• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buzzkill of Science is at it again. Neil deGrasse Tyson VS The Force Awaken(SPOILER?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

Many times in the "we pulled this out of our ass after the fact" circles.

I thought I was going crazy for a bit. I've heard the explanation before and saw it as a fun, light hearted way of almost working around an obvious error. The fact that people seem to be using it seriously took me by surprise.

No one cares, Neil.

Deal with it
Neil-College-2.jpeg

Blunoise

guys im pretty sure he is joking. i can never understand how nerds can get so angry on a person. first many people on gaf love this dude, but now hates him because he saying things about this film

Some people here are taking him way too seriously. He's just poking fun at it.
I've had friends insult me because I didn't like the movie. Star Wars fans can be unbearable sometimes.

It is things like these where geeks and nerds (and I don't mean that as an insult) show their ugly side and the myth of the loveable nerd goes out the window and you realise they can be complete shit heads too.

If you complete a marathon run in 12 miles, that means you took a shortcut. Han saying that he took a shortcut means that he's an excellent navigator who was able to find a better route than everyone else.

But he says that after saying the Millenium Falcon is the fastest ship in the galaxy. So the context of it is speed not distance.

I thought the Kessel run thing was explained as flying close to a cluster of black holes. So it's about Han's abilities and skill as a reckless pilot as much as it is about the speed of the falcon.

AGITΩ

I did find the whole thing about sucking energy from a star a bit off in the movie myself. But more dealing with the gravitational side effects of both being by the star and then not being by it at all. And also, even with that star being so close....it was still a snowy planet?

I'm dyin at this
Tyson does this all the time (usually only when asked to), and the Star Wars fanbase's response is to completely flip shit and act like he just dropkicked their father

hirokazu

AGITΩ;190117997 said:
I did find the whole thing about sucking energy from a star a bit off in the movie myself. But more dealing with the gravitational side effects of both being by the star and then not being by it at all. And also, even with that star being so close....it was still a snowy planet?
You're not supposed to think about it that deep, bruh. That's crazy talk!

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
This. Lol at everyone thinking they figured out some glaring error by the use of parsecs.

Also, in the original draft, Han was bullshitting and obi-wan called him on it.

Nobody, least of all Lucas, ever thought Parsecs were time.

Chuckie

Ok, Omega-level nerdout incoming. Hold on to your butts.

The Kessel Run involves smuggling spice along a very dangerous route of space that skirts dangerously close to a bunch of black holes called The Maw, as well as a really nasty asteroid belt. Most pilots would take a longer, safer route that went around all these hazards but would create more risk of getting caught by Imperial patrols. Han managed to cut a huge chunk of distance off the total by flying through the field and absurdly close to the Maw, way closer than is safe, thus proving his own skills and the capability of the ship.

Don't know man... this sounds like some EU retcon to be honest.
Either Lucas didn't know and used a wrong term or he did know and wanted Solo to use a wrong term to indicate he was bragging and full of shit.
An actual scientific explanation seems a bit too much for a movie like Star Wars.

Also BB-8 > R2-D2. So Neil is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom