• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAMADAN 2013 thread of 18 hour fasts | Eid Mubarak!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdkee

Banned
First year I'm going to work out during Ramadan. I plan on going after Taraweeh and lift for about an hour. Nothing too excessive. I just need to keep my strength about the same as it is now.

That's the best way to do it. Just remember to eat eat eat though.

Ramadan is supposed to be either on the 9th or 10th of this month depending on moonsighting.

In Toronto, fasts start at 3:30-ish and end at around 9:00 PM. This makes Australia look so tempting, heh.

Happy Ramadan my fellow Muslim gaffers. This month is great to all of us muslims

This year we will be fasting till 6:40 PM in where we are from (Saudi Arabia)

I would like to thank NeoGaf for respecting this. Much respect :)

I'm amazed that people that do this can carry on with their jobs as normal.

Mad respect :)

Believe me its very hard especially that our summer goes 50 degrees

But at the end this is a part of our religion and we must do it

Thank you :)

Cyan

Banned
What do you mean by easier and harder?

It was easier to just not eat than I had expected, probably due to the fact that, well, it's just not an option! On the other hand, sitting there watching my coworkers eat was pretty hard. :p

Much respect to those who do it for an entire month.

Azih

Long ass days plus first time with a hyper one year old running around everywhere urrrrrgggghhhhh.

Ramadan Mubarak everyone!

Kraftwerk

I was born a Muslim, and I do Intermittent Fasting every day. I wil definitely be fasting this year. I will also be quitting smoking at the same time.

As others have said, it isn't really about not eating and "RELIGION". TO me it is more about cleansing the body and mind. Sort of a reset button.

Definitely recommend it to everyone. Fasting has always made me feel amazing.

Ashes

Banned
I was born a Muslim, and I do Intermittent Fasting every day. I wil definitely be fasting this year. I will also be quitting smoking at the same time.

As others have said, it isn't really about not eating and "RELIGION". TO me it is more about cleansing the body and mind. Sort of a reset button.

I disagree. Fasting in Ramadan is 100% about religion. If an irreligious person fasts during Ramadan, I take them to be a tourist. Nothing else.
I don't understand why you'd forgo thinking about sex, and masterbating, before sundown. :p

This is going to be brutal. It's gotten more and more difficult for me over the years (I'm hypoglycemic). -__-

Pray for me guys, I need the strength to get through.

EDIT: 6 days...guh...

Ramadan Mubarak to you all though. Good luck. =]

F#A#Oo

Banned
We should take this month seriously, one time the prophet (pbuh) was giving the khutbah and while he was climbing those 3 steps, after the first step he said "Ameen", after the 2nd step he said "Ameen" and after the 3rd step he said "Ameen". The sahabas said you did something different today; what was this, he (pbuh) said the angel Jibreel came and made 3 duas. 1) curse that person who has old parents and cannot achieve paradise by taking care of them. 2) curse that person when the prophet (pbuh) name is mentioned and he doesn't say sallallahu alayhi wasallam. 3) finally curse that person who cannot achieve any forgiveness in the month of Ramadan.

AAK

Ottawa Here: Fajr at 3:25, Maghreb at 8:45. 17:20 Hours. Bring it,

I'm fasting today to prepare myself.

zroid

Banned
Ramadan's always been weird for me. My family is largely muslim, and many are fairly devoted. My parents are closeted / in-denial agnostics (lol) and I was raised secularly. I've never fasted, while much of my extended family does so. Maybe this year I'll give it a try, just for the experience.

Mubarak, gang.

adelante

Every year in the days leading up to fasting month I always forget I need to make amendments to my gym routine. Abstaining from food is the least of my concerns haha *sigh* I should just get a workout bench for home. Happy Ramadhan to fellow muslim Gaffers!

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
It was easier to just not eat than I had expected, probably due to the fact that, well, it's just not an option! On the other hand, sitting there watching my coworkers eat was pretty hard. :p

Much respect to those who do it for an entire month.

Yeah, I get pretty concious about my eating habits around my Muslim friends at this time of year. It's hot as fuck, so I'm not going to BBQ during the day anyway, so it's not like they get excluded from our parties or anything (and, yeah, I keep it halal), but going to lunch just doesn't happen. I also feel bad about going to eat Middle Eastern at lunch. It's one thing to avoid the presence of food... it's another to be handling the it for other people and saying "DON'T EAT THIS, DON'T EAT THIS" in your head.

AAK

So here are the results for today's test drive, Fast started at 3:23. And will end in 25 minutes at 8:55 PM. I also bicycle approximately 14 km towards and back from school. Still feel like I can go on for another 2-3 hours
Although I did get approximately 7 hours of sleep throughout my fast :p
. Will fast again this Thursday to make sure I'm ready. Taraweeh is gonna be tough but InshAllah I'll pull through.

This does help me a bit during Taraweeh prayers. Since I don't understand Arabic (can only read) I have a translation of the Qur'an on my phone that I follow throughout the Taraweeh so I can focus a lot more. Let's make the most out of this month everyone :)

aktham

Ramadan Kareem everyone. Good thing I'll be on overnight shift for Ramadan. Hopefully that is not considered cheating :D

beast786

happy Ramadan to all.

Lets do this

70986Rooh%20Afza.jpg

That and Mangoes with some lassi

Thats how we do it

joker-and-here-we-go.gif

So here are the results for today's test drive, Fast started at 3:23. And will end in 25 minutes at 8:55 PM. I also bicycle approximately 14 km towards and back from school. Still feel like I can go on for another 2-3 hours
Although I did get approximately 7 hours of sleep throughout my fast :p
. Will fast again this Thursday to make sure I'm ready. Taraweeh is gonna be tough but InshAllah I'll pull through.

This does help me a bit during Taraweeh prayers. Since I don't understand Arabic (can only read) I have a translation of the Qur'an on my phone that I follow throughout the Taraweeh so I can focus a lot more. Let's make the most out of this month everyone :)
Awesome!

Fasting is fun. I generally get depressed if I miss fasting one day out of Ramadhan.

It's sorta like a personal achievement run now.

Omzz

The dreaded "Ramadan Breath." I seriously try to have little verbal interaction as possible with people. When I do though, I tend to stand about 2-3 feet away and people end up confused lol

With regards to the people thinking about their workout plans, you could read a little about Intermetient Fasting. A workout technique where you fast for a set amount of hours and then have a time-frame where you eat. Much like your everyday Ramadan fasting. I'm going to try it out this year with a friend!

Deified Data, yes that's usually how it goes!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
The dreaded "Ramadan Breath." I seriously try to have little verbal interaction as possible with people. When I do though, I tend to stand about 2-3 feet away and people end up confused lol
Definitely a problem sometimes when the mouth goes all dry during warm days but since I started using tongue scrapers a few years back I guess I almost never have the problem myself anymore (I also tend to brush a few times more during the day just to keep my mouth fresh)

survivor

Banned
Ottawa Here: Fajr at 3:25, Maghreb at 8:45. 17:20 Hours. Bring it,

I'm fasting today to prepare myself.

Ah fuck, that's how long I'm gonna be fasting for? And I have school till the end of July so it's not like I can just sleep at 6 in the morning till few hours before sunset.

vareon

So am I right in reading that you fast for most of the day, but end every day with a special blowout feast?

Nah, that would be the wrong way to do it (and doesn't make that much sense anyway if you tried it). But it is generally accepted that something sweet would be nice, at least that's how my family do it.

This reminds me I really wanted to try fasting in other countries, particularly the four season ones. Really wanted to try dat 18 hour fasts.

Um, brushing your teeth is allowed during fasting. It's not encouraged, so it depends on your situation.

Edit: I normally never go to Islamqa because it is full of hardline muftis, but a source from islamqa saying it's ok means it's a big deal.

Aadil

Banned
Ramadan - GAF, can i get some advice please...I havent fasted in about 2 years, my excuse, is that its hot, i work with kids and expend a lot of energy during the day, and its hot. The food aint an issue....its just the water.

Anybody have any recommendations as to how to overcome this (its more of a mental thing right?) cuz Id like to try and atleast keep a few this year.

We are doing from 6am - 8pm. Northwest China.

Omzz

Um, brushing your teeth is allowed during fasting. It's not encouraged, so it depends on your situation.

Edit: I normally never go to Islamqa because it is full of hardline muftis, but a source from islamqa saying it's ok means it's a big deal.

Oh I know brushing teeth is allowed. Just that you have to brush more often than usual throughout the day now just to have decent breath!

faridmon

Ramadan - GAF, can i get some advice please...I havent fasted in about 2 years, my excuse, is that its hot, i work with kids and expend a lot of energy during the day, and its hot. The food aint an issue....its just the water.

Anybody have any recommendations as to how to overcome this (its more of a mental thing right?) cuz Id like to try and atleast keep a few this year.

We are doing from 6am - 8pm. Northwest China.

Sometimes it is recommended to follow the middle east time-zone if your fasting becomes unbearable. Also, you can break your fasting, in the intention of it being done in another day of the year.

But do not ask on GAF, ask your scholar, whatever. He would be helpful.... hopefully!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Nah, that would be the wrong way to do it (and doesn't make that much sense anyway if you tried it). But it is generally accepted that something sweet would be nice, at least that's how my family do it.

This reminds me I really wanted to try fasting in other countries, particularly the four season ones. Really wanted to try dat 18 hour fasts.

Dude, Indonesia is actually pretty perfect for fasting hours. You might THINK that you want to try that 18 hours fast, but back then when I was living in Switzerland during Ramadan, goddamn!

Fasting starts at around 4, IIRC, and ends around 9 P.M or even sometimes 9.30, and all the while it's SNOWING and FREEZING. Once, it was -2 Celcius on exactly 12 noon! Maybe that's not so bad for European and such since they're used to winter, but for me who up to that point only experienced living in a tropical country? Goddamn! (sorry God, hahaha)

Oh, not to mention back then I was working in a restaurant, making food all the time and cocktails during the day. It's certainly a Ramadan to remember, hahahaha.

In Judaism, during the holiday of Yom Kippur, we fast one day, and that's hard enough. I can't imagine fasting for ten days straight. Best of luck to all of you.

Al-ibn Kermit

Same, I like to do a day or two every year (especially when visiting family lol). Quitting smoking at the same time must make it harder as your appetite should increase, I recently quit smoking though and didn't see a huge increase in appetite but I definitely felt like eating more often throughout the day. I had lots of caffeine to help get off the nicotine withdrawl for the first 48 hours.

Good luck!

Lkr

So no eating/drinking but can you guys drink water? I imagine you would have to with so many Muslims in the Middle East

vareon

Dude, Indonesia is actually pretty perfect for fasting hours. You might THINK that you want to try that 18 hours fast, but back then when I was living in Switzerland during Ramadan, goddamn!

Fasting starts at around 4, IIRC, and ends around 9 P.M or even sometimes 9.30, and all the while it's SNOWING and FREEZING. Once, it was -2 Celcius on exactly 12 noon! Maybe that's not so bad for European and such since they're used to winter, but for me who up to that point only experienced living in a tropical country? Goddamn! (sorry God, hahaha)

Oh, not to mention back then I was working in a restaurant, making food all the time and cocktails during the day. It's certainly a Ramadan to remember, hahahaha.

Damn, restaurant work in Switzerland with 20-hour fasts? That's hardcore mode lol.

So no eating/drinking but can you guys drink water? I imagine you would have to with so many Muslims in the Middle East

No water either, but in case of emergency (situations may vary from people to people) you can cancel the fast for the day and replace it with another day outside of Ramadan. I'm of the opinion that fasting is not as hard as it may sound to those who never do so.

Ashes

Banned
The ease and/or hardship of fasting is tied directly to one's environment. This may seem like common sense, well that's because it is. ;)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Damn, restaurant work in Switzerland with 20-hour fasts? That's hardcore mode lol.

The ease and/or hardship of fasting is tied directly to one's environment. This may seem like common sense, well that's because it is. ;)

Yeah, tell me about it. Everyone back in Switzerland didn't care about me fasting + working making FOOD like pasta, spaghetti, ice cream, etc and cocktails in a fine dining restaurant + freezing weather + 20 hours fast.... Hahahaha.

Zapages

Anyone got tips for suhoor meals? is rice good for fasts?

I usually go with the regular left overs from last night with about 4 cups of water (12 oz each) It keeps me hydrated with a cup of milk in the morning.

Anyway my local mosque has said 1st day of Ramadan is on Tuesday. :)

I usually go with the regular left overs from last night with about 4 cups of water (12 oz each) It keeps me hydrated with a cup of milk in the morning.

Anyway my local mosque has said 1st day of Ramadan is on Tuesday. :)

I'm pretty sure I will be going with leftovers too because we can't make fresh hot meals every day so early in the morning. But question is what kind of food takes longer to digest and you don't get headaches around 2-3pm. I did some research and found this:
Complex carbohydrates are foods that will help release
energy slowly during the long hours of fasting. Complex
carbohydrates are found in grains and seeds, like barley,
wheat, oats, millets, semolina, beans, lentils, wholemeal
flour, basmati rice, etc.
Fibre-rich foods are also digested slowly and include
bran, cereals, whole wheat, grains and seeds, potatoes
with the skin, vegetables such as green beans and
almost all fruit, including apricots, prunes, figs, etc.
I am not too sure about rice and cereals...those make me hungry in no time.

Zapages

I'm pretty sure I will be going with leftovers too because we can't make fresh hot meals every day so early in the morning. But question is what kind of food takes longer to digest and you don't get headaches around 2-3pm. I did some research and found this:

I am not too sure about rice and cereals...those make me hungry in no time.

Personally I never had rice in morning. Although our family friends have Biryani, Plao, or some rice dish everyday. They seem to do fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom