• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Advance 4: SMB 3 out on NA Wii U VC tomorrow, includes e-Reader levels

Sorry guys, but THIS is handily the worst song in the SMB3 GBA conversion:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8pr9UtOhFe4

Ooof, forgot about that one. Though a blatantly off-key orchestra hit at the beginning of the SMB1 theme, the most recognizable theme in the entire series, is kinda egregious, I think I'd have to give it to you there.

To be fair though, this song has been on a downward trajectory from the atmospheric original since 1993.

By the way, have I mentioned that none of this is really that important and anyone with a Wii U who likes Mario 3 and new Nintendo-made levels should buy this? I should re-emphasize that.

Why is SMB3 so stingy with in-stage powerups?

Is it encouraging you to use reserve powerups or something? Often, a stage will have only one powerup in the entire level, often not even right at the start, so you have to do portions of the level as small Mario first.

This seems even more punishing in the original, where you'd always return to small Mario no matter what if hit, at least this version lets you remain big if you had a tier 2 powerup.

Impotaku

Thats when the e-reader cards came in useful as you could just fill up your inventory with swiping cards. Pretty much any powerup you wanted, must admit without them some of the levels were tough to do especially the last world.

Back on the NES i used to save my p wings that peach gives you to bypass some of the harder stages on the last level.

nickerous

Been playing these e reader levels on my gba today. Good stuff. Never got into the e reader stuff back in the day. In case anyone didnt know, this wii u release has been modified into an ips patch for gba use. Search the wii u hacking section of gbatemp.

entremet

Why is SMB3 so stingy with in-stage powerups?

Is it encouraging you to use reserve powerups or something? Often, a stage will have only one powerup in the entire level, often not even right at the start, so you have to do portions of the level as small Mario first.

This seems even more punishing in the original, where you'd always return to small Mario no matter what if hit, at least this version lets you remain big if you had a tier 2 powerup.
Levels are pretty short.

More power ups would make it pretty easy.

Rich!

So...someone has managed to extract the ROM from the VC release and create a patch for the unaltered GBA game!

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2714/

Obviously the patch is only for the USA version as of now. If you have your SMA4 cart lying around and a spare DS Lite you can easily rip it and apply the patch via LunarIPS to get all the ereader levels and play on hardware of your choice.

Peltz

Someone needs to compare the content on the Japan release and the US release and see if they have the same levels or not. Then I will consider picking it up. I've already played all the US levels from back when the cards were new, and am only interested in playing the Japan-exclusive ones. I worry they won't be in there because they never had (public) English titles, so when you DO get the Japanese cards working they have gibberish text titles, IIRC.

Yes the Japanese levels are all there. I've compared them.

jholmes

Beat all the e-Reader levels today with all the collectibles. Now I just need to do six stragglers with Luigi. Unfortunately that Para Beetle level is one of them...

Is there any way to use the Wiimote for this game? Not working here.

Nah, the game uses L and R so you can't just use the Wii remote, sadly.

So...someone has managed to extract the ROM from the VC release and create a patch for the unaltered GBA game!

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2714/

Obviously the patch is only for the USA version as of now. If you have your SMA4 cart lying around and a spare DS Lite you can easily rip it and apply the patch via LunarIPS to get all the ereader levels and play on hardware of your choice.

Nice. When I was trying this out the other day, I thought too bad you can't try this in emulation since I'm pretty sure there are vocal removal patches IIRC. I don't hate the vocals, but I'm not really a fan either.

HYDE

Banned
Holy poo...Zero Mission and SMB3 e-reader levels in less than 2 weeks...sweetness!! Nice job NoA, keep it up!

Super Mario All-Stars and Majora's Mask and Drill Dozer Wii U VC for NA next please!?

This was only true in the original Japanese version of Mario 3. In the Western versions, getting hit with a power-up would make you return to Super Mario. (The Western version also added the effect of "dropping" your suit if you're wearing one of the three suits, too.)

Holy poo...Zero Mission and SMB3 e-reader levels in less than 2 weeks...sweetness!! Nice job NoA, keep it up!

Super Mario All-Stars and Majora's Mask and Drill Dozer Wii U VC for NA next please!?

I personally want WarioWare: Twisted. The Wii U Gamepad has a gyroscope and rumble, so it should work fine there. It'll be the perfect opportunity for Europeans to experience the best WarioWare game.

HYDE

Banned
It's a shame they left out the Cape, Boomerang, etc, but bringing back all the limited levels is pretty great.

Wa wa wa wait...You can still play with the cape, boomerang, turnips, etc right!? Just not in the main game, but only on extra e-reader levels correct!? I must know, it's a deal breaker if I can't play with those at all.

jholmes

Wa wa wa wait...You can still play with the cape, boomerang, turnips, etc right!? Just not in the main game, but only on extra e-reader levels correct!? I must know, it's a deal breaker if I can't play with those at all.

There are a couple of levels with capes in World e, and a few with turnips. The boomerang shows up exactly once.

But yes, you can play with all those things and more!

Timeless

Actually we managed to find someone who had the level in the save file and I released it as a Level Card. Too bad no one really noticed it.
My e-Reader base of operations is CaitSith2's e-Reader site, which hasn't been updated in a while.
I personally want WarioWare: Twisted. The Wii U Gamepad has a gyroscope and rumble, so it should work fine there. It'll be the perfect opportunity for Europeans to experience the best WarioWare game.
Europe has a strict mercury ban, even in DLC, so don't count on it. :)

HYDE

Banned
There are a couple of levels with capes in World e, and a few with turnips. The boomerang shows up exactly once.

Sold so hard...thanks for answering, because I've been reading up on and watching tons of e-reader footage lately. Really excited to play them.

Stoked to run on walls with cape against those triangle smily things. (Super Mario World Brothers 3 style)

mindsale

Is the aspect ratio of SMBA4:SMB3 skewed because it was on GBA or is it 1:1 with the NES version?

I own the cart, but I always figured the sprites were bigger and screen smaller to accommodate the limited screen, a la Mega Man & Bass, but my memory's failing me.

Berordn

Don't the toad houses in World-E give you the items as well after you've collected some of the coins in the levels?

I may be blending some memories...

jholmes

Don't the toad houses in World-E give you the items as well after you've collected some of the coins in the levels?

I may be blending some memories...

They do but all I ever seem to get are frog suits. You might be able to get capes, tanooki suits and hammer bros. suits from those, but I haven't. I did see a three-up moon once though.

Impotaku

Once you complete every level in the game you are allowed to use the toad houses/hammer bros as many times as you like they are infinite. You can easily stock up on every powerup as much as you want then.

goldenpp72

This might not be the best place to ask this but, does anyone know if there is any completion marker for the E levels? I got every coin (all in one shot) and the E coins, beat all the levels etc with Mario (and some luigi) but no stars or anything to represent I fully finished it. Does this just not happen or would I have to do it all with Luigi as well?

No big deal, had a great time playing these for the first time, felt like a Mario 3-2, something between 3 and world.

zigg

link removed

I feel like this is effectively piracy. It was a more grey question before the VC release, especially with the non-US content, but this adds content that wasn't present for the original game except through what amounted to card-based DLC (and it's my understanding it was not just unlocks, either.)

I feel like this is effectively piracy. It was a more grey question before the VC release, especially with the non-US content, but this adds content that wasn't present for the original game except through what amounted to card-based DLC (and it's my understanding it was not just unlocks, either.)

To be fair, there's people who bought the original game for the promise of the eReader levels, and NoA did a very half-hearted attempt at following through. NoE wouldn't even touch the eReader entirely. I don't think people were entirely aware at launch of the complex setup needed to actually scan the original cards (requiring two separate GBAs). And they could have built some of those new stages in, but didn't; they limited all the fresh content to region-locked cards. Even SMA3: YI at least included a set of new levels, no cards needed.

This is all old content that's been out there, and reverse-engineered. It's nice that Nintendo brought it all together (the level card, anyway; the feature cards would've been a nice "You beat the game once" unlock) and converted it for all regions, and I'm going to support that. But there's people who paid their $40 for a tweaked port of a remake of an NES game (in lieu of Nintendo actually putting out new Mario games on the GBA), and bought an eReader, that maybe feel justified dinking around with the levels without making a second investment.

zigg

But there's people who paid their $40 for a tweaked port of a remake of an NES game (in lieu of Nintendo actually putting out new Mario games on the GBA), and bought an eReader, that maybe feel justified dinking around with the levels without making a second investment.
I get that, but the cards would also have cost more than $8. I bought the US cards… I want to say they were $6/pack for the two packs it took to get the 10 US levels? I forget precisely how much they cost, though it would have taken at least four more packs plus whatever else it took to get the rest of the levels.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I hate that I can't plug in my Wii U to my 4:3 Wega with my component cables and make it so the picture doesn't look awful. Even with the Wii U system settings, you can't get it to look right. It always cuts off the sides of the picture and has black bars, and no there are no overscan settings within the tv. I don't want to play this on my plasma, nor do I really care to play it on the gamepad. I've been using the latter thus far, but it isn't ideal.

I get that, but the cards would also have cost more than $8. I bought the US cards… I want to say they were $6/pack for the two packs it took to get the 10 US levels? I forget precisely how much they cost, though it would have taken at least four more packs plus whatever else it took to get the rest of the levels.

I'm not going to argue this too much farther, but you're arguing value about things they didn't even release properly, that they promoted as going to be a feature of the software, but didn't actually follow through on. In a way, it's like what Warner did to the PC Mortal Kombat X buyers. "Oh, it exists over here, but you can't get it because we don't want to go through the trouble and cost."

Pretty much everything they included in the VC release has already been out there for years. It's nice to have an official presentation of it, and I'm going to support it. Bedgrudging people for fiddling around with 12-13 year old DLC levels because Nintendo finally got around to pushing them out to more people seems a little needless to me.

Top Bottom