• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Zelda coming to both Wii U + NX, choose between male/female link, VA for NPCs

Who would you like to be the female character option in Zelda U?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I legit don't get the logic/rationale that people are using to say they would legit prefer a slight (if that) model change to Link is preferable to Zelda.

whynotboth.gif

I'd be happy with either. I'd like Link to have her adventures. I'd also like Zelda to have her adventures.

diaspora

Link is generally a different age, height, and sometimes even different hair colours. Gender options though?!
/s

21XX

Banned
Will get both. Will play male on one, female on the other. Can't wait.

Hope voice acting is as good as KI:U. What else has NOA done with good VA?

Link is the hero chosen by the triforce. Doesn't have to be male. There is nothing link does that a woman couldn't do.

And I hope the writing is nothing like it.

These would be cool additions to the franchise. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Vena

image.php

What does Boy Marth prove? :p

moggio

Banned
Link has always been pretty androgynous and asexual anyway.

Is there any evidence he hasn't been a female all along?

mantidor

Maybe. I think female Link is a result of Aonuma listening to fan feedback. I don't really think it was on his mind when this trailer was shown.

Of course it is, he confirmed in interviews that was not a female Link, but the internet bugged him so much I guess he thought it could be interesting.

If this whole thing is true of course.

-Horizon-

They're different each time.

Samus is one storyline.

Mario is the same.

Link is different every time. Not a man or woman, but a hero.

And I'm thinking WAY too much about this.
You're not overthinking this, people who say female link can't happen are the ones overthinking this.

Aonuma teased this shit years ago:

I always thought that was his cryptic way of saying "It's female Link".
Aonuma trolling.
#DontBelieveHisLies

Happy about the NPC voice acting. It's been a looooong time coming. I thought Skyward Sword's presentation really felt antiquated without it.

Can't wait for this game!

If there is voice acting, I kind of want them to speak hyrulian or whatever. Not english. Would probably save money on voice acting too since you don't need to pay for an english dub of hryulian lol.

Arkeband

Banned
I'd want Zelda to be the playable character, and I've already posted my thorough dissemination of why the name "Link" is not just a noun, but an actual male name, and has been used as a male name since the early 1900's in fiction and in real life, so simply naming a female character "Link" would be dumb.

Apparently no one actually gives a shit about onomastics, so whatever.

Dimmle

Chû Totoro;200483132 said:
Link is never the same but Link IS male.

Linkle could "work" the same way aka never being the same but always being female.

imo having different gameplay and characteristics is way better if you want a good representation of women and also something more interesting for players.

It's not like a woman is a man with boobs and no penis... people, come on. Women and men are different and it's a good thing so embrace the differences and don't try to make everyone having no genre at all so you could claim everywhere that you're the most inclusive person in the world.

... anyway we'll see, I'm just hoping for something interesting story / gameplay wise (at least one)

what's happening in this post

I'm going with the original leak on this, not someone else confirming the original leak, because then we might be getting into second hand sources and stuff.

Emily Rogers isn't the original source. She heard it from someone else too. Nintendo World Report also heard it from someone else.

They're both second-hand. You either believe both or you believe none, but it's the same rumour with the same origin. Other people are saying it also.

Mr Git

Why can't Mario be a woman? Or Sonic? Why can't Samus be a man?

Exactly the same thing. And no, Link isn't an avatar. He is a character like the rest. Established and part of a brand.

I think Link more so than those other characters is absolutely ripe for this option. The various Links are different but recurring characters in different times. Link is Nintendo's Avatar.

sinxtanx

Link can't be a girl, here's why: *ever-shifting goalpost semantics*

Curious about whether the voice acting would be Japanese/English or made up Hylian.
I'd prefer Hylian, made up languages are fun, and voice acting have a much lower chance of sounding bad that way.

Thinking about it again and considering it true for a moment. What the hell is going on Nintendo? They fucked with XCX and lost a huge opportunity of putting Elma as the main character. Now they will do the same thing with Link. They will kill my hype about my top 2 most anticipated game from this generation.

...Link being female would kill your hype?

Why?

Neoxon

Will get both. Will play male on one, female on the other. Can't wait.

Hope voice acting is as good as KI:U. What else has NOA done with good VA?
The recent Fire Emblem games (more so Awakening) had solid voice acting, & Star Fox Zero is showing promise in the voice acting front. That being said, Nintendo has avoided unionized voice actors (Troy Baker, Nolan North, Steve Blum, Tara Strong, Jennifer Hale, Cree Summers, etc.) since the release of Kid Icarus Uprising. In fact, the only unionized VAs I can think of in recent memory are Grey DeLisle (voice of Jeanne, though that could be more because of PlatinumGames) & Roger Craig Smith (voice of Sonic, who had his lines recycled from Generations for Smash 4 instead of coming in to re-record). Pit & Dark Pit/Pittoo's voice actor, Anthony Del Rio, is a bit of a mystery for me since he did some uncredited voice work for Fire Emblem Fates.

Trago

Link is a character? In what way? He's an avatar, a blank slate for the player. Having him female doesn't change a thing.

Link = The hero of Hyrule

That title being gender neutral wouldn't be strange at all right?

Link has always been pretty androgynous and asexual anyway.

Is there any evidence he hasn't been a female all along?
That's not true at all, how did this became a thing on the internet?

There's actually not a single game where he looks androgynous aside from the new Zelda.

He's a boy / dude in every game and you can see that.

Zelda II
link-20071127104426603-000.jpg

Majoras Mask
latest

Ocarina of Time
latest

latest

Twilight Princess

Minish Cap / Wind Waker / etc.
latest

Skyward Sword
latest

moggio

Banned
That's not true at all, how did this became a thing on the internet?

There's actually not a single game where he looks androgynous aside from the new Zelda.

He's a boy / dude in every game and you can see that.

Yeah. Proves my point.

Getting Mulan vibes from all of those.

Why can't Mario be a woman? Or Sonic? Why can't Samus be a man?

I mean, for one thing, none of these characters are routinely presented as a fresh reincarnation of a legendary hero every couple installments.

And for another thing, none of these characters were ever professed to be a stand-in for the player who the player could give their own name.

But it's cool, you can extrapolate that actually carving out a place for this character in the world in more recent games and giving other characters preexisting relationships with him totally abrogates either of those qualities.

To be completely honest, I really don't understand the people who think link can only be male because that's his "established character" or whatever. There's really no reason link should be male and all arguments against the change seem like one of those "it's been like this forever, so no need to change it" things. Which is a terrible attitude to have.

If they don't give you the option to make Link black, Nintendo is confirmed racist.
Not racist but it would be great if they include such a thing and any criticism they have for not including would be fair imo.

Akai

I'd honestly rather have a female playable character be original rather than "female Link". Give me a reason to play through the game as the other character instead if we can choose.

To be completely honest, I have really don't understand the people who think link can only be male because that's his "established character" or whatever. There's really no reason link should be male and all arguments against the change seem like one of those "it's been like this forever, so no need to change it" things. Which is a terrible attitude to have.

But Zelda's been 2D for 12 years. Making a 3D game would be a huge mistake. You don't just change an established brand like that. It'd be like making a 3D Mario. Boy would that be one of the greatest fuckups in gaming.

Yeah, "change = automatically bad" arguments make no sense. There's no real reason behind it beyond "it's not what I'm used to".

braves01

Banned
I wish we got some info about whether there's a skin tone slider. I'd like height and weight sliders too but I'm not sure if that'd be a pain to account for wrt hit detection and so on.

Earth-shattering.... meh, welcome to the 21st century I guess? Not really anything surprising or worth going crazy about. Good to have the option for a female Link though.

The rumours are pretty exciting, but it's funny at the same time that voice acting for a Zelda game in this day and age is actually considered big news.

Ascenion

This Link gender thing is ridiculous, I don't see why Link can't be a female. Link is a blank slate with the personality of a piece of cardboard and the utility of a Swiss Army Knife. Link is hardly ever referred to by pronouns, looks androgynous anyway and personally I've always seen Link as the player. Link can be anyone, this simply reinforces that. It is a win. Playable Zelda would be awesome to, I'll still beg for that but it's Nintendo. I will take what I can get.

Yep, call me a closest sexist because I understand how a 30 year old brand works. Go ahead, it helps

Link is always reborn again. You say you know the brand, but you're really not showing it tbh.

Female Link to save the prince?

Yuuuuck.

I'll play as Li k and forget about any other options. This is stupid. Do like the rest of the rumors, though.

How do you know a female Link would save a prince? Can't a female Link save Zelda?

The only thing female Link adds is options, which is cool. But indifferent either way. It'll probably have as much effect on the story as Pokemon. Very little to none.

Top Bottom