• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

Is there something you're expecting other than the upgrades they've already announced?

No, but i`m just wondering why they skipped their plans to show us the upgrades and "next gen evolution" of this game, as announced on the blog.

My theory is that they wanted to go with 30 frames and a big upgrade, but after all those 60 frames demands changed their plans and went with 60 frames and a small upgrade (60 frames demands much more ressources).

And 60 frames and a small upgrade as you selling point is tough to demonstrate on screens or youtube vids.

todd360

You got to admit, this isn't the stupidest marketing strategy. Pre-order numbers are holding, and people are salivating for that first screen shot

I think that has more to do with the game already being confirmed 10/10 would buy again material. Its not like we don't know if it will be good or not.

No, but i`m just wondering why they skipped their plans to show us the upgrades and "next gen evolution" of this game, as announced on the blog.

My theory is that they wanted to go with 30 frames and a big upgrade, but after all those 60 frames demands changed their plans and went with 60 frames and a small upgrade (60 frames demands much more ressources).

And 60 frames and a small upgrade as you selling point is tough to demonstrate on screens or youtube vids.

You think a studio as big as ND with this much money on the line made a massive change like that based on what a relatively small audience on the internet wanted?

Vashetti

Banned

YouTube now supports 60fps.

I think that has more to do with the game already being confirmed 10/10 would buy again material. Its not like we don't know if it will be good or not.

I'm not saying the quiet approach is causing the strong pre-order numbers, I'm saying the numbers are weathering that possible storm and creating intrigue instead.

chaosaeon

Hey you know what would be cool is if they added the Mirror World Filter from Uncharted 1 and 2. For those that don't know, it flipped the entire game world horizontally so that all the environments were mirrored versions. Sounds simple but it really felt almost like a fresh look and experience all over again. No bonuses like that in UC3 was a real shame.

Bundy

Banned
4wKnnki.png

60fps is the only gameplay improvement The Last of Us needed. Anything else is gravy.

On the PS3 TLOU played very smooth at 30fps, just like Naughty Dog's past Uncharted games. Imo 30fps frame rate has never interrupted the core gameplay in Naughty Dog's games on the PS3, it's first person shooters/racing/sports/vsfighting that need 60fps. I am eagerly looking forward to seeing how the game plays in 60fps though and how much of a visual difference it is from the it's PS3 version! July 29th, hurry up please!

On the PS3 TLOU played very smooth at 30fps, just like Naughty Dog's past Uncharted games. Imo 30fps frame rate has never interrupted the core gameplay in Naughty Dog's games on the PS3, may be because third person genre isn't all about accuracy in aiming while it's first person shooters/racing/sports/vsfighting that need 60fps. I am eagerly looking forward to seeing how the game plays in 60fps though and how much of a visual difference it is from the it's PS3 version! July 29th, hurry up please!

No it didn't. Listen, I love this game, but it was almost never at a smooth 30FPS.

Going outside it would drop into the mid twenties, and during combat it would be around there as well.

It was never chugging, it was manageable, but it was no where near a constant 30 frames.

antitrop

On the PS3 TLOU played very smooth at 30fps, just like Naughty Dog's past Uncharted games. Imo 30fps frame rate has never interrupted the core gameplay in Naughty Dog's games on the PS3, it's first person shooters/racing/sports/vsfighting that need 60fps. I am eagerly looking forward to seeing how the game plays in 60fps though and how much of a visual difference it is from the it's PS3 version! July 29th, hurry up please!

This is Digital Foundry's framerate graphs of TLoU:

- Traversal framerate
- Combat framerate

It rarely holds its targeted 30fps. As I said in the other thread, I fully expect TLoU:R to hold its target 60 better than TLoU held its target 30.

Remember YouTube links are automatically embedded with the video title showing in mobile view.

edit: nm, the text you've linked replaces the video title.

lol, phew, scared the shit out of me. Wouldn't want to ruin that for anyone.

No it didn't. Listen, I love this game, but it was almost never at a smooth 30FPS.

Going outside it would drop into the mid twenties, and during combat it would be around there as well.

It was never chugging, it was manageable, but it was no where near a constant 30 frames.

This is Digital Foundry's framerate graphs of TLoU:

- Traversal framerate
- Combat framerate

It rarely holds its targeted 30fps. As I said in the other thread, I fully expect TLoU:R to hold its target 60 better than TLoU held its target 30.

lol, phew, scared the shit out of me. Wouldn't want to ruin that for anyone.

Wow, not sure why I couldn't catch the frame rate drops when I played it, guess I was too engrossed with the game!

leng jai

Wish people would stop saying this. Ridiculously inaccurate.

i've watched every scene from this game so fucking much that they are really cool scenes but doesn't affect me anymore, but i look forward to the following during gameplay:

i'm not gonna handle
walking through the suburbs with these two and talking about mythological ice creams.

i'm not gonna handle e
scaping pittsburgh from a tank and then landing on a beach where i found a boat and while the sun is about to rise (best scene in the game in my opinion, reminded me so much of half life 2)

i'm not gonna handle
walking through bill's section without having the framerate dip

i'm not gonna handle
galloping with my horse in the fall and winter section without too much pop in(i hope there isn't much pop in)

there's so many scenes in this game that i like to play through. The first hour or so of the game are worse in replays (understandable so), but after this it's a game that i don't want to stop after that. it's a joy to play through, the sound of getting items to craft is satisfying, crafting a molotov with the sound of a bottle being filled with water is a 10/10 feeling, having the possibility of changing shoulder aiming so fast that if you press L2 too many times, the blur makes joel funny. Entering houses that you would totally live before the apocalypse while the ost's guitars swirls around is great.

Top Bottom