• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS4 Slim leaked ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orava

Am I the only one who thinks this looks like a bathroom vent? White was a poor choice of color for the s.
Hrh6iOA.jpg

Probably.

I like the design very much. Definitely influenced by Dieter Rams and his Braun designs.

https://www.vitsoe.com/eu/about/good-design

Theonik

Just get an audio extractor
I could do that. Or I could just buy an older system. *shrug*

If you want to conserve manufacturing costs, optical out would be the first thing to go. More than 95% of PS4 users do not care for that output.
As far as cost reductions are concerned it's not the worst thing they can do but it's also not very useful. At most you are saving an extra trace for the SPDIF on the IO and a TOSLINK port that accounts for less than $1. Maybe 50 cents. That might still rack up when you are talking about millions of units but it's not significant especially considering the margins on those devices.

To be fair optical is already dead, HDMI is better and more common
For surround sound maybe. For audio gear no. HDMI is a pain to implement and licensing makes Audio only gear often skip it.

Vashetti

Banned
Really hope we get more info today, either from DF or someone else who gets their hands on it.

I want to know about UHD and HDR playback, power consumption, 16nm APU, etc.

I'll throw in my thoughts and say it's fake. I'm more put off by the choice of composition for the console/controller shown on the console box/packaging. Something's off.

For some reason the audio settings on the PS4 won't allow for 5.1 pass-through via HDMI to my sound system. The Xbox One has no problems with this. No optical would be an issue if they didn't fix that problem.

Freddo

Really hope we get more info today, either from DF or someone else who gets their hands on it.

I want to know about UHD and HDR playback, power consumption, 16nm APU, etc.
I'm very curious about the power consumption too, but I very much doubt we will see any info about that until it's released and PS4 slim hardware reviews start to appear.

This seems way, way too elaborate to be a hoax.

Who the fuck has the time/resources to create such a thing? And what would be the motivation? What is there to gain aside from 15 minutes of "fame"?

If this is a hoax, the person behind it needs to get a fucking life.

I dropped my OG XB1 when the Slim rumors started popping up. Got $300. Now it would be barely worth $150. The second it's officially announced, TIV will tank.

Yep I'm thinking of going and dropping my 20th Anniversary machine to CEX who are currently offering £497 cash for them. Admittedly mine should hold it's value better but sooner or later it will sink.

Bollocks

Console looks like shit, I doubt that the people who brought you the PS4 would opt for something like this.
After the NX fake I'm positive that this is yet another 3d printed fake.

SOR5

This seems way, way too elaborate to be a hoax.

Who the fuck has the time/resources to create such a thing? And what would be the motivation? What is there to gain aside from 15 minutes of "fame"?

If this is a hoax, the person behind it needs to get a fucking life.

Heeey remember that NX controller

Assuming that this doesn't have UHD support or HDR, why would anyone even consider replacing their OG PS4 with this new console? The size reduction isn't that huge and it's actually taking away a feature if it dropped the optical audio.

Upgrading to an S from an original X1 makes sense if you have a 4K set. Upgrading a PS4 to this doesn't.

To be honest I am not a fan of this redesign. I think the PS4, Xbox One S and the Xbox 360 S are the best looking systems that have been produced thus far.

The xbox one was ugly AF. The Original PS3 was as well.

I'm thinking because the lack of UHD BD would probably make it seem like a inferior product in comparison. Then again, I'm not entirely sure the general public even knows what UHD BD is and those who care are probably going to wait until NEO anyway..
UHD is enthusiast at best (I say this as a dinosaur who has a massive collection of films on physical media). I don't think many really give a shit about it.
Assuming that this doesn't have UHD support or HDR, why would anyone even consider replacing their OG PS4 with this new console? The size reduction isn't that huge and it's actually taking away a feature if it dropped the optical audio.

Upgrading to an S from an original X1 makes sense if you have a 4K set. Upgrading a PS4 to this doesn't.
I don't think this is targeted at those people.

wapplew

Maybe they want people upgrade to Neo instead.
Slim is for new owner.

It isn't for current PS4 owners. It's for new customers. PS4 Neo is the product that current PS4 owners will consider for a replacement.

The slim most likely wasn't designed with the idea of upgrading existing PS4 owners. It's a fresh box that will likely have a cheaper price to lure in people who don't already own a PS4. The smaller form factor among other things probably makes production cheaper for Sony as well.

Jal

I'll wait for better pics but this could be my favourite looking PS console so far, a PS1 grey version with coloured logo would look sweet.

dealer-

Sony wants you to upgrade to a Neo not this. This will be the standard PS4 moving forward.

Septimius

Slim models have always been about optimizing production, utilizing advances in technology to make a cheaper console. Who would ever buy a any slim model because it was smaller if they already own the console?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom