• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One TV Integration is apparently 'broken' For UK & Europe: Sky 50Hz Stutter

Rainy Dog

Agreed. I'd rather take the 4.2% speed up of 50hz than have to deal with the judder of 60hz. 60hz is garbage - at least 50hz is smooth.

You only get NTSC judder on 24fps content pulldowned to 30fps.

Native 30/60fps content displayed at 60hz is marginally smoother than 25/50fps content at 50hz.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Isn't it about time we all start using 60 hz?

Actually, it would be easier for games and the dash to support 50Hz. with the potential upside that more games might work at 50hz if they can't quite manage 60

This is messed up though. For the occasional use of snapped TV it might be OK, but MS want you to watch all your live TV like this? Smh

twofold

Native 30/60fps content displayed at 60hz is marginally smoother than 25/50fps content at 50hz.

Yeah, which is fine for games running at 30/60 frames but awful for 24 fps content like movies and television shows. I'd rather watch 24 fps content with a 4.2% speed up and no judder than have to deal with the headaches of 3:2 pulldown.

Actually, it would be easier for games and the dash to support 50Hz. with the potential upside that more games might work at 50hz if they can't quite manage 60

This is messed up though. For the occasional use of snapped TV it might be OK, but MS want you to watch all your live TV like this? Smh

Actually, that's a really good point. Why don't games have 50hz support? I imagine games like Killzone that manage 50fps easily but struggle to maintain a consistent 60 would benefit quite a bit. Hmm.

Jezbollah

I think this was likely a "Known shippable" - and may probably get repaired somewhere down the line. I'll bet it gets fixed whenever Microsoft decides to give a shit about the UK/Europe TV functionality.

Need to subscribe to a Xbox One firmware/System Update thread if it exists here. That'll be interesting to read into the next few months.

KDR_11k

My PC runs at 85Hz...

If anyone's wondering, the 50/60 Hz thing historically comes from the frequency on the power grid, PAL countries have 50Hz AC while the US has 60Hz AC. I suppose that mattered in the days of electron tubes. Kinda silly that HD in Europe hasn't gone up to 60Hz considering it uses the same resolutions as it does in the US (PAL is higher resolution than NTSC, 576i vs 480i) but if cable providers smell a chance to get away with delivering a lesser service they tend to do that...

Rourkey

Just been playing with it myself, yes things scrolling at the bottom of the screen aren't smooth, I wouldn't say its a bad as judder though.

Watched some football and American football trying too see issues with panning but couldn't really notice even though I was looking for it, might help having a panasonic plasma?

I guess the alternative is for the dashboard to output at 50hz but this would mean the tv handshaking again when you switched to a game so you'd lose the smoothness of flicking between apps (which is awesome by the way)

Yep. Metric is miles better. ;)

mNMk2ts.png

Rourkey

My PC runs at 85Hz...

If anyone's wondering, the 50/60 Hz thing historically comes from the frequency on the power grid, PAL countries have 50Hz AC while the US has 60Hz AC. I suppose that mattered in the days of electron tubes. Kinda silly that HD in Europe hasn't gone up to 60Hz considering it uses the same resolutions as it does in the US (PAL is higher resolution than NTSC, 576i vs 480i) but if cable providers smell a chance to get away with delivering a lesser service they tend to do that...

Guess customers wouldn't be happy if the tv had to handshake every time you switched between hd and sd content?

J.W.Crazy

what? no
compared to american TV signal 50hz PAL is way superior.
The blurry mess is the ntsc signal.

that's the first time I heard that claim

Sometimes you don't notice how bad things look until you've seen something better and then it can be hard to go back. I never really noticed anything but motion judder at 60Hz until I started using a 120Hz monitor. Now 60Hz appears extremely blurry and the judder is worse. Sometimes it's bad enough to give me a headache. Keep in mind this isn't motion interpolation but an actual 120Hz display.

The PAL vs. NTSC argument is irrelevant for a modern console like the Xbox One isn't it? It's going to more than likely display 720p or 1080p regardless of broadcast standards.

Does this come out worse than watching something through iplayer on your 60hz machine? I can understand there can be differences in the way it's processed but I'm curious how bad it can be.
Off topic: I just noticed some judder on certain scenes in Countyfile (live, no xbone) I think they must have had one camera at the wrong fps.

Tsundere

Banned
Everyone should have been very cautious and wary of dropping $500 on a console from Microsoft that had embargoes and NDAs on all of its features/non-features until a day or two before launching.

Interesting. Yeah this is going to be a problem for snapped TV over there as they said in the bottom portion of the quoted text. If the input is 50hz and the game is running at 60hz then you can only display one refresh rate.

The question is how did they not see this in testing? Seems like it would be pretty easy to find in QA.

Yes this is glaring oversight. Im guessing that they assumed that they wouldnt have this issue as our tvs are native 50hz over component/scart.

It was a predictable problem to have, there simply is no perfect solution to it. Maybe something can be done to smooth it out a little if they have spare processing. I guess blending certain frames together would help but I'm not sure how it looks.

Most US TV content worth watching is 24fps though. Obviously not sports, reality or news, but all the scripted stuff is, whether it's something like Big Bang or Homeland.

Unless Pal 50 dies completely, this won't change because broadcasters in Europe aren't willing to give up their legacy content, or god forbid, invest money to adapt it.

Raist

Banned
To be fair, MS couldn't have done anything against this overall, although in some instances they could perfectly have the console output at 50Hz.

why are HD broadcasts in 50hz there? that should have been the perfect time to jump ship...

Because cinema, and germans.

I had no idea PAL ran at 50hz. I guess all television in Europe is like a fucking slideshow.

Haha. You do realize most content is shot at 24FPS, right? The slideshow joke's on you.

twofold

I had no idea PAL ran at 50hz. I guess all television in Europe is like a fucking slideshow.

What?

Unless Pal 50 dies completely, this won't change because broadcasters in Europe aren't willing to give up their legacy content, or god forbid, invest money to adapt it.

48hz support should have been bundled in with the 720p and 1080p spec. 50hz and 60 hz should have been dropped a long time ago. The sooner we get rid of PAL speedup and 3:2 pulldown, the better.

why are HD broadcasts in 50hz there? that should have been the perfect time to jump ship...

To what? 60hz is terrible (easily worse than 50hz), and too few TVs support 48hz.

Or perhaps the US could have jumped ship to 50hz?

In reality, it's all the legacy content and cameras etc. All upscaled stuff on HD channels would have been judder hell. Also, as explained earlier, 50hz treats US scripted TV shows and movies better than 60hz due to speed-up instead of pulldown.

50hz doesn't cause any issues at all outside of Xbox One so why on earth would it needed to have changed?

Annoying that they overlooked this.

Just enable a 50hz setting so everything is 50hz.

Make it optional done.

I might be going crazy, but surely that would mess up online multiplayer timings? Won't they have to create a 50hz only server for UK games? Or make it so you can only use Snap in offline games.

Or it'll be the return of borders for PAL regions.

satam55

Banned
Once again to remind folks, there's reasons Google TV flopped. HDMI cablebox passthrough is last-gen tech. Google TV OEM's are no longer supporting it. The future is IPTV & DLNA Premium video.

Lyriell

Same thing happening here in Australia.

Also seems to apply some horrible image processing that turns the 1080i Foxtel movies into poop.

RdN

It's broken in Brazil too.

Doesn't work well the the biggest cable operator. Every time you turn off the console, the cable box freezes.

I might be going crazy, but surely that would mess up online multiplayer timings? Won't they have to create a 50hz only server for UK games? Or make it so you can only use Snap in offline games.

Or it'll be the return of borders for PAL regions.

pretty sure most of them are async now considering they'd have to account for differing latencies/bandwidths

in either case I think that'd be less obvious than visual judder

agm2502

The TV feature hasn't been advertised here in the UK as far as i'm aware, other than when it has been shown at the reveal/E3 which were American events primarily. I don't think they really intend the TV feature to be big in Europe. At least not yet anyway.

nampad

I was about to ask this after launch because I thought Monty Mole's thread was very interesting. Congratulations on calling it, well done.

There was no snap so the TV output was at 50Hz in PlayTV and when you switched out of PlayTV the PS3 set its output back to 60Hz I guess.

I liked PlayTV but don't get MS TV integration. Instead of integrating a tuner they just have an HDMI in.

What?

48hz support should have been bundled in with the 720p and 1080p spec. 50hz and 60 hz should have been dropped a long time ago. The sooner we get rid of PAL speedup and 3:2 pulldown, the better.

Judging from my experience as to how willing european broadcasters are about spending money into improving their broadcast standards/archiving-providing solutions, (read cuts rather than investments) this won't happen for another 10 years, and by then they'll need to support 720p 50hz. And that's if by some fucking miracle the incompetent fools running broadcasters across Europe can fucking come together and actually agree on something.

I think you should compare north american NTSC-TV-broadcasts to European ones of some sport events in the pre HD-Era, before making comments on the quality of the lower-framerate pal standard (I always was fine with colors looking natural and higher resolution due to 20% more scan lines). Even HiFi fanatics in the US referred to NTSC meaning "never the same color".

But now what I really wanted to say is:
I'm fine with no TV-snap in PAL-regions. What I'm NOT fine with being unable to choose the language in certain games! Back when I still had an Xbox360 I could just set the system language to english and it played games in english (if it was on the disc), NOW (maybe this is not new to most people, but I haven't had a MS console for 3 years)... NOW the language is tied to a region, a region the store is tied to, a store that tells me I can't buy shit, because it knows my set region is not where I am because my IP-adress (and credit card) says otherwise.

I really can't live with shitty translations forced on me. I'm getting a PS4 as well and until MS has fixed the language selection problem, I won't go XBLGold and will get my games on the PS4.

mrlovepump

Neo Member
call me mr sourpuss but this just clicked for me

I very sadly believe MS knew this. This is why they focused on tv for the US (obvious one) and Japan (strange market to attack given they have no hope).

I cannot help but feel they knew this was a problem and have been effectively selling xbox ones in Europe based on false promises. If you get into foil hat mode many of the deflections about TV in Europe now make way more sense.

There is simply no way to mix a 50 and 60hz image in a nice way. They are not going to push the games to 50hz and the TV source sure as hell isnt going to move away from 50hz any time soon.... hmmmm.

Top Bottom