• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkan Toto rumor: Resident Evil 7 reveal at E3, will go back to horror roots

Anth0ny

I want to believe

but I don't know if Capcom has the talent to make a good, new RE title. Maybe if it's more like the Relevaitons games...

JayEH

I bet money it's a ps4 exclusive or timed exclusive

image.php

DedValve

Banned
I'm hoping this ends as hilariously as the last time they talked about going back to their roots.

ibaigypwkhlrnmtgqsu.gif

There where people saying Leons would be a return to form. I'm pretty sure in that same trailer Leon was pulling off ridiculous combo kicks and shootbangs.

Ascenion

Sounds like a soft reboot. Nice. Give me Leon and Sheva as protagonists and I'm so in. Keep Chris far the fuck away.

Astral Dog

Fuck RE where is the DMC rumour?
sounds too awesome to be true,but if they went to a RE4/REV Direction that would be enough.
The clean state is the most interesting part imo, we need new characters and a more grounded scenario.

Please be true! I checked out of the series after RE4 because (as much as I enjoyed it) I wasn't interested in playing any more action games in that universe.

There are already so many 3rd person action games, just give me back the a survival horror I fell in love with so long ago!

Japan is coming in force to the new consoles. I could seriously cry.

And more and more they are accepting what they are good at, while still modernizing. Bloody wonderful.

Lernaean

Banned
sounds too awesome to be true,but if they went to a RE4/REV Direction that would be enough.
The clean state is the most interesting part imo, we need new characters and a more grounded scenario.

We certainly do not need a "more grounded scenario".

Astral Dog

Sounds like a soft reboot. Nice. Give me Leon and Sheva as protagonists and I'm so in. Keep Chris far the fuck away.
But then it would not be any kind of (small)reboot

New characters pleace, no goverment agents, no Umbrella, no STARS, no BSAA, i know Resident Evil can create awesome fresh characters

4 million sales on one console and Steam?
It doesn't sound too far fetched
Steam 1 million
PS4 3 million
Game smaller scale ("back to horror roots") compared to big sprawling summer blockbuster re5 and 6 so it won't cost as much to develop
PS4 full console exclusive or PS4 timed exclusive

This is my prediction . I'm not a Sony fanboy

Bergerac

- SLOW PACING.
- Horror game. Not action.
- Ambient music.
- Not RE6's combat system.
- No hand to hand. Enemies that you want to keep at range.
- Emphasis on weapon handling instead.
- Puzzles not only return, but are no longer Fisher Price crap. Actually require a good five minutes of thinking.
- Dynamic enemies that, like Crimson Heads, you have to take several measures to eliminate.
- No influence from Hide and Seek horror games. No lockers or beds to hide.
- Backtracking.
- Architecture.
- A map that is as much gameplay as it was in classic RE and not some giant empty space with a giant arrow saying 'Go to this one corner to leave because the rest of this area is a void/arena'.

Yeah... right.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
There is no way that Resident Evil 7 is Sony exclusive. Capcom values being able to port their games being able to be ported to everything too much to sacrifice that, and they've been building up the RE library on modern consoles by simultaneous releases of all of their classics and more modern games, including Revelations 2 & Umbrella Corps.

Varth

I totally trust Capcom to understand the concept of horror. And even more, I trust them to apply it to a modern RE.

Totally.

Whats Mikami working on, these days? Word on a new Evil Within?

The cycle continues. Dont expect much from the mainline series anymore. I know capcom will return to true biohazard form with the new remake.

Alfredo

Hopefully they didn't listen to all the people that thought Leon's campaign in RE6 went back to "horror roots," which consisted of:
  • Tripping over dead bodies
  • Cheap instant kills
  • A million QTEs
  • Forced walking and talking sections
  • Underwater section
I'll be disappointed if they throw away the "stun + melee" system that they've gone with since RE4, but I guess Doom kinda has that now, so it's not gone forever?

FFS, just get rid of the QTE every time you take damage. Completely kill 6 for me. It felt like you couldn't' even move around.

There is no way that Resident Evil 7 is Sony exclusive. Capcom values being able to port their games being able to be ported to everything too much to sacrifice that.
Not like xb1 version would sell much anyway
I wouldn't be shocked if PC version sold more than xb1
Sony wouldn't have to pay major $$$ to get console exclusive or timed console exclusive
Just my guess

Dusk Golem

I totally trust Capcom to understand the concept of horror. And even more, I trust them to apply it to a modern RE.

Totally.

Whats Mikami working on, these days? Word on a new Evil Within?

We know that Tango is working on their next game, and there's a very high chance it's Evil Within 2, due to them saying when Evil Within was announced they wanted it to be a series, not a single game. It sold well, held the world record for best selling new horror IP until Dying Light took the title (but sold over a million copies in its first month). The main game ends on a sort of cliffhanger, and the DLC hints at things to come. The last DLC in particular hinted at a 'next chapter'. Bethesda at last E3 also included Evil Within as one of their big 'series', notably. Included it with the likes of Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Wallenstein, etc., which does imply there is a sequel in the works to refer to it as a series like that and one of their 'series' to get modding support on consoles.

Lernaean

Banned
But, why not? I say grounded as in RE1, 4 or REV 2 in comparison to 5 and 6 at least. RE will always be campy B horror movie.

Cause over the top Bio is best Bio.

We know that Tango is working on their next game, and there's a very high chance it's Evil Within 2, due to them saying when Evil Within was announced they wanted it to be a series, not a single game. It sold well, held the world record for best selling new horror IP until Dying Light took the title (but sold over a million copies in its first month). The main game ends on a sort of cliffhanger, and the DLC hints at things to come. The last DLC in particular hinted at a 'next chapter'.

Imo TEW sequel is a certainty. It's just that it may not be directed by Mikami, but that's not a problem. He is great at coaching younger directors.

JayEH

It doesn't sound too far fetched
Steam 1 million
PS4 3 million
Game smaller scale ("back to horror roots") compared to big sprawling summer blockbuster re5 and 6 so it won't cost as much to develop
PS4 full console exclusive or PS4 timed exclusive

This is my prediction . I'm not a Sony fanboy

grZAZ.gif

Neiteio

Hmm lots of*random game* +Souls posts recentely, is that some kind of meme/joke i am missing or people really mean it?
The Souls games do a lot of things people like, be it their approach to fair but firm challenges, great controls, a satisfying sense of exploration, intricate level design, well-hidden secrets, subtle storytelling that invites discussion, smart online elements woven into the single-player, a rewarding sense of accomplishment, etc.

So it's no surprise people want to take those various gold standards and see how they'd work in other games, as well.

Ryan_MSF

stage 1: new mainline RE announcement incoming, it will go back to horror roots.

stage 2: misleading dark toned reveal trailer

stage 3: classic RE fans getting hyped

stage 4: the game ends up being AAA action and cheesy

stage 5: meltdowns

Me and Jimmy's exact reaction

Gren

My expectations are contingent upon what REmake 2 is going to be. If it does follow the first one in terms of faithfulness & production values, then I would likewise suspect 7 to be more akin to Revelations if anything, as I don't believe Capcom has the confidence nor the ability to successfully market two flagship fixed-camera REs back-to-back (what with the only proven demand being the two HD remasters sold at budget prices).

Sesha

Although they have said this before, last time it was after RE5 which was their biggest single seller ever. This is coming off of RE6 which underperformed, and a more slow-paced horror-y game like The Last of Us which sold more than twice what RE6 did.

As for "clean slate", I doubt it means full reboot. RE4 was basically a "clean slate" as well. I expect something along those lines.

I don't want any DMC rumors of any detail besides "DMC5 is in development, by Itsuno and the DMC team". Anything like "DMC is going back to its roots" or "the next DMC will be like DMC4" might make me anxious. I'm afraid of a conservative DMC4.5 scenario.

Hmm lots of*random game* +Souls posts recentely, is that some kind of meme/joke i am missing or people really mean it?

It practically is. But he's just saying he wants RE7 to have a 3D Metroidvania/Soulslike interconnected levels.

Iced Arcade

Was hoping for a flat out reboot but I guess that's not happening. Not 100% convinced 9n the "return to the roots" but I'll pretend to be optimistic lol

Gurish

That would be amazing!

I want old design (meaning a big place to explore with puzzles and stuff) combined with a modern combat system, should be free cam, save the fixed to REmake 2.

Dusk Golem

I just want some amazing fashion

We know that a woman named Karen Brakenridge was hired between November 2012 - January 2013 to work on the costume designs for Resident Evil 7. She put it on her resume in early 2013, someone on GAF spotted it, it was taken off her resume.

Here's her IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1957650/

She was the costume designer on the Speed Racers movie and a short known as Meet David Rodgers, as well as did visual effects for Batman Begins.

Top Bottom