• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buzzkill of Science is at it again. Neil deGrasse Tyson VS The Force Awaken(SPOILER?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

massoluk

Banned
http://time.com/4157409/star-wars-neil-degrasse-tyson-force-awakens/
Famed astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson tried to ruin Star Wars on Twitter on Monday. In a series of tweets, Tyson offered scientific critiques after viewing the film, which debuted in theaters last week. There were only a few mild spoilers in the Twitter chat, but few took fondly to the scientist’s rebuke of beloved robot BB-8.

https://twitter.com/neiltyson

Unashamed of inanity, #TheForceAwakens repeats the Millennium Falcon boast of completing the Kessel Run in "under 12 parsecs"

In @StarWars #TheForceAwakens, the energy in a Star is enough to destroy ten-thousand planets, not just a few here & there.

In @StarWars #TheForceAwakens, if you were to suck all of a star’s energy into your planet, your planet would vaporize.
In @StarWars #TheForceAwakens, BB-8, a smooth rolling metal spherical ball, would have skidded uncontrollably on sand

In @StarWars #TheForceAwakens, BB-8 is waaaaay cuter than R2D2.

Geez Mr. Tyson. Thanks a ton.

Cheebo

Banned
Star Wars isn't sci-fi so I dont get the point of this. It's like pointing out the science mistakes of The Lord of the Rings.

Star Wars is 100% fantasy.

Come on. Nitpicking the softest science fiction in existence? Next he'll be telling me there isn't really a mystical Taoist force that pervades all living things and makes laser swords a good idea. Man, how'd he get so smart?

B33

Banned
Wow. A fantasy adventure movie set in space based on WWII imagery isn't scientifically accurate. Thanks, Neil.

Sliver

Wow, what revelatory insight. Truly one of the most brilliant minds of our time. Thanks Star Wars for bringing even more joy into our life. beep boop blorp

Star Wars isn't sci-fi so I dont get the point of this. It's like pointing out the science mistakes of The Lord of the Rings.

Star Wars is 100% fantasy.

I do not think this is a serious thing. He's just having fun, pretty sure he knows it's fantasy.

And it's worth doing to educate people on science.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
In @StarWars #TheForceAwakens, BB-8, a smooth rolling metal spherical ball, would have skidded uncontrollably on sand
didnt they actually build bb8? hes obviously not skidding uncontrollably

KarmaCow

I can't believe he seriously belaboured to dissemble Star Wars via a few short tweets, including the most outrageous of scientific fallacies, the cuteness of droids. What a fucking asshole.

Is he a buzzkill or is he just having fun being a buzzkill?

There's a difference. I wouldn't take any of this as actual critique, more just him taking friendly jabs at a popular thing.

The Boat

No one gets that the parsec record is about traveling through the shortest hyperspace route! Or at least, that's one way you can plug that hole :p

To be fair, the parsec thing always annoys me a bit. It's as nonsensical as "I completed it in 12 miles".

If you complete a marathon run in 12 miles, that means you took a shortcut. Han saying that he took a shortcut means that he's an excellent navigator who was able to find a better route than everyone else.

Wow.
If there's one thing I learned this weekend is that Star Wars is serious fucking business. lol

Thread starts with people thinking Neil's trying to "ruin" Star Wars. This is how precious some Star Wars fans are.

ejWdsmk.gif

Fury451

Banned
It's amazing how many people take his tweets on this at face value and get upset.

He's clearly just having some fun.

Tried to ruin???

Don't see how it's anything but fun jabbing at something that deserves fun jabbing at. Certainly enjoyed reading it and I hope he does this for more movies!

NDT has always done this over the years with movies. Granted, the parsecs usage in Star Wars is very lazy and doofy, no excuse, fiction or not.

Star Wars doesn't work off of consistent science anyway. The Force working entirely differently from the original trilogy is a much bigger issue.

KarmaCow

You shouldn't believe it. You know why?

(Is it because he actually likes Star Wars and other movies he's critiqued like Gravity?)

If you complete a marathon run in 12 miles, that means you took a shortcut. Han saying that he took a shortcut means that he's an excellent navigator who was able to find a better route than everyone else.

If you finished a standard marathon in 12 miles, you didn't complete a marathon. It's defined by its distance not getting from point a to point b.

The 12 parsecs things is clearly just a fuck up that people have rationalized after the fact. Not world ending but let's not pretend it was intentional.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
It's amazing how many people take his tweets on this at face value and get upset.

He's clearly just having some fun.

/Star Wars: serious business.

Did the same thing with Gravity, Interstellar and I think the Martian. All in good fun.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
He was a practical effect, yes. But he was a puppet with puppeteers. The working robot we all saw wasn't used in the film.

He also wasn't perfectly smooth, though. His ball had texture and ridges what with all the doors.

so, thr scenes wher we see him in full, rolling arround where cgi then?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Is he a buzzkill or is he just having fun being a buzzkill?

There's a difference. I wouldn't take any of this as actual critique, more just him taking friendly jabs at a popular thing.

He is just having some good fun, IMO. But I do enjoy when scientists discredit the science of a movie as many see things in movies and assume that it is based on reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom