• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS4 Slim leaked ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunkitz

Huh. Looks pretty legit to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's fake either. I do like how it looks, though. Especially the face button logos at the bottom side.

Mindwipe

Blimey, that came out of nowhere.

It's nowhere near as pretty as the OG, but it's a slim I don't need to buy anyway. Hopefully Neo retains the more angular design.

I do like the square/circle/cross/triangle feet though, they're fun.

The weirdest part of it to me is the usb ports being spaced far apart on the front. That's a very strange design (would look terrible with two cables coming out) and almost feels like change for the sake of it (which would be something a faker might do).

Is that a USB port on the back? Always hated that the PS4 only had two and if you have a wireless headset you have to have the dongle sticking out the front all the time.

Got to hand it to any company that places value in good design. Getting in a guy who worships at the altar of Braun is always going to help. Leaps and bounds better than OG One.
Sony's effort is just cost cuttingly boring. Keeping fingers crossed that Neo looks hawt too.

It's really nice how it came together, how they wanted to design a friendlier looking system and simplify the chassis to a unibody design. I like this little post by the lead on the project. Some beautiful photography there:

Sony console design ranks:
1. PS3 fat
2. PS4
3. PS 1 slim
4. PS 2 slim
5. PS2
5. PS1
6. PS4 slim
7. PS3 slim/PS3 George Foreman grill slim

Marvel

could never
Not sure why anyone would want a slim with Neo just around the corner, like MS it seems like a weird move to make. Abnyhoo, looks pretty legit unoless it's another gaffer with a 3D printer heh.

Jzero

OléGunner;214542069 said:
Launch Sony consoles always look the best, the slim models are never aesthetically pleasing.

It's actually like this for me

1st revision > OG > 2nd revision

Theonik

Not sure why anyone would want a slim with Neo just around the corner, like MS it seems like a weird move to make. Abnyhoo, looks pretty legit unoless it's another gaffer with a 3D printer heh.
I think the point people are missing is that there is a lot of people that won't buy a system if it's not lower than $300 sometimes even $200 for those real bargain hunters. Neo and Scorpio will retail anywhere between $399 and 499.

For the mainstream, they will wait till these systems are affordable. In the meantime, cheaper revisions can be sold to more budget conscious consumers. Because both systems represent the same ecosystem, it doesn't really cause fragmentation in the platform a PS4 game is a Neo game and vice versa but their relative install bases will set the amount of effort in Neo enhancements. This approach maximises growth for the PS4 platform.

Marvel

could never
I think the point people are missing is that there is a lot of people that won't buy a system if it's not lower than $300 sometimes even $200 for those real bargain hunters. Neo and Scorpio will retail anywhere between $399 and 499.

For the mainstream, they will wait till these systems are affordable. In the meantime, cheaper revisions can be sold to more budget conscious consumers. Because both systems represent the same ecosystem, it doesn't really cause fragmentation in the platform a PS4 game is a Neo game and vice versa but their relative install bases will set the amount of effort in Neo enhancements. This approach maximises growth for the PS4 platform.
Ah yes, that makes sense I guess my friend.

kinezu

It really does look good. Nice minimalist design for the Slim.

But, what will happen with all the accessories released for the OG PS4? Like faceplates and base stands?

What if the NEO will look like the OG PS4?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Do we really need a Slim? Launch model is slim enough IMO. I want a PS4 Silent.

it'll be cheaper for them to release a new model that is smaller with less parts and more efficient. well...if you want a quieter ps4 the slim will probably be quieter/cooler so there you go answered your own question.

Quasar

I actually think that's the likely scenario, shift a load of Slim's over Xmas, then launch Neo Feb/March, I hope that doesn't happen though.

Frankly I'd like to see it pushed later than that so it can be on par with the scorpio. I doubt it would happen though and it would make Sony as reactionary rather than leader.

OléGunner;214542651 said:
1. PS3 fat
2. PS4
3. PS 1 slim
4. PS 2 slim
5. PS2
5. PS1
6. PS4 slim

I'm surprised to see the PS2 Slim so far down - I honestly think its industrial design has aged the best out of any of Sony's previous console designs (including all the PS3s).

I do like how the PS3's oval sides hide the thickness of the device though.

As for handhelds, it's amazing how badly the PSP designs have aged. Probably due to their emphasis on having a million buttons on the front more than anything, and also the fussiness along the edges of what is already a thick device.

The DSi XL has aged surprisingly well:

TM_DSi_XL_GenericFeaturesImage_all_v02_sharing_image_400.png

DSIXL_interview_13.jpg

And I really like the two-tone original Vita-2000s. It's unapologetically plastic in a way the Vita-1000 was not. The Vita-1000 has this faux-chrome trim around the sides which feels (and looks) like glossy paper in real life. You can actually peel it off too...

kurahador

OléGunner;214542651 said:
1. PS3 fat
2. PS4
3. PS 1 slim
4. PS 2 slim
5. PS2
5. PS1
6. PS4 slim

I can forgive PS3 Super Slim. Original PS is still hands down the ugliest:
It's even more ugly if you see it up close with how big the console is.

Nah The Original PS at the time was a good looking console. Slim (Compared to Bulky Sega Saturn), and overall smaller than the N64.

It hasn't aged well but at the time it was a good looking console.

In regards to best looking Sony console then Original PS2 is GOAT, especially with the blue stands.

This PS4 slim is probably way down the list, its not very attractive.

Daffy Duck

Why are people so concerned with him turning it on? What are they expecting to see that is different??

OG PS is the GOAT.

That thing felt futuristic.

Oh and you should use a pic that shows the original pad. :D but, that's just me being anal.

Arex

hmm looks legit, I still like the look of the original PS4 more, it has the look of the slim PS2 design-wise, but if this slim PS4 is cheaper, I may just get this one instead. Hope the logo lit up haha

He has Chris Owen (PS EU community manager) and Ask PlayStation following him since yesterday

Are people really still doubting this?

That doesn't really mean much though, Chris follows me, due to me asking for his assistance with a problem.

Not totally out, but I'd still like to see him fire the thing up, there shouldn't be any reason behind having not done that yet.

It's really nice how it came together, how they wanted to design a friendlier looking system and simplify the chassis to a unibody design. I like this little post by the lead on the project. Some beautiful photography there:

Dunno about all that, the XB1 is essentially a budget system specs-wise (DDR3 main system memory, anyone?). They should be racing to drive costs down to significantly undercut the PS4 price. This redesign is too little, too late.

sviri

can you imagine if the 7th september is just the ps4 slim and not the neo and that has been pushed to next year.

GAF would be in meltdown mode.

That would suck so bad for me. It'd be my own fault... but I already sold my go ps4 last month to get ready for neo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom