• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 Direct - 2013.8.9 - 07:00 PDT / 16:00 CEST / 23:00 JST

In a perfect world this would be the kind of quality that would be rewarded with Skyrim level sales. Entire GDC panels would be dedicated to talking about how Kamiya always manages to pull off the most amazing shit every single game he directs.

This is everything a videogame should be in my opinion. Other devs better step it up!

I definitely agree with this. Kamiya's games are all really amazing.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Still, this is looking like the best game on the Wii U by far.
prior to this direct I would have questioned this statement. Post-Direct I would say it looks like it will easily head towards the top. We'll have to see how Rayman turns out, but NSMBU, NSLU, ZombiU... and TW101.. Lego City is amazing as well, but not quite in the same vicinity as these.

HyperHip

I feel like this game has the potential to do those type of sales, but Nintendo needs to advertise harder!! The Kids Meal toys, tv show, all of that are wonderful ideas. At the very least a big internet and TV ad campaign would certainly help. Skyrim had ads plastered all over the place, which was certainly a huge part of why it was so successful.

Dude W101 toys/cartoon would be hype as fuck, dammit Nintendo!

Hypron

I feel like this game has the potential to do those type of sales, but Nintendo needs to advertise harder!! The Kids Meal toys, tv show, all of that are wonderful ideas. At the very least a big internet and TV ad campaign would certainly help. Skyrim had ads plastered all over the place, which was certainly a huge part of why it was so successful.

There aren't enough Wii-U's out there for the game to do that type of sales :p But I agree it could see pretty well. I'm sure kids would absolutely love the game.

Luigiv

Was that supposed to a joke because people say Nintendo never gives release dates (which is true)?

Actually I think the joke was that Kamiya was parodying a normal direct, with multiple games, in which Iwata typically gives the release date for each game after each trailer.

NYCrooner

There aren't enough Wii-U's out there for the game to do that type of sales :p But I agree it could see pretty well. I'm sure kids would absolutely love the game.

If it's a must have game, there are enough Wii U's out there to make this a million seller.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I am so hyped up for this. I feel like a kid watching Saturday Morning Cartoons with a bowl of cereal. I NEED THIS GAME!

image.php

Kouriozan

Actually I think the joke was that Kamiya was parodying a normal direct, with multiple games, in which Iwata typically gives the release date for each game after each trailer.

True.
He also said he would talk about more about it in the future. Iwata often say that.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So I guess this is what Kamiya meant by the first playthrough will be like a tutorial.

You slowly get the powers and unlock moves in the first playthrough, then with the ability to chain unite morphs the game really opens up at the start of the second.

God that shit is so game changing.

JoeFenix

Realistically it doesn't have anywhere near that type of sales potential, it's a fairly demanding action game and that market is more limited. I was just going into hype hyperdrive hyperbole edition mode!

It does have alot of appeal though and this Nintendo Direct was a good marketing move. I feel like people never really understood what the game was but this was a very informative show. I'm just so excited right now, Kamiya always delivers!

prior to this direct I would have questioned this statement. Post-Direct I would say it looks like it will easily head towards the top. We'll have to see how Rayman turns out, but NSMBU, NSLU, ZombiU... and TW101.. Lego City is amazing as well, but not quite in the same vicinity as these.

You forgot Pikmin, you son of a bitch.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This did sell me on the game. Shame I can't say "Day One!!!" as I am on holiday August the 23rd.

But I'll still get it before the US of A.

Einbroch

Banned
Get out of here, this is a Kamiya game and I've played enough action games to know a good one when I see one.

Just watching the Nintendo Direct and listening to the audio of the trailer I know this is going to be a classic. Sometimes you can just tell.

Cheesy is good by the way, this game has STYLE out the ass and you know it's going to have even more substance. Pure Platinum!
I personally think that this is going to be more of a balanced game than a typical Platinum game. Looks like they're pouring more resources into the cinematics and story than the gameplay. That's not to say it isn't a deep or challenging game. There is huge potential in the comboing system, but it doesn't seem like Bayonetta gameplay. Seems more user friendly.

Again, not a bad thing, and actually something I appreciate. Bayo's combat, while deep, confused me, and I ended up button mashing a lot. The forms in this game appeal to me more than the insane combos of something like Bayo.

All I'm saying is that people who are taking to the streets promoting a game they've never played, claiming it to be an amazing game are a little silly. It's like people going to the streets and proclaiming Elysium an amazing movie because they liked District 9.

Calamari41

41 > 38
NSMBU, ZombiU, Lego City, Monster Hunter 3U, Pikmin 3, W101, Wind Waker, Sonic Lost World, DKC, Mario 3D World. There is no excuse for not owning a Wii U by the end of this year.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Nintendo owns the ip. Get a wii u

Cool. I plan on getting one. Reason I asked is because I don't want to purchase the game and then have them come out with The Wonderful 101+ or something on another platform later (think Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden Sigma). One of the reasons I no longer buy the first iteration of any game Capcom puts out.

Serra

Nice footage! Im gonna pick up a WiiU to play Bayo 2 anyway so I might buy it when this comes out.

Skyrim had a below average story and the characters were boring, and it didn't prevent it from winning a bazillion awards.

Also the combat was really bad, it was unplayable on PS3, I could list a dozen other huge flaws in Skyrim. And like you said it got dozens upon dozens of awards.

Personally I think its a decent game on the PC with a gazillion mods installed to fix everything but nowhere near award status.

JoV

This game is giving me the feeling that SNES games used to give me back in the day.

This is going to be amazing.

Wow, this. The art style is just incredibly clean and attractive.

Not going to touch the demo cause I want the full experience on release.

Air

Banned
Cool. I plan on getting one. Reason I asked is because I don't want to purchase the game and then have them come out with The Wonderful 101+ or something on another platform later (think Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden Sigma). One of the reasons I no longer buy the first iteration of any game Capcom puts out.

You have nothing to fear :D

CrisKre

No pikmin 3? Im disappointed borghe. Shit is AMAZING!

JoeFenix

I personally think that this is going to be more of a balanced game than a typical Platinum game. Looks like they're pouring more resources into the cinematics and story than the gameplay. That's not to say it isn't a deep or challenging game. There is huge potential in the comboing system, but it doesn't seem like Bayonetta gameplay. Seems more user friendly.

Again, not a bad thing, and actually something I appreciate. Bayo's combat, while deep, confused me, and I ended up button mashing a lot. The forms in this game appeal to me more than the insane combos of something like Bayo.

All I'm saying is that people who are taking to the streets promoting a game they've never played, claiming it to be an amazing game are a little silly. It's like people going to the streets and proclaiming Elysium an amazing movie because they liked District 9.

I get what you're saying and I would normally agree but this is a different situation.

Kamiya has never disappointed and he always overdelivers. And I highly doubt that their focus was more on cinematics than gameplay, it's probably absolutely loaded with gameplay and mini scenarios. It's a Kamiya game basically!

There really is no chance of this game not delivering, literally none.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Having descended from hype levels, I can say in all sobriety now that the bar for flash games has been raised real high this time,

Top Bottom