• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xboxone Resolutiongate (Eurogamer)

Mr Moose

lol, Yoshida you legend

LOL I love Shu, we need more like him.

I just picture shu tweeting and then in his own head being all

suck_it_psych.gif

Aww man, when is Psych back on? It's been too long :( might re-watch last season

... I as am as watchful and alert to bullshit as anyone you meet...

Performance: I’m not dismissing raw performance. I’m stating – as I have stated from the beginning – that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…

#TRUTHFACT

thanks for your reply and you can say it 1000x and there will still be people who will keep saying "buh buh buh, the numbers that people told me matters" and never quite comprehend what you mean about the nuances of the architecture and how it will work for developers making the games and not some benchmarking tool.

As you said ignore them and let them fight their uphill battle as the games prove them wrong just as they did with 360

thanks for your input as always

I think we have the second coming of theKayle.

o4Zw4.gif

stryke

aren't you cute

Last I looked it's way too early to decide exactly how the games release over the next ten years will look and play until we get them home and until devs have time with the hardware

Strange, why didn't you say the same thing to Penello at the time? It works both ways genius.

Or has way too much time on their hands building an attack

Or maybe I call out bullshit when I see it, and clearly your bullshit detector is broken as any other fanboy we've come across on these forums.

QaaQer

This is why I have such a problem with a large number of the industry people on this site. They only stick to threads that concern their occupation and they are only there from a PR standpoint. I feel that having members that are entirely PR is not needed for this forum. People like Albert can stick to twitter.

There is also a huge tendency for reverence and kowtowing to any sort of microcelebrity on forums. I remember Steve Albini decided to create a second account on a hard core poker forum after tonnes of fans started signing up and shitting up every thread. Before he went anon he answered some questions in a thread, and one of the things he mentioned was how everyone treats you like your something special because you are a microcelebrity and hated that.

He also mentioned that all he can think about when he sees Sheryl Crow is whether or not she takes it in the can.

That's true. Gaming sites and journalists try to present themselves as unbiased sources and just fail miserably. Youtube personalites rarely bother

Presenting yourself as being unbiased is almost always a failure because no one is unbiased. Best to try and be aware of your own biases and try and conduct yourself as best you can, and hopefully, people'll believe you to be trustworthy, and hopefully you'll be worthy of that trust. It helps if you have other people around you of differing opinions willing to call you out on your shit, which you often don't see with said personalities if they are solo operations.

RedAssedApe

Banned
well we've had cboat and now kagari straight up calling out albert on his fud. anyone else of note i'm missing (besides almost everyone else on gaf) haha

nib95

Banned
scared of losing their free consoles/games/xboxlive if they say anything? No $300 Halo press swagbag if they dare speak negatively about xbox?

Those things are minor. Press invites, events, advertising revenue etc are far more important. The latter more than anything. A few people I know have sites that literally live or die on the advertising money.

Those things are minor. Press invites, events, advertising revenue etc are far more important. The latter more than anything. A few people I know have sites that literally live or die on the advertising money.
I'd rather those sites simply say "we're not discussing hardware performance because it's not our expertise" than give half-assed commentary.

Klocker

Strange, why didn't you say the same thing to Penello at the time? It works both ways genius.

Or maybe I call out bullshit when I see it, and clearly your bullshit detector is broken as any other fanboy we've come across on these forums.

What are you even talking about and who pissed in your Cheerios?

All i said for gods sake was Albert is a good sport and I miss the old, less cynical days of game launches. And I have seen many and this one sucks from both sides because of the cynicism.

it's called an informed opinion because I was there for all of the launches before this one.

There is also a huge tendency for reverence and kowtowing to any sort of microcelebrity on forums.

Reverence/Kowtowing of actual celebrities on forum is pathetic, imo.

"Oh, he who is normally beyond the reaches of mere mortal has descended onto this place to share his stories/wisdom/insights/behind-the-scenes look. We are not worthy~"

B.O.O.M

lol I'm sorry but the moment we were told that when he inquired about resolution info he was told 'you don't need to know' that's the moment I knew for certain it's all PR BS...no doubts whatsoever.

If people believed him..and thought he was being a 'good sport' by answering questions after all of that then I have no idea what to even tell you. Neogaf like places are part of the marketing/PR move, there's a reason why PR name drop gaf a lot these days and is the reason why we have users like Penello here.

The tactic all along has been putting seeds of doubt in the minds of gamers about hardware performance differences etc in the hopes that with time people will just get tired of it and move on. Sad thing is that's a clear sign those who came up with the notion have no clue how gamers are. The jokes we still make about Sony and their Pre PS3 launch antics is a good hint really. Gamers are like Elephants..we never forget.

Best way to handle the current xbone situation is just like CBOAT said, admit, be humble, stop fud and focus on your strengths.

stryke

All i said for gods sake was Albert is a good sport and I miss the old, less cynical days of game launches. And I have seen many and this one sucks from both sides because of the cynicism.

it's called an informed opinion because I was there for all of the launches before this one.

He's a good sport for spreading FUD now is he?

O

Like I said, I miss having expectations and calculating what the experience will or might be like and then getting it home and deciding for myself if it was fun or not.

I remember staring at the new SNES in an acrylic case until I could buy one waiting to put my hands on it. I had already read about the cool sound and the "3d" graphics chip in a Nintendo magazine. Nobody was there tweeting about Ninty lying to me. Telling me that the sound chip was actually just some crappy dsp taken from an old Sony tv. ;)

I got it home and decided it was ass kicking fun and looked sounded and played great games...

aren't you cute

Last I looked it's way too early to decide exactly how the games release over the next ten years will look and play until we get them home and until devs have time with the hardware

Aren't you cute, you expect the Xbox One to Improve while the PS4 stays stagnant. The difference in power will reamain the same throughout the generation. You're fucking quoted right there, and then just ignore what you wrote. Theres a noticeable difference between multiplatform games. Deal with it.

Mr Moose

He said that his "sources" told him that Ghosts would actually 720p on the PS4. The reason? Well, that's the best part. It was supposed to be 720p on the PS4 because PSN was having network difficulties so they dropped the resolution to fix it! Also, the day 1 PS4 patch will remove the DRM that Sony didn't tell you that the system had.

His source must be that MisterX guy, or he's just full of shit, either way...

http://minus.com/lFTE9G3acJz3A
Minus.com, sorry. Think you have to click (wasn't showing up when I linked it, anyway).

LOL someone tweeted that to Shu :D

For taking the beating from GAF, not for spreading FUD. Regardless of whether he's an evil MS PR man or not, the dude's still a human.

EDIT: Not defending his actions though.

If he's an evil MS PR man (which he most likely is) then it's literally his job to take the hits. Being a good sport has nothing to do with it.

Truespeed

What is this mythical "dGPU" I keep hearing desperate XB1 fanboys talking about? Does that stand for dual GPU? As in people think there are TWO GPUs in the XB1?

It's the dormant GPU located in their external power supply. They plan to light it up when Halo 5 is released.

nib95

Banned
I do feel bad for Albert, but you live by the sword...This is gamers wrath for being misled basically. I think made worse by the fact that most of us knew it was bollocks and saw the writing on the wall long ago..

Hoje0308

Banned

Informed opinion = double standards and credulity?

He's a good sport for spreading FUD now is he?

I wonder if he honest to god thought it would turn out different. Like he believed what his technical fellows were telling him at face value, even though they failed to mention

"that BTW, Albert, we created a few quandaries developers will have to overcome, so shit will probably be rough sailing at first".

Hey, now, he didn't HAVE to come here and lie to our faces. He chose to because he's a goodguybrochilldude.

But he did.

And the moment he did, he's no longer a goodguychilldude.

I have no issues with Penello toeing the company line and defending the merits of their product, but his actions of literally trying to spread fud of their competitor's specs/historical performance, on top of lying about their own product's performance... were less than appreciated.

Aren't you cute, you expect the Xbox One to Improve while the PS4 stays stagnant. The difference in power will reamain the same throughout the generation. You're fucking quoted right there, and then just ignore what you wrote. Theres a noticeable difference between multiplatform games. #Dealwithit.
Fixed that for you. Couldn't resist.

Hoje0308

Banned
O

Like I said, I miss having expectations and calculating what the experience will or might be like and then getting it home and deciding for myself if it was fun or not.

I remember staring at the new SNES in an acrylic case until I could buy one waiting to put my hands on it. I had already read about the cool sound and the "3d" graphics chip in a Nintendo magazine. Nobody was there tweeting about Ninty lying to me. Telling me that the sound chip was actually just some crappy dsp taken from an old Sony tv. ;)

I got it home and decided it was ass kicking fun and looked sounded and played great games...

This all sounds like the exact opposite of an informed opinion, which you claim to have.

Snubbers

I'm with you on this.. every generation has it's debate and cynicism, but this particular one has meant talk of games and actual hype for each is now lost in the noise..

FranXico

I wonder if he honest to god thought it would turn out different. Like he believed what his technical fellows were telling him at face value, even though they failed to mention

"that BTW, Albert, we created a few quandaries developers will have to overcome, so shit will probably be rough sailing at first".

I remember seeing in his job description that he is a product manager.

PMs should know what state the product is in. If his team failed to properly report him on the actual state of affairs as they should, then I am very sorry for his predicament, as that team lacks enough discipline to keep the PM in the loop.

Top Bottom