• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Trump's call to Mexican president was done in humiliating and threatening way

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-mexico-care-bad-hombres-us-might-231304076--politics.html

C3netl_VcAAUCJx.jpg

Threatened to invade Mexico. That didn't take long.

mavo

Banned
On one hand, it is Aristegui. I know she has great sources – just remember the whole Casa Blanca affair – so I can give her the benefit of the doubt, but she has quite the leftist and anti-PRI tendency. I wonder if one of her colaborators would resist the allure of an embellishments of the facts in order to make EPN look like a fool. At least the AMLO/Morena public would eat such story with gusto.

On the other side it's Trump (and Bannon). Ever since the launching of his campaign he has shown that this kind of warnings are OK with him. An actual invasion would be insane, but if the GOP keeps their lack of spine towards him it wouldn't surprise me to see him trying restrictions in both trade and legal demographic movement in the future.

Of course they would deny such reaction towards the POTUS even if it was true. It would make Peña Nieto even more of a joke in the international context, and the entire country would look weak. And it would give more ammo to the nationalist movements inside Mexico.

The casa blanca affair (and Peña's thesis) was an investigation done with public record, they basically knew which house was because Angelica showed it on revista Hola.

This is on a whole different level, sources they don't have. I mean i too know people in SRE and SEGOB who talk and talk and talk, but im gonna go and start talking like the rumors are true?

Ploid 3.0

Hm, how many times have i heard that in the past months.

Yeah, after 2 or 50 times you just have to give up on predicting what will happen when Trump is involved. I miss the days of "he's in this race as a joke, for publicity." Innocent times.

Trickster

Would not be surprised if this is how Trump is used to "negotiating" with contractors and whatnot.

It's like his brain can't process that he's the president of the most powerful nation on earth.

The casa blanca affair (and Peña's thesis) was an investigation done with public record, they basically knew which house was because Angelica showed it on revista Hola.

This is on a whole different level, sources they don't have. I mean i too know people in SRE and SEGOB who talk and talk and talk, but im gonna go and start talking like the rumors are true?

Of course, we should be taking it with a grain of salt – the people involved and privy to such a conversation have to be of a high profile in the government. I'm not saying the light it paints on both parties is 100% truth, but at least it seems consistent with the typical public reactions of the involved.

As the SRE – and by extension Videgaray – have responded, and knowing Aristegui and her history with this administration I expect a response from her team shortly.

turmoil

Banned
Is Trump able to first strike Mexico without congressional approval?

Because if he is it was nice to know you Mexico.

Well, actually I don't think he is crazy enough to do it, worst case scenario you flatter him before offering a bribe.

Tough if he were to do that it would be interesting to see if the rest of the world would engage in a commercial embargo against the US.

Shadybiz

I would prefer to not invade Mexico, k thx.

Would not be surprised if this is how Trump is used to "negotiating" with contractors and whatnot.

It's like his brain can't process that he's the president of the most powerful nation on earth.

Yeah, this is pretty much it. He's used to making a ridiculous statement/contract demand, and then working his way back. If a contractor doesn't want to negotiate, you can usually find another contractor. But...you can't find another Mexico..there is only one of them, and they'll be next to us for kinda forever.

I wonder if the British are going to flip flop with Brexit after the increasing Trump threat.

Won't flip flop with Brexit, however if Trump does end up being problematic, Tories are going to get pally with him, then lose the next election because everyone in the UK thinks Trump is a brain dead bellend. Next party in power probably ends up working on building up our European relationships, which, if Trump ends up starting these wars he keeps threatening, will result in a fast track back into the EU because Britain is a nuclear threat and is a barrier island between the EU and America.

That's IF things start escalating to potential world war 3. Otherwise nothings going to happen beyond economic depressions in the UK and US.

Jotaka

Yeah, fuck that. I sure as hell didn't vote for that piece of shit and I don't want to be blamed or associated with anything he does.

I think americans should have some responsability to hold the madman in its place if he try to go nuts against the world or any country. Just because you not driving the car, you should try stop him to drive when he clearly drunk :p Well that is how it works here in Brazil, Japan has that too.

RanciscOS

Neo Member
An invasion sounds unfeasible for me. I mean, I live in the north of Mexico and I can't even imagine where to start. Cities like Monterrey or Mexico City? Guadalajara? Queretaro? Not to mention that there are states where the drug cartels have overtaken the government. Is Trump going to take those too?

Now, if he is talking about fighting drug cartels, good luck with that. The past mexican administration already tried that and we haven't recovered yet from the outcome.

If all of this is true, I believe it is just a way to instigate fear among mexican officials. I wonder if he knows Peña Nieto will be replaced next year.

The only way to kill the Cartels is to legalize, tax and offer health and opportunity to the young.

Of course the GOP will never do that

If all of this is true, I believe it is just a way to instigate fear among mexican officials. I wonder if he knows Peña Nieto will be replaced next year.

Of course he will. Mexico is very strong against re-election. The question is, will he be replaced by PRI or PAN/PRD candidate (Anaya or Obrador)?

It's more that he processes it halfway. He gets and 'appreciates' all the power of the position; he does not understand the notion of responsibility or, ultimately, humility that should come with it - certainly when not facing the public.

Guamu

The only way to kill the Cartels is to legalize, tax and offer health and opportunity to the young.

Of course the GOP will never do that

Of course he will. Mexico is very strong against re-election. The question is, will he be replaced by PRI or PAN/PRD candidate (Anaya or Obrador)?

Re-election does not exist in México

Wag

If this is the way Trump speaks with heads of state, imagine how he talks to his family...

RanciscOS

Neo Member

Oh, for sure Peña will be replaced, I was wondering if Trump knows this and that his scare tactics (hopefully) won't work with the next president.

About the last question, according to the most recent polls, AMLO is leading, but I read somewhere that Anaya had a meeting with Peña to halt AMLO chances for the presidency.

Zips

I very much doubt Trump would try to invade Mexico. That sounds like a bunch of hot air and bluster, like Trump likes to try and do. I hope the Mexican President didn't bow to Trump.

If it actually happened - I can only imagine the upheaval in the States. God help the soldiers unlucky enough to be facing off with the brutal cartels too. They'd probably just end up bringing back horror stories and some corrupted troops, with little or nothing to show for it.

This orange fuck has no idea how global economies work does he? If take a scorched earth policy with Mexico our economy is going to fucking implode. Fuck.

Koomaster

I really don't get why he's so intent on pissing off Mexico. Like what is even the end goal here? You aren't going to get another country to pay for your stupid pet project; especially by being a bully. Is he going to start a senseless war with Mexico over this? Like how far is he really going to take this whole Mexico is going to pay for a wall bullshit?

I really don't get why he's so intent on pissing off Mexico. Like what is even the end goal here? You aren't going to get another country to pay for your stupid pet project; especially by being a bully. Is he going to start a senseless war with Mexico over this? Like how far is he really going to take this whole Mexico is going to pay for a wall bullshit?
He's pissing off Australia for no reason - why should Mexico be any different? Unbelievable how terrible he is.

CrunchyB

Yeah, this is pretty much it. He's used to making a ridiculous statement/contract demand, and then working his way back. If a contractor doesn't want to negotiate, you can usually find another contractor. But...you can't find another Mexico..there is only one of them, and they'll be next to us for kinda forever.

Yeah, this makes sense. Trump is used to bullying contractors. This could still work as he is POTUS, but some degree of restraint is required because many nations have leaders in place who are very experienced and not easily intimidated. And they know damn well that he can't fight everyone.

Valentus

Bush did this just fine. Your unaware of just how much the US outmatches everyone else especially the EU militarily. The EU currently relies on US protection through NATO. The scenario your talking about is batshit crazy land.

The US militarily outmatches china's militarily?

RocBase

Yeah, this makes sense. Trump is used to bullying contractors. This could still work as he is POTUS, but some degree of restraint is required because many nations have leaders in place who are very experienced and not easily intimidated. And they know damn well that he can't fight everyone.

Yup I was just coming to say this too. There was that one video of the architect contractor detailing this, was published during the Hilary campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom