• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1 Elite Controller ($150)

Hedgey

Hopefully not. My AA batteries last longer than either of my DS4s, DS3s, or even the rechargeable 360 kits.

A bit off-topic, but what kind of batteries do you use?
I just can't wrap my head around the idea of using and paying for batteries in 2015.
However, it seems to be a popular opinion so it's good that MS is meeting demand.

molnizzle

Wait, if you can swap out the sticks and d-pad does that mean you can swap their locations? Like could I swap the left stick with the d-pad and finally have symmetrical analogs on an Xbox?

Deku Tree

Think of slide shotgunning in Destiny for example. Not having to stop your aim to hit the slide button is great.

Basically not moving your thumbs off of look/move controls.

It can become a real advantage in multiplayer games.

for example, drop shotting in Call of Duty without taking your hands of the thumbsticks.

That's why it's geared towards the "pros". So this controller is geared more towards online players.

Because when you play as Nero in DMC4SE you'll be able to always have your handgun charging with ease, duuuh

So it's like a Scuf controller with four paddles instead of two?

I bet this controller is going to be pricey. At least $150.

Qassim

I just can't wrap my head around the idea of using and paying for batteries in 2015.
However, it seems to be a popular opinion so it's good that MS is meeting demand.

I use the rechargeable pack that Microsoft sell for the controller. Not having the batteries built in is better because:

1) The life of your controller is not linked to the substantially shorter life of batteries.
2) You can quickly swap batteries (AA or rechargeable packs).

The only real legitimate argument for me against this approach is that Microsoft don't include the rechargeable pack. They should, by default, include the rechargeable (and removable) battery pack with every wireless Xbox One controller.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Likely used the Xbox One proprietary receiver coming out soon, hence the Windows 10 exclusivity.

Those back paddles...definitely grabbing one for PC - though if that toggle lets it switch between Windows and Xbox One without need for a resync, it would be the most convenient controller ever.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Uses normal batteries or recharge pack, remapping is via a slick app on bone or pc

It's incredible. I love it

WarpathDC

I wonder how this will affect competitive balance online? Looks great though. Can't wait to use this for forza 6,halo 5 and all my pc games

willow ve

I use Eneloops or Amazon Basic NiMH rechargeable AA batteries. For me they outlast all the built in battery backs that have come with controllers over the years.

And you get the added benefit of everything seems to need AA batteries (remote controls for TV, Roku, baby monitor, thermometer, clocks, etc.) I just bought another 8 pack of Amazon Basics.

aravuus

Need to be able to give it a try somewhere before I decide on getting one, since it'll probably be pretttty expensive in Finland, but this might just be the next pad I get for my PC gaming

someday

Banned
I tested one of these many months ago. I'm so glad they went with it! It takes a bit of getting used to but it will definitely be a game changer, especially in online play. I will be buying one.

npa189

Glad I didn't go with the Steam Controller, this just seems much better, those paddles will be awesome for shifting and reloading, we finally never need to take our fingers off the sticks again. I hope we will be able to switch between xbox and PC without re-syncing.

molnizzle

People are overlooking the paddles' usefulness as modifier keys too.

With a decent Xpadder profile you could play World of Warcraft on that motherfucker without sacrificing any of your action bars.

O_O

ERMint13

I wonder how this will affect competitive balance online? Looks great though. Can't wait to use this for forza 6,halo 5 and all my pc games

It will have a benefit for FPS games.

So now if I want an X1 and am looking at any FPS I need this controller or I will be at a disadvantage.

It may be a small disadvantage but in competitive game modes that can make a huge difference over the course of the match.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
People are overlooking the paddles' usefulness as modifier keys too.

With a decent Xpadder profile you could play World of Warcraft on that motherfucker without sacrificing any of your action bars.

O_O

My WoW config for the 360 controller when I played at launch was nutty. This would've been a godsend back then, those padds acting as shift keys will make any MMO easy to play without requiring ridiculous reflexes.

Acrylic7

Finally a controller with more buttons.
Now, hopefully we can get console games that expand beyond just graphics. More input options for gamers can be big if someone steps up to the plate.

Jinkies

I just bought the Steam Controller, but this looks great.

So many gamepad options. Oculus Touch, Steam, Elite, DS4. It's overwhelming.

Eneloops. I can go for about a week or two before they need to be swapped/recharged.

Ruruja

The addition of paddles is just amazing. Makes you wonder why it took so long to happen.

Definitely gonna pick one of these up to replace my 360 controller for PC.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's copying the Steam controller's "back touch"/triggers. Which is pretty interesting. I wonder if that idea is really a good thing if MS is starting to copy it.

Top Bottom