• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capndrake

A post-DR3 interview about DR3: http://kamase-megane.tumblr.com/post/153504419222/dr3-spoiler-warning-heres-a-post-kibou-hen

Some interesting parts:

HIGA: What I found impressive was how Sakakura was so hated, but when everyone learned what he was like on the inside, his popularity shot up right when it was leading up to his last moments. In the beginning there, we were working hard planning a figure for him…

KODAKA: It was kinda like, should we really have gone with Sakakura? (laughs)

HIGA: Things are a lot better now than they were back then.

KODAKA: I’m sorry to Sakakura’s actor, Junichi Suwabe-san, who actually went and expressed his concern for him on Twitter. I want to make sure he knows just how popular he was in the end.

KODAKA: Munakata was supposed to die. As I recall, he was going to die protecting Naegi. I think at this point I’m happy he didn’t actually die, but mostly because I want him to carry the weight of his sin from that time he tried to get rid of Sakakura. I tweaked that part of the script because I wanted Naegi to move forward carrying the burden of hope, Hinata to move forward carrying the burden of despair, and Munakata to move forward carrying the burden of his dead friends. Really, the plan was to include what happens to all sorts of different characters after Kibou-hen during the credits, but they all got cut for length. There was a scene about what happens to Munakata afterwards, too.

HIGA: Then who do you think would make a good protagonist for a DR3 spinoff?

KODAKA: Maybe I’d want to write about someone from the 77th class to tie up some loose ends. Like, the 77th class, as seen by Koizumi.

HIGA: I do wanna know what she’s thinking.

KODAKA: Koizumi’s serious, so she’s probably thinking about how they have to carry their sin. Other than that, maybe Kuzuryuu and Peko.

HIGA: I smell a great action-packed story there.

KODAKA: (laughs) And then maybe Enoshima. I already wrote the Danganronpa/Zero novels, but Enoshima loves her classmates from DR1. I wanted to write more of that. All of the DR2 characters are small fry to her. She just brainwashed them all at once, like, I don’t even friggin’ know these guys! But she deliberately let the DR1 crew survive and turn the school into a shelter so that she could make her classmates kill each other. It’s like, the more she loves someone, the more she wants to treasure their mutual killing, and so I want to try writing a story like, “They’re my classmates, so I want to treasure their despair at my hands.”

FluxWaveZ

I tweaked that part of the script because I wanted Naegi to move forward carrying the burden of hope, Hinata to move forward carrying the burden of despair, and Munakata to move forward carrying the burden of his dead friends.
The concept of this sounds cool. Can't say it came through at all to me, though maybe it's because of whatever got cut in the end. I'll have to read the whole thing; thanks for posting it.

DR3 spin-off theorizing is no good at all.

KODAKA: (laughs) And then maybe Enoshima. I already wrote the Danganronpa/Zero novels, but Enoshima loves her classmates from DR1. I wanted to write more of that. All of the DR2 characters are small fry to her. She just brainwashed them all at once, like, I don’t even friggin’ know these guys! But she deliberately let the DR1 crew survive and turn the school into a shelter so that she could make her classmates kill each other. It’s like, the more she loves someone, the more she wants to treasure their mutual killing, and so I want to try writing a story like, “They’re my classmates, so I want to treasure their despair at my hands.”

Exactly how i understood that part

From the excerpts posted here, I like some of what Kodaka has to say, but I don't think he conveyed any of that well in the final product. Which is a shame, because DR3 would've been better for it.

JulianImp

Exactly how i understood that part

That's all cool and dandy, but DR2 made it seem like everyone in the 77th class had a glaring character flaw that Enoshima could exploit, making the brainwash video thing really underwhelming.

Going by that logic, did the class reps in the killing game she staged to get the tragedy started actually matter to her? Because she did do a lot of research on them to get the whole thing started and were absolute nobodies to the audience compared to the 77th class, but still got a way better treatment from Enoshima (from her point of view, of course) than Nanami & Co.

RainForce

Banned
That thing about Junko not caring about class 77 at all makes me think drawn out realistic-ish manipulation was never the plan despite what DR2 had us believe. That's honestly pretty disappointing.

I hope one of the cut things was the ghosts of class 78 in that theater, possibly giving Junko her commupence (though I'm not sure what that would entail).

From the excerpts posted here, I like some of what Kodaka has to say, but I don't think he conveyed any of that well in the final product. Which is a shame, because DR3 would've been better for it.

That's because he barely even did anything beyond the plot overview.

That's all cool and dandy, but DR2 made it seem like everyone in the 77th class had a glaring character flaw that Enoshima could exploit, making the brainwash video thing really underwhelming.

Going by that logic, did the class reps in the killing game she staged to get the tragedy started actually matter to her? Because she did do a lot of research on them to get the whole thing started and were absolute nobodies to the audience compared to the 77th class, but still got a way better treatment from Enoshima (from her point of view, of course) than Nanami & Co.
I like the cast of DR2 , but i think our initial perception of those characters was one side , like 1 point of view.
DR3 only changed the point of view.
I don't mind. I understand that some can think that the brainwashing video can be underwelming , but i don't mind.

did the class reps in the killing game she staged to get the tragedy started actually matter to her?

Of course not , they were just a mean to an end. The thing that mattered to her were clearly indetified in DR3 , and they weren't part of that.

KODAKA: All of the voice actors in DR3 were amazing. Monaka’s actress, Aya Hirano-san, came in to record before there was any animation.

HIGA: Hirano-san had already planned to study abroad during the time when the recording was going to take place, so we recorded just Monaka’s lines in advance. Her voice saying those lines was the foundation that we layered the art and everything else onto.

Well DR3 did make UDG seem like it was completely irrelevant to everything, and this just makes it seem like that all happened only because her VA wasn't going to be around long enough to record lines for them :/.

JulianImp

Of course not , they were just a mean to an end. The thing that mattered to her were clearly indetified in DR3 , and they weren't part of that.

It was more of a rethoric question, since I know the class reps were bottom-tier redshirts as far as the plot itself is concerned. It's just that, going by Kodaka's reasoning, even they got better (as in more "special") treatment from Junko compared to the 77th class in the way they were turned to despair.

As for the 77th class themselves, it was just sad that the second game made it pretty apparent that most of the students had weak points that Junko could've manipulated to win them over (like how despair-Mikan rambled about how Junko understood her, or the whole double murder of Kuzuryu's little sister and the girl who was antagonizing her), but when we got the reason they had turned from a bunch of nice guys into mass murderers it was just magical brainwashing, which basically turned the situation into "Junko made us do it". I'd say many expected them to have more a relevant arc of their own rather than merely being a tool Junko had used... Like, their redemption wasn't worth anything from the get go once we learn they were good all along, and that only Junko's eeeevil video of upupupu was to blame for all the horrifying stuff they did as remnants of despair.

Hinata and company eventually being burneded with calling themselves the bad guys in order to create a scapegoat for a new hope felt awful for me, since they were basically roped into the whole thing unwillingly, and ended up paying the consecuences of merely having been the onces Junko chose to help spread her despair. Like, she probably could've even gone on to do what she was doing without the help of the 77th class at all, since she could already effortlessly control the whole school (including the good guys), and Izuru was... not intruding with her plans, I guess?

...But I digress. Basically, I liked the whole thing a lot more before I knew about the tragedy and what had actually happened to the 77th class, and giving us insight into that part of the story really hurt my perception of the series as a whole.

That interview's interesting but also reaffirms my personal decision to just pretend this anime never happened because holy hell does it undermine a lot of what people liked about DR2's plot and Junko Enoshima in general. That comment about Enoshima giving a shit about her classmates just further suggests people either horribly misinterpreted the original games or Kodaka just lost sight of what people dug about the characters and started to miss the point.

Eumi

You know what did a better job of showing off that Junko didn't care about the DR2 cast?

DR2.

In this she built elaborate traps for Chiaki, fangirked over animator (who's name has completely escaped me now), spent ages tormenting Mikan, personally turned their teacher.

So I'm not quite sure that 'oh she didn't care about them' holds. I can believe it was the intention, but it was pretty much undermined by the fact that they felt compelled to push the DR2 cast so hard needlessly.

Danganronpa 2.5: Komaeda Nagito OVA

xcuQ9bX.jpg

Woah what?? Danganronpa Zero exists???

I dunno, its fine. It just brings back bad memories of how shitty DR3 is. More stuff thats better left inside your head. Since when were Fuyuhiko and Souda such bros????

Did Gundham even have a single line this entire OVA?

Bladenic

Finally watching the anime. I watched Future all the way through to episode 12 (left that one) and now watching Despair and on episode 3. I kinda hate how cartoony/over the top parts of Future were (fight scenes and especially the pharmacist girl turning into whatever the fuck) and Despair is even worse.

Although when the series brings Despair, it really brings it. Definitely issues aplenty but I still like it for the most part.

I'm also wondering if V3 will use Ultimate or Super High School Level.

Finally, Fuyuhiko's sister is a massive bitch and Ruruka is the worst character since Hiyoko.

Finally watching the anime. I watched Future all the way through to episode 12 (left that one) and now watching Despair and on episode 3. I kinda hate how cartoony/over the top parts of Future were (fight scenes and especially the pharmacist girl turning into whatever the fuck) and Despair is even worse.

Although when the series brings Despair, it really brings it. Definitely issues aplenty but I still like it for the most part.

Finally, Fuyuhiko's sister is a massive bitch and Ruruka is the worst character since Hiyoko.

1) You fucked up the order.

2) Watching in order might have helped.

PaulBizkit

I'm still crying over
the entirety of class 77 getting revived. If only the survivors had woken up, then DR2 wouldn't have been in vane

DR3 is so bad, it retroactively makes DR2 unnecessary.

Bladenic

Man
Chiaki and Chisa's fates are just so sad and messed up.

At least the series had an overall happy ending but their fates are still really Despair inducing.

I do feel that the series kind of ruined Junko a bit. It's probably an effect of the limited amount of episodes they had but still. I mean she's still entertaining as hell and one of my favorite villains.

Hope V3's villain is good!

just finished the anime... i liked it overall, but
bringing back kirigiri at the end is just pandering to fans... it wouldn't have changed the end if she stayed dead! It's not bad to kill loved main characters, I was legit shocked to see her die, and it was nice... but the whole sentiment was for nothing since "hey but she's still alive, let's all be happy, yay"

RedHill

Banned

Why did you watch it like that

NotLiquid

just finished the anime... i liked it overall, but
bringing back kirigiri at the end is just pandering to fans... it wouldn't have changed the end if she stayed dead! It's not bad to kill loved main characters, I was legit shocked to see her die, and it was nice... but the whole sentiment was for nothing since "hey but she's still alive, let's all be happy, yay"
Her death wasn't even earned in the first place. Call it a problem of bad pacing I suppose but the anime gave so little time to her, particularly time together with Makoto, to make her death actually have an impact. The anime assumes way too much empathy on the audience's part... which I have, cause I'm a fan of her, but she was still a cheap character in this that died only for the sake of dying.

I want to imagine they also wanted to redeem Mikan to the people that hated her in DR2.

Her death wasn't even earned in the first place. Call it a problem of bad pacing I suppose but the anime gave so little time to her, particularly time together with Makoto, to make her death actually have an impact. The anime assumes way too much empathy on the audience's part... which I have, cause I'm a fan of her, but she was still a cheap character in this that died only for the sake of dying.

I want to imagine they also wanted to redeem Mikan to the people that hated her in DR2.

yeah i see what you mean, and i agree! But still, it was a nice ending in the end... maybe a bit disappointed that there wasn't as much focus on the investigating part than in the frist two games! (sure it's an anime, more difficult to do it with quality than in a full game)

despair part was better imo

Kinsei

Banned
I finally got around to watching this and boy was it one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Say what you will about ZTD but at least it didn't make me retroactively hate VLR. This show makes so much of DR2 total shit.

Meia

I just binge-watched the entire series.

Fuck the haters, I really enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it as well, but then again I'm not someone that needs
death for something to have a point apparently. I knew from people's reactions to the end of DR2 of "Man, if they can ever revive everyone that would trash the ending" that they'd hate this as I saw it. DR2 was basically rehab for the cast, that was it's purpose.

Only thing that would have been nice to go more into is what exactly the cast of 2 did after falling into their despair selves, which we never got. Guess they felt if we saw how depraved they were, we wouldn't like them as much after they got redeemed or something. It probably would have also had more impact if when we got the reveal of the DR2 cast popping up in modern day, they all weren't in perfect condition.

Its been said 1,000 times but DR3 retroactively dumps on DR2 and the entire premise for DR3 future by removing any choice or fault of the DR2 cast because "lol brainwashing"

It doesn't matter if that was the plan all along, they chose the absolute worst, most boring and theme destroying method possible to needlessly wrap up this already overcomplicated narrative

Kinsei

Banned
I enjoyed it as well, but then again I'm not someone that needs death for something to have a point apparently. I knew from people's reactions to the end of DR2 of "Man, if they can ever revive everyone that would trash the ending" that they'd hate this as I saw it. DR2 was basically rehab for the cast, that was it's purpose.

Only thing that would have been nice to go more into is what exactly the cast of 2 did after falling into their despair selves, which we never got. Guess they felt if we saw how depraved they were, we wouldn't like them as much after they got redeemed or something. It probably would have also had more impact if when we got the reveal of the DR2 cast popping up in modern day, they all weren't in perfect condition.

That would have made the show pretty good. By focusing on the time after the DR2 cast fell to despair instead of the shitty brainwashing they could have done something truly interesting. In media the audience is willing to forgive heinous actions if the character committing them happens to be one that they like (The DR2 cast is one example, Spike from Buffy is another). By pushing the audiences love of the characters to the limit in the despair arc they could have totally turned the future arc on it's head (in a good way). We start the series firmly on the side of Makoto and friends, but would it be that way at the very end? The show would actually inspire thought and self reflection in it's viewers instead of just dragging them along on a ride. Hell it also might have even wound up making Juzo and Munakata likeable.

Scavenger

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School - Future Arc (BD/DVD Combo)
MSRP: $64.98
Release date: October 03, 2017

Special features:
Episode 9 Commentary
Episode 2 Video Commentary
Textless Opening & Closing Songs
Trailers

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School - Despair Arc (BD/DVD Combo)

Special features:
Episode 7 Commentary
Episode 10 Video Commentary
Trailers

Wish these were sold in one set with the episodes in broadcast order.

Special features:
Episode 9 Commentary
Trailers

Special features:
Episode 7 Commentary
Trailers

I wish all sorts of trash could be stored in such a compact manner, it would really help humanity curb pollution.

Special features:
Episode 9 Commentary
Trailers

Special features:
Episode 7 Commentary
Trailers

bDZcPhO.jpg

JulianImp

Wait, why in the world would they split it between hope and despair arcs and still have the gall to write "The complete series" on each of them? While the show didn't really do much with it, the nearly simultaneous release of Hope and Despair episodes each week was a pretty interesting gimmick, and I think it'd make more sense to split episodes evenly on each disk allow watchers to pick whether they want to watch only one side's episodes or both of them in sequence.

I don't really get why they go around releaseing BD+DVD combos, but it doesn't look like they're overcharging so I'd say it's okay.

JulianImp

$65 is a lot for that.

Well, maybe I'm just used to Japanese BD releases costing nearly as much as that and only containing a couple episodes instead of a whole season (or cour)... Then I guess it's just a ploy to force people to pay for both kinds of disk even though they only wanted one of them.

This is the show/thread that just keeps on giving (despair)... Junko would be proud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom