• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkan Toto rumor: Resident Evil 7 reveal at E3, will go back to horror roots

Shauni

Please bring back the intricate level designs along with puzzles,shortcuts and hidden stuff as well as the ink ribbon save system.

The other stuff is feasible. I can guarantee you that has little to no possibility of happening. Even if they do checkpoint rooms again, they won't limit the amount of saves you have.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
What really needs to return is a good file feature. 5 did rather well in that area, but 4 was rather bare and 6 was some of the worst in framing, content, and in the writing itself.

On top of that, there needs to be some better regional work. The writing can get really silly (in a bad way) in comparison.

I'm going to throw out there I personally liked Resident Evil Revelations 2 files. Much more than I was expecting.

sublimit

Banned
The other stuff is feasible. I can guarantee you that has little to no possibility of happening. Even if they do checkpoint rooms again, they won't limit the amount of saves you have.

That's too bad then because i think the ink ribbon system really added tension to the game.In a way it was like the Souls games.

Much better than the news of them flipping through fashion magazines. Confidence in the project now elevated.

They'll bring it back. Easy Mode could do away w/ the ink ribbons or give the player unlimited ink ribbons, but that's as far as accommodations need to go. It doesn't need autosaves or increasing the amount of save rooms to ridiculous amounts. Normal and Hard could do things like the classic REs did; no issues there.

Besides, REMake and RE0 did pretty damn well, so people might be overestimating how upset modern gamers could get at the inclusion of the classic save system.

Lernaean

Banned
Baseless assumption. Not everyone who enjoyed the original series, such as myself, hate the new direction, and I know several people who are the same way. Even if it was true, it doesn't make them less of a vocal internet minority, so it's a pointless statement to make.

I'm a fan from the beginning and i love modern Bio. The assumption that the original fans all want classic is indeed baseless.

Vibranium

Banned
PT designer? This could be very good.

I just want more inventory management and backtracking. Have enemy patterns switch up. Lots of puzzles and creepy ambient/instrumental music as opposed to grand scores.

sublimit

Banned
That probably means creepier creatures and environments. Its an action-horror series now and its not going back.

As much as i want to believe these rumours i agree that this will probably be the case.

On the exterior it will be wrapped up in a superficial horror package but at its core (the gameplay) it will be just another action game.

It actually makes a lot of sense to do just that this time business-wise. The horror genre has seen an extremely rise in popularity these past few years. Resident evil has the recognition, capcom (still) has the talent, the market is ripe.I think the timing would have been perfect a couple of years back but knowing today's Capcom this happening two years later is exactly like them.

They do, but the difference this time is their contemporary titles; they're launching this game in the same generation as Alien: Isolation, Until Dawn, and yeah, P. T.

Horror as a genre is undeniably back en vogue. If RE isn't genuinely going back to it now, it's not ever going to.
Can't disagree with any of this, and believe me, I hope both of you are right.

I've just been burned by Capcom so many times now. I'm keeping my expectations very much in check.

I'm sorry, but no. People legitimately enjoyed these games, and the direction the series has taken. You don't foster the level of success the series has with just marketing something. That's just purely a fantasy birthed within the limited bubble of internet fandom.

So all those people who bought those games the first week knew EXACTLY what the game was and knew exactly what it was before buying it? That as soon as it hit shelves, its existence just was made aware in everyone's mind without any information?

That those two marketing campaigns, that even dwarf some recent major ones across third and first party titles, had no effect?

I think the fantasy is in your corner, since I never once indicated that there isn't an audience for modern RE or that those people actually disliked them and it was solely the marketing. But when the series boosts from what RE4 sold even combined on PS2/GC to what RE5 did in such a short period, it's not just gameplay.

Look at Destiny and The Division. Look at the recent Overwatch beta. Now, I really enjoyed the former two, and haven't played the latter, but I know better than if it was gameplay as king. What they all had in common, however, were large marketing campaigns. Hell, I don't think I've ever seen before (frequent or otherwise) television commercials for an open beta, but it was done with Overwatch and look at the influx.

Marketing has a major impact. That doesn't take away from the games themselves, but raising that mindshare allows for far more people to give a game a chance that they otherwise may not have been aware of.

And that's not even including the boost in mind share the movies brought to the RE brand, no matter what people view on the quality of them.

Saying that the marketing sold the games isn't an attempt to take away from what those games are. It's just how this market works.

Edit: Also want to make it clear that I didn't say that a good marketing campaign behind a survival horror/survival action horror/whatever RE will suddenly sell them. Even with the marketing, there's been at least 2 major entries most of the cornered consumer base is familiar of that establishes expectations. That's why I said it would be interesting to see. Would equal/greater marketing effort for a horror-centric RE (again, doesn't exclude action) put the numbers in the ballpark of those two titles, or will it fall short due to what fans are familiar with and expect? Seemed like a harmless curiosity to me that wouldn't be offensive.

Hellraider

RE6 proves that you can appeal to neither by trying to appease everyone, make Mercenaries mode full unlockable for the shootbang boulder punching folk, and lets see them attempt going all in on these "horror roots" with the the campaign.

Yeah, RE6 is my primary example of why I have second thoughts on Capcom executing anything correctly.

I'm currently playing through Until Dawn and I can't help wondering how great a RE title with these fixed cameras angles would be. I really do hope they ditch the RE4 perspective and gameplay.

I wonder if they are going to reveal it through either Sony or MS' show, since Capcom doesn't have a show of their own. Or will it just be announced the old fashioned way over the Internet?

Either way, they have said this before, going back to roots etc. I'll believe it when i see it.

Spoo

Probably a good direction. I mean, there's some parts you don't want to bring back, no matter how rooty they are -- fixed camera angles, pre-rendered backgrounds, etc., but the idea of being in a scary place with little ammo, solving interesting puzzles, and just complete atmosphere saturation, yeah, those are good ideas and would be welcomed back.

When you *do* use a weapon, though, it needs to feel good. The newer games were excellent at that, so you need it.

Don't go off the rails. Make a more grounded story?

Shauni

They'll bring it back. Easy Mode could do away w/ the ink ribbons or give the player unlimited ink ribbons, but that's as far as accommodations need to go. It doesn't need autosaves or increasing the amount of save rooms to ridiculous amounts. Normal and Hard could do things like the classic REs did; no issues there.

Besides, REMake and RE0 did pretty damn well, so people might be overestimating how upset modern gamers could get at the inclusion of the classic save system.

They won't. That design is way past vogue, and even modern games that utilize strict checkpoint rooms (such as Alein: Isolation), don't limit saves.

REMake and Zero HD sold well, but not nearly as well as RE5 and 6. It indicates that they're is an audience out there for these types of games, but it's a baseless assumption to assume that it indicates there's hatred on a grand scale for the modern style, especially since Revelations 2 sold roughly as much as REMake HD in the same timeframe.

So all those people who bought those games the first week knew EXACTLY what the game was and knew exactly what it was before buying it? That as soon as it hit shelves, its existence just was made aware in everyone's mind without any information?

Uh, yes? Lol, by the time both 5 and 6 came out, 4 had established this style. And 5 had a demo that showcased the co-op features. No one was blindsided by what these games are. Besides, RE6's sells show the opposite of this. They started out slow, but eventually swelled to what they became: the second highest selling game in the franchise. It makes more of a case that once word got out about the game, more people came than left.

Jawmuncher

I wonder if they are going to reveal it through either Sony or MS' show, since Capcom doesn't have a show of their own. Or will it just be announced the old fashioned way over the Internet?

Either way, they have said this before, going back to roots etc. I'll believe it when i see it.

Going to bet either MS or Sony is paying for Marketing. With the SFV relationship already there it's more than likely will be at Sony, but it's still possible to be MS.

Shauni

Going to bet either MS or Sony is paying for Marketing. With the SFV relationship already there it's more than likely will be at Sony, but it's still possible to be MS.

Highly doubtful. RE is their biggest franchise, and they've already established a presence on both platforms through re-releases and Revelations 2. They aren't going to cut one out, and the franchise has shown it doesn't need to be helped. They'll go solo on this one.

But I do think it'll unveil at either Sony's or MS's conference.

Dusk Golem

Highly doubtful. RE is their biggest franchise, and they've already established a presence on both platforms through re-releases and Revelations 2. They aren't going to cut one out, and the franchise has shown it doesn't need to be helped. They'll go solo on this one.

Or if some games have something to say, it may pop up at both of their conferences, albeit with different demonstration/trailers.

Bergerac

They won't. That design is way past vogue, and even modern games that utilize strict checkpoint rooms (such as Alein: Isolation), don't limit saves.

I don't get the logic that limited saves are outdated at all given the hard-on for No save/Permadeath modes in the industry. There are even more recent examples such as Dead Space 2's Hardcore mode having a limited save system.

There is no reason why limited saves are a problem. The only thing that does *seem* outdated is the idea of a save as a consumable item - but then is it outdated, or is it just that barely anybody else used that system so notably?

Are RE6 Fans trully the minority with those kinda sells?
Why not continue the action packed horror series?

Capcom To those who want their TLOU RE,please keep them happy with Remake 2 and the revalations series.

Make RE7 be single player or coop using Jake, keep pushing the combat system of Resident evil 6, don't look back.

Jawmuncher

I don't think either company paying for marketing will affect the game. Since it'll still be Multiplatform. COD being advertised by Sony all the time doesn't stop the Xbox Version from selling millions. Even battlefront had Sony marketing and if anything doesn't need help its star wars.

Or if some games have something to say, it may pop up at both of their conferences, albeit with different demonstration/trailers.

That's happened like never though.

Shauni

Possible, but does something like this have precedent for happening, though? I can't recall an example.

I don't get the logic that limited saves are outdated at all given the hard-on for No save/Permadeath modes in the industry. There are even more recent examples such as Dead Space 2's Hardcore mode having a limited save system.

There is no reason why limited saves are a problem. The only thing that does *seem* outdated is the idea of a save as a consumable item - but then is it outdated, or is it just that barely anybody else used that system so notably?

As part of a hardcore mode or something, possibly, but as a standard system (which I assume is what people are asking), there's pretty much no way I see them going that route whatsoever.

Shauni

I don't think either company paying for marketing will affect the game. Since it'll still be Multiplatform. COD being advertised by Sony all the time doesn't stop the Xbox Version from selling millions.

I thought you meant Sony taking the bill like they did for SFV. I guess this is more possible, with the PS4 getting some type of exclusive content. But I honestly think the series has proved that it can stand on its own, and Capcom will go solo with it.

Hellraider

I'm convinced they'll be getting Microsoft to co-market whatever Vancouver's game is. It would make perfect sense to them to do that.

I don't expect them to go with Microsoft for a made in Japan game with the way things have been going for xbox nowadays.

Jawmuncher

I thought you meant Sony taking the bill like they did for SFV. I guess this is more possible, with the PS4 getting some type of exclusive content. But I honestly think the series has proved that it can stand on its own, and Capcom will go solo with it.

It definitely can, I think it'll be more on if Capcom wants to save some money depending on their budget. They did go solo for RE6. MS helped with 5 though, I remember the exclusive bundle there.

REMake and Zero HD sold well, but not nearly as well as RE5 and 6. It indicates that they're is an audience out there for these types of games, but it's a baseless assumption to assume that it indicates there's hatred on a grand scale for the modern style, especially since Revelations 2 sold roughly as much as REMake HD in the same timeframe.

Uh, yes? Lol, by the time both 5 and 6 came out, 4 had established this style. And 5 had a demo that showcased the co-op features. No one was blindsided by what these games are. Besides, RE6's sells show the opposite of this. They started out slow, but eventually swelled to what they became: the second highest selling game in the franchise. It makes more of a case that once word got out about the game, more people came than left.

I think you're being biased. I'm not saying that everyone was ignorant of what the titles were like. After all, the partnership with Microsoft was a big deal that helped solidify the co-op avenue for the series and other online titles. Both also had demos, with the E3 one for RE5 and two for RE6 (Dragon's Dogma demo and a free demo). And those demos were *gasp* a part of that marketing.

But again, look at where sales were with 4....and then look at 5. There's something there that isn't just action, or even the RE name. Nor quality, given there was a slight drop in the critical reception of 5 compared to 4.

That's also going by your assumption that all those 5 and 6 players were familiar with RE prior, or even anything like the type that frequents places such as here or, casting the net wide, IGN. Mentioning the films again, those probably brought in loads of new consumers, whether it be from enjoying them or just on the name alone.

Of which, I think you demonstrated how big RE's mindshare has grown in the years with your attempt to wave away the recent REmake and 0master sales. These titles were silently put out. For a time, digitally only. And yet somehow, quite quickly, sold well for some old titles. And those were likely just whatever hardcore audience that already had interest and knew of the releases.

Somehow, it seems you're trying to compensate for what you assume is an attack on the recent installments you enjoy by the mere mentioning of just the questioning on if Capcom decided to market a horror themed RE, whether that be RE7 (unlikely), REmake2, or perhaps some other installment. I doubt the series is going to suddenly be something you don't like if Capcom made such an attempt. Even if say REmake2 sold a fantasy number like 8 million day 1, there's still 2 prior titles that sold amazingly well to not discount that trend due to one game.

Really, and I don't know how this can be made any clearer, this wasn't even something aimed at the quality or necessarily on the direction of the series. If anything, it was simply courting what numbers/revenue could be brought in from an installment that possibly isn't a mainline title or may not be what many assume automatically sells games. Personally, I've enjoyed each entry in different ways, and will be content so long as I like the narrative and gameplay (which RE6 was a mixed bag, especially with Simmons and Carla nonsense dragging it down). There's no angle or bias for or against modern or classic titles in the series.

TreIII

I fully expect the clean slate to just be a few new characters and a story that doesn't rely on any prior knowledge. Like how many have been saying basically RE4 style clean slate.

The sad thing is, it really seemed like 6 was setting up a "clean slate" for the next game, via having the likes of Pier poised to take the mantle from Chris, Jake and Sherry having their own thing, and etc.

But then we know what happened to
Piers

Here's hoping it's true because RE6 was such a bore. people say the combat was second to none but that didn't matter much to me if everything else was incredibly uninteresting. Resident Evil still has pedigree to its name, just make a good game.

Dusk Golem

I don't think either company paying for marketing will affect the game. Since it'll still be Multiplatform. COD being advertised by Sony all the time doesn't stop the Xbox Version from selling millions. Even battlefront had Sony marketing and if anything doesn't need help its star wars.

That's happened like never though.

I recall some of the same games being at multiple conferences, including between Sony and Microsoft in some recent years. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly it being specifically Sony and Microsoft, I just remembered a trend the last few years when watching E3 with friends I would kind of tune out when certain games would be shown at multiple conferences I didn't really care for. I know the EA, Ubisoft, etc. but I swear there's been like, one or two games that also appeared at both conferences.

But I also wouldn't be surprised RE7 was moneyhatted or advertisement paid to appear at one or the other.

If it has RAID mode, they have my axe.

It's the secret best thing to happen to Resi in years. Making a loot driven RPG out of The Mercenaries? Fan-bloody tastic.

Gawd, could you imagine RAID mode with Resi 6 controls.

I forgot all about that. They were recently talking about how they wanted to push to a new generation of fans, with clothing being one such way.

They could be planning a RE Xtreme Volleyball edition and that's where the fashion magazine stuff comes into play. Wrong magazine maybe, but it's a start.

Possible, but does something like this have precedent for happening, though? I can't recall an example.

As part of a hardcore mode or something, possibly, but as a standard system (which I assume is what people are asking), there's pretty much no way I see them going that route whatsoever.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned Normal/Hard mode earlier. They don't really need a super-Hard mode for the ink ribbon/limited saves feature to appear.

Besides, the classic RE games were partially built around the presence of limited saves, and any risk of a new player needing to restart from the beginning for wasting saves can be averted either by them watching videos for tips or the game itself providing tips for the player on the optimal times to save, without removing that part of the design completely.

As, again, it was pretty important in crafting the design of the classic games.

Elios83

Great news if true.
Of course this does not mean that RE7 will feature Psone level gameplay :D
I'd like to see a truly next gen version of RE4 (even better with the earlier progenitor demo atmoshpere), something that both RE5 and RE6 failed to be.

Bergerac

Why though? Souls developers stick with the general difficulty of their games despite the possibility of an expanded casual audience.

RE already used a limited save system so it's nothing new, and it wasn't ever a problem anyway even on Hard modes. There always were Ribbons unless someone played like a complete tool and saved far too often.

I say screw modern convention and just force people to use Ribbons again. It's a large part of the classic design.

By horror roots do they mean their Alone in the Dark rip-off roots?

Ceases to be a rip off if it dares to be better.

Jawmuncher

I recall some of the same games being at multiple conferences, including between Sony and Microsoft in some recent years. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly it being specifically Sony and Microsoft, I just remembered a trend the last few years when watching E3 with friends I would kind of tune out when certain games would be shown at multiple conferences I didn't really care for. I know the EA, Ubisoft, etc. but I swear there's been like, one or two games that also appeared at both conferences.

But I also wouldn't be surprised RE7 was moneyhatted or advertisement paid to appear at one or the other.

Only recent one I can think of is MGSV. Since that had been at MS and Sony conferences. But I don't think at the same event aside from maybe a sizzle reel. But yeah depending on when RE7 comes out, it could possible be at one persons and then another's the next time we see it. It would all depend on how soon it hits and if someone indeed wants to pay for te marketing id guess. Since you're right for now just because it was shown at a certain E3 conference doesn't mean that they'll have the marketing rights necessarily.

I'm convinced they'll be getting Microsoft to co-market whatever Vancouver's game is. It would make perfect sense to them to do that.

I don't expect them to go with Microsoft for a made in Japan game with the way things have been going for xbox nowadays.

That makes sense. At this point Capcom Vancouver is basically MS 2nd party

The sad thing is, it really seemed like 6 was setting up a "clean slate" for the next game, via having the likes of Pier poised to take the mantle from Chris, Jake and Sherry having their own thing, and etc.

But then we know what happened to
Piers

Yeah RE6 did seem like a setup to that in some ways.

A reboot huh?

Not sure I believe it, but fingers crossed it happens. 6 was just too far batshit insane and there's no realistic way to continue in that universe without it all going super crazy and giving everyone Wesker like powers.

Top Bottom