• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supposed pricing for Google Nexus $550 Regular $650 for XL @32gigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water

surely, google has some kind of pocket ace, right?
If the smaller phone also had Daydream VR compatibility, that would be a rational explanation for it needing comparatively more performance and costing more than the 5X did at launch. It would need an OLED display, for one.
At the predicted price points Google could maybe even bundle headsets en masse, like Samsung has done, for a limited time until they start dropping the price.

thuway

Sundar where the fuck is you mang?

LOL nope. I might have considered this if it at the very least was 5.7 inches, had front facing speakers, and was made by anyone but HTC. The Huawei 6P was the most amazing Nexus design ever, too bad they went crawling back to HTC.

Besides running poorly they also get few new features.
We talking phones right? Cause if we are, there's still no flagship phones with 3D touch (i'll take the L if wrong) and iPhones always kill it in optimization so Idk what the hell you're talking about

BIGWORM

My issue is that 32GB is too little. I have a 64GB Nexus 6P and it's perfectly fine. 128GB is too much. Just... fucking hell, HAVE A MIDDLE GROUND.

Pretty much what happened to me. Originally used the 32gb, which in the end I found limiting. My wife wanted to upgrade her phone, and I wanted to upgrade my storage, and now I'm on the 64gb.

Mz9sO90.png

This is crazy, considering how small of a spec bump it is. Where's Nvidia?

Do we have benchmarks for the 821 yet?

but, but, but....stock android upgrades!

can't believe people still give a shit about this program. It's not like Nexus phones achieve better battery life or have significantly better performance. Also still no expandable storage options, which is a problem for me with all the video/picture I take now a days.

The $400 flagships are better buys. The S7 is already approaching that $400 - $500 off contract price if you look in the right places.

Yes, but then you are stuck with TouchWiz and a fucking ton of useless Samsung apps as well.

I don't even understand why anyone needs a better phone than the Nexus 5/6.

It literally does everything just fine.

Give it a year. In truth though phones feel sluggish and don't work well with newer apps after awhile. If you're a power user or play demanding games then there's no way you'd still be able to use a Nexus 5.

Phones look hideous and are priced way too high.

Ugh

Why aren't there any good stock phones at 400 :<

Well most have to make compromises to get phones to that price. You can get last year's 5X for much cheaper though.

Kthulhu

Phones look hideous and are priced way too high.

Ugh

Why aren't there any good stock phones at 400 :<

Every year people say Nexus phones are ugly till we see them in person. Remember how everyone lost it at the Nexus 6Ps camera and then forgot about it when we saw it on stage?

gcubed

At that price my 6P is definitely good enough for another year and no amount of tech lust will get me to pay that for a reskinned HTC

Nicktendo86

I'm getting kind of confused to be honest. I always thought that Google held back the nexus line to an extent as they didn't want to tread on OEM's toes. They needed a reference device but would give it a shit battery and/or camera to make sure Samsung et all didn't get too pissed off that Google was unfairly competing. I think something has changed now.

It feels like Google are fed up with OEMs putting out phones that don't match their expectations, whether being a lack up updates or the hardware and so are saying fuck it, let's release a pixel phone with top of the line pricepoint and exclusive features.

Personally, after my contract is up next year I will move from my Moto X back to the nexus/pixel line so I don't have a personal problem with it. But I can see some manufactures getting a bit peeved to be honest.

Polari

The stated goal for the Nexus line has always been to push boundaries and demonstrate what is possible with Android. At one point it was worthwhile to demonstrate that you could do a high quality unlocked phone for ~$400. Well, now there are a bunch of Chinese companies like OnePlus and Xiaomi putting out good products in that range. So what's gained by continuing to push on the value market?

The Android market is a lot weaker in the premium end right now, so it makes sense to try to reinvigorate that.

Xiaomi's phones are great, apart from MIUI which blows. I've got the Redmi Note 4 - it's pretty amazing for $200:

- Amazing materials and finish: aluminium unibody, 2.5D glass
- 10-core processor (two A72s, eight A53s)
- 3GB RAM, 64GB of storage
- 13MP camera (average quality, but still far from terrible)
- 4100mAh battery (nice change from my Nexus 5, where I was constantly sweating making it through the day)
- 5.5" 1080p screen

I'd like to see Google do something comparable - even at $300 it would be a steal for stock Android.

Nicktendo86

Xiaomi's phones are great, apart from MIUI which blows. I've got the Redmi Note 4 - it's pretty amazing for $200:

- 4100mAh battery (nice change from my Nexus 5, where I was constantly sweating making it through the day)
- 5.5" 1080p screen

I'd like to see Google do something comparable - even at $300 it would be a steal for stock Android.

You would think, really, those specs should be standard for any flagship nowadays. Especially the battery, I can only think they don't put nice batteries like that in as they want phones to start dying towards the end of the typical two year contract cycle.

RS4-

- 5.5" 1080p screen

Only reason I'm not switching to the 4 yet (aside from getting the N3P two months ago), is that it's running MTK.

Fatalah

If Google offers something similar to Apple's upgrade plan, I'm in.

Would love to have a new Nexus phone every year, with protection, and pay like $27/month.

Futureman

whole lotta pointless statements being made in here considering the phone hasn't been unveiled and this is just a rumored price point.

[
This is crazy, considering how small of a spec bump it is. Where's Nvidia?

Supplying all their next-gen mobile SoC's to Nintendo for the NX.

Also, the Pixel XL is a very HARD pass if that pricing is true. I'll stick with the 6P for another year, crappy battery and all.

Chris R

Every year people say Nexus phones are ugly till we see them in person. Remember how everyone lost it at the Nexus 6Ps camera and then forgot about it when we saw it on stage?

I still think the camera bumps on the 5x and 6p are bad and could do without the touch sensor, but if it comes down to it I guess I'm getting a 5x because at least it's not as ugly as whatever the hell is going on with these Pixel phones. The split metal glass back is bizarre.

Water

I still think the camera bumps on the 5x and 6p are bad and could do without the touch sensor, but if it comes down to it I guess I'm getting a 5x because at least it's not as ugly as whatever the hell is going on with these Pixel phones. The split metal glass back is bizarre.

That position of the fingerprint sensor is the only one that makes sense to me. The finger just falls into it and it doesn't compromise the grip. I don't understand how the iPhone-style lower front edge sensor is ever a good idea since you need to specifically assume some kind of pinch grip for it and then return to stable grip.

Well there is a rumor that it comes with unlimited Google photos original quality cloud storage, so that may account for the price.

Still seems pricey to me but maybe they will add enough perks for it to be worth it.

Well there is a rumor that it comes with unlimited Google photos original quality cloud storage, so that may account for the price.

Still seems pricey to me but maybe they will add enough perks for it to be worth it.

Why would anyone pay for it? You get it for free on flickr.

Kthulhu

I think the split metal glass is for wireless charging, which I believe is impossible for all aluminum phones.

Remember when the Nexus 4 came out and it was a huge success because it was so affordable? Good times. Now everyone's chasing the $500+ pie.

F3qHyve.jpg

Android Police revised their rumor, the smaller device will be $650, the Pixel XL will cost even more.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...xel-phone-start-649-financing-will-available/

Googy pls.

&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;

We aren't going to win are we? Well listen... If it is more expensive, I'm expecting a ton of shit. Like a 10x better camera, better audio, better materials, better scanner etc etc. This phone can't come to damn near $700+ and still look and feel cheap and cut corners on the camera and small storage space. We are going into Samsung and Apple levels of pricing so this phone better "be" expensive and not expensive because of brand name. I will not have it &#128079;

Audioboxer

Android Police revised their rumor, the smaller device will be $650, the Pixel XL will cost even more.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...xel-phone-start-649-financing-will-available/

Googy pls.

Man, Google have been completely failing since the Nexus 4/5 releases. With the 6 they decided to go MASSIVE, effectively pissing off a portion of Nexus buyers, cause no not everyone wants to carry a monitor in their pocket. With the 5x they gave us a shitty cut down version of the MASSIVE handset, pissing people off again as there is no reason to gut the internals.

Now they finally do a reasonably sized phone with good specs again and it's going to be full on Samsung pricing.

Go home Google, you are drunk.

&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;&#128567;

We aren't going to win are we? Well listen... If it is more expensive, I'm expecting a ton of shit. Like a 10x better camera, better audio, better materials, better scanner etc etc. This phone can't come to damn near $700+ and still look and feel cheap and cut corners on the camera and small storage space. We are going into Samsung and Apple levels of pricing so this phone better "be" expensive and not expensive because of brand name. I will not have it &#128079;

Well, HTC pretty much has zero bargaining power when it comes to component pricing. They probably get a shitty deal with every component, compared to Samsung, LG, and Huawei.

Beyond that, the camera is confirmed to be an updated version of last year's sensor, with the only difference potentially being OIS. So, don't expect a 10x difference there.

Sky Chief

My Nexus 6 was $650 and that was the best phone I've ever owned

The biggest problem here is not the price but instead the shitty small 5.5" screen

Google needs to get back to offering a 6"+ option, I've never gotten over the reduction in screen size from the N6 to N6P so I might not even buy the Pixel XL being even smaller

samn

That position of the fingerprint sensor is the only one that makes sense to me. The finger just falls into it and it doesn't compromise the grip. I don't understand how the iPhone-style lower front edge sensor is ever a good idea since you need to specifically assume some kind of pinch grip for it and then return to stable grip.

With the iPhone you're always pressing the home button so it's not unnatural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom