• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe goes open world, gets social hub, day/night cycle, flying, more

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Time to dust off my redeemers.
5b7JbfX.jpg
Yeah, well Mesa's no-
Was buffed a bit not too long ago too.
They buffed Mesa? When did that happen?

thumb

Banned
When we learned that Destiny was 30FPS on consoles, people told me that the map sizes, physics, and peer-to-peer connections prevented it from being 60FPS. When I pointed out that Warframe had those things, I was told that Warframe maps are smaller. Not anymore.

I think this is some healthy competition.

I played this like 4 years ago for a bit and this got me to reinstall. Is there a date on this open world stuff?
Just 2017 as far as I've found.

Might be worth checking out all the other stuff they've changed over those four years, even before this update hits.

When the we learned that Destiny was 30FPS, people told me that the map sizes, physics, and peer-to-peer connections prevented it from being 60FPS. When I pointed out that Warframe had those things, I was told that Warframe maps are smaller. Not anymore.
And I've never seen so many enemies and effects thrown on the screen like I've seen in some Warframe missions. Its mindboggling at times.

Back when the game launched on PS4 even a portion of those effects would drop the framerates into the single digits. They've come a damn long way since then.

They buffed Mesa? When did that happen?

I can't remember the exact update, but they made her lasso be permanent on her while another bounces around between allies. Previously it moved between all players in the group which left her open when it wasn't spinning around her. It's a relatively minor, but significant buff.

Also they made Peacemakers scale with secondary mods back in update 18.

I played this like 4 years ago for a bit and this got me to reinstall. Is there a date on this open world stuff?

Supposedly this year. I'd expect it to be towards the end of the year.

border

When we learned that Destiny was 30FPS on consoles, people told me that the map sizes, physics, and peer-to-peer connections prevented it from being 60FPS. When I pointed out that Warframe had those things, I was told that Warframe maps are smaller. Not anymore.

Do we know if this Warframe expansion is actually running at 60FPS on consoles? Even as a corridor shooter it apparently wasn't a solid 60......I generally do not expect open world games to run at 60 on consoles.

i-Jest

It was fun for what it was but I lost interest in it, time and time again. The reason being it was always tough for me to find a fun group of dedicated people to play with. I'm gonna give it another go with this update.

Tabby

Saw this and thought it was a joke, saw weapon building and thought it was another joke but then I saw the trailer.

DE is insane, major props; and it's all still free.

Wait, this game has a single player?

I wrote it off as some f2p mmo shooter and I'm not really into social gaming of the sort.

Looks like I need to do some research now.

Looks incredible.

Warframe proves that through iderative game design traditional reviews don't make sense anymore for some games.

Reviews for games like Warframe should be yearly in tune with how the games evolve. This game is reviewed badly from how it was back in 2013, but it's nothing like that now.

VariantX

Do we know if this Warframe expansion is actually running at 60FPS on consoles? Even as a corridor shooter it apparently wasn't a solid 60.

Likely no. The game on PC is having issues they're working out with the new foilage tech hurting mid/lower end machines right now. It also doesn't even take advantage of PS4Pro yet.

Head.spawn

No joke. This makes that Farm reveal a few days ago look sadly quaint in comparison.

thumb

Banned
Do we know if this Warframe expansion is actually running at 60FPS on consoles? Even as a corridor shooter it apparently wasn't a solid 60......I generally do not expect open world games to run at 60 on consoles.

They have given no indication that they are shifting to a 30FPS game. And I'll take 50-60FPS over 30FPS any day.

ZugZug123

Always wanted to try it. How friendly it is for solo players? I like the "world is alive" feel of MMOs but play them as a loner.

thumb

Banned
Likely no. The game on PC is having issues they're working out with the new foilage tech hurting mid/lower end machines right now. It also doesn't even take advantage of PS4Pro yet.

They have a *touch* of PS4Pro support thus far, but no increased resolution. I think just more reliable performance.

border

They have given no indication that they are shifting to a 30FPS game. And I'll take 50-60FPS over 30FPS any day.

So far there's only like 1 open world game on consoles that runs at 60FPS, and that's MGSV. I would not get your hopes up for 50-60FPS, but we shall see.

Aomber

This all looks good, but there's one thing that still concerns me, and maybe someone here can tell me if this has been addressed in any way.

I played about 400 hours of this game, and it's great fun to screw around with a friend. The biggest problem though is that once you get what you want... You're done. Once you get the prime warframe you want or whatever it is, there's not really a lot of reason to keep playing other than just to "get more stuff" that doesn't add to any real progress.

Is this still the case? Because if this is still a problem, I don't see how this update is gonna fix it.

I hope it's not like the last few times I jumped back in for a big update. It ended up more complicated and confusing and grind focused each time.

I've put maybe 40 hours total into it and still use pretty much the base gear because I never get drops and don't want to spend money on the insane expensive micro transactions.

Watching the video in a bit.

VariantX

They have a *touch* of PS4Pro support thus far, but no increased resolution. I think just more reliable performance.

That's literally just the increase you get from the pro's CPU. It's running at a unlocked frame rate and it gets even more stable with boost mode. It still hasn't taken advantage of anything on the GPU side yet.

thumb

Banned
So far there's only like 1 open world game on consoles that runs at 60FPS, and that's MGSV. I would not get your hopes up for 50-60FPS, but we shall see.

My prediction for the open world level(s):

PS4 and Xbox One: Adaptive resolution or 900p, 50-60FPS
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X: 1080p ~60FPS

This assumes they finish implementing their Pro/One X support. My performance predictions apply to within two months of release on consoles. I assume it will come in hot, as most large Warframe updates do.

Sevyne

Back during the PS4 launch I played the hell out of this game and loved it. Tried to get back into it when they did their first big overhaul, but it was an overload of information to take in at the time. With this news I might have to give it another go though. It sounds amazing, and I've really wanted to get back on board for a while now.

The devs for this game really are awesome with how dedicated they are.

oakenhild

I somehow have 186 hours played, and eventually hit a wall where I couldn't progress easily, and didn't really want to keep grinding. That video looked pretty great. Only concern is the amount of repetition in that open world.

I tried playing again about a month ago, and still felt so lost looking at the galaxy map, just not sure what to do, or where to go. Hopefully they can fix that somehow?

This all looks good, but there's one thing that still concerns me, and maybe someone here can tell me if this has been addressed in any way.

I played about 400 hours of this game, and it's great fun to screw around with a friend. The biggest problem though is that once you get what you want... You're done. Once you get the prime warframe you want or whatever it is, there's not really a lot of reason to keep playing other than just to "get more stuff" that doesn't add to any real progress.

Is this still the case? Because if this is still a problem, I don't see how this update is gonna fix it.

Yeah thats always been my problem... I need more than just grinding for gear

What it doesn't have is marketing. This is honestly the first in a long time I've heard of a big update to Warframe. PC is fine but idk how the console population is doing, especially on Xbox where it is buried deep in the F2P section. When it came out on Xbox I heard nothing of it's release until last year when I just randomly stumbled upon it.

postaboy

WOW! Huge improvements the last time I played it. There's no way I'm getting back to it. My advice to new players. Stay the fuck away from this game. It will fuck up your life. Quit the game back in 2015. Excalibur was my guy and I was a fucking beast with him. I exploited (3000+ kills every time, lvl 1 to 30 all parts, frame, etc. in 30 minutes) and glitch (5 players in one room) the heck out of this game.

svk8YPP.jpg

QdDoWLi.jpg

BFBtDFV.jpg

K, so downloading now and decided to look up some frames while I wait since I'm picky with looks and all that and don't know any of the names and such... So I did an image search for "female warframes" and was going to do a search for male ones next...

Don't. Do. That. Don't make my mistake. Sweet Jesus at least make sure your search is in Catholic School mode.

Is there a safe place I can find this info?

Also maybe a good video that explains everything?

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
K, so downloading now and decided to look up some frames while I wait since I'm picky with looks and all that and don't know any of the names and such... So I did an image search for "female warframes" and was going to do a search for male ones next...

Don't. Do. That. Don't make my mistake. Sweet Jesus at least make sure your search is in Catholic School mode.

Warframe wiki
Tons and tons of info on the game. Very handy.

Aomber

List of all the warframes, not organized by gender but you can figure that out pretty easily.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Warframes

The three starter frames are Excalibur, Mag, and Volt – you start with one and can acquire the others. As for videos, you can look up individual frames easily on youtube.

I'd focus on your first frame when you start then worry about what frame to get next, because you'll have a better idea of which ones are easier to get . Some frames are definitely more difficult to get than others, for example Rhino is super easy to get, but don't plan on getting Vauban right off the bat.

Hooks

Not sure I see what the problem is? What search engine are you using??

Warframe wiki
Tons and tons of info on the game. Very handy.

List of all the warframes, not organized by gender but you can figure that out pretty easily.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Warframes

The three starter frames are Excalibur, Mag, and Volt – you start with one and can acquire the others. As for videos, you can look up individual frames easily on youtube.

I'd focus on your first frame when you start then worry about what frame to get next, because you'll have a better idea of which ones are easier to get . Some frames are definitely more difficult to get than others, for example Rhino is super easy to get, but don't plan on getting Vauban right off the bat.

You guys are awesome and that Wiki is put together way nicer than most.

So your advice is to just focus on choosing one of the three starter ones and then choosing which one I want next after... I mean, what do I do with them? Do you upgrade them? Is this shown visually? At what point should I start trying for another frame?

All of this will probably become apparent when I start playing I bet but asking just in case. Will go over the Wiki though.

Not sure I see what the problem is? What search engine are you using??

Ummm. That second image man... Might want to delete that...

I was using Bing. And some gifs where at top as well as some others... Maybe I put just "Female warframe" without the s. Not gonna look again lol.

Vic_Viper

What was up with the Black and Gold guy in the clip at the end?

Is he part of the story lol?

Wish this game was alil easier to get into. Like others have said, the progression system is super confusing and I just gave up trying to figure out where Im supposed to go.

What was up with the Black and Gold guy in the clip at the end?

Is he part of the story lol?

Wish this game was alil easier to get into. Like others have said, the progression system is super confusing and I just gave up trying to figure out where Im supposed to go.

Excalibur (DE Mascot , Main face of warframe) Umbra, people went nuts when that variation of Excalibur were handled to the chinese guys as an exclusive warframe. Finally makes an appareance and probably being obtainable on the next quest.

Top Bottom