• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin'en: Wii U is the most powerful console, modern tech, lots of potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

z0m3le

Banned
Gemüsepizza;43011993 said:
I doubt that, the powergap will still be very big:

The difference in just GPU power between Wii's GPU (12GFLOPs) and 360's GPU (240GFLOPs)

For PS4 and XB3 to outpace the 360 (much less the Wii U, that is rumored to have ~600GFLOPs) they would need to have 4.8TFLOPs, which is probably the entire power of HD8970 (a card that hasn't even released yet, with a TDP likely around 300watts and a cost of at least $500)

1. The PS4 and Xbox 720 will have a lot more raw hardware power then the Wii U. Higher clock speeds, higher fillrate, more memory, hdd, ...

The Xbox had much more raw hardware power than the PS2. (21GFLOPs vs 6GFLOPs, 64MB ram vs 32MB ram, the list does go on here...)

2. The PS4 and Xbox 720 will have a more advanced feature set than the Wii U, comparable to DX11 and beyond.

Wii U's GPU is comparable to DX11.

I don't mean to say that the Wii U will have no downports. That is always possible, and it will probably be easier then in this gen. But those games simply won't look good. Right now most games are based on DX9 with a few additional DX11 effects for PC. I am quite sure next gen games will make heavy use of DX11. If you have to pass on these features, those games will look bad. And even if the Wii U has all the features of DX11 (which I doubt), those games will still take a heavy hit on the Wii U, because the PS4 and Xbox 720 will probably use all of their raw hardware power to make them run in 720p. You would still have to heavily reduce the effects and/or the resolution.

Even DX10.1 vs DX11 hardware has very little difference, especially if you use OpenGL, stepping outside of DX leaves the HD4000 and later series on a nearly identical feature set... DX11.1 btw is a VERY small update.

Anyways as you can see, your post was really poorly worded. Wii U will be the weakest of the next gen consoles and that difference will be noticeable but it will also be negligible.

Well you can downport but... will the game remain the same ?

This is another point. Reducing graphics is one thing, but what happens if you have to change gameplay because of less powerful hardware? We have already seen this on current gen, where Battlefield 3 has much less players on Xbox 360 and PS3 then on PC. We may see this a lot more next gen.

The difference in just GPU power between Wii's GPU (12GFLOPs) and 360's GPU (240GFLOPs)

For PS4 and XB3 to outpace the 360 (much less the Wii U, that is rumored to have ~600GFLOPs) they would need to have 4.8TFLOPs, which is probably the entire power of HD8970 (a card that hasn't even released yet, with a TDP likely around 300watts and a cost of at least $500)

You can't just multiply numbers like that.

The Xbox had much more raw hardware power than the PS2. (21GFLOPs vs 6GFLOPs, 64MB ram vs 32MB ram, the list does go on here...)

...and this hardware was not fully utilized, because the target platform was not the Xbox. It will be different with next gen, developers will target the PS4 and Xbox 720.

Wii U's GPU is comparable to DX11.

We don't know that yet, and those features won't help the Wii U when devs have to port a game which already is at 720p and 30fps on the PS4/Xbox 720.

Even DX10.1 vs DX11 hardware has very little difference, especially if you use OpenGL, stepping outside of DX leaves the HD4000 and later series on a nearly identical feature set... DX11.1 btw is a VERY small update.

Like I said, of course it is possible to fake some DX11 effects on less powerful hardware, but will they do this? This costs a lot of ressources (time/money).

Anyways as you can see, your post was really poorly worded. Wii U will be the weakest of the next gen consoles and that difference will be noticeable but it will also be negligible.

I am afraid that won't be true. A game which already runs at 720p and 30fps on PS4/Xbox 720 will look a lot worse on the Wii U. (vice versa this means Wii U will profit if games run at 1080p/60fps on PS4/Xbox 720, because the differences won't be as noticeable).

Edit: Sorry for double post.

The power gap Wii U vs PS360 is way bigger than Wii too GC

GC to Wii powerincrease was a whopping 1.5x because Wii used the exact same chips(!) with 1.5x higher clockspeed...
Like you say, it still is an increase. So I don't see the stupidity of the 'next gen = more power' assumption you mentioned.

Also, isn't the power increase compared to PS360 hardware rumoured to be a whopping 1.5x - 2x as well?

M°°nblade;43012621 said:
Like you say, it still is an increase. So I don't see the stupidity of the 'next gen = more power' assumption you mentioned.

Also, isn't the power increase compared to PS360 hardware rumoured to be a whopping 1.5x - 2x as well?

It is, but with modern tech.
Wii was 1.5x over Gamecube... and same component, so same technology, and lack of modern shaders etc...
IMO, the only way to see those improvements, you know, modern architecture and DX10.1-DX11 equivalent will be with exclusive games... and not the one from launch window.
I think a heavy use of those modern tech could lead to clearly better looking games than 360/PS3, even if the raw gap power will be small.

Sid

developers have directly compared them...

Also to the other guy, it's funny that you say "we don't know this" but then you tell us the future.
The difference between the wiiu-ps4/nextbox was said to be bigger than the dreamcast-xbox by lherre who is a developer,that's a pretty huge gap in performance.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well, the important bits are that the tech is more advanced and superior, so it's not "2006"/ "basically last-gen" tech as some people love to claim, and the often overlooked fact that it's not just about raw computational performance. You can do things on Wii U that would be prohibitive or outright impossible on PS3 and 360 not due to the system being more powerful, but simply because it's much more modern - but you most likely won't see that at launch because it requires different approaches. The "X times/ Y percent faster" stuff doesn't really work.

sure, but Nintendo arguably has a limited window to show improvement, assuming MS and Sony will be showing their next-gen offerings next year.

Of course I hope most people realise there will be improvements over these titles, but personally I think Nintendo are damn stupid not to have put some time/effort/money into a 'pretty' game. Launching with a 2D mario is insane IMO. Of course gameplay matters, but they are not doing themselves any favours in terms of comparisons with PS3/360 when thats all they have to show.

Even a teaser from Retro would have been nice. Or tech demos even. Right now it feels like Nintendo don't give a shit about the machine, so how are we and third parties supposed to?

ib0GAm4Pi6fFGR.jpg

when I read some Wii-U topics not that obvious for some people here...

The difference between the wiiu-ps4/nextbox was said to be bigger than the dreamcast-xbox by lherre who is a developer,that's a pretty huge gap in performance.

This was never said....

Anyway, I'm sure the same arguments have been rehashed to death in terms of PS4/720 coming out and then no one caring about Wii U, but I'm just happy to hear there is some juice in the Wii U. Nintendo games are going to look amazing even with the jump there is over the PS3/360 and the exclusives like Bayonetta 2 are going to be great.

yep, graphics matter again.

Yeah man, I totally respect the graphics. Maybe you could actually point out some members who have said in the past graphics don't matter ever ever ever ever and now are jumping to the moon that Wii U will have a slight/decent increase over the current two instead of trying to point out your imaginary hypocrisy.

Sid

This was never said....

Anyway, I'm sure the same arguments have been rehashed to death in terms of PS4/720 coming out and then no one caring about Wii U, but I'm just happy to hear there is some juice in the Wii U. Nintendo games are going to look amazing even with the jump there is over the PS3/360 and the exclusives like Bayonetta 2 are going to be great.

Yeah man, I totally respect the graphics
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42110464&postcount=2662
In my opinion I won't put the difference between ps4/xb3 and wii u as the difference between ps2 and xbox. I'll put it bigger than xbox-dc (performance, here it appears that only the gpu is the "main" part in a console ... I think ps3 show us that the cpu can do great things if there is room for it).This is why I said some time ago that I'm interested in the bussiness approach of the companies this "next" gen.

This is only my opinion and nothing more, not a fact, I want to be clear with this, to avoid misunderstandings (so please don't quote me in other forums, etc, it's just a personal opinion).

You can't have subjective personal opinions about power when the spec sheet is in front of you and yeah power didn't help the N64 or the gamecube to gain significant third party support so i doubt it'll help the wiiu.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42110464&postcount=2662

You can't have subjective personal opinions about power when the spec sheet is in front of you.

He says it's his opinion right in the freaking post. There are lot of factors that play into this besides comparing some data on a spec sheet, not to mention the final dev kits on the PS4/720 have not been shipped out yet. There probably will be a bigger gap based on leaked specs, but don't try to turn an opinion into complete fact.

But sometimes, you have to make things clear. I know Wii U will not be much more powerfull than Xbox360 or PS3, but you cant say it is less powerfull or it wont make better things. And thats what some people are claiming.

Oh he was right there for like half this year in every Wii U topic with the anonymous developers claiming Wii U was weaker than the PS3/360

yep, graphics matter again.

No one said they doesnt matter, or they are important.
But sometimes, you have to make things clear. I know Wii U will not be much more powerfull than Xbox360 or PS3, but you cant say it is less powerfull or it wont make better things. And thats what some people are claiming.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
yup, nothing shows hardware potential like launch titles, as seen by genji days of the blade

or, you know, the 1080P/60fps Ridge Racer 7... but hey! I agree with your point fundamentally, but i don't think cherry picking Genji out the pack proves much.

As per Mr Klaw - for all this talk of the machine being so much better, there's nothing remotely showing it at launch. Modern tech means little, results are what matters - and i'm sure we'll see them - just so far, nothing "kills" what X360/PS3 are doing and , unfortunately, it doesn't matter what they did at launch - WiiU is up against those two machines output -now-

Nintendo have a lot of work to do.

He's a developer and his personal opinion matters much more here and he seems to know the specs of all the next gen consoles.

He knows the Wii U specs, and he knew the current dev kit specs of the other two. My entire point was that a non subjective statement could not be made until a developer could play around with all three in their final states.

I doubt even see many titles from Nintendo that look even better than Uncharted 3. It's just not their focus. With their art direction, they'll look beautiful, but then again Wii titles looked beautiful with their art direction. Nintendo is not going to enter budget wars with their games. Retro's game and the next Zelda will probably be too of their only games to push boundaries. And those won't be out until the other two come out.

wsippel

Banned
or, you know, the 1080P/60fps Ridge Racer 7... but hey! I agree with your point fundamentally, but i don't think cherry picking Genji out the pack proves much.

As per Mr Klaw - for all this talk of the machine being so much better, there's nothing remotely showing it at launch. Modern tech means little, results are what matters - and i'm sure we'll see them - just so far, nothing "kills" what X360/PS3 are doing and , unfortunately, it doesn't matter what they did at launch - WiiU is up against those two machines output -now-

Well, as Linzner said, getting the most out of the system will require new approaches (which basically rules out early ports and first generation software in general) and capable developers. I agree that Nintendo should have shown something more flashy, though. A glimpse at what's possible. We'll see, maybe they'll do just that in the next few weeks. As unpredictable as Nintendo is, it's impossible to tell.

Wsipple, I thought the WiiU Members Association agreed this wouldn't be threaded during our Early October Summit which included bockwurst and schnitzel horderves!

✔ "Well it should be better than 2006 tech"
✔ "Yeah, slightly more powerful (on-par)"
✔ "Well, they do have a WiiU game to sell"
✔ "Your penis maybe bigger than mine now, but *PS4* cough *X720* cough"

Ya, or maybe Nintendo will use Bayonetta 2 as a showcase and work with Platinum to get it fully pushing the system.

I wonder this but didn't this have time in development before the Wii U also? Platinum have also said that they do all their development on PCs, so will that have an effect? Or, would they break that rule and use Cafe as lead dev; have they done that with P-100? Bit of a minefield to come to a conclusion on.

KageMaru

(much less the Wii U, that is rumored to have ~600GFLOPs)

From what I read, the Wii-Us GPU isn't 600GFLOPs.

Also you have your flop counts wrong for the ps2. Not that flop counts mattered much last Gen. Thought a developer said all this already in another thread.

wsippel

Banned
Wsipple, I thought the WiiU Members Association agreed this wouldn't be threaded during our Early October Summit which included bockwurst and schnitzel horderves!
I didn't initially want to, but the "19x faster" bullshit thread made me change my mind. Mostly because I wanted to point out that the X times/ Y percent faster shit needs to stop, even though I knew it would be futile.

Nintendo is to blame for this stupid discussion, they should have released the system with a technical impressive game to show the power and shut up the doubters. Amusing to see the typical defence force fill the gap after Pramath's ban. So much insecurity. Carry on kids...

Nintendo is to blame for this stupid discussion, they should have released the system with a technical impressive game to show the power and shut up the doubters. Amusing to see the typical defence force fill the gap after Pramath's ban. So much insecurity. Carry on kids...

I do agree. Specs sheet are useless, most important are the game. And if Nintendo wanted to show that their console is more powerfull than Xbox360 or PS3, they should have shown games that proves it. (I do agree, but only on the fact they should have shown something impressive, the rest of your sentence is your own opinion)

Swings both ways...you must have balance after all :p

I didn't initially want to, but the "19x faster" bullshit thread made me change my mind. Mostly because I wanted to point out that the X times/ Y percent faster shit needs to stop, even though I knew it would be futile.
;)

Nothing wrong with the Japanese Garden demo. Nintendo doesn't jump when NeoGAF says how high.

Metal B

Even a teaser from Retro would have been nice. Or tech demos even. Right now it feels like Nintendo don't give a shit about the machine, so how are we and third parties supposed to?

I would be stupid from Nintendo to play with complete open cards, while the other two hide there hands.

The powergap between Wii U and PS4/720 will be significantly smaller than Wii to PS360.

Wiis GPU was insanely outdated on launch. Wiis GPU lacked programmable shaders wich PS3 and Xbox 360 have. That was one major problem. And the insane power gap didn´t help the situation!

Wii Us GPU is AT LEAST DX 10.1 and SM4.1. DX11 and SM5 don´t suddenly introduce stuff that would make Wii U incapable of downports!

This was also the common thought on GAF regarding the difference between PSP/DS and Vita/3DS.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Nothing wrong with the Japanese Garden demo. Nintendo doesn't jump when NeoGAF says how high.
You'd be surprised how self-important many a gaffer consider themselves.

This was also the common thought on GAF regarding the difference between PSP/DS and Vita/3DS.

perceptually I think anyone not talking in flops, etc, would tell you that apparent gap between Vita and 3DS is smaller, even though it actually isn't in terms of raw power. DS games looked much worse in comparison to PSP games due it missing some fairly major capabilities. 3DS games don't look nearly as bad compared to Vita as it is capable of nice lighting, good texturing, AA, etc.

and i think we're in a position to predict similar things for the Wii U -> PS4 gap. whatever the raw power gap, the perceptual gap is likely to be a lot smaller. most of what makes Wii games look bad is garbage IQ and lack of modern effects rather than polycounts and what have you.

And this was true. Vita/3DS gap was much more smaller than PSP/DS gap. Actually, some 3DS games are really nice looking. Games like Resident Evil Revelations or Dead or Alive Dimensions could be straight ported to Vita, they would have no shame to be on the machine because they looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom