• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS4 Slim leaked ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burkatron81

My guestimate for the PS Meeting ;D

First up: 5 low-key minutes showing redesigned PS4. No Changes to spec other than power consumption. OG discontinued. Launch cost £199 and 1 month of PS+. Released on 09/09/16.

Second: 15 minutes showing PSVR.

Finish: Neo glory! £349 / £399 released end of November.

For me it makes no sense for Sony to add anything new to the slim. Why add in HDR and 4k at a cost and then potentially kill the buzz around prominent features of the Neo?

They have already confirmed admiration for the way apple announces and takes hardware to market. Announce and then have it on the shelf within a week is the way forward and keeping under £200 makes it a impluse purchase for many in my eyes.

chadskin

Oh, no one is saying 4KTV's aren't going to be the #1 item in a market or two this holiday season.

What I'm saying is focusing your global business -- that extends to over 100 countries -- on what's happening in a market or two is just not the kind of stuff that brings home the gold. There are a lot of markets in the world where 4K is going nowhere anytime soon due to pricing, low availability of 4K content, consumer confidence, significantly cheaper alternatives, and a lack of a major hook. PlayStation does well in a lot of markets, so if Sony were to stick to what has led to the gold, i.e. Choosing a global perspective as opposed to a local perspective, then they will be able to do well this season. If they choose to shift focus on just selling PS4's for a handful of audiences then they just won't do that well. That's similar to how this generation of console marketshare has played out, right? Think global and not local.

I think it makes a lot of sense for Sony to stick to their product map; offer a 4K-capable machine in the future and continue to offer the current PS4 at a cheaper price. This redesigned PS4 allows for the latter to happen. Since lower pricing has proven to be really really important for strong holiday sales, then it makes sense for Sony to focus on delivering a lower-priced console this season. I'm sure we'll find out more about the Neo and what the new 'PSP' is, and I'm confident that once we do, we'll understand how it all fits in with the redesigned PS4.

QFT

novabolt

If the Neo does indeed launch in 2017, I will go for the PS4 Slim for the mean while. I have waited too long and it would annoy me even longer to wait. If the Neo is still on course for 2016, I will choose that over the slim.

KainXVIII

Fake.

The PS controller symbols on the bottom are a nice touch but Sony wouldn't needlessly waste money like that.

master_chief_xbox_one_s.jpg

komplanen

Did they remove optical cable port? If so, they just made people's Astro Mixamps useless.

Those people don't have to buy the slim so nothing was made useless. That's the same silly argument when ever Apple makes people's phones into paper weights by releasing a new model.

Vinc

Looks good. But the original PS4 looks outstanding. If they drop the price with this slim and drop the original's price as well to clear stock (maybe even bring it lower than the slim to clear them out faster), I'd jump on that original model if I didn't already have one.

I wonder what the Neo will look like, what it's going to cost, and when it'll come out. I really hope it's not too much bigger than the original.

Looks ugly.

Should have stuck with an angular design with that matte finish. It's like the xbone and PS4 have swapped places with the slims designs compared to the originals, for me at least.

ViciousDS

Banned
Did they remove optical cable port? If so, they just made people's Astro Mixamps useless.

oh....the people who spend as much on an overpriced headset that's now the same price as a console?

Astro's.....are overpriced as hell for standard quality.....they should be kings of the crop for what you pay for them.

Those people can easily afford a $30 accessory to split hdmi to hdmi+optical for their headsets

johnny956

lol, a $150 price drop is not going to happen.
Not even $100, this thing is going to be $299.

I mean they are going all in reducing the price of this thing. If it's that small and removing an optical port I'd imagine they've reduced the cost of this thing every way possible including a small PSU for sure

I like the design actually.... I hope Neo launch in October or otherwise I will be so pissed if they pushed it to next year.

I was fine with the delay of FFXV cause I wanted to play it in Neo mode... so if Neo was really pushed to 2017 then I will have a huge late breakdown for FFXV delayed.

sense

lol, a $150 price drop is not going to happen.
Not even $100, this thing is going to be $299.
I think this is going to be 249. Cheaply made and undercuts Xbox one s while offering a premium version(neo) for people that want 4K and extra power at 399 or 449 so people can clearly tell the difference between the two.

Those people don't have to buy the slim so nothing was made useless. That's the same silly argument when ever Apple makes people's phones into paper weights by releasing a new model.

They have a product for you

It's called the ps4 phat

I have a PS4 right now. If it needs to be replaced years from now, then my options to get a PS4 fat will be limited since it's being phased out. Of course I actually intend on getting a Neo, but if it doesn't have the optical port also, then the problem is the same.

Oh, no one is saying 4KTV's aren't going to be the #1 item in a market or two this holiday season.

What I'm saying is focusing your global business -- that extends to over 100 countries -- on what's happening in a market or two is just not the kind of stuff that brings home the gold. There are a lot of markets in the world where 4K is going nowhere anytime soon due to pricing, low availability of 4K content, consumer confidence, significantly cheaper alternatives, and a lack of a major hook. PlayStation does well in a lot of markets, so if Sony were to stick to what has led to the gold, i.e. Choosing a global perspective as opposed to a local perspective, then they will be able to do well this season. If they choose to shift focus on just selling PS4's for a handful of audiences then they just won't do that well. That's similar to how this generation of console marketshare has played out, right? Think global and not local.

I think it makes a lot of sense for Sony to stick to their product map; offer a 4K-capable machine in the future and continue to offer the current PS4 at a cheaper price. This redesigned PS4 allows for the latter to happen. Since lower pricing has proven to be really really important for strong holiday sales, then it makes sense for Sony to focus on delivering a lower-priced console this season. I'm sure we'll find out more about the Neo and what the new 'PSP' is, and I'm confident that once we do, we'll understand how it all fits in with the redesigned PS4.

So everywhere that isn't South Korea?

johnny956

I like the design actually.... I hope Neo launch in October or otherwise I will be so pissed if they pushed it to next year.

I was fine with the delay of FFXV cause I wanted to play it in Neo mode... so if Neo was really pushed to 2017 then I will have a huge late breakdown for FFXV delayed.

Yea if this leak is legit and that's a full box too then thing will be shipping quite soon. Neo on the other hand. I think it comes down to Sony getting enough developers to have Neo mode ready by holiday launch. If not it's getting pushed to early 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom