• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One TV Integration is apparently 'broken' For UK & Europe: Sky 50Hz Stutter

mrlovepump

Neo Member
I'm fine with no TV-snap in PAL-regions.

It's all cool not caring about the feature but the real crime, and what's upsetting me is that many people believe they are getting this and MS will never be able to deliver it. This is misleading selling and MS just should of been straight with buyers in PAL territories from the get go about this.

LAA

Ouch... just further shows X1 is for the US primarily..

Wouldn't matter for me anyway personally if I got it, nothing like Sky in my room, it'd just be gaming/internet stuff.

madmackem

Yep its utter shit, tried watching football through it, its complete judder fest. The feature is complete useless as you also NEED the xbox on. People arent going to want to do that.

It's all cool not caring about the feature but the real crime, and what's upsetting me is that many people believe they are getting this and MS will never be able to deliver it. This is misleading selling and MS just should of been straight with buyers in PAL territories from the get go about this.

Sony has done this too in the past. There were TV features on the PSP that never worked in other regions afaik, and Sony "got away" with that too.

The main problem however is that Microsoft held a separate conference to showcase all the TV features (up to the point where it was always presented as a TV box rather than a console), and now clearly fails to deliver in that department. Well, at least for the European market. :)

mrlovepump

Neo Member
Hey I am happy to bash either side as and when they are in the wrong. But yeah this is pretty fundamental to my mind. I believe it's enough of an issue to warrant a refund under not as advertised.

Jezbollah

The TV feature hasn't been advertised here in the UK as far as i'm aware, other than when it has been shown at the reveal/E3 which were American events primarily. I don't think they really intend the TV feature to be big in Europe. At least not yet anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2H5EZK3mEM

This is the current Xbox One advert being shown in the UK.

At 1m 07 of the commercial, Steven Gerrard scores a goal on the TV functionality, and the fan's friend calls him on Skype. It say's TV as the feature.

I would call that advertised.

Pingoreous

Films are 24hz so what we need is multiples of 24. Theater projectors have been doing this for years to eliminate judder and the rainbow effect that some people see. So the projectors are run at 48hz to 72hz and so on. Multiples of 24hz.

mrlovepump

Neo Member
Films are 24hz so what we need is multiples of 24. Theater projectors have been doing this for years to eliminate judder and the rainbow effect that some people see. So the projectors are run at 48hz to 72hz and so on. Multiples of 24hz.

Still transmitted at 50hz in PAL territories due to old TVs. You will find the TV/DVD version is actually shorter than the blu-ray version as they speed them up to 25fps.

The only Blu - ray is internationalized at 24fps.

spwolf

Sony has done this too in the past. There were TV features on the PSP that never worked in other regions afaik, and Sony "got away" with that too.

The main problem however is that Microsoft held a separate conference to showcase all the TV features (up to the point where it was always presented as a TV box rather than a console), and now clearly fails to deliver in that department. Well, at least for the European market. :)

big difference was that Sony never sold its TV PS3/PSP features outside of the markets where they worked.

Where XB1 is selling its TV feature and none of the reviews covered any of the issues with it.

If Jeff Gertsmann's quick look on the Xbone TV stuff is any indication, it's broken in the US, too. There's nothing about this TV stuff that I want any part of.

agm2502

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2H5EZK3mEM

This is the current Xbox One advert being shown in the UK.

At 1m 07 of the commercial, Steven Gerrard scores a goal on the TV functionality, and the fan's friend calls him on Skype. It say's TV as the feature.

I would call that advertised.

Haven't seen that advert so my mistake. Kinda shady of them if it really is a bad experience watching the tv picture through Xbox, wonder if Albert or Major Nelson will chime in on this.

mrlovepump

Neo Member
Where XB1 is selling its TV feature and none of the reviews covered any of the issues with it.

I checked Eurogamer and it made me laugh they checked how the ps4 ran through it but not TV. ps4 being a 60hz source... It's almost like they knew but didn't want to pull MS up on the passthrough issues. Maybe I am just too witchhunty right now.

EGM1966

I checked Eurogamer and it made me laugh they checked how the ps4 ran through it but not TV. ps4 being a 60hz source... It's almost like they knew but didn't want to pull MS up on the passthrough issues. Maybe I am just too witchhunty right now.

It's pretty poor that no European sites have so far picked up on this (so far as I can tell) as you'd figure they'd be testing all aspects of the device.

Given the laughable response to the CoD bug that had PS4 in 720p for a while I'm not really convinced that they put in that much effort anymore - lot's of stuff they should be noticing is slipping right past them and making them look like idiots compared to the non-gaming sites or individuals picking this stuff up.

I was never too hot on videogame coverage/sites in the first place - mostly I find them very amateurish - but now? Seems little point unless they want to switch their brains and attention spans on and actually focus on the their jobs.

Hold on a minute.. Remember this?

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...ns-confirmed-only-for-usa-and-japan-at-launch

That seemed really weird at the time (Japan?)
But once you realise Japan has 60Hz TV it all becomes clear! Seems to me MS must definitely know about this, and are delaying One TV in 50Hz land until they figure out how to fix (or spin) it.

As is par for the course with MS, this knowledge does not seem to have filtered down to support. They are recommending people reboot their STBs...

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4277/t/1625096.aspx?PageIndex=1

Needed their own users to come in and explain the issue!

mrlovepump

Neo Member
I listen to some of the ign podcasts and the amount of times they let slip that they have known about something for weeks/months but have been under NDAs and the previous week they were actually having predicition talks etc about the same thing. It just gets a bit insulting. The mainstream gaming media are nothing more than puppets these days. They talk about what they are allowed to, there is no actual journalism, research etc.

Biker19

Banned
Once again to remind folks, there's reasons Google TV flopped. HDMI cablebox passthrough is last-gen tech. Google TV OEM's are no longer supporting it. The future is IPTV & DLNA Premium video.

Not to mention that Xbox One is the only device that supports HDMI In, & HDMI In will be irrelevant starting in June next year.

Pingoreous

Still transmitted at 50hz in PAL territories due to old TVs. You will find the TV/DVD version is actually shorter than the blu-ray version as they speed them up to 25fps.

The only Blu - ray is internationalized at 24fps.

Yeah, the issue is that 60hz and 50hz are not divisible by 24. So the patched-in solution increase framerate as you described and 24 pulldown among other things. Also there's a conspiracy theory that 60hz is the perfect refresh rate for MIND CONTROL. Lol

Actually I think DF went through various inputs and said they all worked fine(except 4k), but I can't find it right now.

mrlovepump

Neo Member
Think this was the one Graphics Horse

We hooked up a PS3, a PS4 and Xbox 360 with no problem whatsoever, in the process confirming that Xbox One accepts any HDMI format we could throw at it - 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p - at both 50 and 60Hz to boot. The machine then adjusts the image to match the Xbox One's chosen settings, upscaling as appropriate. While you can feed in other consoles, it's not the best idea to do so as there's a clear additional level of latency added to the display chain. It's not severe at all - you're unlikely to notice it skipping through channels using your remote - but it is definitely noticeable during gameplay.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-one-hardware-test

Jezbollah

Haven't seen that advert so my mistake. Kinda shady of them if it really is a bad experience watching the tv picture through Xbox, wonder if Albert or Major Nelson will chime in on this.

Hey, no worries :)

Both Xbox One and PS4 adverts have been quite elusive - being timed to certain TV events rather than put on at all times. I just remember the Gerrard goal being shown from the ad from my memory

Kosma

Banned
This is one of the xbox unique selling points, the fact it doesnt work in europe is laughable.

This is probably the only media feauture that was supposed to work here.

Thats how all the media is pushing the xbox, but really none of it works here. When will sites finally stop pushing the complete media box angle?

I refuse to believe they spent 8 years developing this thing. Its like they sat round a table before the unveil and thought NFL and COD would make it sell with no testing or market research.

Heck they acted surprised when there was a backlash to their original DRM plans and now we find out that they couldn't give a #### about one of their main selling points outside the US.

Even as a true xbox one, xbox 360, windows phone, surface and even Zune owner, I think the xbone is Microsofts biggest blunder to date.

Hold on a minute.. Remember this?

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...ns-confirmed-only-for-usa-and-japan-at-launch

That seemed really weird at the time (Japan?)
But once you realise Japan has 60Hz TV it all becomes clear! Seems to me MS must definitely know about this, and are delaying One TV in 50Hz land until they figure out how to fix (or spin) it.

As is par for the course with MS, this knowledge does not seem to have filtered down to support. They are recommending people reboot their STBs...

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4277/t/1625096.aspx?PageIndex=1

Needed their own users to come in and explain the issue!

From the japan tv thread:-

NTSC. Probably easier to work with one standard at a time.

As I said before, The XBOX "guide" is a bit pointless in the UK. Every freeview enabled TV (Basically all of them now) has this feature in someway or another. You can argue Kinect integration, but honestly, most people are happywith the button combo. "press red now" much be ingrained in the nations psyche at this point.

Pug

I have my Virgin Tivo box connected and I haven't noticed any drops, in fact I just watched match of the day (fantastic result for Cardiff by the way) and I saw no drops in any of the games shown, looks the same as when the Tivo was connected directly to my amp. Watching Soul men now again I haven't noticed any frame drops.

That explains why Americans are so patriotic where as we couldn't give a flying f**k about queen and country.

Or maybe that's just me :D

To be fair (yes I know you are joking but still) the Americans have to pledge alligence to the flag every day at school (or is it every other day?) while, modern Britain is built on a government that overthrew the monarchy but kept them around just as token gesture.

CLEEK

Xbox is just looking back at its heritage. Its a feature, not a bug.

They're turning TV broadcasts into PAL Halo CE.

AmericaBox gives no fucks about your crappy 50hz TV broadcasting Europe. If anything we're helping you by forcing you to upgrade into the 21st century. Be nice and maybe we'll show you how steam power works.

I'm being sarcastic.

Except about the steam power part.

Rich!

I have my Virgin Tivo box connected and I haven't noticed any drops, in fact I just watched match of the day (fantastic result for Cardiff by the way) and I saw no drops in any of the games shown, looks the same as when the Tivo was connected directly to my amp. Watching Soul men now again I haven't noticed any frame drops.

The problem with your statement there is that you're looking for frame drops. There won't be any, that isn't the issue here.

The issue is repeated frames to make up a 50hz signal to 60hz causing a juddering image

nampad

Integrating a worldwide tuner would be beyond impossible, and that's just for OTA, never mind digital, satellite or cable.

They have enough caps on the MB to sync up with all the worlds TV standards and capture it, hard to imagine them adding any more on.

They didn't had a problem making different consoles for each region before. Just limit it to digital and build in a triple tuner like in every HDTV released on the market today.
I know the TV market is fragmented as hell but that's their job to figure it out. And it's not like they have a problem with not supporting some features in some countries.

As a consumer, the HDMI passthrough solution is very undesirable for me.

Footos22

AmericaBox gives no fucks about your crappy 50hz TV broadcasting Europe. If anything we're helping you by forcing you to upgrade into the 21st century. Be nice and maybe we'll show you how steam power works.

I'm being sarcastic.

Except about the steam power part.

It's like steam power was never invented in the UK

CoG

Don't worry, I'm sure Major Nelson will come in here, apologize and say he's going to take it back to "the team".

Pug

The problem with your statement there is that you're looking for frame drops. There won't be any, that isn't the issue here.

The issue is repeated frames to make up a 50hz signal to 60hz causing a juddering image

I haven't seen the picture judder either whilst watching the TV although I will watch back the F1 coverage as I assume if the image is going to judder this will be the place you should spot it easily. I will say I have spotted juddering on X1 but only whilst watching the replay mode on Forza 5.

Top Bottom