• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Demo (GoW:A Exclusive) Discussion Thread

I heard in some previews that this game is not graphically stunning as for example Uncharted 2 was in its time.

Can you confirm this?

Personally it didn't look as crazy stunning as I wanted it to, but I figure that it is mostly due to me playing a lot of PC stuff these days, and the demo probably being from a early build of the game, so the game has not been polished to its full potential.

In my nostalgia glasses I remember Uncharted 2 looking much better, but I haven't gone back and actually compared the two, and I have no doubt that when actually put side by side Last of Us will be prettier.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Argh. 1pm. I was hoping this would be grace Chen time since I won't be home from work until 7!

Snowballo

Personally it didn't look as crazy stunning as I wanted it to, but I figure that it is mostly due to me playing a lot of PC stuff these days, and the demo probably being from a early build of the game, so the game has not been polished to its full potential.

In my nostalgia glasses I remember Uncharted 2 looking much better, but I haven't gone back and actually compared the two, and I have no doubt that when actually put side by side Last of Us will be prettier.

Thanks.
I think the same.

Since I'm not a big ND fan (I don't like gameplay but love graphics), I'm a little bit disappointed by this.

RPGCrazied

Exclusive demos, lol. That is like Xbox giving demos first to gold members. Why? It's just a demo. Wouldn't you want as many people as possible to try out your demo? That could get a lot of exposure.

I'm debating whether or not to even play this demo. The full game is so close now. I'll enjoy reading others impressions.

Is it possible people feel this way because this game isn't as colorful, and a lot of it takes place indoors?

The_Monk

Soon

2pNKOOV.jpg

Okay, so the guide leaflet says to press Square at the main menu of GOW to get access/information on the last of us demo. When you do press Square however, nothing happens.

Any one else?

Are you on the main menu screen where it says "The Last of Us early access" or something like that in the bottom corner?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Given that I bought GOW:A on day one and still haven't played it, I should probably get involved in this demo malarkey.

600+ MB patch on GoW:A, might want to get that out of the way now...

So you're talking about the demo itself right and not the whole game?

Untracked

Exclusive demos, lol. That is like Xbox giving demos first to gold members. Why? It's just a demo. Wouldn't you want as many people as possible to try out your demo? That could get a lot of exposure.
It's really stupid.
Last of Us is the first PS3 game I've been interested in since GT5, but I'm not quite sold on it yet and would like to try it out first.

I have zero interest in GOWA... sigh.

OwlyKnees

I doubt they are doing it for the exposure. I'm sure Naughty Dog will do just fine from their standard marketing.

It was more a bonus and a 'please buy me' incentive for God of War: Ascension.

Evolved1

It's really stupid.
Last of Us is the first PS3 game I've been interested in since GT5, but I'm not quite sold on it yet and would like to try it out first.

I have zero interest in GOWA... sigh.

They have made 3 demos for this game... I don't think there's any way in hell a demo isn't dropping on PSN during E3. It would be completely stupid of them to hold it back during that time of heightened interest, just before TLoU launches.

No official word, but... come on. They must be planning it.

If you guys who plan on playing the demo don't mind, can you post your opinions based off the demo without any spoilers? That would just make me more hype.

SmokyDave

600+ MB patch on GoW:A, might want to get that out of the way now...
Cheers chap, I'll start it up as soon as I get in. I'm pretty lucky with PSN speeds, it should be fine.

The demo is coming out for the EU today, isn't it? I'll feel a bit daft if it's US only!

Evolved1

Cheers chap, I'll start it up as soon as I get in. I'm pretty lucky with PSN speeds, it should be fine.

The demo is coming out for the EU today, isn't it? I'll feel a bit daft if it's US only!

Seems to be simultaneous release... 1 PM EST... not sure where you are but I imagine you're pretty used to that conversion already.

Yes, just tested my EU disc not long ago and the countdown was set to end in 4h20m.

SmokyDave

Seems to be simultaneous release... 1 PM EST... not sure where you are but I image you're pretty used to that conversion already.
Yes, just tested my EU disc not long ago and the countdown was set to end in 4h20m.
Nice one fellas. That means I have time to leave work, grab beers, start the GOW patch, give the missus a kiss and feed the cat before downloading the demo. Sweet.

I've been on a blackout since the title was revealed so I honestly have no idea what to expect. I'm quite looking forward to it.

Evolved1

So as far as I know... we still don't have real confirmation what this demo even is. That's hilarious.

Hopefully there are human antagonists... that's where the game really seems to shine.

OwlyKnees

Nice one fellas. That means I have time to leave work, grab beers, start the GOW patch, give the missus a kiss and feed the cat before downloading the demo. Sweet.

I've been on a blackout since the title was revealed so I honestly have no idea what to expect. I'm quite looking forward to it.

Or, tell the misses to feed the cat and start on those beers.

OwlyKnees

So as far as I know... we still don't have real confirmation what this demo even is. That's hilarious.

Hopefully there are human antagonists... that's where the game really seems to shine.

Um...no?

There has been an IGN interview on the demo up for a few days. It's Pittsburgh.

I'm debating whether or not to even play this demo. The full game is so close now. I'll enjoy reading others impressions.

Is it possible people feel this way because this game isn't as colorful, and a lot of it takes place indoors?

I have a theory that this is the case. And since I haven't cracked open my review copy yet, I hope there are more colorful areas that will impress more. But the overall color tone in the demo is a bit on the dark side.

(also do not play the demo if you really want to stay pure. But ND has chosen a good area to demo, close to nothing in story and everything there is has been covered in screenshots and trailers. Plus the gameplay is pretty limited)

So you're talking about the demo itself right and not the whole game?

Demo. Although it was labelled "Beta Demo" when I played it. So it might have changed some, but I doubt it.

Andrew.

Banned
Since no Redboxes in my area carry Ascension, I figure Ill just run out and pick up a used copy for 35 bucks from GS, finish the demo a couple times and then return the game in a few days and get my money back or simply put it towards the Survival Edition. Problem solved and I win.

I heard in some previews that this game is not graphically stunning as for example Uncharted 2 was in its time.

Can you confirm this?

Dude, you really need to ask this, seriously? U2 was 4 years ago, you really expect a PS3 game to blow people away like U2 did at this point in time? Hell, most of the next gen footage that we've seen hasn't blown people away, let alone a PS3 game.

Anyway, Ascension is great and can be bought at half price, definitely worth it imo.

I think there will be a demo for non Ascension owners by next Tuesday when the game is nearly out to give last minute people a chance to try out the game.

Evolved1

Um...no?

There has been an IGN interview on the demo up for a few days. It's Pittsburgh.

If this demo is the same thing that Bruce live-demo'd for the IGN thing, and maybe that's what it is (I was under the impression the GoW:A demo was going to be its own thing), but when I watched that, it was a little confusing. The way IGN framed the segment/question to be about the demo they were doing at the event, and not specifically about the GoW:A demo.

Maybe they are they same thing, but it wasn't really clearly stated.

Top Bottom