• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe goes open world, gets social hub, day/night cycle, flying, more

Annubis

Gah, everything about this game screams what I wanted from Destiny, but all of the armour looks awful :( Maybe I should just power through.

Base warframes are often pretty lame.
Prime variants usually look much better.

If that's not enough, than there's cosmetics.

The combat got boring and I'm not a big fan of the artstyle of the frames and enemies but this is really really cool. They have some amazing developers.

Warframe is a game I want to love but it's such a mess. I played right at launch, then came back a few years after all the systems were redone but there's no onboarding for returning players, just all the changes.

I like the gameplay from moment to moment more than most games, but everything around it is a nightmare

havent played this for a few years now. This feels completely different.
When I played it, it was the same 2 ship layouts randomly generated and a lot of replaying and grinding. Might jump back into it now.
(i just remember 2 boss fights, the second one being some really tanky general in a lava factory area and tons of henchmen shooting at you).
If you haven't played in a while you're in for some real eye-popping moments when you jump back in.

I'd break down the list of changes and additions and improvements and full on overhauls and new systems they've added over the past few years, but that would take me all weekend ;p

Suffice it to say they've expanded and refined the unholy hell out of it, on every front.

border

What is the framerate like on consoles? This video looked super-smooth, but I assume it's running on an uber-PC.

This is pretty much exactly what Warframe needed. Well, this and maybe some proper dungeons/raids of some sort.

Up until now it's just been farming pretty bland runs from point A to point B. The hub and open world area look pretty damn great.

That mountain behind there is a gameplay space.
I can't believe he actually just said that. lol

What is the framerate like on consoles? This video looked super-smooth, but I assume it's running on an uber-PC.
From what I can tell, it has a 60fps cap, but floats anywhere from 30 to 60.

Also, not necessarily an uber PC. The game's incredibly well optimized.

Edit: Oh damn, archwing traversal

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like a completely different game from when I first played it in 2013. Holy shit.
Indeed, I'm kinda tempted to try it again after all these years. It was fun, but I got tired of replaying the same levels and dropped it quickly.

PC and PS4 Neogaf communities! Come talk to us if you want to get back in or are just starting out.

I should probably play this game. How's the gun play?

Very nice. High speed TPS, gun feel varies by a lot. There's a Primary/Secondary/Melee weapon system and a ton of weapons to play with, using a stat modding system too.

What does this mean?

Night time seems to have some kind of Monster Hunter/Dying Light style big bad that comes out at night. The open world area is apparently littered by the corpse (yes, singular) of a giant enemy that's still "alive" in a way.

This is pretty much exactly what Warframe needed. Well, this and maybe some proper dungeons/raids of some sort.

It does have three raids.

border

What's the best way to instantly trivialize an open world?

Give the players flying mounts.

Not even Blizzard has really been able to solve this issue, so I am curious if the Warframe dudes have anything up their sleeve.

Laiza

FINALLY we get to fight as our operators properly, with a full kit and all. I've been waiting a long time for this! Like they mentioned in the stream, the final encounter in Chains of Harrow really drives home how bad the system is right now, so I'll be quite happy when that's fixed.

Also feral kavat skin HYYYYYYYYPE! (I'm still miffed that it took this long just to get a confirmation, but at least it was worth the wait.)

To be honest, the open world stuff isn't that interesting to me. It's the other stuff surrounding it (build your own weapon, the eidolons, a proper day & night cycle, etc.) that I'm more interested in. Not sure if this will break my constant streak of falling in and out of love with the game, but I'll definitely give it a proper go.

Not even Blizzard has really been able to solve this issue, so I am curious if the Warframe dudes have anything up their sleeve.
The traversal isn't the point of the open world as much as having a wide range of activities for players to partake in. Also, Warframe, unlike WoW, has aerial enemies who can engage and pursue you when you're in the air, in addition to most enemies having ranged weapons by default (as opposed to a significant number of open world mobs in WoW being melee). It's a very different kind of game.

Looks like you have to build charges to use the Archwings on the planet, the archwings originally only works on space and moves super slow on water

So Warframe just became what I wanted Destiny 2 to be before Destiny could do it. Bravo!

Warframe was, is, what I wanted for Destiny 1.

Flying has been in the game for a while, and whole missions are played purely through flying, or a mix of on-foot and space combat, or on-foot and underwater combat (yeah, you can take that thing underwater, though am not sure whether that applies to this new landscape). This is the first time we're seeing Archwings on land though. I think it'll work here since it won't just a mount to take you from A to B.

And a note for the title change - Warframe has had social hubs for a while now too - relays, hosted on dedicated servers where players buy, trade, test builds, interact with factions, etc. This looks to be DE taking the idea much farther though, with civilians and spoken NPCs and quests, and of course the whole explorable area.

Wow, I knew the support for this game was meant to be really good but this is something else. I should really sit down and give it a shot someday, maybe this'll be the push I need.

Sojgat

I stopped playing quite a while ago, but the way this game keeps evolving is insane.

Might have to jump back in.

yencid

watched this stream live, super excited when they stepped into the open area. was texting a buddy of mine that plays the game as well and we basically agreed they could have called this warframe 2! One important thing will be gathering resources, how the crafted weapon stats will work and if theres replayability in the space. Regardless im definitely excited for the future of the game.

Props to the dev. I played a good amount of Warframe on my PS4 and I think it is time for me to jump back. Loki stay winning.

Velikost

Cool that this is still going; I tried it at launch on PC and again on PS4, but never for more than an hour or two.

Is it still a F2P grindfest though? I assume so

Royce McCutcheon

I don't think I've seen a game supported this well post launch before, this is a completely different game from the vanilla frame that came with ps4. Played it back when ps4 was content starved

Hastati

This is seriously impressive. I can't think of many successful massively multiplayer games that have made changes of this scale, usually it's an expansion or just a new game.

I might give this a shot now. I remember getting a beta key a long ass time ago, sorta by mistake as I was looking for warface. I tried warface, game was and is bad, and never gave this a shot. Not sure if I'll like it still but it's worth a shot.

Yeah, but it's one of the most fair grind models in the business.

I kinda feel like people say this about a lot of f2ps lately.

DocSeuss

I wish they'd go in and rework player movement and combat completely. Maybe even make the bosses less about "invincible until X and then you can damage him." Only remaining complaint about the game right now.

I kinda feel like people say this about a lot of f2ps lately.

Most things in the game are obtainable for free without the use of the premium currency. And then just about everything is available for the premium currency, which is freely tradable between users, and most things are priced pretty reasonably.

The only money locked things are steam user-created skins, and alternative cosmetic skins.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
watching the gameplay vid and I'm in awe. Not wanna be that person but this makes a certain loot-based fps charging 60 bucks for what looks like a glorified expac all the more outrageous.

VariantX

I wish they'd go in and rework player movement and combat completely. Maybe even make the bosses less about "invincible until X and then you can damage him." Only remaining complaint about the game right now.

Yeah, but they're getting much better about that. At least the new bosses don't typically shut you out from damaging them like the old ones do, and you're given something to do to open them up to damage instead of being forced to wait. The last boss rework isn't even about damage but defending the targets within a narrow time window to allow you to advance the encounter.

Can someone clear something up can people just buy prime versions of Warframe? And will Umbra version be purchasable?

Prime Warframes can be straight bought only if they're in the current Prime Access/Vault system--think of it like Prime Warframe of the 3-months. Otherwise you use Platinum to get the parts off of other players, or other tradable items between players. There is only a trading system, not an auction house system.

Umbra we have no idea about the details on. Umbra was just something used in the Chinese version of Warframe and took the place of Excalibur Prime (a Founders-only Prime Warframe) for that region's release.

They did completely rework movement, depending upon when the last time you played, with the addition of bullet-jump Max Payne action and wall-hopping and wall-latching.

And your complaint about the bosses is one the devs agree with - they've been trying to come up with new bosses that aren't invulnerable or just massively scaled up in terms of armor and damage. We'll have to see what that means when it comes time to fight these Eidolons.

VandalD

Can someone clear something up can people just buy prime versions of Warframe? And will Umbra version be purchasable?
You can buy the most recently released prime frame on the official site. You can also trade for it with other players. And you can also just farm the parts yourself.

It's not known if Excalibur Umbra will be directly purchasable. He'll be a quest frame apparently, but he'll be the first quest frame that isn't a basic frame. I'd bet that you could just buy him though. We'll see.

Prime Warframes can be straight bought only if they're in the current Prime Access/Vault system--think of it like Prime Warframe of the 3-months. Otherwise you use Platinum to get the parts off of other players, or other tradable items between players. There is only a trading system, not an auction house system.

Umbra we have no idea about the details on. Umbra was just something used in the Chinese version of Warframe and took the place of Excalibur Prime (a Founders-only Prime Warframe) for that region's release.
So if I were to buy those parts from other players is it simple to craft a prime warframe or would there still be grinding?

You can buy the most recently released prime frame on the official site. You can also trade for it with other players. And you can also just farm the parts yourself.

It's not known if Excalibur Umbra will be directly purchasable. He'll be a quest frame apparently, but he'll be the first quest frame that isn't a basic frame. I'd bet that you could just buy him though. We'll see.

I would hope so since I would like to support the devs and I don't have Excal as a frame yet so I might wait until this Umbra release

So if I were to buy those parts from other players is it simple to craft a prime warframe or would there still be grinding?

Warframes have resources you have to use to build their parts, so there would be grind there. Weapons though are just component parts and you could build them immediately if you got the full set of it.

Mengetsu

I just never got into this game. I tried so much with the worlds and characters but it's just uninteresting for me. Nice update though.

Is this game good? I've seen ads for it and stuff but have no clue what it is.
Really good. I still haven't even finished the basic progression (going from planet to planet or whatever) yet. There's at least 100+ hours of content without needing to go out of your way to grind for specific things.

Annubis

Really good. I still haven't even finished the basic progression (going from planet to planet or whatever) yet. There's at least 100+ hours of content without needing to go out of your way to grind for specific things.

100?

61Z1Zw6.png

Top Bottom