohio State (the school I went to), we invited fellow non-Muslims to take part in fasting, early morning suhoor meals and iftar dinners. In this spirit, everyone is invited to try a day or two of fasting and see how it feels to be famished :)

ISNA said:
The Fiqh Council of North America (FCNA) confirms that 1st Day of Ramadan 1434 is Tuesday, July 9, 2013.

The decision of FCNA is based on astronomical calculations. In United States, the new moon was born in California on Monday, July 8 at 12:16 a.m. and it is setting in California about 11 minutes after sunset. There is also a possibility of moon sighting in the Pacific Polynesian islands this evening.

On the basis of these facts, those who agree that astronomical calculations are an acceptable method of deterring the Islamic lunar months, including Ramadan and Shawwal, should not have any confusion because of the decision of some countries overseas.

In our publications and on our website www.fiqhcouncil.org we have fully explained why astronomical calculations are an acceptable method of determining the Islamic lunar months.

May Allah accept the fasting of all Muslims and bless us all in Ramadan and always.
Ameen
Hilal said:
Ramadan will begin on Wednesday, July 10, 2013. There were no moon sighting reports from anywhere in North America.

Ramadan begins next week. It's helpful to do tryouts before it actually starts so the body gets tuned when Ramadan actually starts, and you don't go crazy in your first day of fasting at work/school.

Let your bodies begin the spiritual detox.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Fasting till at least 10pm this year :eek:

I'll try to skip on most sweets and delicacies this year however, probably just a few dates when breaking and after a decently sized meal split in two

Thanks for the thread brother. Ramadan kareem!

Found this on google if you want a banner or something!

EDIT: 10 PM for us in Denmark too.

Asalamalakum MuslimGAF been looking foward to this fast for awhile now. Houston use to be a rough fasting area but with my air condtioned job Ill avoid most of the heat this ramadan. Fasting tends to help strengthen my disicipline which couldn't come at a better time with me losing thirty-two pounds since March.

Chris R

I looked up the times people here would be fasting... 4:40AM to 11:29PM is craaaaaaaaazy. No wonder some of the people fast in schedule with where they were born or where their family came from instead of the actual sunrise/sunset times.

ZiZ

Happy Ramadhan, GAF.

People often forget that during the fast, abstaining from doing any bad deeds is more important than abstaining from eating and drinking.

“Whoever does not give up forged speech and evil actions, Allah is not in need of his leaving his food and drink (i.e. Allah will not accept his fasting.)” [Hadith narrated by Bukhari]

Happy Ramadhan, GAF.

People often forget that during the fast, abstaining from doing any bad deeds is more important than abstaining from eating and drinking.

“Whoever does not give up forged speech and evil actions, Allah is not in need of his leaving his food and drink (i.e. Allah will not accept his fasting.)” [Hadith narrated by Bukhari]

Good post. I need to work on my road rage verbal outbursts.

daftstar

Man, these next few years of Ramadan are gonna be brutal. When I realized it won't be in the winter months again for another 10 or so years, I was like damn...

Factoring in long days plus Tarawih prayers and my work schedule = no sleep lol.

Zapages

Happy Ramadan brothers!!! :)

I will have to make up about a week or so due to travel for school/research this year...

Also I will be teaching in the morning... I don't what is going to happen. Regardless, its going to be a crazy fun summer. :)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Happy Ramadan GAF!

Here in Indonesia, as always, the two biggest Islamic organizations: Muhammadiyah and NU are at odds on when the Ramadan really begins: IIRC one states that it stars at 8 and the other at 9.

Just gonna follow the government's date, I guess.

If I may ask, how's Ramadan changes your gaming habit, GAF?

NotMSRP

Americans need to fast too; we're so obese.

I demand every post on GAF either mentions food or shows a juicy pic during Ramadan.

I thought last year was difficult.

It was easier last year when I was working from home so I could nap and finish my work at night. Not sure how productive I'll be at work now so I have to really stock up on some mental toughness.

Nonetheless I feel so good after fasting and its worth the troubles sometimes. Makes me feel like I can bench press a mountain or something.

First proper ramazan in America, gonna be a boring affair. I think i am really gonna miss pakistan for the first time in months..dat chilling with friends after iftar and month long happy feeling :(

It is weird how the Egyptian protests have been describe relative to Ramadan. It is like "If Morsi makes it to Ramadan then he wins because cause the protesters will literally lack the strength to keep fighting."

That's kinda fucked up.

First proper ramazan in America, gonna be a boring affair. I think i am really gonna miss pakistan for the first time in months..dat chilling with friends after iftar and month long happy feeling :(

I know that feeling. Ramadan/Eid hasn't been the same since my family moved from Bangladesh years ago. It just doesn't have that same festive atmosphere here in the US, not to mention the lack of 100s of friends and cousins and cousins of friends to break fast and hang out with.

vareon

Hard mode, eh? Here it's just about 12 hours as usual. Tropical country!

Happy Ramadan GAF!

Here in Indonesia, as always, the two biggest Islamic organizations: Muhammadiyah and NU are at odds on when the Ramadan really begins: IIRC one states that it stars at 8 and the other at 9.

Just gonna follow the government's date, I guess.

If I may ask, how's Ramadan changes your gaming habit, GAF?

Can't wait for the chaos that ensues in determining Eid again!

I plan on working out after I break my fast this year and last year I remember working out once or twice during Ramadan and having a ok experience with it.

Jabo

Ramadan Mubarak!

First time ever fasting away from family and relatives and in such a far away country (Japan) so it's kinda sad but that's life.

Gonna probably be 3 am to 7 pm. Excited to wake up and take trains and stuff while fasting (the mad level will be huge hahaha)

gillFTR

I've never worked out during fasting. I may this year. Do any of you work out during the month? If so, what's the schedule like?

I'm not Muslim, but I've fasted 2/22 splits for almost 2 months straight. 2 options, Wake up and work out, my preferred one is workout about an hour before I eat. You shouldn't be too worried unless your bulking good luck with that. Most Muslims I know plan a cut around Ramadan. I personally love the feeling of fasted workouts while trying to lose weight.

RiZ III

Gonna keep getting longer for the next few years right? Over here Maghrib is around 8:30 these days, so yea they'll be a bit long. Regardless, I'm looking forward to my month of mental, spiritual, and physical training :cool: I be pretty nervous to the days leading up to it, but once it starts its soothing. I love the atmosphere. It's always depressing when it ends. For a whole month it's like you're on training wheels which prevent you from doing bad, and then suddenly they're gone and you're in the wild again.

RiZ III

It is weird how the Egyptian protests have been describe relative to Ramadan. It is like "If Morsi makes it to Ramadan then he wins because cause the protesters will literally lack the strength to keep fighting."

That's kinda fucked up.

Wouldn't count on that. People have played competitive sports and been in battles while fasting. If anything their religious zeal might encourage them to fight for what they believe is right. Though the morsi protesters are the secularists aren't they? Not sure how many of them are practicing Muslims.

so it's gonna be 4:00 am to 8:00 pm here, will have to probably spend some time of later evening to lighten the load, so what time do you guys think is perfect for working out ?

also, iftar back home was a tasty but unhealthy affair, lots of fried stuff and such. Yáll got any guidelines for some healthy and nourishing food options ?

Ashes

Banned
I tend to give more charity during ramadhan. Perhaps there is some reason, as to why, empty stomachs make you [well me I suppose] more empathetic and charitable.

Omzz

Ramadan Mubarak!

Was unable to fast last year due to some health stuff so looking really forward to this one. But man the fasts are gonna be long

Wouldn't count on that. People have played competitive sports and been in battles while fasting. If anything their religious zeal might encourage them to fight for what they believe is right. Though the morsi protesters are the secularists aren't they? Not sure how many of them are practicing Muslims.
Many of them are not Muslims (Christians & Atheists) but that is a pretty small slice of Egypt in general. Most of the protesters are Muslim of some stripe.

Linkhero1

I've never worked out during fasting. I may this year. Do any of you work out during the month? If so, what's the schedule like?

First year I'm going to work out during Ramadan. I plan on going after Taraweeh and lift for about an hour. Nothing too excessive. I just need to keep my strength about the same as it is now.

Tizoc

Ramadan Kareem!
Fasting is 15 Hours over here...most of which would prob. be spent sleeping heh.

Kids might have it harder to fast through this year but inshallah they'll make it through.

I am able to work out for an hour or so at the gym and still not feel thirsty, so I would aim to go to the gym but be back home and ready for Futoor 30 mins. before it starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom