• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Trump's call to Mexican president was done in humiliating and threatening way

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyKazama

The White House has zero credibility and it's in the interests of the Mexican government to deny the AP report.

lol, sure. Well at least the White House and Mexican Government are working together on something.

Conflicting reports does not rise to the level of fake news.

Quit throwing that term around for no reason.

They should be getting confirmation from an official source before printing a random transcript excerpt.

rjinaz

lol, sure. Well at least the White House and Mexican Government are working together on something.

I wonder if it turns out to be true, what your response will be?

Something like "Well, tt's about time Trump took a harder stance on the Mexican government, their drug cartels are out of control" Basically, there's not ever going to be a wrong for you, is there?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I wonder if it turns out to be true, what your response will be?

Something like "Well, tt's about time Trump took a harder stance on the Mexican government, their drug cartels are out of control" Basically, there's not ever going to be a wrong for you, is there?

Funny you should say that:

Good. If the FBI or other 'feds' help to improve Chicago's murder clearance rate, that is at least a start at tackling the problem.

Dierce

They should be getting confirmation from an official source before printing a random transcript excerpt.
I don't see how any official source will confirm it. Mexico will deny it because it looks bad for them and the fascist white house is just laughing at all of us.

Iolo

Read this Washington Post reporting on Trump's call with the Australian PM—a staunch US ally!—and then tell me the Mexico call is implausible. In the White House's official version of events, they "emphasized the enduring strength and closeness of the U.S.-Australia relationship that is critical for peace, stability, and prosperity in the Asia-Pacific region and globally."

Instead, President Trump blasted Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull over a refu­gee agreement and boasted about the magnitude of his electoral college win, according to senior U.S. officials briefed on the Saturday exchange. Then, 25 minutes into what was expected to be an hour-long call, Trump abruptly ended it.

At one point Trump informed Turnbull that he had spoken with four other world leaders that day — including Russian President Vladi­mir Putin — and that “This was the worst call by far.”

Trump’s behavior suggests that he is capable of subjecting world leaders, including close allies, to a version of the vitriol he frequently employs against political adversaries and news organizations in speeches and on Twitter.

“This is the worst deal ever,” Trump fumed as Turnbull attempted to confirm that the United States would honor its pledge to take in 1,250 refugees from an Australian detention center. Trump, who one day earlier had signed an executive order temporarily barring the admissions of refugees, complained that he was “going to get killed” politically and accused Australia of seeking to export the “next Boston bombers.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...a3bfb0-e8bf-11e6-80c2-30e57e57e05d_story.html

edit: guess this is already a separate thread now, go check that out.

Z_Y

Your society and culture are responsible for having enabled his rise to power.

Oh gee...you know you're right. I'll get right on that whole "changing our culture" thing.

Lashing out those of us that voted against this shitbag and do not approve of his actions is not productive in the least.

Red

Yeah, I read as much. Apparently the article was penned by a certain Dolia Estevez and I see it's getting a lot of coverage across a number of Mexican sites. This doesn't look good at all.

It is bewildering. It is pure insanity. It really reads like a shakedown. It's just so outright insane it's hard to believe that even Donald Trump would go that far.
You don't think he would antagonize Mexico? The man who put Steve Bannon on the NSC? The man who wrote an EO to ban Muslim immigrants from the USA?

It's one thing to be cautious about news stories and reluctant to buy into the narrative that a particular outlet is shaping... but consider how outright preposterous the entire political climate and direction of the US government is right now. Don't give donnie the benefit of the doubt. Assume the worst at all times for everything.

If he dares to send troops into Mexico then Washington DC will drown in a sea of rioters. The American people will not sit complacent while our neighbor is unjustly invaded by the Orange fuckbag.

But the big question is... who in any position is going to stop them? They obviously don't care about drama, scandals, or unqualified candidates. Republicans all around don't seem to care he insults other countries and says "maybe I'll just send some soldiers there". They just had one of the biggest protests of all time against them and they shrugged it off. They beat y'all with a collective laugh and shrug.

Truthfully, I don't think the madness will end until the GOP grows a heart (or decides Donald Trump should be removed) or someone shoots up the White House. Like, he's pressing big boundaries at the moment and the ones should be caring don't care.

rjinaz

I think we'll know it's true if Trump doesn't come out and call it fake news. He's not going to put himself in a spot where Mexico can come out and say it IS true and make him look the fool. Because if it isn't true, you damn well can bet Trump will be all over it.

Fake news is breitbart shit.

This was reported by two well regarded journalist/organizations. WH and SRE have no credibility.

It's gossip at this point, yes, but NO FAKE NEWS

UberTag

Why the fuck does Mexico refuse to acknowledge it? Are they scared?
It's not in their best interests to acknowledge that the President of the United States threatened them with military action... or to subsequently call him a liar after their conversation leaked out to the public. This has nothing to do with "being scared". More like they want to sweep this under the rug to forestall this from escalating into an international incident.

Not to mention, acknowledging the call would also acknowledge that EPN came off as a little bitch. Why would his government want to lend credence to that?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm guessing all those calls are recorded, so eventually...

UberTag

while it sounds like trump, it can't be proven anyway.
If there's an audio recording to go along with the AP's transcript, it can be. That said, I'm not sure it's in anyone's interests to furnish one.

Well, except for Russia. They'd probably get a kick out of it. Perhaps WikiLeaks will deliver.

I think we took crazy pills in 2016 but 2017 .. woah .. that's crazier !

Where does this madness train stops ? I need to get out ASAP.

Jake Tapper:

My reporting suggests the AP is not quoting a transcript it is quoting from an internal WH readout of the Trump/Peña Nieto call. I have an excerpt of the transcript & we're about to publish what President Trump actually said on the call. It's not as antagonistic as readout

edit: beaten!

But the big question is... who in any position is going to stop them? They obviously don't care about drama, scandals, or unqualified candidates. Republicans all around don't seem to care he insults other countries and says "maybe I'll just send some soldiers there". They just had one of the biggest protests of all time against them and they shrugged it off. They beat y'all with a collective laugh and shrug.

Truthfully, I don't think the madness will end until the GOP grows a heart (or decides Donald Trump should be removed) or someone shoots up the White House. Like, he's pressing big boundaries at the moment and the ones should be caring don't care.

It would depend how entirely committed the GOP will be to Trump's possibly aggressive actions against Mexico. The middle east fuckery is one thing, but to invade our non-violent neighbor should not sit well with a good portion of House/Senate Repubs. I might be too optimistic, but even Republicans grow spines once in a while against their stupid party.

MIMIC

Banned
If Mexico's denying it as well, then I'm going to be skeptical. They just blew off a meeting with Trump and have no reason to act like Trump isn't antagonistic.

EDIT: Or maybe it was a contentious conversation. Who knows. Either way, Trump is ruining global ties left and right.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Funny you mention it. Not so long ago I was checking information about the Mexican military and I was utterly shocked by how the Mexican military has no tanks nor fighter jets. Then again, it has little to fear from Guatemala and Belize is far from being Latveria, so it stands for reason that kind of hardware would be kind of wasted on the country.

Yeah, Mexico spend less on its military compared to its peers (Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Chile) as we characterize ourselves as a peaceful country. However, if we are forced to, I wouldn't waste money on those. I would invest on missiles, manpands, tunnels and submarines.

So give money to the US?

Eh, USA has always renegade on selling us good equipment anyway. We already buy the good stuff from Israel.

Yeah, this makes sense. Trump is used to bullying contractors. This could still work as he is POTUS, but some degree of restraint is required because many nations have leaders in place who are very experienced and not easily intimidated. And they know damn well that he can't fight everyone.

SOVEREIGN nations, (once)-united with us in mutual benefit and generations-long bonhomie in many cases, just...*FWIP* cuz The Creamsicle-In-Chief is a sociopathic manchild.

A. More people voted Clinton than trump.
B. The point was that demonizing the whole for the actions of a subset of the whole is at best moronic.
C. I believe he's Muslim and should understand what being demonized for shits that's out of his control feels like

A. Your point being? A damn site more people voted for Trump than people that are hostage in Mosul and Al-Raqqa.
B. Yeah it is moronic. But blaming Muslims for ISIS, even as an analogy, is even more moronic.
C. You're an American and you must know what it's like to be considered the villain of the world. Seeing as you have been since Reagan.

Feel free to call him out on venting, but don't try to double-back and get upset at THEM for this disaster of a President that happened on America's watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom