• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus PC performance thread

Vega 56 faster than a GTX 1080 in 1080p and 1440p and equal in 4K. This game seems to put the more advanced tech inside the Vega to good effect.

DarkStream

Does not compute. Vsync should be disabled when using G-sync and then cap your framerate to just below your maximum refresh rate with RTSS for the best experience.

Did Nvidia ever get around to adding fullscreen g-sync support for Vulkan? That might be the problem with your tearing.

Yeah, I know it doesn't make any sense. No other games I have to enable V-Sync. Also, I'm already capping the fps using RTSS. Extremely strange behaviour.

I set G-Sync to Windowed + Fullscreen. Changing between borderless windows and fullscreen doesn't change anything. Enabling V-Sync worked though, unfortunately I can feel a little input lag because of this.

Running on a GTX 970 and an i7 3770k@4.5. Getting almost solid 60 fps running on Ultra.

FHIZ

I can't even change the resolution of the game without it freezing. Trying to change it to the native 1440 for my g sync monitor, and once I hit apply, the monitor sort of resets, the LEDs on the base even flash on and off, and when I get back to the settings screen, the mouse is frozen. I can press enter again, and the screen just goes black. That's about it. Can't even ALT F4 out. Tried it in full screen and borderless window. Even pulled the Nvidia drivers today.

Edit: oh awesome, now task manager froze when a suggested fix failed.

Seems fucked.

Nothing that really prevents the game to work well for the majority of people though.

*cough*

Ravelle

I can't even change the resolution of the game without it freezing. Trying to change it to the native 1440 for my g sync monitor, and once I hit apply, the monitor sort of resets, the LEDs on the base even flash on and off, and when I get back to the settings screen, the mouse is frozen. I can press enter again, and the screen just goes black. That's about it. Can't even ALT F4 out. Tried it in full screen and borderless window. Even pulled the Nvidia drivers today.

Seems fucked.

*cough*

I have a regular 1440p monitor and same thing here. I downloaded the Nvidia Hotfix, was able to change my resolution at least but froze again 2 minutes in. The first time it froze on the Gamma selection screen.

FHIZ

I have a regular 1440p monitor and same thing here. I downloaded the Nvidia Hotfix, was able to change my resolution at least but froze again 2 minutes in. The first time it froze on the Gamma selection screen.

I've looked at Steam and the Bethesda forums and people have suggested changing things in the Nvidia control panel, or set the settings on low, apply, then change your resolution, apply and then back to high or ultra... But nothing works. Every time I change my resolution it freezes. Every now and then when I ctrl alt del to the task manager, I see an error box saying something about Crash Dump.

EDIT: Progress has been made? Apparently the game hates Gsync? I disabled it, and was able to changes my resolution without problems. Relaunched the game with Gsync on and it's working with 1440p, but all the notifications in start up in all different languages were flickering.

It seems someone is going to have to either update the game or their drivers (again), because it just seems the game isn't properly compatible with Gsync.

On a black screen I'm noticing some flickering, and then I guess in one of the opening cut scenes (BJ was laying on the ground) there were some super fucked up flickering artifacts going on. ALT Tabbed to edit this thread and the game crashed again..

SandTorso

Anyone playing with an older videocard? I'm still kicking around a 670 4GB that's been pulling it's weight, wondering how it'll do at 1080p on medium or so. Have a 6700k and 16GB of RAM so I'm really just worried about the video card at this point.

moerser

the game seems to be having a lot of issues at launch. I guess I will wait before buying.

i7 7600k
16gb ddr4
144hz monitor

1080p ultra settings, shadows medium, motion blur off

i never drop below the 144 fps and the game runs ver smooth. no crashes, no freezing.

FHIZ

Have some of that flickering too but it's only during cutscenes so I'll ignore it for now, probably drivers or some overlay crapping itself. I'll wait for Nvidia to release their drivers early next week.

I re-downloaded the Nvidia hot fix drivers, and the flickering seems to be gone and it all seemed to be working, but then I got to the point in the opening where I presume you take over and start shooting, but I just got stuck on a black screen with an alarm going off, which I don't think any drivers are going to fix.

dmr87

I re-downloaded the Nvidia hot fix drivers, and the flickering seems to be gone and it all seemed to be working, but then I got to the point in the opening where I presume you take over and start shooting, but I just got stuck on a black screen with an alarm going off, which I don't think any drivers are going to fix.

Ok, I don't have that problem. Gameplay is pretty much flawless.

Pjsprojects

Well I guess refund or wait for patch.

Im getting the well known problem of "Could Not Write Crash Dump" when trying to load the game and its not drivers,virus checkers,overlays,ReLive or the game reading any onboard gpu by error.

Not a happy gamer...

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely waiting on this one, I know I'm going to enjoy it and I want to experience it fully fixed up on my first run through, I don't want issues to ruin it for me.

nashman

Game runs fine EXCEPT when i try to switch to 1440p. Screen zooms in get kinda blurry and freezes for 5 seconds then defaults back to 1080.

Looks clean AF in 1080 so Ill play it like that till its patched. Maybe its already in 1440? im getting 95-125 fps so Im not sure.

On a I7-7700 with a gtx1080 16gigs ddr4

nkarafo

Using Windows 7 and older drivers (387.92)

i5 4670
1060 6GB
16GB

Game runs at stable 60+fps on Ultra settings/1080p. CPU and GPU usage seems low (lower than 60% for both). VRAM usage seems a bit high (4.4 GB)

Still, amazing performance so far. Although i'm only at the second mission.

flyshow

Ryzen 1700X and 1080Ti here. Performance wise it's not bad to me, running at 1440p maxed out on a GSync monitor with vsync off, framerates fluctuate a lot from 100 - 180 ish, but I don't see screen tearing.
It's the small things that bug me like I can't open steam overlay in the game and turning on vsync would limit fps to 60.

I can't set the game fullscreen, every time i try i get a black screen with some weird artifacts, i have to alt + enter to get back in the game.

Any ideas?

Ryzen 1700
16gb 3200mhz
GTX 970

i5 4670
1060 6GB
16GB

Game runs at stable 60+fps on Ultra settings/1080p. CPU and GPU usage seems low (lower than 60% for both). VRAM usage seems a bit high (4.4 GB)

Still, amazing performance so far. Although i'm only at the second mission.

I have the same build as you, and the first mission ran perfectly, but I've just started getting noticeable frame drops on the second mission (and I'm on Medium 1080p). Hopefully installing newest drivers will help.

Pasedo

Hey guys. In your opinion how many years will my gtx 1070 laptop with 16gb ram i7 6700 capped at 60fps but at all setting including AA maxed last this way on new releases? I havent tested Wolf 2 yet but Im sure I can hit this. Most recent game I bought is shadows of war and I can hit this no probs.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
How's the game feel with controller on PC?

It's definitely the way I want to play (4K, comfy couch, etc), as long as it's got the snappy feel like on the consoles, I'm in on this version - otherwise may consider PS4 (rather not though).

Elsolar

Playing on a GTX 970, I noticed a huge difference in framerate when toggling "Volumetric Quality" between medium and high. If you're having problems with the game's frame rate tanking to ~45ish randomly, turning that down might help. Didn't seem to have a huge impact on image quality.

The stuff about requiring an i7 made my old i5-2500k nervous, but I've been getting great performance so far. I'm running at high settings at 1080p and hovering around 90fps with my GTX 970, no sweat. I'll probably bump up settings next session, see how it goes, but I'm extremely happy with how it looks and runs as of now.

Unfortunately the game is definitely a little buggy. Any alt-tabbing literally requires me to reboot my PC, and the Steam overlay doesn't work at all. Not sure if this is Nvidia or Bethesda's fault, but it's a shame such an otherwise amazing experience has to be saddled with dumb launch issues like this.

How's the game feel with controller on PC?

It's definitely the way I want to play (4K, comfy couch, etc), as long as it's got the snappy feel like on the consoles, I'm in on this version - otherwise may consider PS4 (rather not though).

It feels fine. If anything the controls are slightly tighter than in the New Order, which I just finished replaying yesterday. And since on PC you can quite easily exceed the 60fps cap of the console versions, input response is probably superior.

Carlius

Banned

Seems fucked.

*cough*

yup..getting the same issue.going above 1080p make my game hard lock my pc.

dogen

i5 4670
1060 6GB
16GB

VRAM use doesn't matter unless it's too high. It's there to improve performance, so you should expect games to exploit it as much as possible, not leave it sitting empty.

nkarafo

I have the same build as you, and the first mission ran perfectly, but I've just started getting noticeable frame drops on the second mission (and I'm on Medium 1080p). Hopefully installing newest drivers will help.
Maybe try the different AA options. Mine had the most expensive one as default but i changed it to TAA, the third option iirc. This is separate from the medium/high/ultra, etc presets.

holygeesus

Banned
99%

Gamegpu and pcgh benchmarks show a 980ti never dropping below 30fps in 4K

But why would you want to play this game at 30fps?

Good point! For some reason I thought the console versions were aiming for 30. Just wondered if I could get native 4K at the same FPS. Thanks though.

Steam reviews are harsh at the moment. Is it that bad? (performance-wise, I mean)

It bluescreened my PC once when I tried to alt-tab back into the game after tabbing out. And it crashed once after 3 hours consecutive play time when I was going to finish a level. Other than those two times, it has been solid for me.

I have zero complaints about general performance. Perfect frame times throughout all 10 hours, and it's running great at 3440x1440 with a GTX1080.

abracadaver

adding +r_disablesteamOverlay 0 to the launch options makes the steam overlay work again

not sure why we have to do this

edit: it's already in the OP. Didn't see it

Ravelle

Set all me AA and the likes to 2X and the game seems to be running now but I still see it dip in frames during in-game scenes at random moments. Really weird.

FHIZ

Finally got the game working last night after the second instillation of nvidia’s hot fix drivers, but now the issue is I gamble every time I die and try to reload, sometimes it works, sometimes it freezes the game. Considering in hairy situations, you can die pretty quickly and hardly have any time to look st the bottom of the screen to see how low your health is, this can be quite annoying.

Huh, game works perfectly fine with GeForce 385.69, but after installing 388.0 it keeps completely freezing my PC before main menu show up. Had to switch back to old drivers because of this issue, performance overall is okay on my rig anyway, 4K 60FPS with everything autodetects on Ultra + TSSAA (8TX), looks like CPU and RAM doesn't affect performance much, i'm on i5-3570k and DDR3 8gb.

FHIZ

Huh, game works perfectly fine with GeForce 385.69, but after installing 388.0 it keeps completely freezing my PC before main menu show up. Had to switch back to old drivers because of this issue, performance overall is okay on my rig anyway, 4K 60FPS with everything autodetects on Ultra + TSSAA (8TX), looks like CPU and RAM doesn't affect performance much, i'm on i5-3570k and DDR3 8gb.

388.10 is a hot fix you need to manually download from Nvidia that's supposed to address the game specifically. It helped me a bit after a few attempts. There's supposed to be a full driver release early next week to further address issues.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Hey guys. In your opinion how many years will my gtx 1070 laptop with 16gb ram i7 6700 capped at 60fps but at all setting including AA maxed last this way on new releases? I havent tested Wolf 2 yet but Im sure I can hit this. Most recent game I bought is shadows of war and I can hit this no probs.

Id say at least 3 years, As long as the base of development is xbox one your PC will be able to run games like u desire.
About a year after both next gen consoles are out is when you will come into problems.
If next gen consoles are 12-18tflops gpu, 8 core ryzen notebook cpu and about 20gb of ram, you might be able to run next gen games at low to medium settings @1080p with similar framerates to the console versions, however you vould probably beat there performance with a gpu and ram upgrade.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've removed "Disable head bobbing" from the OP as there are reports of it causing problems in instances where the game attempts to adjust the camera.

Edit: Re-added with a note.

nkarafo

Which area is the most demanding so far? Could be useful for testing there.

That ”Evas Hammer" hub area looks incredibly detailed and dense. Still runs smooth for me there.

posted before about this destroying my 780, and it still kinda does in parts, buuuut this game actually hates my multiple monitors.

theyre different refresh rates, maybe thats it? anyway game was crashing constantly for me and fps below 20 even on low with no AA. not even 720p helped it. turned off my other monitors and now 60 with drops to around 50, on low with aa, at 1080p.

either way a 1060 sounds really nice right now.

Top Bottom