• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he doesn't get fridged when the Universes merge.

Please. He will get Barried.

flash02.jpg

Reading the comments on Deadline...

David Giuntoli? Matt Bomer? Chris Wood? Bomer I could see (though I doubt he'd ever do it) but the other two? Really? I mean that Wood guy would be very CW but the guy from Grimm? Are they serious?

I've been anti-Tom Welling over the last five years but fuck it just use him... Smallville is another Earth and Supergirl's Earth never had the Smallville bullshit to weigh it down, ignoring that they've already used Laura Vandervoort/Smallville's Kara and Helen Slater who now has played both Superman's and Supergirl's mother. That would probably be the most fanservicy ploy Berlanti Productions could probably do for the show and maybe the most they've ever done and I'm including having John Wesley Shipp play Barry's father and Amanda Pays play Dr.McGee.

Joni

David Giuntoli? Matt Bomer? Chris Wood? Bomer I could see (though I doubt he'd ever do it) but the other two? Really? I mean that Wood guy would be very CW but the guy from Grimm? Are they serious?
Chris Wood is young, he is Melissa Benoist young, so I don't see how people could see him as Superman. I do hope they cast him in a more recurring role. Bomer seems like the best guy to do it, looks like Cavill a bit even. Brett Dalton also seems like a wanted choice. TVLine is also suggesting Chuck's Ryan McPartlin.

ZeroX03

Banned
The Suits guy does seem like the obvious choice.

I'd be fine with Welling. It's very fan servicey but it does fit the move to The CW. He still looks great too.

KonradLaw

Reading the comments on Deadline...

Giuntoli has perfect looks for Superman. But he has a full time show on his hands. He won't have time to guest star in Supergirl.

Giuntoli has perfect looks for Superman. But he has a full time show on his hands. He won't have time to guest star in Supergirl.

Even without Grimm which I think is the only thing I've ever been exposed to him, the dude is kinda short for Superman, it might just be because he's surrounded by giants but Giuntoli looks relatively tiny on Grimm. It'd just feel wrong for Jimmy to be much taller than Clark.

I can't believe it but I'm no longer opposed to them just using Welling. It's an easy cast and you won't have to worry about his availability. The only thing is then some people will demand other former Smallville cast members to reprise their Smallville roles... I mean I wouldn't hate Erica Durance doing it but beyond that, no thanks.

I understand why people might want Tom Welling back. He put a lot of time into the role and people basically grew up with him as Clark Kent.

But his disdain for the suit really makes me say "fuck that guy".

Not to mention that it would be all kinds of weird having him play the same role, but different, but still the same. It's not like they'd suddenly throw Smallville into the Arrowverse.

Joni

I understand why people might want Tom Welling back. He put a lot of time into the role and people basically grew up with him as Clark Kent.

But his disdain for the suit really makes me say "fuck that guy".

Not to mention that it would be all kinds of weird having him play the same role, but different, but still the same. It's not like they'd suddenly throw Smallville into the Arrowverse.

It wouldn't be the first time they took the same actor for the same role but different. It includes Doctor McGee, The Flash, the Trickster, ...

It wouldn't be the first time they took the same actor for the same role but different. It includes Doctor McGee, The Flash, the Trickster, ...

McGee and the Trickster aren't major characters, though, and JWS was Barry Allen in the 90s and not Jay Garrick. Not to mention that there's been a little more time between the 90s series and the current one. Tom Welling as Clark Kent is still kind of fresh in people's mind (as "the guy from Smallville") while who could possibly care about McGee or the Trickster. People wouldn't care one bit about the Trickster, if Mark Hamill wasn't behind it.

Patryn

The Suits guy does seem like the obvious choice.

I'd be fine with Welling. It's very fan servicey but it does fit the move to The CW. He still looks great too.

Didn't Welling have some real issues with wearing the suit (by which I mean, he outright refused to wear it), hence the super crappy CG job in the last episode of Smallville?

ZeroX03

Banned
Didn't Welling have some real issues with wearing the suit (by which I mean, he outright refused to wear it), hence the super crappy CG job in the last episode of Smallville?

Welling seems open to the idea. The problem with Smallville is it was pitched to him as a no tights, no flight show and that's what he always wanted the show to be. Pre-Superman. Yes, I know it had essentially abandoned that by S6 but that's still how he felt. If he signed up for Superman he'd do so knowing that an outfit was part of the equation.

And costumes have improved dramatically in the last five years. It'd probably look good, and he's kept fit. He'd sign on knowing that.

Though that they're casting means they've probably already dismissed Welling.

Joni

McGee and the Trickster aren't major characters, though, and JWS was Barry Allen in the 90s and not Jay Garrick. Not to mention that there's been a little more time between the 90s series and the current one. Tom Welling as Clark Kent is still kind of fresh in people's mind (as "the guy from Smallville") while who could possibly care about McGee or the Trickster. People wouldn't care one bit about the Trickster, if Mark Hamill wasn't behind it.
The audience that The CW is aimed at wasn't even born when Smallville started, while the more comic proficient ones would understand the difference. They have always managed to combine fanservice of that level with keeping it clear for newcomers. If they wanted to, it wouldn't be hard to work around it.

The audience that The CW is aimed at wasn't even born when Smallville started, while the more comic proficient ones would understand the difference. They have always managed to combine fanservice of that level with keeping it clear for newcomers. If they wanted to, it wouldn't be hard to work around it.

Alright then. You're the CW expert.

It's only for two episodes and he's going to die, so it's not that important who they'll cast.

Joni

Considering they are casting even, it is clear they aren't aiming for Welling. But the question is more, are they aiming higher or lower? Someone huge for a short stint like Bomer or someone really not that important like Teddy Sears was a bit. If they are really casting for a sacrifice Superman, they should try and go crazy: CHANNING TATUM.

ZeroX03

Banned

They sure were alive when it ended though.

Considering they are casting even, it is clear they aren't aiming for Welling. But the question is more, are they aiming higher or lower? Someone huge for a short stint like Bomer or someone really not that important like Teddy Sears was a bit. If they are really casting for a sacrifice Superman, they should try and go crazy: CHANNING TATUM.

CW budget is now a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom