• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Zelda coming to both Wii U + NX, choose between male/female link, VA for NPCs

Who would you like to be the female character option in Zelda U?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Arkeband

Banned
pun
pən/
noun
a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words that sound alike but have different meanings.
"the pigs were a squeal (if you'll forgive the pun)"

What was this supposed to mean? Because it's a "pun", it's not also a name?

>Zelda got second in the poll
hqdefault.jpg

Neoxon

Why? They have a lot of money, do Nintendo.
After the release of Kid Icarus Uprising, Nintendo has avoided the use of unionized voice actors altogether. This was glaringly obvious in Smash 4, where the only unionized English VA in the game (Roger Craig Smith) had his lines recycled from an older game. This is why I'm hoping that Nintendo doesn't skimp on the voice acting budget for this game.

The first one and windwaker look very feminine. Oracle of ages and Seasons also look androgynous. Link always looks VERY feminie though. He hardly have muscles or anything. He's like a peter pan figure. Nothing wrong with that.
He doesn't look feminine, I feel like you people are reading far too much into this thing.

Ask 100 random people on the street about these artworks, what do you think their response is to his gender? Certainly not female.

Nothing in the games indicates this either.

After the release of Kid Icarus Uprising, Nintendo has avoided the use of unionized voice actors altogether. This was glaringly obvious in Smash 4, where the only unionized English VA in the game (Roger Craig Smith) had his lines recycled from an older game. This is why I'm hoping that Nintendo doesn't skimp on the voice acting budget for this game.

The only truly good reason to boycott Nintendo.

Crocodile

whynotboth.gif

I'd be happy with either. I'd like Link to have her adventures. I'd also like Zelda to have her adventures.

I'm just looking at the poll results which seem t say people prefer a genderswap over giving the most important female character in the series (after which it is named) a starring or co-staring role. I just feels so weird to me. It feels like an actively less progressive option (since that's clearly the aim for most people here) - a genderswap over another, well-defined character that is.

Servbot24

Banned
I honestly don't see the problem. Link would still be silent, thus maintaining the "silent protagonist" feel. But after Hyrule Warriors, the lack of voice acting has been starting to bug me.
It just changes the mood of the game. The lack of voices makes Zelda games feel foreign and dream-like.

In a way the actual Link character is the Green Tunic. In Windwaker and Twilight Princess they had hand me downs- Windwaker it is a coming of age present, and Twilight Princess it is used to reference a past hero. They're both hand me downs.

There is no reason why a female can't be given those clothes too.

Not sure how it is in SS though, never got round to playing it (HD remaster please !)

Just make both Links look exactly the same and let people choose what gender it is. But if Link is female, will Zelda be a man? Hmm... Zeldor

Depends on how this is integrated into the game. It would probably be a concession to any romantic plotlines that might occur, and even then that be handled a number of different ways.

This could be a game with absolutely zero romantic angle.
The characters who express interest in Link could change based on Link's gender (Zelda likes boy link, Groose likes girl Link)
Or player gender doesn't make a difference in regards to romantic options.

Again, that's only if there is a romantic subplot. Outside of that, I don't really see the point in making NPCs change gender in relation to the player's chosen gender. This is about giving players a version of a largely blank slate avatar that they can identify more with, not about balancing the scales.

In a way the actual Link character is the Green Tunic. In Windwaker and Twilight Princess they had hand me downs- Windwaker it is a coming of age present, and Twilight Princess it is used to reference a past hero. They're both hand me downs.

There is no reason why a female can't be given those clothes too.

Not sure how it is in SS though, never got round to playing it (HD remaster please !)

In SS, the tunic and at are a Knight's uniform. I think Link might be the only one in green, but there are tons of NPCs in versions of his costume in blue, yellow, etc.

Timeaisis

Regarding this whole female character thing. What I'd realllly love is if you could play as Zelda or Link. Problem with that, of course, is that would require extra development, as they both would probably have different interactions and Nintendo would have to justify it story-wise. So I doubt that's happening.

As for a female Link, I don't mind, as it really doesn't matter to me. That being said, I'd kind of like a completely new female character you can play as that has their own character design, instead of just being a gender-swapped Link.

RE: Voice acting. It really depends on how they do it. I've always been a proponent of no VA in Zelda, as I feel it would just be a distraction. But, if they can heighten story moments with VA, sure, fine. What I don't want is every single character to be voiced half-assed and it ruin the experience. And thank god Link will continue to be silent.

And again all those avatar posts. Link hasn't been an avatar for the player since at least the N64 games.

If an avatar should give me the possibility of projecting myself into the game, then Link needs not just a toggle for gender, but skin color, weight, height, haircolor and styling, different facial options. Commander Shepard is an avatar, and although the "main" version used in marketing etc., there always was the female version.

I just don't get where this "need" for gender-swapping in fiction comes.

In 2016, the gender of a videogame character shouldn't affect either male or female gamers. I sure don't have a problem with playing as Lara Croft or Samus, just because they don't match my gender. That's how it should be.

lol

I don't care. I actually perfer to play as a female link if they'll give us diffrent strategies to takedown bosses and play style for both.

I guess my take on this whole question is

if people like playing as Link, why cheat them out of the playstyle they enjoy and love if they want to play as a female character?

And again all those avatar posts. Link hasn't been an avatar for the player since at least the N64 games.

Since people still keep bringing this up, I'll walk back on my take on this, too:

Who cares what has been the case since the N64 games if Nintendo is backing off of the approach they took with the N64 games as the default assumption for what the series should be?

Aonuma said:
I think the base of our secret sauce has always been Ocarina of Time. But this time, the change in flavor will be like going from Japanese food to Western style food. Perhaps, players will be surprised.

http://kotaku.com/an-update-on-zelda-wii-u-1764000736

-Horizon-

That could be true in this upcoming game, sure, but the Link in prior games didn't have much to them.

He was just "The hero of Hyrule", and nothing else.

I mean if we take this rumor as true and that aonuma changed his mind due to fan feedback, it might also be the case that he's also listening to fans wanting more fleshed out characters. Guess we'll see.

I hope the rumours of the NX being similar to the PS4 in power are true so I can play as girl Link in 60FPS. 720p30 on Wii U, 1080p60 on NX; let's do it Aonuma.

Neiteio

This is great news, if true. Zelda hasn't felt like a AAA series to me in a while, and VA will help bring it in line with modern standards.

jerry5278

Neo Member
If this is all true, then it is another sign that nintendo is changing the way they do things, and actually getting with the times. Here's hoping

He doesn't look feminine, I feel like you people are reading far too much into this thing.

Ask 100 random people on the street about these artworks, what do you think their response is to his gender? Certainly not female.

Nothing in the games indicates this either.

Not in windwaker but in that particular picture he did to ME. Look I dont ever read too much into these things ima yes man lol

Neoxon

The only truly good reason to boycott Nintendo.
I mean, I understand why Nintendo took this approach for games like Fire Emblem. But my main hope is that Nintendo's tendency for cutting corners for voice acting doesn't extend to Zelda.

And when I say "glaringly obvious" for Smash 4, I'm referring to the fact that both Phosphora & Magnus (previously voiced by unionized VAs) were recast in Smash 4 for non-union VAs.

This is not true. Code Name STEAM is a SAG-AFTRA project.

Japanese game companies going non-union for smaller dub projects is nothing out of the ordinary. Every single one of them does it.

Nintendo uses union talent for large-budget/scale projects and not for cheaper projects. That's how basic budgeting works. Seems logical that Zelda will count as the former.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
This all sounds great to me, but wanting those elements for years in this franchise. Exciting if true!

If an avatar should give me the possibility of projecting myself into the game, then Link needs not just a toggle for gender, but skin color, weight, height, haircolor and styling, different facial options. Commander Shepard is an avatar, and although the "main" version used in marketing etc., there always was the female version.

I just don't get where this "need" for gender-swapping in fiction comes.

In 2016, the gender of a videogame character shouldn't affect either male or female gamers. I sure don't have a problem with playing as Lara Croft or Samus, just because they don't match my gender. That's how it should be.

who's gender is being swapped? Which Link is having their gender swapped?

Name a series that gender swapped an established main character

which link are you referring to?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
You responded to a female Link as being "yuck." Are you 9 years old?

Years, years ago, when Castlevania Order of Ecclesia got leaked by the translator...there was this one guy on a forum I went who just exploded (paraphrasing, can't exactly remember words): "I will never buy a Castlevania game ever again. I want to save the girls, not to play as them!"

His posts left a mark on me. The essence of his posts continue on, long after OoE came out.

klier

They do that in almost every entry.

He looks different because of the different art styles and different hardware. Maybe not the same Link in every game, but the character speaks for itself. I don't want no girl replacing Link. Make a new adventure/exploration game with a girl in the lead if you have to, Nintendo!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is great news, if true. Zelda hasn't felt like a AAA series to me in a while, and VA will help bring it in line with modern standards.

Watching the expensive CG cutscenes in Hyrule Warriors with dialog text boxes was hilariously out of place.

Years, years ago, when Castlevania Order of Ecclesia got leaked by the translator...there was this one guy on a forum I went who just exploded (paraphrasing, can't exactly remember words): "I will never buy a Castlevania game ever again. I want to save the girls, not to play as them!"

His posts left a mark on me. The essence of his posts continue on, long after OoE came out.

IIRC that was NintendosBooger.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
VA for NPCs will be interesting. Could be a much needed addition or it could be really grating. Very much hope it is the former. Part of me has wanted it for a while and part of me doesn't because of the possible changes and implications that it would bring, but it was pretty much inevitable. NX was pretty much a given, no surprise there.

Not a fan at all of gender selection. Much rather see them make a game staring Zelda alone, she would make for a far more meaningful and interesting change in protagonist. And if they really want to make Link's gender more fluid I would much rather they go all the way and make Link a girl only the first time out and not go half way with an option.

We've had this topic many times over the last few months, it's getting really old and tiring. There's no reason they can't change Link's gender and there's really no reason they should or have to either. It only comes down to some people want Link to stay a boy and other want Link to be a girl. Nothing really wrong with either side in basic terms, yet this thread will likely go another dozen or more pages with people arguing with stupid reasons and evidence that doesn't matter at all. If it happens it happens.

-Horizon-

I doubt the play style will change if the toggle rumor is true. At most the walking and idle animation and stuff will be different.

Let's see how it does first. I think it's a terrible idea myself. Zelda, the person the game us named after, is 100% a better choice. Zelda is a strong character and should be treated as such instead being sidelined continually. This is a wasted opportunity IMO as Zelda game would be amazing.

Of course you are welcome to your opinion.

A game with Zelda as the protag would be cool but it's not going to happen.

Neiteio

I hope the rumours of the NX being similar to the PS4 in power are true so I can play as girl Link in 60FPS. 720p30 on Wii U, 1080p60 on NX; let's do it Aonuma.
More likely you'll get 720p 30fps on WiiU and 1080p 60 fps on NX, judging by the cross-gen titles I own.

Trogdor1123

Ok. Let's say I believe you. But if Nintendo comes out and reveals Zelda U indeed features a female Link as optional main character you'll have to eat some humble pie and admit that you didn't understand how this 30 year old brand really worked after all.
It wouldn't mean that at all.

Top Bottom