• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin'en: Wii U is the most powerful console, modern tech, lots of potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astery

ib0GAm4Pi6fFGR.jpg

drkOne

I'm pretty sure this means the Wii U is stronger than the PS4/new Xbox. At least that's how it sounds like.
Unless those aren't consoles. I think I might be onto something here...

jerd

Hey beats denying that Nintendo decided to go cheap on the hardware again (back in E3 2011, the hard was the shit!).

I love that today's definition of "go cheap" is to make money. Just because Sony and Microsoft use this loss leading philosophy does not mean it is "cheap" that Nintendo does not.

ViolentP

I never played Nintendo consoles for power. That's for my PC and competing consoles to handle. Nintendo used to have games that were just fun. But since the Gamecube and DS, nothing they have released has enticed me. And so far, neither has the Wii U.

PGR3 and Kameo was really impressive at launch.
PGR3 was sub HD and 30 fps. Kameo was an Xbox port, and looking at the recently leaked media of the near complete original, the 360 version was barely upgraded (mostly the lighting).

DOA4 looked like DOAU in stills, PD0 had wallguy. People called it Xbox 1.5 for a reason.

I never played Nintendo consoles for power. That's for my PC and competing consoles to handle. Nintendo used to have games that were just fun. But since the Gamecube and DS, nothing they have released has enticed me. And so far, neither has the Wii U.

What did Gamecube have that interested you that Wii didn't? I personally thought Wii was stronger than Gamecube when it comes to first party games.

ViolentP

What did Gamecube have that interested you that Wii didn't? I personally thought Wii was stronger than Gamecube when it comes to first party games.

Metroid Prime, Resident Evil, Twin Snakes, Tony Hawk, Smash Bros Melee, Wind Waker, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin, etc.

And all could be played with a regular controller.

Satchel

Banned
It's a console that plays Nintendo's games in HD.

Coild not give a fuck if its that powerful or not.

It's Nintendo games. In HD.

I love that today's definition of "go cheap" is to make money. Just because Sony and Microsoft use this loss leading philosophy does not mean it is "cheap" that Nintendo does not.
There is absolutely no reason why someone couldn't or shouldn't have this opinion.

Matter of fact, as a consumer, why the hell wouldn't you expect competition to...compete?

Just because our competition's consumers expectations are A, B C doesn't mean we, as the competition should do the same. Uh, no, that's exactly what it means.

GDGF

Soothsayer
It's a console that plays Nintendo's games in HD.

Coild not give a fuck if its that powerful or not.

It's Nintendo games. In HD.

That's all I really need right there.

Glad that it's no slouch though. Don't get me wrong! But I'm mainly glad that we're seeing the kind of range of titles (from first and third parties) that we haven't seen on a Nintendo home console since the Gamecube days.

PGR3 was sub HD and 30 fps.

Being sub HD and 30 fps just proves his/her point even more. Seeing how it was still a huge step up visually from the previous gen.

Kameo was an Xbox port, and looking at the recently leaked media of the near complete original, the 360 version was barely upgraded (mostly the lighting).

For people looking at footage, maybe it was barely upgraded, but to the people who had an hd tv and actually played it at launch, there was clearly more going on besides the lighting.

DOA4 looked like DOAU in stills, PD0 had wallguy. People called it Xbox 1.5 for a reason.

Your actually using this as an argument? Yeah if you cherry picked screen shots and looked at freeze framed stills, it looked like Xbox 1.5. But if you played the games in motion, it clearly wasn't.

Being sub HD and 30 fps just proves his/her point even more. Seeing how it was still a huge step up visually from the previous gen.
A subHD, 30fps racer isn't what I'd have considered impressively "next gen" in 2005. Not after seeing Xbox 1 racers like Rallisport Challenge 2. And I didn't, I went for RR6 instead. Not insanely good looking, but it also didn't sport a subpar resolution and framerate.

For people looking at footage, maybe it was barely upgraded, but to the people who had an hd tv and actually played it at launch, there was clearly more going on besides the lighting.
I played it too, at launch. I thought it was nice looking at the time, but it's pretty amazing in retrospect just how little it actually progressed over the Xbox 1 version. It even recycles the same models and environments as is.

The only real upgrade I could spot was the lighting, as well as some added cinematics that threw a ton of (those Xbox 1) models around.

Your actually using this as an argument? Yeah if you cherry picked screen shots and looked at freeze framed stills, it looked like Xbox 1.5. But if you played the games in motion, it clearly wasn't.
DOA4 was held back by the artstyle, PD0 held back by being another super fast Xbox upport (nice lighting/mapping though), but the end result was still the same. My 360 didn't give a game that felt "next gen" until Oblivion the following spring.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Bayonetta 2 is gonna look so fucking dope on this thing

It's never been a question of whether it's more powerful, but rather how much more powerful.

That launch games are on par with PS3/360 equivalents was never an argument against that Wii U games may look better in future - it's an argument against the idea that the leap is particularly sizable.

Past generational transitions have been able to provide a significant visible improvement over prior generations at launch due the hardware being a significant technological upgrade.

Wii U games will obviously look better over time as they're designed for the hardware, but the degree of improvement seen over this generation really shouldn't be expected.

a lot of people who don't understand GPU generations will never get it. a dx11 GPU, even if it's a piece of crap when compared to the top of the line, is still a more advance piece of hardware than what the 360 rocks. GPUs are more efficient and easier to take advantage of as the generations go by.

it's not even comparable to the GPUs that are in the current gen consoles. it's got a lot more power under the hood and more efficient ways to use that power.

i'm not saying the Wii U is going to be on the level of a PS4/720, but it's pretty obvious that it'll be much more powerful than the current gen. It doesn't take a lot of tech to be much powerful than current gen either. The tech in the 360 is 8 years old people. That's an eternity in the tech universe. Low end GPU's wipe the floor with the 360. Tablets are pretty much on par with the 360 now.

It's never been a question of whether it's more powerful, but rather how much more powerful.

That launch games are on par with PS3/360 equivalents was never an argument against that Wii U games may look better in future - it's an argument against the idea that the leap is particularly sizable.

Past generational transitions have been able to provide a significant visible improvement over prior generations at launch due the hardware being a significant technological upgrade.

Wii U games will obviously look better over time as they're designed for the hardware, but the degree of improvement seen over this generation really shouldn't be expected.

given the fact that most of the launch games are ports, it's pretty hard to say how much more powerful it is. when compared to what he PC can do right now, it'll never look good for next gen hardware, but compared to last gen, i believe we'll be seeing a considerable advancement in capabilities on the Wii U. But in all honesty, a considerable advancement over last gen really isn't a ton when you compare it to the PC which has yet to be taken advantage of by DX11 games that actually push the boundary.

This sounds nice and all in the face of actual facts but like the link posted in this thread showed, it's not reality.

It just became the case when the facts presented themselves and the shuffling had to begin.

Sure, it's possible that YOU and others with common sense knew the question would be "how much more powerful, not is it more powerful" but don't pretend that everyone knew it was more powerful because whether they have agendas or not, it's not true.

It's the classic case of "OMG LOL it's actually WEAKER than CURRENT GENERATION LMAO"

~real facts begin to surface~

Well DUH, NO SHIT it's more powerful than BLAH BLAH year old tech.

This sounds nice and all in the face of actual facts but like the link posted in this thread showed, it's not reality.

It just became the case when the facts presented themselves and the shuffling had to begin.

Sure, it's possible that YOU and others with common sense knew the question would be "how much more powerful, not is it more powerful" but don't pretend that everyone knew it was more powerful because whether they have agendas or not, it's not true.

It's the classic case of "OMG LOL it's actually WEAKER than CURRENT GENERATION LMAO"

~real facts begin to surface~

Well DUH, NO SHIT it's more powerful than BLAH BLAH year old tech.

So much truth in this post!

I go to bed once and boom. Thread is in oblivion, lol

waypoetic

Banned
Still with these praising Wii U threads? We get it. You want that "bang for the buck". That's how i felt before i bought the Vita.

Sid

Ofc it's the most powerful,ps3 is 6 years old by now and the second generation titles on ps4/720 and wiiu will definitely show by how much they are more powerful than the ps3 respectively and going by the rumored ps4 specs(7870 gpu etc.),aside from the games next gen tech comparisons will be fun indeed.

We know two things for certain.

The Wii-U is more powerful than current gen. The Wii-U is not as great of a leap in terms of raw power as the traditional generational gap over the previous generation.

Thus, as there isn't a great resolution bump, a new dimension, or massively superior capability it stands to reason that a port, or a game that doesn't push the system wouldn't look heads and shoulders superior to the 2 last gen HD consoles, especially since they've had years to mature. That does not mean, however, that software meant to push the hardware won't look noticeably superior to the offerings on the X-Box 360 and the Playstation 3. It isn't so much more powerful that a port is going to look way better at first glance just by virtue of being on the newer hardware, but I'm quite certain that once Nintendo's own flagship games, as well as 3rd party exclusives not rushed for launch or started on older hardware start to roll out, the Wii-U games will be on a whole, noticeably visually superior. What is weird, is that that is somehow a controversial belief, it should be obvious that more modern and capable hardware would outperform the older, less capable machines. Seems like commons sense.

Wii was more powerfull than PS2 - hardly makes it current gen in anything but name and marketing.

Celine

Nano Assault Neo looks great.

I've never heard them articulate why they chose Nintendo, whether it's out of personal preference or if they feel like they can carve out a niche there, similar to Renegade Kid, or if they just like dealing with Nintendo, or all three. Who knows.
All of the three.
Many years ago they thought to do some stuff for PSP but that never went anywhere since publisher interest wasn't there.

Wii was more powerfull than PS2 - hardly makes it current gen in anything but name and marketing.

"Next Generation" as a term has absolutely nothing to do with power.

Where does this "Next gen = more power" stupidity come from?

Wii U could be weaker than the PS2 and it would still count as a next gen system.

Well, the important bits are that the tech is more advanced and superior, so it's not "2006"/ "basically last-gen" tech as some people love to claim, and the often overlooked fact that it's not just about raw computational performance. You can do things on Wii U that would be prohibitive or outright impossible on PS3 and 360 not due to the system being more powerful, but simply because it's much more modern - but you most likely won't see that at launch because it requires different approaches. The "X times/ Y percent faster" stuff doesn't really work.

But how does it help the Wii U? The Wii U is in a lot of trouble, because right now games are not specifically designed to run on the Wii U, they are designed for PS3 and Xbox 360 with a DX9 feature set (or comparable). The GPU of the Wii U may have more features as current gen, but it has not the raw hardware power (like a PC) to make those games look better.

When PS4 and Xbox 720 will be out, games will be designed around DX11/SM5, and Wii U will be in trouble AGAIN.

Gemüsepizza;43011753 said:
But how does it help the Wii U? The Wii U is in a lot of trouble, because right now games are not specifically designed to run on the Wii U, they are designed for PS3 and Xbox 360 with a DX9 feature set (or comparable). The GPU of the Wii U may have more features as current gen, but it has not the raw hardware power (like a PC) to make those games look better.

When PS4 and Xbox 720 will be out, games will be designed around DX11/SM5, and Wii U will be in trouble AGAIN.

The powergap between Wii U and PS4/720 will be significantly smaller than Wii to PS360.

Wiis GPU was insanely outdated on launch. Wiis GPU lacked programmable shaders wich PS3 and Xbox 360 have. That was one major problem. And the insane power gap didn´t help the situation!

Wii Us GPU is AT LEAST DX 10.1 and SM4.1. DX11 and SM5 don´t suddenly introduce stuff that would make Wii U incapable of downports!

"Next Generation" as a term has absolutely nothing to do with power.

Where does this "Next gen = more power" stupidity come from?
Its not a stupidity.
It's a consumer expectation based on every console release of every generation.

Even the Wii had 'more power' than the GC.

The powergap between Wii U and PS4/720 will be significantly smaller than Wii to PS360.

Wiis GPU was insanely outdated on launch. Wiis GPU lacked programmable shaders wich PS3 and Xbox 360 have. That was one major problem. And the insane power gap didn´t help the situation!

Wii Us GPU is AT LEAST DX 10.1 and SM4.1. DX11 and SM5 don´t suddenly introduce stuff that would make Wii U incapable of downports!

I doubt that, the powergap will still be very big:

1. The PS4 and Xbox 720 will have a lot more raw hardware power then the Wii U. Higher clock speeds, higher fillrate, more memory, hdd, ...

2. The PS4 and Xbox 720 will have a more advanced feature set than the Wii U, comparable to DX11 and beyond.

I don't mean to say that the Wii U will have no downports. That is always possible, and it will probably be easier then in this gen. But those games simply won't look good. Right now most games are based on DX9 with a few additional DX11 effects for PC. I am quite sure next gen games will make heavy use of DX11. If you have to pass on these features, those games will look bad. And even if the Wii U has all the features of DX11 (which I doubt), those games will still take a heavy hit on the Wii U, because the PS4 and Xbox 720 will probably use all of their raw hardware power to make them run in 720p. You would still have to heavily reduce the effects and/or the resolution.

People want more than claims. Im sure Shinen is saying truth, but now, I want to see those games with moderns effects, those games that you couldnt make on current gen, those games that looks BETTER than what the best current gen can do.

DrWong

Gemüsepizza;43011993 said:

1. The PS4 and Xbox 720 will have a lot more raw hardware power then the Wii U. Higher clock speeds, higher fillrate, more memory, hdd, ...

2. The PS4 and Xbox 720 will have a more advanced feature set than the Wii U, comparable to DX11 and beyond.

I don't mean to say that the Wii U will have no downports. That is always possible, and it will probably be easier then in this gen. But those games simply won't look good. Right now most games are based on DX9 with a few additional DX11 effects for PC. I am quite sure next gen games will make heavy use of DX11. If you have to pass on these features, those games will look bad. And even if the Wii U has all the features of DX11 (which I doubt), those games will still take a heavy hit on the Wii U, because the PS4 and Xbox 720 will probably use all of their raw hardware power to make them run in 720p. You would still have to heavily reduce the effects and/or the resolution.

1. How big will be the difference and does it mean it would be a generational difference like for the Wii to PS360? That's the question you can't yet answer.
1. Oh... Didn't know the gap between DX 10.1 (or Open Gl equivalent) and DX 11 was so big.

Gemüsepizza;43011993 said:

Going by rumors:

Wii U COULD have DX11 an SM5 too, we just don´t know it yet. It has at least DX10.1 and SM4.1 and DX11 + SM5 don´t introduce stuff that make downports impossible.

Jaguar cores = not more CPU horse power, if you are going by that rumor... That only leaves the GPU, wich even at 1.8 tflop would only be around 3x Wii U and not 20x difference like Wii to PS360.

1gb ram COULD become an issue, but Nintendo coud free up OS ram later down the road, as they did with 3DS.

M°°nblade;43012044 said:
Even the Wii had 'more power' than the GC so you can scrap 'bar the Wii'.

Zelda on GC looked identical to Wii. Only difference was widescreen and Wii version was mirrored.

Yet people bought the Wii. Most bought Zelda on launch even though it looked like the GC version.

Despera

Banned
Zelda on GC looked identical to Wii. Only difference was widescreen and Wii version was mirrored.

Yet people bought the Wii. Most bought Zelda on launch even though it looked like the GC version.
I'm sorry, but the argument ended with this...

M°°nblade;43012044 said:
Even the Wii had 'more power' than the GC so you can scrap 'bar the Wii'.

Going by rumors:

Wii U COULD have DX11 an SM5 too, we just don´t know it yet. It has at least DX10.1 and SM4.1 and DX11 + SM5 don´t introduce stuff that make downports impossible.

Jaguar cores = not more CPU horse power, if you are going by that rumor... That only leaves the GPU, wich even at 1.8 tflop would only be around 3x Wii U and not 20x difference like Wii to PS360.

1gb ram COULD become an issue, but Nintendo coud free up OS ram later down the road, as they did with 3DS.

Like I said, I don't think downports are impossible. The problem I see is in what the devs are targeting. I don't think we will have a situation comparable to PCs here, where games will run in ultra high resolution (1080p+) on powerful hardware like the PS4, and in lower but acceptable resolution (720p) on the Wii U. Next gen games will probably run already at a lower but acceptable resolution (720p) on the PS4/Xbox 720. What does this mean for porting games to Wii U? Unfortunately nothing good, even if the Wii U has the same feature set. They can of course still do it, but I doubt the results are very good. They would have to reduce effects/resolution and or framerate. And when the Wii U does not have the same feature set, it will be even worse. You can fake some effects so that they look not too bad, but this takes a lot of time/money. I am not sure they are willing to invest this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom