• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls |OT| Monokuma and Co.

FluxWaveZ

Watch this starting t 10:10.
He specifically says that was unused, and that they found out about it later.

What I and someone else interpreted was that he talked about a motive where they would be forced to watch the ones they cared for kill each other, but that it went "unused" because of DR1 circumstances that prevented it (e.g. around when Mukuro attacked Makoto or something). Where does it say that they found out about it later?

What I and someone else interpreted was that he talked about a motive where they would be forced to watch the ones they cared for kill each other, but that it went "unused" because of DR1 circumstances that prevented it (e.g. around when Mukuro attacked Makoto or something). Where does it say that they found out about it later?

It's kind of implied since there was no indication of it in the first game.
Junko may have left documents lying around or something. Either that or some despair people that FF captured told them about it seeing as Junko couldn't exactly enforce a second killing game while in the school. She had to have allies to help carry it out.

Thoraxes

The end of Chapter 2 and the start of Chapter 3 was pretty great.
I loved seeing Makoto again, and it was nice to see him and Komaru interacting. Toko also has some amazing moments there. And now it makes sense why folks connected to everyone from the first game are there. I also like how the mere mention of Junko was enough to freak them out.

Man, I figured it out the second I picked up my first Hit List item, for
Ishimaru's dad.
The second one I found I figured out the connection pretty quickly too. If twice in a row isn't a pattern, surely three times is.

I was surprised how much I remembered about all the characters, including full names, Ultimate dispositions, character design/quirks... really everything. I had no idea I retained so much about the Danganronpa universe.

I think it was implied rather than stated. Plus, how could they have learned about it during their imprisonment. You played through their imprisonment and it was never mentioned.

Man, I figured it out the second I picked up my first Hit List item, for
Ishimaru's dad.

that's what i thought at first until
i picked Leon's cousin's,
then I was all, "maybe not?"

FluxWaveZ

It's kind of implied since there was no indication of it in the first game.
Junko may have left documents lying around or something. Either that or some despair people that FF captured told them about it seeing as Junko couldn't exactly enforce a second killing game while in the school. She had to have allies to help carry it out.

Yeah, that's the explanation that was made on the previous page, but I think the game left it too nebulous. That segment is supposed to be a DR1 throwback, and there's no clear indication that it diverges from what happened strictly within it to the player.

I think it was implied rather than stated. Plus, how could they have learned about it during their imprisonment. You played through their imprisonment and it was never mentioned.

That's where the possibility of a retcon to fit around the context of DR:AE comes into play, which is why I was questioning it in the first place.

He mentions the videos, but says that was the beginning and that Junko was planning something more cruel before being swallowed up by despair. Given what we saw in both games, I interpret it as something that they found out later, because that's not how the videos were presented in DR1.

edit, too slow.

edit 2:

Never seemed nebulous to me. I'd say it's a foregone conclusion even if it isn't outright spelled out since it doesn't need to be. Retcon never even crossed my mind.

Pretty much this.

Yeah, that's the explanation that was made on the previous page, but I think the game left it too nebulous. That segment is supposed to be a DR1 throwback, and there's no clear indication that it diverges from what happened strictly within it to the player.

Never seemed nebulous to me. I'd say it's a foregone conclusion even if it isn't outright spelled out since it doesn't need to be. Retcon never even crossed my mind.

FluxWaveZ

What it implies makes sense. I took that passage at face value, though, so I was rather confused when trying to relate it to previous events since I strictly took that scene as, "Here's what happened in DR1" without thinking about it as expanding from that.

Does anyone know if the skills that increase item drops, gaining experience, etc. stack? Or should I unequipped the weaker ones when I get a better version?

Labrys

Does anyone know if the skills that increase item drops, gaining experience, etc. stack? Or should I unequipped the weaker ones when I get a better version?

If they act like the slow/fast movement on the gun (which i'm assuming they do), then they do stack.

jonjonaug

They all stack. However for the "gives more items" skills, it seems to work like "gives more coins"->"gives more coins and hearts"->"gives almost all hearts". I usually just equip the middle of the three item drop skills while not equipping the others, it seems to give the best balance of health and coins. Otherwise you get way more healing than you'll ever need and less coins than you could be getting.

So do you get anything if you 100% the game? besides trophies.

I just 100%'d the game a little while ago. Nothing at all.

Thud

Finished chapter 2 with a B ranking. That one retry probably did it.

I noticed a mistake in text:

Shirokuma gives the portable device to Komaru. Then it states it's developed by the Togami group, which is false. In the Japanese VA Shirokuma says Towa group. The Togami group probably doesn't even exist anymore.

Stupid mistake lol.

Felensis

Banned
@ the bolded, please tell me you plan to play Virtue's Last Reward!

Don't play AE before DR2. AE spoils important stuff that happens in DR2.

Do DR2 before AE.

Why? Why not just play it in release order since that's the way the story came out?

You should play VLR as well, I think its much better then 999. Also yeah don't play AE before 2.

GameInformer is definitely reputable, I'm not sure I will agree with this review by them but they are not just a flyer. They break news and have some of the best previews in the industry with their cover stories. Just one potentially bad review shouldn't tank them as "just some GameStop flyer".

Play them in fucking release order

Always

Yeah, it seems that you need to play DR2 before AE, since there are some DR2 stuff.
But I always recommend to play games in release order, you can't go wrong with that.

Ok, ok guys, I've got it! :D
Will play DR2 before AE. Nevertheless already got AE to show my love and support and because there were only two copies at my local retailer on shelve °_°

Haven't played VLR yet, but it's definitely on my most wanted list since I love 999 and enjoyed the shit out of it!

So to make the VN round complete: Steins;Gate seems to be a must have too, right?

Omikaru

Quick question, I'm yet to start this game (will be getting to it once my dissertation is handed in on Friday), but I was wondering which platform you recommend I play this on: Vita or PS TV? I have no particular preference for one over the other, and I'll probably try it out on both devices myself, but how does this play with the DS4 compared to on the handheld?

So to make the VN round complete: Steins;Gate seems to be a must have too, right?

Absolutely! One of my favourite games released this year.

It's absolutely amazing to me that all of the Halo games have received the same ESRB rating as Ultra Despair Girls. This game is on a different level then anything I've played in quite a while.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hoping to start Ch. 3 later today after getting some sleep, especially since it seems that's when things really start getting darker.

..............a shame "that" gameplay moment was spoiled for me with a nice big picture on Twitter, so I sadly won't be surprised when it happens....& I was able to freakin' avoid all other spoilers on AE until that moment.

It's absolutely amazing to me that all of the Halo games have received the same ESRB rating as Ultra Despair Girls. This game is on a different level then anything I've played in quite a while.
Well technically Halo 5 is rated T & I think at one point, the first was originally T, but I still get your point. Hell, it's the same ESRB rating as Ace Attorney 5. & that game really only had one moment waaaay in the final case that I'd argue might've been the reason why it got the rating.

Stalk

Finished chapter one last night, that was
sad :( the alcohol smell.
mechanically I find the game a bit rigid, but it is pretty fun.

Thoraxes

Man, I just finally stopped playing after just being glued to my TV for the past 12 hours (don't worry, I ate/drank and went to the restroom!). I don't think i've been this attached to a game in a long time, to where I could just sit myself down and completely go to town on it. I keep playing without getting bored, without worrying about tedium, and I keep thirsting for more story and character interactions, and I even enjoy the puzzles and combat.

This fucking game man, it's so good. It feels good to just have fun. Plain, simple fun.

I love it.

Busaiku

That's what it was. You look through the three life savers lined up and see the right key through them.
No, I thought that, based on perspective, 3 circles had to line up horizontally, with the key following that sequence, not that I had to look through 3 lifesavers.

Meia

Man, I just finally stopped playing after just being glued to my TV for the past 12 hours (don't worry, I ate/drank and went to the restroom!). I don't think i've been this attached to a game in a long time, to where I could just sit myself down and completely go to town on it. I keep playing without getting bored, without worrying about tedium, and I keep thirsting for more story and character interactions, and I even enjoy the puzzles and combat.

This fucking game man, it's so good. It feels good to just have fun. Plain, simple fun.

I love it.

I may or may not have just finished a 9 hour session to finish off the last 2 chapters as well. :D

END GAME SPOILERS AHEAD:

I did like how the game did have a fake/bad end like the first game if you ever choose to break the controller. It's short, but there. After the 3rd of 4th time I was wondering how many times they'd force me to keep making the same choice. :p

The relationship with Toko and Komaru was handled very well in the game, and is probably the main reason I liked playing the game as much as I did. I always kind of liked Toko playing through DR1, but this game makes her such a stronger character. Was happy to see both characters grow as a result of the back and forths throughout the game, as well as the book discussions. It really did make me want to scour every environment for everything just to get more banter. :D

Was also somewhat surprised that the images during the credits were actually important possibly? We see Haiji still full of despair surrounded by armed adults with Korokuma's body near them, and then we also see all of the Warriors of Hope(sans Monaca) in a post game setting, so it looks like they all survived?

Really curious given how this and DR2 ends to see where the story is moving to with a third mainline game. I enjoy the trial setting of the numbered games, but this was a fun game to play in it's own right.

I may or may not have just finished a 9 hour session to finish off the last 2 chapters as well. :D

Yup, just did that myself last night. I was up 'til 4AM, which I haven't done in years.

Really satisfying ending, but the gameplay itself was so clunky all the way through. I know it's probably heresy to say it, but I hope they decide to do a PS4 port at some point. The game's style would scale up nicely, and the framerate wouldn't be nearly as atrocious. And hopefully there'd be much more adjustable analog aiming. Lining up shots in this game was a nightmare.

Now that I'm on Chapter 4, I have to ask this again since I just now got to it.

Mild spoilers....
the child on child violence during the dialogue scenes makes me laugh....not sure if that's a good thing. I just got to Nagisa slapping Monaca in the face, so I froze the dialogue. It's been nearly ten minutes of Nagisa slapping Monaca in the face. Monaca punching Kotoko in the face was funnier.

I'm still enjoying this game very much. I like the challenge puzzles. They've all been pretty good so far.

Luigi87

Bleh, just encountered a glitch in Chapter 1.
One of the Arcade rooms with a Bomber Monouma, a Siren Monokuma, and three Monokuma on the other side of a car. Goal is "Destroy all in a single explosion."

Reloading my save, the Bomber Monokuma is no longer spawning.
Edit: Nothing I do can get it to respawn. Reloading from main menu. Reloading a different save then reloading this one. Retrying...

BTA

Yup, just did that myself last night. I was up 'til 4AM, which I haven't done in years.

Really satisfying ending, but the gameplay itself was so clunky all the way through. I know it's probably heresy to say it, but I hope they decide to do a PS4 port at some point. The game's style would scale up nicely, and the framerate wouldn't be nearly as atrocious. And hopefully there'd be much more adjustable analog aiming. Lining up shots in this game was a nightmare.

A PS4 port would be interesting, especially as they could hopefully move the run button to a trigger and therefore have a more reasonable control scheme. My main problem gameplay wise so far is definitely the aiming, though; obviously Monokumas dodge shots and all but even beyond that it's super hard to tell where your shots are going to go.

Still in chapter 2 myself, since I unfortunately keep having things pop up and haven't been able to do some marathoning myself yet. Might need to hide from this thread for a few chapters since I've already seen some light unspoilered stuff here (which is my own fault for seeing, and I don't necessarily think it should have been spoilered- I just wanted to know relatively less).

Steel

Banned

There's always the Vita TV if you wanna use a controller, though.

I would have settled for a gyro aiming option. I got spoiled playing Majora's Mask 3D earlier this year and being able to snipe everything

Steel

Banned
You know, I think the game could have a real hard mode on its hands if they just made it so health dropped far less frequently and got rid of/lessened pity hearts and ammo during bossfights and group fights.

(Ch5 stuff)

...Did I seriously just get a plot twist reveal fron a ghost

That scene is especially hilarious if you got the booktalk that pretty much debunk's Komaru's ability to sense ghosts.
(Pre-chapter 5 file spoiler)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
A little into Ch. 3, huh, this game highlights some random words at tiiiiiiiiii uuuuhhhhhhhhhh OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH that's why.

(Ch5 stuff)

...Did I seriously just get a plot twist reveal fron a ghost

And Toko
going full exorcist. She's doing a better job with the occult than Hagakure too
Gefv4WA.jpg

bigkrev

Finished it last night. I have mixed feelings on the game. Not sure if I would reccomend it to anyone but the biggest Danganronpa fans. It has some really bad gameplay issues

There is no way to defend the fact that they consider the aiming speed of the reticle to be something that can only be changed by finding and equipping skills. In an era where games are all about being accessible to as many people as possible wrt control scheme (PS4 allowing system level remapping of buttons, Nintendo offering a half dozen input options on the WiiU, Motion and Voice controls in concert with traditional controllers), and they take something that has been adjustable as an industry standard for something like 15 years, and lock it behind a missable collectible 8 hours into the game. And then, they decided to make the "headshot" mechanic of the game even harder than the average shooter, by making it an eye instead of a head. I would be shocked if someone who wasn't interested in Danganronpa made it an hour into the game before deciding the trouble isn't worth it.

And then, you have the bosses.
The Kid's robots are all dull, though I would have no idea how you would beat Monica's without having the faster aiming. I could never figure out how to dodge Toko's dash attacks in her boss fight, and died 3 times, only winning the 4th time because she only used the dash attack twice. Big Bang Monokuma, however, was a really fun fight with the right amount of stupidity.

Outside of the gameplay, I walked away from the ending going "That's IT?".
I had assumed we were going to see most of the Danganronpa 2 cast in this game- seeing them before they became ultimate despairs, or even fighting some of them as bosses. Instead, we get the 5 kids, all of whom except Nagisa get very little development, and some relatives of characters from the first game, most of whom die within 5 minutes of you meeting them. With the exception of Toko, no character from the previous game has any real development, and with it being a prequel, it almost seems designed in a way that someone going right from DR2 to the future DR3 would have zero problems.

I've finally had a chance to dig into this now that I'm done with MGS. So far Toko is carrying it. Unfortunately the Warriors of Hope are terrible, every scene they are in I just want to end. These are the worst antagonists I've seen in a game in a while. The gameplay is ok. I like the puzzles, but the controls are pretty poor.

They're made by the same company.
I imagine they were all added in during the localization.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Uuuuhhh, think I ran into a sound glitch, as I keep hearing the sound of a Ball Monokuma rolling or something, despite defeating them all & leaving the area, and it's still playing during a cutscene.

Edit: FINALLY, it's gone. I had to enter a new area to make it go away.

Busaiku

Ugh, all the Warriors of Hope have been such cliches so far.
They really tried to nail down on Kotoko especially, but I couldn't help but just groan. Jataro was also as bad. Masaru's was a bit more general, so it wasn't as groan-worthy.
I really hope Nagisa and Monaca don't follow. Tone it down and do something interesting.

And of course that's their plan.

Squire

Banned
Shit got real this chapter, for sure.

To start at the beginning, I loved the opening with the Warriors of Hope. Goddamn those kids are terrifying. Monaca in particular scares the shit out of me. I could see there being some redemption for the blue haired kid, whose name suddenly escapes me.

The interaction with Shirokuma was great and when they hit the base, I was expecting there to be a Walking Dead-type of moment where everything goes to shit. Haiji having something against the FF was an even bigger swerve.

Hiroko was cooooool. DR has its femme fatale now. I expect to see more of her, given I'm still finding the cards for the hit list (hoping it's okay I gave that to her). I'm guessing she's either Yasuhiro's aunt or an older sister.

Chihiro's dad biting it is fucked up beyond words.

The last big stretch of the chapter was phenomenal. My eyes lit up at that first mention of "Big Sis Junko" and I figured Jataro was probably a cute kid under the mask once he started mentioning having to wear it. It was cool to actually see that. I enjoyed that brief mention of what I assume was an alcoholic parent from Daimon, too. They're doing a good job giving you hints at these villains back stories without some huge explanations. All you really need to know is... They're fucked up.

Btw, these optional books and notes are fucked up. REALLY fucked up. The manga about the girl with the bomb in her body, asking to be bullied? "Not the bag, not the bag"? The children's book about sleeping in a washing machine? That hyper-violent note that was obviously written by Haiji? Jesus fucking Christ.

End of the chapter was beautiful. BEAUTIFUL. The signal coming on, Box 15 playing, Komaru and Makoto finally recognizing each other. I was smiling like an idiot.

On to Chaoter 3!

Firestar

So I just beat the game, have a question.

I picked not to break the controller the whole time, which seemed like a good ending. Is the only other ending a bad one from breaking the controller at any point? Also wondering if that's actually worth playing or not.

Steel

Banned
So I just beat the game, have a question.

I picked not to break the controller the whole time, which seemed like a good ending. Is the only other ending a bad one from breaking the controller at any point? Also wondering if that's actually worth playing or not.

I tried breaking the controller at every point just to see what happens. It shows the same vague bad ending every time and brings you back to the choice without you having to reload. It's worth looking at once, but not much else.

jonjonaug

I'm still in Chapter 1,
found a message saying that I should go back to the Hospital, am I supposed to backtrack? is it worth it?

You need the key the kid has to proceed. The kid went to the hospital. You have to backtrack to keep going.

The way there is different though, you explore new parts of the hospital, and the way back is really short because shortcuts open up. So it's not so bad.

Top Bottom