• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkan Toto rumor: Resident Evil 7 reveal at E3, will go back to horror roots

Mithos

I'm hoping this ends as hilariously as the last time they talked about going back to their roots.

ibaigypwkhlrnmtgqsu.gif

I'd say that control/camera system was right on HORROR, so success I guess!

BD1

Banned
Nice. I loved 4, didn't mind 5 & 6, but its time to go back to the classics. Love those early PS1 games.

What I really want is a remake of Resident Evil, in
poop in pants inducing
VR

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
As a horror enthusiast, Resident Evil 3.5 I have always found tremendously interesting and am curious what the series would be like (assuming it wasn't dead) if it had gone through. Let alone, how gaming itself would be if it ended up like that, since RE4 really did move the action genre forward, and action games themselves would of probably been a lot different without RE4, let alone horror games. The interesting what ifs... I hold onto a loose hope that the prototype will find its ways to fans hands someday so I can try it out, but alas.

As much as I like this version, it's more Silent Hill than RE

I consider it more of its own thing, but it was a very different brand of horror than the rest of the series. I would be curious if they decided to go that direction where it might end up, but alas.

Though your comparison and the fact the Twitter posts mentioned they hired one of the designers from P.T. made me chuckle to myself with the thought of how the internet would respond if Resident Evil 7 ended up being more of the Silent Hill game people wanted. I don't think this is the direction RE7 is going at all, but the thought highly amuses me.

Their only conclusions after 5 and 6 should have been: remake 4 with a new story, setting, and characters.

However...given that I have played since RE1, I'm willing to take a look.

Dusk Golem

Why wouldn't you want this sexiness to come back?

336b2846d2f50ad5248fa5852fc39e60.jpg

Exactly.
I expected to downright hate Jake before RE6 came out, honestly the idea of his character is still super dumb. But little did I expect him and Sherry to be some of the best parts of RE6, actually, For Jake's side, I in big part blame his over snarkiness and Troy Baker.

Dusk Golem

this is what remake 2 should be like.

To be fair, they haven't tried to do a big budget, marketing push for a modern RE game in the horror style, so they may be giving it a try to see if the brand name is strong and if people want horror.

But I do expect it will still have action, just toned down. Which is fine, since even the classic RE games had action in them.

Tackling this in two parts on the content:

1. The horror roots doesn't necessarily mean no action. Resident Evil 4 had the Regenerators, Iron Maidens, Novistadors, night village, Colmillos, and the coinciding levels/encounters with them. RE5 had the Reapers. RE6 had the Rasklapanje. Even some of the classic titles bordered the action. Just keep in mind horror doesn't mean classic survival horror gameplay.

2. Clean slate will likely be jettisoning most of what was attempted to build to in RE6. The Family doesn't have a strong connection with the main string puller of the series, one-off Simmons, eliminated. Neo Umbrella seemed too closely tied with Carla and the C-virus, with the only other participants than Carla in the 'company' being the Neo-Umbrella J'avo. Somehow the C-Virus is in some Middle East/African country given the Napad encountered by Jake Mueller post-game, yet again that virus seemed too reliant on now deceased characters. C-virus was also the least consistent in how it mutated compared to T, G, Las Plagas, and Uroboros.

Unless they will attempt to introduce entirely new characters to dodge escalating events further, that will be the extent of the clean slate narratively.

Gravidee

The mainline titles are kind of dead to me until they can be cutting edge again in terms of graphics, have some genuine scares and to bring back gruesome, uncensored deaths.

Jawmuncher

I fully expect the clean slate to just be a few new characters and a story that doesn't rely on any prior knowledge. Like how many have been saying basically RE4 style clean slate.

Seeing as 5 and 6 are the best selling RE games I totally believe Capcom here.

Yeah, they aren't going to be dropping as much as people are thinking. For example I don't see coop going anywhere.

Nerrel

All I'm saying is that the strict horror aspects of the series has always been exaggerated, and I would point to RE2 as being the big turning point for the series embracing the action aspect. All RE4 really did in that regard was change the viewpoint and give you real manual aiming options.

That's a very, very big stretch. RE2 was RE1 on a larger scale. There were more enemies and ammo, but it was still balanced as a horror game- the core gameplay/formula was not altered at all. RE3 was much more of a push to action with destructible scenery, dodging, bigger guns, and even more numerous enemies, but even that still had its footing firmly in the same survival horror formula.

RE4 was a huge shift. It was the moment the series stopped being survival horror and became "action horror." It outright negated the original survival formula by not only giving you ammo when you killed enemies, but also gold. You were incentivized to kill everything in order to level up. The idea of rationing ammo and only shooting when necessary was thrown out the window. You also had very little puzzle solving or backtracking, with extremely linear environments that facilitated faster paced action. The changes RE4 made go way, way, beyond just giving you manual aiming, and the steps toward action taken in the first 3 games pale in comparison to what RE4 did.

I don't even see the point of retconning RE2 as an action game. Why bother? To somehow prove that everything RE6 did to the series was just fine, because it was always this way all along?

lame gag

Banned
As much as I like this version, it's more Silent Hill than RE

Mmm. This looks cool but if this was the version that was released, the same people bitching the about the final RE4 would be bitching about that one guaranteed. Not sure Silent hill is the right choice though, looks more like Fatal Frame or something to me. But like you say, it doesn't look like RE.

neohwa

The mainline titles are kind of dead to me until they can be cutting edge again in terms of graphics, have some genuine scares and to bring back gruesome, uncensored deaths.

RE6 was cutting edge in graphics, scary, and gruesome. so no reason to expect otherwise for RE7.

platina

It's not just going back to the "roots" you have to have the amazing music present in resident evil 2, 3, cv. Don't just meet halfway Capcom do it right. The hardcore fans have spoken, resident evil remake and 0 sold considerably well and you have acknowledged it. You don't need a massive budget, the classic games never needed it. You try to do too much and you will fail. Return to your true classic horror roots.

this is what remake 2 should be like.

If they could nail down that hybrid system, it's likely the best avenue for the series moving forward. However, REmake 2 will depend on how faithful they wish to be. Being able to aim over-the-shoulder introduces plenty of balance and design issues there. Not a bad thing, but it may be more involved than what the team could be aiming for.

Seeing as 5 and 6 are the best selling RE games I totally believe Capcom here.

To be fair, they haven't tried to do a big budget, marketing push for a modern RE game in the horror style, so they may be giving it a try to see if the brand name is strong and if people want horror.

But I do expect it will still have action, just toned down. Which is fine, since even the classic RE games had action in them.

That's the curious thing: how well can survival horror (whether modern style or REmake-esque) do when it has a juggernaut marketing campaign behind it like RE5 and 6? That's what sold those games, so what happens if the series shifts again with full support would be interesting to watch.

mortal

Gold Member
Back to series roots huh, what does that even really mean anymore? Anytime a developer or publisher is desperate to regain its fanbase, they pull the "back to roots" card.

We shall see.

Korigama

Yeah, nothing about how Capcom have handled this franchise gives me any reason to believe this at all. I expect the same emphasis on over-the-top action and removal of adventure elements (i.e., exploring and familiarizing with fixed locales, searching and examining rooms, solving puzzles), all while keeping the same mandatory co-op experience throughout the entire campaign that completely rules out conveying any sense of horror or tension because you're never alone and absolutely nothing poses any real threat to either person part of the newest hyper capable pairing anyway.

Papacheeks

Banned
I would love a new take on the series as well. Wouldn't mind they reboot it and do a dual character story arc.

It would be cool to play it off similar to how Umbrella is represented in the first Resident evil film, as a corporate conglomerate.

Be cool if you were just a desk worker in a big city building, and way underneath the sub levels are where the virus labs are, and shit goes down. Imagine the panic, hysteria, all happening on different levels and power goes out, and your just some dude trying to get out.

Then have it from a new stars team perspective with new main character, and they are called in to try and assess the situation and get caught into lockdown.

To me that would be awesome. As stars member you get a hand gun, and slowly build up your weapons like in original RE, then it switches to desk worker who literally has nothing but maybe an axe from fire escape, and a walkie talkie from security guard.

That would be compelling, having to hide more, until the desk worker gets a weapon, and have it switch back and forth between characters.

They probably couldn't even have changed the direction for RE7 drastically since last year. Revelations 2 interviews were all about only spinoffs doing more lowkey horror and mainline keeping action. And that was only a year ago.

Shauni

Anyone who thinks they are just going to ditch the style of the series post RE4 just because a vocal internet minority hates is really in for a disappointment. They may alter the pace to be less actiony, something akin more with Revelations 2, but they're not going to deviate to the point many of you want.

Squire

Banned
This was lovably inevitable, on some level.

Drop the entire canon into a volcano.

Amen.

They say this every time, though.

They do, but the difference this time is their contemporary titles; they're launching this game in the same generation as Alien: Isolation, Until Dawn, and yeah, P. T.

Horror as a genre is undeniably back en vogue. If RE isn't genuinely going back to it now, it's not ever going to.

Jawmuncher

They probably couldn't even have changed the direction for RE7 drastically since last year. Revelations 2 interviews were all about only spinoffs doing more lowkey horror and mainline keeping action. And that was only a year ago.

Anyone who thinks they are just going to ditch the style of the series post RE4 just because a vocal internet minority hates is really in for a disappointment. They may alter the pace to be less actiony, something akin more with Revelations 2, but they're not going to deviate to the point many of you want.

Pretty much. Everyone should expect the game to more than likely still be action, just with better atmosphere and a slightly slower pace.

Dusk Golem

Here's what they said about Resident Evil 7 in an interview before Revelations 2:

When asked about rebranding Revelations 2, or absorbing it into the main series as Resident Evil 7, Capcom Producer Michiteru Okabe told IGN that the mainline games and sub-series serve different purposes.

“I think the big numbered titles are where we try the big sort of experiments, bold new things,” Okabe said. “We see what sticks, and continue to refine those ideas. I think with the spin-off series we have the opportunity to do something a little different."

So all they said is they think the main titles is where they're more experimental.

Nerrel

It's worth noting here that the "vocal internet minority" is the "original fanbase that launched the series."

Shauni

That's the curious thing: how well can survival horror (whether actioned up or REmake-esque) do when it has a juggernaut marketing campaign behind it like RE5 and 6? That's what sold those games, so what happens if the series shifts again with full support would be interesting to watch.

I'm sorry, but no. People legitimately enjoyed these games, and the direction the series has taken. You don't foster the level of success the series has with just marketing something. That's just purely a fantasy birthed within the limited bubble of internet fandom.

Jawmuncher

It's worth noting here that the "vocal internet minority" is the "original fanbase that launched the series."

Looking at The sales of RE5 & 6 doesn't seem that pleasing this minority would suddenly balloon their sales even higher. Seems like a gamble.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
If this is true I'm in, just like I'm in for that remake of Resident Evil 2.

Looking at The sales of RE5 & 6 doesn't seem that pleasing this minority would suddenly balloon their sales even higher. Seems like a gamble.

Resident Evil 5 still reviewed quite well, while Resident Evil 6 might have sold on the coattails of 4 and 5 and devalued the brand as a lot of people (and not just reviewers) didn't like it that much. They don't want another RE to get bad reviews.

Shauni

Baseless assumption. Not everyone who enjoyed the original series, such as myself, hate the new direction, and I know several people who are the same way. Even if it was true, it doesn't make them less of a vocal internet minority, so it's a pointless statement to make.

sublimit

Banned
Please bring back the intricate level designs along with puzzles,shortcuts and hidden stuff as well as the ink ribbon save system.

What really needs to return is a good file feature. 5 did rather well in that area, but 4 was rather bare and 6 was some of the worst in framing, content, and in the writing itself.

On top of that, there needs to be some better regional work. The writing can get really silly (in a bad way) in comparison.

Top Bottom