• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, who's buying Mad Max next week?

Proper way to dispatch a hitchhiker in mad max:

NhTzMub.gif

I love the dust trail that follows the guy as he's dragged along and slung across. It's a nice little detail I hadn't thought of or expected.

And the explosions in this game are just.....so impressive, the only other game that looks better in my opinion is JC3 which makes so much sense as to why they look so damn good in Mad Max.

Was looking at some previous pages at Bootaaay's gifs and wanted to respond to this:

This is a good post even if I don't agree with all of it and some should see the similarities, because they are there and I can appreciate the effort in typing all that. But again, I won't hold Avalanche's games to the same shitty design practices as Ubisoft.

And fuck those smuggler caches in W3. I did 3 of them and decided it just wasn't in the cards for me to even remotely find them all. I have 245 hours with Witcher 3 and was fine knowing I'll never get a full 100% completion on it because of those caches. I'd rather people have the choice if they want it as long as it doesn't negatively affect the rest of the game and by all accounts those smuggler cache's didn't negatively affect my opinion of the game one single bit.

Spot on about RDR too. I felt the same exact way about it and it is now one of my favorite games of all time.

edit:

For those that have it. How is the OST? What's it comparable to?

W3 is the first game where I've turned off the map icons and most of the HUD, mini map included, and I'm enjoying it sooooo much more than when I had it all enabled.

And, yeah, RDR is one of my all-time favorite games. Game world done right, no doubt.

ekim

Yeah that compression kills it. If you had to guess, what would you say the range is on the pop-in when you do notice it?

As I said most assets don't pop in noticeably - only small rocks that seem to rendered in procedurally and foliage (which is really sparse). But if you notice them while driving they pop in directly around you - like a car length from your own car.

W3 is the first game where I've turned off the map icons and most of the HUD, mini map included, and I'm enjoying it sooooo much more than when I had it all enabled.

And, yeah, RDR is one of my all-time favorite games. Game world done right, no doubt.

Me too my friend, me too. I couldn't go back after I found how immersed I became in the world without all the shit on the screen, that said it did become annoying to have to pop open the map to find out where you wanted to go next if you became lost. Gopher put out a mod for Witcher 3 that essentially toggles specific hud elements when you use Witcher sense which I feel is a good compromise to not having to specifically always bring up the map menu. Link to that mod if any of you are interested.

I really hope that we can tweak it one way or another with Mad Max.

I love the purple and pink hues in the sky and behind the clouds in this video. It gives me huge RDR vibes.

As I said most assets don't pop in noticeably - only small rocks that seem to rendered in procedurally and foliage (which is really sparse). But if you notice them while driving they pop in directly around you - like a car length from your own car.

Thanks.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Some of it was, yes. I cleared all the '?'s on the W3 maps and it wasn't fun in hindsight (I'm a completionist). Luckily the game has some really good side- and main-quests to compensate for it.

But yeah, W3 has it's share of these problems as well and I cannot understand the universal praise, tbh. I was somewhat glad when it was over.

Not everyone sees these as problems, some people enjoy different things than you do. Most open world games give you optional things to complete, whether its monster contracts in TW3 or clearing out enemy bases in FC3, or exploring random caves in Skyrim. I did these at my own leisure never felt pressured to complete them.. I would think an open world game that was strictly story would be kind of pointless.

It doesn't mean I think the "checklist style" is perfect. I would like more in game payoff for doing them. In Far Cry 3, when you eliminated the bases in an area, enemy population was significantly reduced and sometimes eliminated. However, it never had an effect on the scripted story missions. I would like to see a game where if I put in the effort to clear out the enemy bunkers then maybe I made the Boss run in that area much easier.

ekim

Despite some of the shortcomings (lack of story and some jank in cutscenes), time flies when playing this game. The side missions and collectible stuff is more fun than in other games (except for the Witcher 3) and also the AC like Balloon flights (where you have to discover hotspots within the area with your binoculars) is well done. The upgrades for Max, the car and your forts are a real motivation. I'd guess the game reviews somewhere between 80 and 85 on metacritic.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Not everyone sees these as problems, some people enjoy different things than you do. Most open world games give you optional things to complete, whether its monster contracts in TW3 or clearing out enemy bases in FC3, or exploring random caves in Skyrim. I did these at my own leisure never felt pressured to complete them.. I would think an open world game that was strictly story would be kind of pointless.

It doesn't mean I think the "checklist style" is perfect. I would like more in game payoff for doing them. In Far Cry 3, when you eliminated the bases in an area, enemy population was significantly reduced and sometimes eliminated. However, it never had an effect on the scripted story missions. I would like to see a game where if I put in the effort to clear out the enemy bunkers then maybe I made the Boss run in that area much easier.

It's been mentioned a few times but this is how Avalanche makes their games. Everyone is slagging it as a "Ubi" game but this is how Just Cause 2 was... and a lot of people really liked Just Cause 2. I think people who don't like this style of open world games should just ignore Mad Max, JC3, AC Victory, etc. and move on.

I would think an open world game that was strictly story would be kind of pointless.

Yuuuppp. Mafia 2's open world was so pointless. It looked amazing, and the the graphics and audio were tip-top, but it was the most pointless open world I'd ever seen in a game, it did not need that at all.

I think there was only one option for Mad Max and that was open world. I'd be super disappointed if wasn't an open world game, it makes so much sense in the context of the established lore and characters. It would not work well otherwise in my opinion.

edit: This game has leaderboards yeah? Maybe we should start a list of players/platform so we can all compete with each other? I'd be interested in comparing playstyles and race times.

I'll start:

Krappadizzle/PC(Steam):

Link to my Steam profile if any of you's are getting it on PC. Just send me a message with your Gaf name yeah so I can verify.

Fjordson

Despite some of the shortcomings (lack of story and some jank in cutscenes), time flies when playing this game. The side missions and collectible stuff is more fun than in other games (except for the Witcher 3) and also the AC like Balloon flights (where you have to discover hotspots within the area with your binoculars) is well done. The upgrades for Max, the car and your forts are a real motivation. I'd guess the game reviews somewhere between 80 and 85 on metacritic.
Nice. How's the car handling and the combat? Looks fun.

c0Zm1c

I can't say I'm bothered about whether or not it's like Ubisoft's open-world games to be honest, because other companies tend to do it better than Ubisoft anyway. Dying Light has Ubisoft written all over it and, apart from the awful final mission, that was great.

ironcreed

Banned

Sounds like a balanced and fair view, which makes me take your impressions seriously. I am quite certain that I am going to have an absolute blast with this game.

I still can't believe they went ahead and kept the same release date as T.P.P.

Most gaming publications will be covering T.P.P on release date, most people will be purchasing T.P.P and Mad Max will be left in the dust.

M.W.

Monday morning.

Btw it seems that story progression is pretty fast. But now I'm at a point where the next story mission is locked. Playtime is 5 hours so far an a completion rate of 10%.

So you're on pace for 50 hours. :p

M.W.

I still can't believe they went ahead and kept the same release date as T.P.P.

Most gaming publications will be covering T.P.P on release date, most people will be purchasing T.P.P and Mad Max will be left in the dust.

Sure TPP will sell better but Max will do just fine, both review and sales wise.

I'm going to wait for it in a steam sale next year at some point. What I've seen of it so far doesn't scream immediate purchase.

mad-max-o.gif

Sure as hell does not look anything like Assassin's Creed to me, other than a lot of things on the map.

Best part is that the guy almost looks like Antitrops avatar. Lol.

I watched all the movies this last week and can't believe how much I had forgotten about them. Loved Road Warrior, it's just a hair under Fury Road as best Mad Max movie in my opinion.

PC sales on this game are totally insane. I wish the console versions followed suit, haha.

I've felt like I've saved more money since I switched to mainly being a PC gamer and that the money I did spend to make up my powerful ass rig has been more or less made up with what I save on the actual games I do buy. I picked up Witcher 3 for $17, 6 months before it released. I would have gladly spent $60 and I had no reservation buying the season pass as it was still cheaper than had I bought it for my consoles.

stufte

Best part is that the guy almost looks like Antitrops avatar. Lol.

I watched all the movies this last week and can't believe how much I had forgotten about them. Loved Road Warrior, it's just a hair under Fury Road as best Mad Max movie in my opinion.

OG Mad Max movie is trash. I just pretend it doesn't exist and that the Road Warrior is the only one that exists out of the older movies. It's better that way.

OG Mad Max movie is trash. I just pretend it doesn't exist and that the Road Warrior is the only one that exists out of the older movies. It's better that way.

FXXQg6e.gif

OG MM had some okay car scenes, but for the most part I didn't like it either. Beyond Thunderdumb was o̶k̶a̶y̶ mediocre, but you could easily tell it didn't start as a Mad Max movie.

Top Bottom