• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump urged Mexican president to end his public defiance on border wall

chadskin

President Trump made building a wall along the southern U.S. border and forcing Mexico to pay for it core pledges of his campaign.

But in his first White House call with Mexico's president, Trump described his vow to charge Mexico as a growing political problem, pressuring the Mexican leader to stop saying publicly that his government would never pay.

”You cannot say that to the press," Trump said repeatedly, according to a transcript of the Jan. 27 call obtained by The Washington Post. Trump made clear that he realized the funding would have to come from other sources but threatened to cut off contact if Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto continued to make defiant statements.

The funding ”will work out in the formula somehow," Trump said, adding later that ”it will come out in the wash, and that is okay." But ”if you are going to say that Mexico is not going to pay for the wall, then I do not want to meet with you guys anymore because I cannot live with that."

He described the wall as ”the least important thing we are talking about, but politically this might be the most important."

The heated exchange came during back-to-back days of calls that Trump held with foreign leaders a week after taking office. The Post has obtained transcripts of Trump's talks with Peña Nieto and Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

Produced by White House staff, the documents provide an unfiltered glimpse of Trump's approach to the diplomatic aspect of his job, subjecting even a close neighbor and long-standing ally to streams of threats and invective as if aimed at U.S. adversaries.

The Jan. 28 call with Turnbull became particularly acrimonious. ”I have had it," Trump erupted after the two argued about an agreement on refugees. ”I have been making these calls all day, and this is the most unpleasant call all day."

Before ending the call, Trump noted that at least one of his conversations that day had gone far more smoothly. ”Putin was a pleasant call," Trump said, referring to Russian President Vladi­mir Putin. ”This is ridiculous."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2c0a4e-7610-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html

Full transcripts: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/politics/australia-mexico-transcripts/

Just read the article. It is embarrassing how big of a whiny baby we have as President. Such a great negotiator. 😒

Slayven

trump:" You don't have to pay for the wall, you just can't say you won't pay for the wall"

Is this what the nazis call being a Cuck?

JettDash

Maybe you shouldn't have promised your retard followers that you were going to make Mexico pay for the wall you worthless piece of shit.

Lowmelody

Before ending the call, Trump noted that at least one of his conversations that day had gone far more smoothly. ”Putin was a pleasant call," Trump said, referring to Russian President Vladi­mir Putin. ”This is ridiculous."

Talk you off what, Pop pop?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
"Putin was a pleasant call." Jesus Christ, what's wrong with him lol

Gattsu25

Banned
Both from his call with Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull:

Regarding refugees
X3KVzkc.jpg

And the end of the short call
nJKzNsg.jpg

Look we know you aren't going to pay for it, but you have to stop saying it because I really need a political win on this.

Get fucked you turd.

Maybe you shouldn't have promised your retard supporters that you were going to make Mexico pay for the wall you worthless piece of shit.

Right? Neito should use this and come out big with how Trump literally begged for pay and good press for his stupid wall. It needs to keep on being made clear, just like with the truth behind the trans military ban, that Trump outright lied and will strip money from his very supporters to build their wall.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Anyone still in shock over the election results? This feels like a nightmarish fever dream.

I feel like I still haven't managed to process that this is actually happening.

Guamu

The funding “will work out in the formula somehow,” Trump said, adding later that “it will come out in the wash, and that is okay.” But “if you are going to say that Mexico is not going to pay for the wall, then I do not want to meet with you guys anymore because I cannot live with that.”

And at the same time Peña Nieto was (is) seen in Mexico as a wimp for not being clearly and publicly defiant enough...

Johndoey

Banned
Trump also threatened to impose tariffs of up to 35 percent on imports from Mexico, saying that as president he had been given “tremendous taxation powers for trade,” even though tariffs are mainly the province of Congress.
Despite the friction, Trump at other moments sought to sweet-talk Peña Nieto, telling him that “you and I will always be friends,” and that if they could resolve their disputes over the border and trade, “We will almost become the fathers of our country — almost, not quite, okay?”
Christ Almighty.

Another quote from Trump from the article: “I won New Hampshire because New Hampshire is a drug-infested den.”
(He actually lost New Hampshire)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The way he talks about the refugees is disgusting.

“I hate taking these people,” Trump said. “I guarantee you they are bad. That is why they are in prison right now. They are not going to be wonderful people who go on to work for the local milk people” — an apparent reference to U.S. dairy farms.

Trump only became angrier, saying the refugees could “become the Boston bomber in five years.”

The funding “will work out in the formula somehow,” Trump said, adding later that “it will come out in the wash, and that is okay.” But “if you are going to say that Mexico is not going to pay for the wall, then I do not want to meet with you guys anymore because I cannot live with that.”

fWx327.gif

Zolo

Before ending the call, Trump noted that at least one of his conversations that day had gone far more smoothly. “Putin was a pleasant call,” Trump said, referring to Russian President Vladi­mir Putin. “This is ridiculous.”

Jesus Trump. Why don't you marry the dude?

The way he talks about the refugees is disgusting.

Not only is it disgusting it is factually incorrect, not that he cares or knows any different. Refugees go through the strictest background checks, have to continually give updates on their status, and generally become exceptionally productive given the immense support network that is in place.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Art of the Deal!
It becomes clearer and clearer that Trump's "skills" only apply when subjugating poor people and not in politics.

I remember these phones calls were big news back in January, but maaaaan what a poor showing.

WTF I thought Kelley Succeeded on talking him off the cliff

These calls are from January.

Wait did Trump literally buy into the whole "most powerful man in the world" thing about the POTUS and think he could literally tell other world leaders what to do and they'd do it like employee's?

Christs alive each day I am constantly more surprised at how a man seems like he'd have trouble running a McDonald's franchise runs a country and has a fanatical fan base because he doesn't pull punches!

I always wondered how Hitler indoctrinated a country so easily, and it seem relatively obvious now, and I'd argue hitler was more charismatic and less openly crazy until he had mass appeal

jmdajr

Guess Trump forgets once you work for the government a lot of his day to day stuff is available for public viewing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anyone still in shock over the election results? This feels like a nightmarish fever dream.

I feel like I still haven't managed to process that this is actually happening.

Sharknado 3 recontextualized and refreshed it for me yesterday. A genuine psychic shock.

kess

No wonder Kelly and Mattis decided this guy was a total dope early on and agreed to babysit him in case he flies off the handle.

Top Bottom