• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted (PS4) announced, developed by protozoans and Druckmann's evil karma

Arsenic

Then, you clearly didn't listen to Naughty Dog's promotion of it and just looked at the pictures. They made it VERY clear that it was going to be a cinematic sequence of Drake alone in the desert. Don't get me wrong, I love the train, but ultimately it is just gameplay. The desert is so much more. It was symbolism, it was everything Drake had faced until that point, and it was everything Drake had yet to face. The Desert represented Marlowe and Talbott and even Elena to an extent. It was the weight of the destiny he placed upon himself by calling himself a Drake as well as the weight of who he was before Sir. Francis became his life. If you let go of the thumbstick, you would notice that he falls to his knees. Even that is symbolic that Drake has reached his limit, and you, the player are his motivation. You aren't just watching Drake go through this ordeal. You are his guide, you are his motivation, you are with him. A cutscene would not have done that sequence justice, nor would an open-world map to explore. All the Video Game tropes were put away to hammer home the symbolic nature of the desert. And free-roam, shootouts, and even making it a cutscene would have not done that sequence justice.

That's fine. But I wasn't following the promotions like I did in the previous games (or any game for that matter) because I realized a lot of the gameplay gets spoiled in them. I decided to shut myself out of the media hype for U3, but not before the first promo shots and teaser.

I wasn't just trying to speak for myself only though. I enjoyed U3 and don't understand most of the backlash for it on this forum. My problem was that desert place and mostly the non-boss fight at the end when there was such a promise for a better one in the middle of the game (remember the chase?).

Speaking of which, ND is horrible at boss fights. They need to recruit some of the Koji-Pro guys.

Jac

Neo Member
Exactly. And GTTV has a knack for getting all these juicy "announcements" but usually they never contain actual footage or any real information about the game. All sizzle and no steak. I don't even get hyped for those events anymore.

I enjoy well-made teasers, and this one was pretty great. There was a lot to sink my teeth into and start speculating about.

A little disappointed that ND isn't starting a new console generation with a new IP as they've done up to this point with all three previous generations.

Sign of the times? People expect Uncharted 4 so ND is required to make one?

If they're only appealing to existing fans, why not make a grand HD sequel to Jak & Daxter? That would sell me on the PS4 more than UC4 will.

If they were following the same formula that they have in the past then TLoU would've been a one-off kart racer based on Uncharted. Seriously, they just released a new IP just five months ago. It's not like they have some aversion to new IP's now. They gave the people that want new IP's one, and it turned out to be one of the most praised new IP's of the generation.

The sad thing is that when they inevitably announce the sequel to TLoU, the same complaints will be leveled against them. No other developer in this industry is expected to put out new IP's like some expect ND. They shouldn't keep Uncharted according to some people and they TLoU should never have a sequel.

From a gameplay perspective it's always been like that. The only worthwhile parts of those games are all the cinematic element!

Uncharted 2 and 3 have great shooting mechanics, and a fun mixture between stealth and shooting, along with a great pacing. U1 gameplay really was below average imo, but U2 took the franchise into another level.

Saying its shit is just nonsense. Internet hyperbole at its finest.

Jac

Neo Member
That's fine. But I wasn't following the promotions like I did in the previous games (or any game for that matter) because I realized a lot of the gameplay gets spoiled in them. I decided to shut myself out of the media hype for U3, but not before the first promo shots and teaser.

I wasn't just trying to speak for myself only though. I enjoyed U3 and don't understand most of the backlash for it on this forum. My problem was that desert place and mostly the non-boss fight at the end when there was such a promise for a better one in the middle of the game (remember the chase?).

Speaking of which, ND is horrible at boss fights. They need to recruit some of the Koji-Pro guys.

With the exception of games like Mario and Zelda, I am not a fan of boss fights all together. UC3 was one of the few I really enjoyed because I wan't fighting some overpowered brute who can take an entire clip to the face and just shrug it off. Nor did it feel like a gimmicky puzzle against a robot rather than a human. It felt like a brawl against another human being. No gimmick, just a fight.

a916

A little disappointed that ND isn't starting a new console generation with a new IP as they've done up to this point with all three previous generations.

Sign of the times? People expect Uncharted 4 so ND is required to make one?

If they're only appealing to existing fans, why not make a grand HD sequel to Jak & Daxter? That would sell me on the PS4 more than UC4 will.

No one tells ND what to do... they do what they do...

IvorB

Uncharted 2 and 3 have great shooting mechanics, and a fun mixture between stealth and shooting, along with a great pacing. U1 gameplay really was below average imo, but U2 took the franchise into another level.

I wouldn't bother. This argument just goes round and round...

Jac

Neo Member

Gunplay is the weak point of Uncharted, but the series isn't about the gunplay. Frankly, I am tired of guns in general, though.

Hmm... maybe that's why I have been gravitating to the Indie market as of late.

Gunplay is the weak point of Uncharted, but the series isn't about the gunplay.

At least (at least) 80 percent of the entire series is about shooting. The inputs on the controller all deal with combat except for start/select, the joysticks (half the time) and the X button (though it's used during combat frequently).

This series is a shooter series. Whether it should be is another matter, but it's a series about shooting. It has a certain pulp-adventure flair to it, but it's a shooter.

Spinluck

After watching the teaser, I'm convinced it's definitely someone coming back to fuck up Drake and/or Sully. There is a chance it could be directed towards Sir Francis himself, either way, I'm on board. Would be nice to play as both Nate and Sir Francis throughout the story.

EDIT: The same tired ass Uncharted arguments. lol

Gunplay is the weak point of Uncharted, but the series isn't about the gunplay. Frankly, I am tired of guns in general, though.

Hmm... maybe that's why I have been gravitating to the Indie market as of late.

I don't think it's weak at all. For me, the Uncharted series has offered some of the most dynamic, involving and memorable gunfights of the gen. Fending off enemies while in a collapsing building, a sinking ship or whilst taking on the world's most try-hard tank - these are moments of pure gaming exhilaration.

i hope it ignores everything about uncharted 3 and considers itself a continuation from 2

because 3 was a shameless mistake, 3 sucked balls in hell, fuck uncharted 3

shit was a nightmare

you know what go ahead and even cancel the next installment for now and just having naughty dog write an apology letter

Frankly, I haven't cared for the combat in Uncharted since Drake's Fortune. The cinematic qualities are UC3's greatest strength. They allowed for greater immersion into the story and those characters. I get enough "Skill Check" from my other games, I go to Uncharted for a truly immersive experience, and UC3 met that desire in every way. Its not about the gunplay, its about the adventure. Frankly, I look forward to an Uncharted that throws away the guns in favor of even greater narrative. UC3's greatest weakness was the combat arenas, not because the gunplay was lackluster, but because it invariably halted the forward momentum.

press forward for cutscene (or unskippable walk and talk)

true immersion

uc3 is better experienced as a youtube vid than a game

"Skill Check?" Hell, people bitch all the time about Uncharted 3 being too hard...

Well when the first half of the game is asking absolutely nothing of the player, when the game asks anything from you it seems like a difficulty spike to some people!

I don't think it's weak at all. For me, the Uncharted series has offered some of the most dynamic, involving and memorable gunfights of the gen. Fending off enemies while in a collapsing building, a sinking ship or whilst taking on the world's most try-hard tank - these are moments of pure gaming exhilaration.

I guess these parts were pretty, but it was still a pop a mole shooter even with all the window dressing.

Alienous

Listening to the narration I'll be amazed if he isn't - the dialogue is surely referring directly to elements revealed in U3 regarding him.

I don't hear it. Other than "lies", there isn't much relating to Nate at all.

It could be someone Sully screwed over. Drake's what, 29? So, unless he screwed over someone considerably older than him at the time (and the voice doesn't seem to suggest that), then he would have screwed over a person with a similar age to himself (like Flynn or Raja) when he was 14 (assuming the events that screwed the guy over,15 years prior to his dialogue, didn't take place between the Uncharted games). But Nate is 15 when he meets Sully, and gets involved in all the treasure hunting shit.

LOL. I can appreciate that, even if I hate you for it!

@Acquiescence

I think I'd like to see what Naughty Dog could do to bring their superb writing and story to a more freeform.. Or more specifically open world gameplay.

I'd rather ND adopt a more open-linear approach in their next Uncharted, a la TLoU. The series is too focused on grand set-pieces and globe-trotting adventure to make a solitary open-world setting work.

I guess these parts were pretty, but it was still a pop a mole shooter even with all the window dressing.

You can undermine so many shooters by saying that. The Uncharted games are only as "pop a mole" as you play them.

I'd rather ND adopt a more open-linear approach in their next Uncharted, a la TLoU. The series is too focused on grand set-pieces and globe-trotting adventure to make a solitary open-world setting work.

You can undermine so many shooters by saying that. The Uncharted games are only as "pop a mole" as you play them.

Solitary setting worked in the first one. You can still have new and interesting areas in an open world game. And you can still have set pieces in an open world game.

Jac

Neo Member
press forward for cutscene (or unskippable walk and talk)

true immersion

uc3 is better experienced as a youtube vid than a game

Well when the first half of the game is asking absolutely nothing of the player, when the game asks anything from you it seems like a difficulty spike to some people!

You can rip on it mechanically all day if you want to. It truly shows how shallowly you looked at that experience.

I hope to God Naughty Dog isn't taking you and those like you seriously. I'd hate to see Uncharted regress to a mindless shooter like you clearly desire.

EGM1966

It could be someone Sully screwed over. Drake's what, 29? So, unless he screwed over someone considerably older than him at the time (and the voice doesn't seem to suggest that), then he would have screwed over a person with a similar age to himself (like Flynn or Raja) when he was 14 (assuming the events that screwed the guy over,15 years prior to his dialogue, didn't take place between the Uncharted games). But Nate is 15 when he meets Sully, and gets involved in all the treasure hunting shit.

Maybe I need to listen again but I could have sworn it referred to the question mark raised in U3 about Nathan's name. Hadn't thought about it in terms of years though so if that doesn't match up then it simply can't be and I'm just making the association myself - I'd peg Nathan as older than 29 as of U3 though unless he has an official cannon age I'm not aware of.

With U3 the villain was a character from Nathan and Sully's past but most specifically from Sully's - would they have another villain from Sully's past? Guess they could.

Will re-watch and google if Nate does have a defined age.

EDIT: Google gives conflicting reports of age but most consistent seems to be a suggested DOB of 1980 and the following notes:

During Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, Nate claims that he was in prison at the age of fifteen, within a year of meeting Victor Sullivan. Sully later claims that he was at least forty when first he met Nate, and that he is twenty-five years older than Nate. This places Nate's age at the time at fifteen years old, and at thirty-five years old during the rest of the game.

So I'm guessing Nate is supposed to be early to mid-thirties in U3 (he looks like it too - definitely older than 29 at least as rendered) and old enough to have someone come out of the woodwork from his past just when he was a young man and presumably starting to become more than just Sully's protege.

So yeah I'm sure this is someone from Nate's past when he was a young man (18 to 20 range going by what I can find on his probable age) - someone with a 15 year long grudge.

Jac

Neo Member
Do we truly live in an age where people have such short attention spans that they can't even so much as catch a glimpse of the immense symbolism of Uncharted 3's desert sequence?

Jac

Neo Member

Drake was already involved in it before he met sully, hence why he was also trying to rob the museum. Granted, he was a complete amateur until Sully came along.

You can rip on it mechanically all day if you want to. It truly shows how shallowly you looked at that experience.

I hope to God Naughty Dog isn't taking you and those like you seriously. I'd hate to see Uncharted regress to a mindless shooter like you clearly desire.

I don't believe I was asking for a mindless shooter? I would at least hope it is at least a mildly interesting TPS like UC2 was. I mean I can't expect something like Vanquish out of Naughty Dog but some quality control would be appreciated for the action game they are making.

Edit: Uncharted 3 is a pretty mindless game overall honestly. There is very little of interest to glean from it. If your the type of person who finds the desert scene intellectually interesting (or the young drake parts) than I have nothing more to say really.

Solitary setting worked in the first one. You can still have new and interesting areas in an open world game. And you can still have set pieces in an open world game.

I think Drake's Fortune is a lesser effort than the other two games precisely because of its solitary setting. It's still good, but compared to 2/3 but it feels constrained, limited, small in scale. Like a warm up before the main event.

KingK

Just saw the teaser. I wish it had actually, you know, shown some shit, but I guess they're waiting for the VGA's for a proper trailer?

I see there's still plenty of irrational hyperbolic hatred directed towards UC3 on neogaf though. I still cannot comprehend how someone who likes Uncharted 2 can at the same time think UC3 is utter shit. I mean, I get if you like UC2 more. I think it's probably a better game overall, but not by much. The pacing in UC2 is definitely superior (on the other hand UC3 had much better "puzzles" and has certain sections I think are better than anything in UC2), and one could argue the story is better (though I actually preferred UC3's story). But the two games are so similar that "UC2 is one of the greatest games of the generation" and "UC3 is an absolutely shit game" seem like contradictory opinions. I just don't understand how one person can hold both of those views.

edit: I also still don't get the "shit gunplay" complaints. Compared to what, exactly? I've played a fair amount of TPS games, especially Uncharted and Gears, and I honestly don't see where this complaint is coming from either.

Melee/Sword focused gameplay.

Did they not have guns way back then?

They did, sure, but they were all muskets, at best. Ever watch a movie with Civil or Revolutionary War gun combat? It doesn't really lend itself to the type of gunplay seen as a staple of the Uncharted series.

FYI: http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/technique/gun-timeline/

Sure, they could go with melee/sword based combat, but it would still be a radical departure from what a majority of people consider to be the best in the series. :)

Alienous

Drake was already involved in it before he met sully, hence why he was also trying to rob the museum. Granted, he was a complete amateur until Sully came along.

Yeah, by that I meant he isn't in anything organized.

We don't know when this Uncharted takes place, but the previous games in the main series took place in the years that the game was released in (2007, 2009, 2011). Assuming that Uncharted '4' takes place in, say, 2014, the dialogue would just barely make sense in relation to Drake. Drake would be approximately 32 years old in 2014, and 17 at the time of this betrayal.

But, then again, it might all take place in a different time entirely, with different characters.

DieH@rd

Banned
I don't think I like the idea of playing as Francis Drake.

Francis Drake was dead for 100 years when Henry Every [pirate referenced on the map] managed to snatch his ~270 tons of treasure from Indian Tresure fleet.

We wont see Francis Drake for sure, but... maybe we will see his descendants.

Jac

Neo Member
They did, sure, but they were all muskets, at best. Ever watch a movie with Civil or Revolutionary War gun combat? It doesn't really lend itself to the type of gunplay seen as a staple of the Uncharted series.

FYI: http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/technique/gun-timeline/

Sure, they could go with melee/sword based combat, but it would still be a radical departure from what a majority of people consider to be the best in the series. :)

And probably too Assassin's Creed, frankly. Not that AC is bad, I just doubt people want Uncharted to go that route.

Mman235

The fucked up combat design makes Uncharted 3's difficulty curve really odd; if you don't know where the power-weapons and convenient hiding/camping spots are (where enemies don't spawn behind you) you get your ass kicked on the higher settings. If you do know where they are the fights pose almost no challenge at all, and there's pretty much no in-between outside a couple of parts. I actually found Crushing much easier than my first playthrough on Hard because of it and I was expecting Crushing to be ridiculous after my experience in the first playthrough.

Jac

Neo Member
Yeah, by that I meant he isn't in anything organized.

We don't know when this Uncharted takes place, but the previous games in the main series took place in the years that the game was released in (2007, 2009, 2011). Assuming that Uncharted '4' takes place in, say, 2014, the dialogue would just barely make sense in relation to Drake. Drake would be approximately 32 years old in 2014, and 17 at the time of this betrayal.

But, then again, it might all take place in a different time entirely, with different characters.

I doubt it. We already know Nolan North is involved because he almost let Uncharted 4 slip a while back. I think its someone from Sully's past, or this takes place in 2020 or something like that.

WinFonda

I think this is a new character with a vendetta against Drake, the details of which have only been vaguely alluded to or referenced in past games.

This sounds very personal, so my guess is it's someone Drake thought of as a brother or a close friend. Drake believed this person to have died or remain imprisoned, only he didn't and now he wants revenge and whatever Drake "owes" him.

From the trailer dialog, it sounds like perhaps Drake shared some prison time with this character, "Some chains can't be broken" (double entendre referring to their personal bond) "I lost 15 years" "You left me rotting in that hellhole and never looked back" sounds like Drake had an opportunity to escape without him and took it. Perhaps this is also what Drake referenced in Uncharted 1 to Elena...

Nathan Drake: Yeah, so unless you wanna end up in a Panamanian jail we should probably handle this ourselves.

Elena Fisher: Wh- What's worse?

Nathan Drake: You obviously haven't been in a Panamanian jail.

The 15 year timeline would make sense. Drake is probably about 35 in Uncharted 4. If this happened before Uncharted 1, Drake could be 18-20 at the time in panamanian prison.

Just my two cents.

Nathan Drake, 29? Are you serious? He's at least 37, if not older.

Bandit1

I think Drake will be about 38 if the game releases/takes place in 2014. I think that when you do the young Drake part of Uncharted 3 that it says "20 years earlier" I could be wrong... But if I'm right he's probably 15 there, + 20 = 35 and add 3 years since the third game. So if he's 38, fifteen years ago would have made him 23. That would make him a young treasure hunter, out for riches, and relatively immature. Just the kind of guy that would leave someone rotting in a hell hole so he wouldn't have to split a take.

If they were following the same formula that they have in the past then TLoU would've been a one-off kart racer based on Uncharted. Seriously, they just released a new IP just five months ago. It's not like they have some aversion to new IP's now. They gave the people that want new IP's one, and it turned out to be one of the most praised new IP's of the generation.

The sad thing is that when they inevitably announce the sequel to TLoU, the same complaints will be leveled against them. No other developer in this industry is expected to put out new IP's like some expect ND. They shouldn't keep Uncharted according to some people and they TLoU should never have a sequel.

TLOU wasn't for next-gen, though. It was current-gen. Which is fine. TLOU is an exceptional game. I was merely pointing out that ND has broken from their tradition of reigning in a new hardware generation with a new IP. UC4 will be the first time they've made a next-gen sequel for a current-gen game. In the past they've always left their IPs in the generation they started in. Which I believe signals that they won't be making a new IP for some time. It seems a shame. I would typically expect a new Sony console to have a flagship new IP from Naughty Dog within the first year on the market.

Top Bottom