• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus PC performance thread

FHIZ

, buuuut this game actually hates my multiple monitors..

This.

I just decided to unplug my second monitor (that wasn't even on) and now problem I had with the game freezing every time I reloaded a save or came out of a cut scene is no more.

????????

But sure, whatever... it seems to be working fine right now.

So, based on my experience with Nvidia and G sync stuff... Download the hot fix drivers manually from Nvidia. Disable Gsync when you start the game, change your resolution, quit, re-enable Gsync, start the game. Unplug any extra monitors.

Jesus Christ. Playing with i5 4670k, 1060 6GB, and 16GB RAM.

Performance for this game is ALL OVER THE PLACE. Some missions can have as much chaos as possible going on and still manage a smooth 60, while the shootout in the
courtroom
leaves my framerate constantly hovering around 25-30. Really frustrating.

Which area is the most demanding so far? Could be useful for testing there.

That “Evas Hammer” hub area looks incredibly detailed and dense. Still runs smooth for me there.

I'm about halfway through and the only area that dropped the dynamic resolution for me was
the boss fight area against the robot in NYC. Huge vertical environment with very little opportunity for engine culling, lots of special lighting, tons of enemies running around when you trigger the alarm.
But it's also such a worst case scenario in my experience that it might be too aggressive a choice for benchmarking general game options.

FWIW I've had no crashes as long as I don't alt-tab.

Pjsprojects

Managed to get this game working after a lot of hassle.
With the older R9 AMD cards some trigger a bug in the newer drivers that locks the cards to 150mhz mem and 300mhz core,so if resetting the driver does not work your left with using ten month old drivers.
This game needs something thats built into the newest driver and the Bethesda launcher to run.
So right now I have my ten month old driver running and the Bethesda launcher installed.

On R9-290X & FX8350 with everything at high and a couple of bits at ultra running 2560x1080 I'm getting 65 - 80ish fps and no crashes.

The game looks great and plays well so I guess I should be 😂

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Managed to get this game working after a lot of hassle.
With the older R9 AMD cards some trigger a bug in the newer drivers that locks the cards to 150mhz mem and 300mhz core,so if resetting the driver does not work your left with using ten month old drivers.
This game needs something thats built into the newest driver and the Bethesda launcher to run.
So right now I have my ten month old driver running and the Bethesda launcher installed.

On R9-290X & FX8350 with everything at high and a couple of bits at ultra running 2560x1080 I'm getting 65 - 80ish fps and no crashes.

The game looks great and plays well so I guess I should be 😂

The game doesn't use the Bethesda launcher.

JaseC

I know but it may have something in it that is also in the newest AMD drivers. I don't see any other way my game could suddenly start working on the older drivers.

I assure you that if you were to uninstall the Bethesda launcher, the game would still work. If it were required to any extent, it would be included with the game data and installed as part of the first-run setup process.

Pjsprojects

I assure you that if you were to uninstall the Bethesda launcher, the game would still work. If it were required to any extent, it would be included with the game data and installed as part of the first-run setup process.

Well if your 100% sure then fair enough. No idea why the game suddenly started working after I installed the Bethesda launcher.

Very odd.

JaseC

Well if your 100% sure then fair enough. No idea why the game suddenly started working after I installed the Bethesda launcher.

Very odd.

PC gaming wouldn't be PC gaming if you didn't occasionally experience something strange, haha. Back when I had a pair of 670s, I once had a problem with mild graphical corruption that, after a fair amount of Googling, I eventually solved by switching the SLI bridge around. There's absolutely no reason why that should have worked, but it did.

I don't know, game works perfectly fine for me in 4K with everything on ultra and TSSAA (8TX), I'm getting rocksolid 60 FPS, at least during first levels.

Takuan

Been playing at Mein Leben settings and it seems like I'm getting a smooth 60 at 1080p.

i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz
16GB

Game looks pretty tight. The faces are a bit dated, but that's a minor quibble.

I haven't played the other games - are they as brutal as this one? The flashback sequence and
the scene when you turn yourself into the lady nazi
were unsettling.

dr_rus

Can someone explain:

-Deferred Rendering
-GPU Culling
-Async Compute

Thanks.

What explanation do you need?

DR switches the rendering approach but this doesn't do much since the game is built for forward+ mostly. Seem to introduce a tiny performance hit on all h/w.

GPU culling runs triangle culling on GPU's compute shaders. This is mostly useless on modern GPUs (Kepler+, Polaris+) but can possibly be of some help on old GCN cards due to their weak geometry pipelines.

Async compute is just that. Pascal is the only GPU family where you can toggle it, it's always off on Maxwell and prior and always on on AMD's cards. On Pascal it results in a small performance gain at around +5%.

Game runs great on my system @High settings.
R5 1600X @Stock
Fury Nitro
3440x1440
Crimson 17.10.3

Mostly locked 75fps.

At Ultra and above settings I get problems with the limited VRAM.

JaseC

Just posting this here so I can link to it in the OP:

Paragon said:
You're right, it does. It has to be set via launch commands, but these settings control the resolution scaling:
Code:
rs_debug                         "0"
rs_debugView                     "0"
rs_display                       "0"
rs_dropFraction                  "0.05"
rs_dropFrames                    "16"
rs_dropMilliseconds              "16.5"
rs_enable                        "0"
rs_forceFractionX                "0"
rs_forceFractionY                "0"
rs_minimumResolutionScale        "0.7"
rs_raiseFraction                 "0.06"
rs_raiseFrames                   "5"
rs_raiseMilliseconds             "16.0"
rs_showResolutionChanges         "0"

To change the target from 60 you would use: 1000 ÷ <desired framerate>
It looks like rs_raiseMilliseconds should be set to 96% of that value, and rs_dropMilliseconds should be set to 99% of that value.
Or perhaps it would be best to set rs_raiseMilliseconds 0.5ms lower than rs_dropMilliseconds. The mission that I'm currently on is indoors and not demanding at all so I can't really test it, as it's not dropping below 90 even with resolution scaling disabled.
rs_minimumResolutionScale can be set lower than 0.7 if you care more about performance than image quality.

So for 90 FPS, you would launch the game with:
Code:
+rs_enable 1 +rs_raiseMilliseconds 10.7 +rs_dropMilliseconds 11

The game is unplayable for me after the lastest game update... performance is 60-80% worse.

Ah well at least I have other things to play in the mean time

Whenever I kill one of the fire-breathing mechanical dogs, I get a giant black square where I assume the explosion particles are supposed to be. Anybody else getting this?

Is Vsync fucked in this? I keep getting tearing even with borderless, Vsync switched on. What the hell.

it is for me, ive completely given up on trying to figure what the hell is going on with vsync in this game.

some scenes tear, some dont, and it seems like on, off, adaptive, borderless window, full screen in any combination make little to no difference.

NeoRaider

What explanation do you need?

DR switches the rendering approach but this doesn't do much since the game is built for forward+ mostly. Seem to introduce a tiny performance hit on all h/w.

GPU culling runs triangle culling on GPU's compute shaders. This is mostly useless on modern GPUs (Kepler+, Polaris+) but can possibly be of some help on old GCN cards due to their weak geometry pipelines.

Async compute is just that. Pascal is the only GPU family where you can toggle it, it's always off on Maxwell and prior and always on on AMD's cards. On Pascal it results in a small performance gain at around +5%.

Thanks.

Is Vsync fucked in this? I keep getting tearing even with borderless, Vsync switched on. What the hell.

I am not sure what kind of Vsync it is but many players are reporting much lower FPS with Vysnc ON compared to OFF. And with Vsync OFF, there is huge screen tearing for everyone.

cat-party

Neo Member
Game still runs and looks like absolute shit for me even after the patches.

Really disappointed because Doom ran perfectly and I guess I just expected at least similar performance given it's running on the same engine.

Gitaroo

Game still runs and looks like absolute shit for me even after the patches.

Really disappointed because Doom ran perfectly and I guess I just expected at least similar performance given it's running on the same engine.

Nvidia? Doom runs fine with openGL right out of the gate, when they patched in vulkan, it runs like garbage on older nvidia card like Maxwell. W2 is Vulkan only does not help.

dcx4610

Anyone getting little white spots in certain dark areas? I noticed the same thing in Resident Evil 7.

My card isn't overheating and the frame rate is good. Is this just due to AA, texture issues or is something else going on?

Em3112

Neo Member
I7 6700K
GTX 1070
16 GIG ram

Constant 144/145FPS on 1080P Ultra.
No single slowdown seen just like Doom.

I hope it stays this way.

Taggen86

Insane that it is still not possible to run the game in 4k using a 4k tv with v-sync enabled without the hideous black screen tearing using the new driver or the new wolfenstein patch. However, you can run it in a resolution very close to 4k (as long as it is not 2160p). I run it in 1944p which gives me a 60 fps lock all the time. However, the sub 4k resolution is not a big deal since I was unable to run the game in 2160p using the ultra setting without drops anyways using my GTX 1080.

BTW has anyone been able to run the game without drops or stutter in 4k using a gtx 1080? If so, what settings do u use? I ran doom easily in 4k at the highest settings, but wolfenstein seems to be more demanding.

Taggen86

It is due to aliasing I think. Turn on temporal anti aliasing and you should not see any white spots anymore (also applies to resident evil)

Anyone getting little white spots in certain dark areas? I noticed the same thing in Resident Evil 7.

My card isn't overheating and the frame rate is good. Is this just due to AA, texture issues or is something else going on?

dr_rus

Yeah Nvidia, does that mean I'm pretty much out of luck?

Which card?

General tips are: disable async compute if its enabled, it's prone to crashing the whole PC as it is right now while give a very minor boost for Pascal cards; if you're on a 4GB card, make sure that image streaming option is at a lower end of possible values.

Shader instrinsics used for amd but not nvidia is the big thing

Isn't it funny how they completely ignored NV's shader intrinsics again in Wolf2?

0racle

I7 6700
Pny 1080oc
16 gb

2580x1080 ultra settings

My monitor locks at 60 and its flawless except for one area in one mission it dropped.

since launch as soon as I select 4k it crashes the PC, everything else runs fine and Wolfenstein runs great at 1080p on my 1080gtx but 4k just shuts it down as soon as I apply it

Which card?

General tips are: disable async compute if its enabled, it's prone to crashing the whole PC as it is right now while give a very minor boost for Pascal cards; if you're on a 4GB card, make sure that image streaming option is at a lower end of possible values.

Isn't it funny how they completely ignored NV's shader intrinsics again in Wolf2?

I expected it. It was never added to doom afterall. Its like AMDs gameworks only much better

Top Bottom