• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump urged Mexican president to end his public defiance on border wall

And the end of the short call
nJKzNsg.jpg

This is actually legit funny. Like laugh out loud. This could be a page from the script of Veep.

Holy shit. :D

RM8

In exchange for what? I thought Trump thought he was a deal maker. What does he expect when shitting on him publically is way more valuable politically than anything he has to offer?
It was indeed a victory for EPN. He has very low approval ratings and is generally perceived to be an inept president, we Mexicans were half expecting him to play along Trump's stupidity game. But he actually made a video saying "lol no" and, for a moment, Mexican people supported him.

We lost a lot of factories in Ohio and Michigan and I won these states – some of these states have not been won in 38 years by a Republican and I won them very easily
"But let's unite" said every fucking moron under the sun.

RPGCrazied

I'm sure he will call this a leak!

We must stop the leaks! So I can continue to be an embarrassment with nobody knowing!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Not like I needed more proof but this right here:
TRUMP
Good. I want you to be so popular that your people will call for a constitutional amendment in Mexico so that you can run again for another six years.
Shows how little Trump knows and cares about Mexican polity. Mexico suffered a decade long revolutionary war due to the issue of reelection. A constitutional amendment calling for this would be the biggest taboo in Mexican politics.

BadAss2961

TRUMP
I do not know where they find these people to make these stupid deals. I am going to get killed on this thing.

TURNBULL
You will not.

TRUMP
Yes, I will be seen as a weak and ineffective leader in my first week by these people. This is a killer.

TURNBULL
You can certainly say that it was not a deal that you would have done, but you are going to stick with it.

TRUMP
I have no choice to say that about it.
Wow

AndyD

aka andydumi
Shows how little Trump knows and cares about Mexican polity. Mexico suffered a decade long revolutionary war due to the issue of reelection. A constitutional amendment calling for this would be the biggest taboo in Mexican politics.

That's what he wants for himself. His dream is the Putinesque "much loved leader forever" approach.

Saya

TURNBULL
These guys are not in that league. They are economic refugees.

TRUMP
Okay, good. Can Australia give me a guarantee that if we have any problems – you know that is what they said about the Boston bombers. They said they were wonderful young men.

TURNBULL
They were Russians. They were not from any of these countries.

TRUMP
They were from wherever they were.

tenor.gif

Dr.Acula

Banned
The whole Turnbull transcript is amazing, where Trump asks Turnbull if it was an "Obama deal" and goes from accepting 2000 refugees to 5000 refugees, and Turnbull having to explain that all that's required is vetting 1250 refugees, and Trump JUST. NOT. GETTING. IT.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I distinctly remember reading about this the day after the call... So I have no idea why this is newsworthy today.

The day after the call reports gave some idea of the content of the calls, but got extremely wrong the tone of them. For example, the call with Peña Nieto was painted as Trump mercilessly bullying an speechless Mexican president with his tough rally persona. With this release, the actual call seems a lot more cordial and Peña Nieto never lost its cool.

Patryn

I've read it several times and I still don't understand the New Hampshire quote. What is he try to say there?

I believe what he meant is that New Hampshire is so drug infested that the "good" people got fed up with Mexico, which is where all the drugs must be from, and voted for Trump who said he would take a stand.

Of course this ignores the fact that Trump lost New Hampshire.

TS-08

Blanche saying it isn't fair to the POTUS to have leaks like this and how we need to stop it. Poor guy.

In the abstract, it really isn't good for these transcripts to leak and any president would be rightly upset. The counter, of course, is that Trump is a special case and that's almost certainly what motivated the leaker. I will also say that when news of the tension in the conversation between he and Turnbull were reported earlier in the year, he basically denied it and called it fake news. So in some sense, he lost a right to complain about the leak.

le.phat

TURNBULL said:
Please, if we can agree to stick to the deal, you have complete discretion in terms of a security assessment. The numbers are not 2,000 but 1,250 to start. Basically, we are taking people from the previous administration that they were very keen on getting out of the United States. We will take more. We will take anyone that you want us to take. The only people that we do not take are people who come by boat. So we would rather take a not very attractive guy that help you out then to take a Noble [sic] Peace Prize winner that comes by boat. That is the point.

TRUMP said:
What is the thing with boats? Why do you discriminate against boats? No, I know, they come from certain regions. I get it.

giphy.gif

Maxim726X

The day after the call reports gave some idea of the content of the calls, but got extremely wrong the tone of them. For example, the call with Peña Nieto was painted as Trump mercilessly bullying an speechless Mexican president with his tough rally persona. With this release, the actual call seems a lot more cordial and Peña Nieto never lost its cool.

Perhaps you're right... I just remember 'this is the worst call I had all day' dropping which was pretty embarrassing.

shiba5

I distinctly remember reading about this the day after the call... So I have no idea why this is newsworthy today.

Because the other heads of state pulled his ass out of the fire so he could claim it was "fake news":

Donald J. Trump‏
@realDonaldTrump

Thank you to Prime Minister of Australia for telling the truth about our very civil conversation that FAKE NEWS media lied about. Very nice!

This was on February 2nd.

mnannola

We would be so much better off if instead of Trump, we had "Twitch plays the President" pick what choices should be made.

In the abstract, it really isn't good for these transcripts to leak and any president would be rightly upset. The counter, of course, is that Trump is a special case and that's almost certainly what motivated the leaker. I will also say that when news of the tension in the conversation between he and Turnbull were reported earlier in the year, he basically denied it and called it fake news. So in some sense, he lost a right to complain about the leak.

I can agree on the leak aspect, the issue I have it is as you said being done because he is a colossal fuck up and liar. I imagine if he would stop lying all the time and stopped acting like a shit heel that the leaks would end.

Notice how Trump states "I" and "me" multiple times during those conversations. He's just thinking how this will affect him personally, as he always does.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Anyone still in shock over the election results? This feels like a nightmarish fever dream.

I feel like I still haven't managed to process that this is actually happening.

We all knew Trump was a disaster and a cretinous human being that is incapable of making a bowl of cereal, let alone decisions that affect millions long before the election.

What gets me is how many people somehow put on blinders and convinced themselves he was the best option.

Shauni

I shouldn't be stunned at this point, but some of this is truly staggering in its stupidity. I mean, some of I can kind of understand being confusing for someone who have never dealt with this kind of stuff, but some of this is so basic and rudimentary. It's like what if Rose Nylan from the Golden Girls called the world's leader for some of this shit

RaidenZR

The continuing reveals of this man's ignorance is staggering. I already thought so low of of him but it manages to go lower with each new day.

Cess007

TRUMP
Good. I want you to be so popular that your people will call for a constitutional amendment in Mexico so that you can run again for another six years.

Holy shit. You gotta be kidding me

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
After reading both I would say:

• The Call will Peña Nieto was actually very well managed by Peña, while Trump wasn't nearly as belligerent as the earlier reports made it to be, but still Trump. Without knowing the actual tone of the conversation, I dare to say that it was cordial. The only scandal is Trump admitting that making Mexico to pay for the wall was always a sham, but everyone knew that already. The deal of keeping the wall talk in private was officially confirmed by the Mexican authorities.

• The call with Turnbull was even more shameful than the early reports, as Trump wasn't nearly as strong as it was reported and he talks about himall the time and optics on him. Turnbull should have accepted and send the increased number of refugees!

Anyone still in shock over the election results? This feels like a nightmarish fever dream.

I feel like I still haven't managed to process that this is actually happening.
I am not as terrified or losing sleep like I was in November-January. I know now he and the GOP are too incompetent to fuck us as hard and raw as I feared.
They are still fucking us, no doubt. But at least they lubed it up some.

Sobriquet

Quinnipiac reported a pretty stark stall and decline in Republican support for the president just yesterday. I can’t wait how much further it goes if this gets a lot of ink and coverage.

Just looked up the poll and oh my god:

54% said they were embarrassed to have him as president
57% said they he was abusing the powers of his office
60% said they believed he was above the law
71% said Trump was not levelheaded
62% said Trump was not honest
63% said Trump did not have good leadership skills
59% said he did not care about average Americans
63% said he did not share their values

Just looked up the poll and oh my god:

54% said they were embarrassed to have him as president
57% said they he was abusing the powers of his office
60% said they believed he was above the law
71% said Trump was not levelheaded
62% said Trump was not honest
63% said Trump did not have good leadership skills
59% said he did not care about average Americans
63% said he did not share their values

But "her emails" are like 99.9995% on their list, so Trump can stay.

Azuran

Banned
I expected this orange-covered piece of foreskin to be a joke president, but I didn't think he was going to be this fucking bad and incompetent. This idiot is way out of his league and his entire presidency if as complete and utter farce.And to think all of this happened because a black man dared to become president.

He cares SOOO much about where these refugees are from, who they are etc.

But when he's told the Boston Bombers were Russian he drops it like a hot potato. Wonder why.

Top Bottom