• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Super Smash Bros Switch images leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
while im leaning towards team fake, i think alot of people ought to go and read the ESRB leak thread back before that was confirmed.

so much crow

Does "with regret" mean that whatever he knows to be real is actually worse than this fake? Or does he simply regret entertaining a fake as potentially real?
Pretty sure he just meant he wishes it was real. He regrets being team fake, hence "with regret, I am now on TeamFake."

pronk420

maybe I'm missing something about how smash works but why are there split screen screenshots with different levels in each split?

Yeah, Tom is just saying he wishes the images were real, but he doesn't believe they are.

maybe I'm missing something about how smash works but why are there split screen screenshots with different levels in each split?

SSB for 3DS had a mode called Smash Run where every player runs through a massive labyrinth. That image is portraying a split-screen local version of Smash Run (since it was wireless-only on 3DS).

ec0ec0

Gotta bring back the classic.

h2N6plc.gif

Saddly for bugs bunny, we're in rabbit season. RIP.

You are reading too much on this tweet... He could be on the fence and see the bowser Jr name mixed with the 1p or the font changes and change his mind like some people here.

Nothing implies that he had new info FOR THIS FAKE

With regret can just be "I wanted this images to be real"

The thing is there are some people in this thread who have known inside info in the past who seem pretty confident that this is fake. That leads me to believe there's some inside info making the rounds (and Tom Phillips usually has the same info that's making the rounds around here) which contradicts this leak.

So that would be either Smash not being at E3 (or coming any time soon) or Smash Switch being completely new, different stages, different art style, something obvious which differentiates it from these screenshots.

Kandinsky

In all honestly, I hope it's fake anyway, Nintendo should skip deluxing Smash 4 and just go all on Smash 5 for 2018-early 2019.

Firehead

Too many inconsistencies in this screenshot in particular:

-Incorrect font.
-No shadow from Yoshi on the platform.
-The egg should be leaving a rainbow trail.
-Targets aren't Smash 4 targets, but rather Melee.
-Portion of the stage doesn't match up to the original Melee stage. Particularly, the area to the right of the log bridge.

And more on the font:

They've been consistent about using the same font for the timer and health percentage since Melee. The health percentage is the typical font in this image:

If these are real, Nintendo's getting sloppy.
I highly doubt that though.

I'm calling fake. Well done... But still fake.

PtM

Banned
Nah, the 4chan thread says that the screenshots are for a Japanese magazine and there is a screenshot with "Bowser Jr." instead of "Koopa Jr."

I'll report what I said in the other thread.

So the thing I find most suspicious is that the characters blend into the background art in those screens.

If you look at how Smash Bros games are made, the backgrounds are somewhat more faded to help the characters stand out and be instantly readable.

They also seem to be very texture heavy without much normal mapping (I could be seeing this wrong, admittedly, it's pretty zoomed out), which strikes me as odd for a current-gen game (or a recent game at all).

That said, anything with this much effort should usually at least be humored.

The Wii U version uses higher detail models (and textures, and lighting) than the 3DS version does. The Switch is more powerful than the Wii U even in portable mode, so it would make little sense for them to use the inferior models.

Yea these look fake to me since the characters looks like upscaled 3DS models, due to their textures.

Like Luigi from the bottom right looks like he has the same ambient occulsion textures and purplish pants from the 3DS version, where as the smash wii u version has a darker blue color and the denim has polygons.

dZ1bLys.png

hni_0063_by_mrcookieblaster-d81smsb.jpg

Charluigi(1).jpg

Yup and it's not an english version either because that one uses "P1" "P2" etc. instead of "1P" like on the japanese screenshots.

So it is using the English name of Bowser Jr. with the Japanese convention of player naming. Dubious.

An example of japanese gameplay using "Koopa Jr." and "1P" conventions
5CSwILW.png

And here is the english version using "Bower Jr." and "P1"
x4gCaCe.png

If I wanted to be overly analytical, I'd point out two things with this image:

h1LFT5A.png

One, the shadows underneath toon link don't quite match up. The shadow of the top right screen is further to the right than it is on the bottom left screen.

Secondly, and this one really stands out more than anything, but shouldn't there be a (2P ->) symbol on the right side of the bottom left screen? Usually in smash if something is just off screen there is something to show this. Either a simply icon marker with an arrow, or in some cases a full circle with a fully animated small model of the character that is just off screen.

That's the same Break the Target stage that Yoshi had in Melee.

LGAZyCw.png

The font here is completely wrong. It would be using the same ones used through the entire game for both UI counter and clock.

Screen_Shot_2017_05_30_at_4_19_58_PM.png

Too many inconsistencies in this screenshot in particular:

-Incorrect font.
-No shadow from Yoshi on the platform.
-The egg should be leaving a rainbow trail.
-Targets aren't Smash 4 targets, but rather Melee.
-Portion of the stage doesn't match up to the original Melee stage. Particularly, the area to the right of the log bridge.

And more on the font:

They've been consistent about using the same font for the timer and health percentage since Melee. The health percentage is the typical font in this image:

If this are real, Nintendo's getting sloppy.
I highly doubt that though.

I'm calling fake. Well done... But still fake.

OP, do you copy?

Good fakes, and certainly had my hopes up for a while... but very fake.

I would love literally everything I'm seeing in the screenshots, though.

On new subject if we're going to get the reveal at E3, who do y'all think would announce on that day?
Inklings and Spring Man.

And Ridley.

On a side note, no Smash leak will ever get my hopes up as much only to make them come crashing down as the Shovel Knight screens that popped up a while back alongside a Runbow stage. Cruel and unusual teasing.

On new subject if we're going to get the reveal at E3, who do y'all think would announce on that day?

Inklings
Spring Man/Ribbon Girl
Bomberman
Ice Climbers and/or Wolf
Release March next year

I also feels there's a solid chance at another sidescroller levels mode like Adventure/Subspace.

Kouriozan

Ice Climbers are definitely coming back.
Bomberman would be nice.
Rayman will get his chance unlike Chrom.
Inkling are pretty much surely getting in, new IP selling 1,4M+ in Japan alone will make Sakurai include them.

Neoxon

The Bowser Jr "contradiction" doesn't mean diddly fuck. They could've easily just changed the name for a new version.
Not likely, they still refer to him as Koopa Jr. in Japan for other games (MK8D included). Plus there's the other inconsistencies mentioned

Reasons I think this is real

- The stages don't re-use assets from the 3DS, there's tons of screenshots of various stages and areas and they're all redone and look great. That's a ton of work for a fake, not that it's impossible... but that PM stage is really convincing.
- I expect Smash 4 Switch to be announced at E3, so the timing is fine

Reasons I think this is fake

- The inconsistencies in localization between Jr's name and and 1P/P1 thing is weird and hard to explain away
- Those are just up-rez'd 3DS models and not Wii U models which makes no sense at all. There would be no reason for them to ever use the 3DS models. Even in handheld mode, the Wii U models have LOD models, they could just use those (or just make more based on the Wii U models if they need to go even more optimized). I can't think of any reason at all that this would be the case where the 3DS models would be used.
- Mario's name is centered on the health bar. Could be a style change for the port... but I doubt it.
- There's just nothing "new" here. No new characters. No new stages. Not even new Smash Run enemies, items, powers, or anything. Nothing that would require doing more than redoing already existing maps from the 3DS version. Yoshi's target test isn't even new, it's just the Melee stage.
- The font on Yoshi's target stage is inconsistent with the Smash font.

I don't think this is real, but those stages are really hard to argue against.

dukeoflegs

That first image with Mario looks off. Mario seems too close to the camera or his character model doesn't look right. I can't really describe what I feel, but it just isn't quite right.

Platy

The thing is there are some people in this thread who have known inside info in the past who seem pretty confident that this is fake. That leads me to believe there's some inside info making the rounds (and Tom Phillips usually has the same info that's making the rounds around here) which contradicts this leak.

So that would be either Smash not being at E3 (or coming any time soon) or Smash Switch being completely new, different stages, different art style, something obvious which differentiates it from these screenshots.

OR Smash 4 Switch being LITERALLY SMash 4 Wiiu+3DS+DLC

so no break the targets

Tyeforce

At the initial reveal, if it's revealed at E3? All I'd expect for sure is Inkling, and maybe Ice Climbers. If there are more characters to be revealed, though? Well...

2Vw0P0i.png

giphy.gif

After Inkling and Ice Climbers, Chorus Kids, Decidueye, Elma, Spring Man, Wolf, and Snake make up my pool of expected characters.

Pokemaniac

This is pretty clearly fake.

You gotta admire how much work people put into these fake Smash leaks, though. Even with the huge pile of inconsistencies, someone clearly put a decent amount of work into this.

To be honest, I wouldn't entirely be surprised if Smash 4 Switch turns out to not actually exist.

I mean, back in 2015, we all chanted how Wolf was a "complete shoo-in" for DLC and how he'd obviously come back. And look how that turned out.

At the initial reveal, if it's revealed at E3? All I'd expect for sure is Inkling, and maybe Ice Climbers. If there are more characters to be revealed, though? Well...

2Vw0P0i.png

giphy.gif

After Inkling and Ice Climbers, Chorus Kids, Decidueye, Elma, Spring Man, Wolf, and Snake make up my pool of expected characters.

I could see Decidueye not being a standalone fighter, but rather part of "Alola Pokemon Trainer" now that we don't have the CPU issues that got Ice Climbers and transformation characters cut.

Maybe add a Rabbid. I don't see snake returning, since his inclusion had to do with Sakurai and Kojima's friendship.

Inkling's costume breakdown should be: 3x Inkling Girl, 3x Inkling Boy, Callie, Marie

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Why is everyone always so obsessed with Chorus Kids? I can come up with a dozen better representatives of Rhythm Heaven easily.

Dierce

Im going with fake simply because I doubt Nintendo will release all their major IPs this year. They have to same some for next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom