• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Wouldn't it be really stupid if they made a pointless anime sequel to DR that only serves to tank all of SDR2's dramatic tension? I sure am glad that never happened.

But it's too late, you have seen the cat's guts... and they were ugly as hell.

We could even say that Junko won in the meta sense, since DR3 managed to fill the world with despair and the impossible wish to forget that it ever existed. It will forever haunt you, and you'll have to relieve it every time somebody who gets into the series happens to ask you about that anime season that worked as the grand finale of the current continuity.

Upupupupu, indeed.

Heh, guess I've become a remnant of despair myself by helping keep this thread alive.

Battlechili

Banned
I just finished episode 9 of Despair Arc.
p2gJV6u.png
This show's direction is incredible. This really got me.

That
torture
scene was really uncomfortable. Seeing
Miss Yukizome in pain
hurt and was hard to watch. She doesn't deserve that. She's too sweet.
Darn Enoshima

On another note, I love Mitarai, although he scares me a little. I see too much of him in myself and that hits hard.

abrack08

LOL WOW

So Funimation put up the Hope Arc episode, but they uploaded it with one of the lines at the very end being an outtake instead of the actual line...

http://kuroinekomimix.tumblr.com/post/152385313696/wait-whaaaaattt-did-i-hear-that-right-okay

I stopped watching the sub version once the dubs started coming out. Watched the last episode late last night, I was super confused with Makoto's response to her saying that. Now it makes sense. Wonder if that's a legitimate mistake or if they did this on purpose?

So finally got around to watching this and I'm pretty pissed at Funimation. Finished the Despair arc on their site and went to watch the next episode, only to find out they put the last episode (Hope) in the middle of the Despair and Future arcs. Didn't realize until towards the end what had happened. I thought I was being dropped right into the action.

Someone should be fired :(

So finally got around to watching this and I'm pretty pissed at Funimation. Finished the Despair arc on their site and went to watch the next episode, only to find out they put the last episode (Hope) in the middle of the Despair and Future arcs. Didn't realize until towards the end what had happened. I thought I was being dropped right into the action.

You already screwed up by watching Despair before Future, but yeah, Funi REALLY screwed up the episode numbering. Should have been the broadcast Future 1-> Despair 1 -> Future 2 -> Despair 2 -> etc.

You were watching in the wrong order anyway, it seems, but look at the bright side. Pretty much all of Future was completely pointless and served only to lead up to that really stupid ending.

I finally got around to watching this. I wanted to wait for when the dub was done and I had the time to watch it. As a fan of all the games I am both pleased and disappointed, In so many ways.

What I liked

- Future Arc was interesting and I really liked the majority of it
- The new characters where great and I like most of their arcs and fit in really well
- Forbidden actions was a cool gimmick
- I appreciated the dub used a lot of the VA from the games
- The end game when our hero's had to stop blind hope was a nice touch
- The acceptance that hope needs despair to make us human as a theme fits well for an ending
- The despair side really fleshed out the future foundations members really nicely without taking up to much time in future arc with backstory and explanations and they fit into the canon nicely
- I liked how Ultra Despair Girls was not ignored and represented
What I was annoyed by

- What's with all the switching of blood colors from pink to red, just keep it pink and
consistent
- Why does the dub call all of the characters by their last name instead of their first name. I know it's accurate to the anime but it's super annoying coming off of the games dub history.
- A lot of the DR2 cast felt lifeless and a cheap parody of who they are
- Izuru's motivations where dumb and made little sense
- Byakuya and Hiro did absolutely nothing, seriously what was the point to keep cutting to Hiro outside, it led to nothing.
- Monokuma's voice is awful
- Why does that robot wheel chair girl display Monomi all the time, thats dumb
- Why does a cheap Monomi get more screen time than Monokuma
- Why is Monokuma barely in this at all
- Tengen's motivation felt forced
- Hajime's motivation to wanting to get out of the reserve course was weak
- How exactly does the teacher stay brainwashed all this time from the tragedy to the end and is only brainwashed when the plot calls for it. That didn't make any sense.
- Why would the warriors of hope even still care for Monaca. Please don't hurt her. WTF.
What pissed me off and is unforgivable

- Character assassination of Monaca. She just gives up. Gives up on being the successor. Gives up on despair. For no reason. And is going to live in a van in space. I'm sorry WHAT. Straight up character assassination for no reason. I actually really like Monaca as a villain and she was just thrown away like garbage, just because. Not cool.
- Character assassination of Nagito. Him too!? No way, c'mon. He is not nearly as crazy and mentally unstable as he should be pre-tragedy. Plus with all his scheming and build up he should be straight up on Junko levels of mastermind. Him just blindly following his luck and fitting in with his classmates so easily and honkey dorey does not sit right. He doesn't do anything relevant in the story at all when he has been a major player in both DR2 and UDG. Wasted.
- Not showing the DR2 cast causing despair. Total cop out. Then redeeming them all in the end as if everything is perfect is terrible. This is their fall. Show it.
- Dead characters from DR2 coming back to life at the end (as robots or whatever the fuck they are supposed to be) is the dumbest thing they could have done. Undermining everything those characters fought and died for in DR2. It's okay we can replace them as robots with their memory and their talents. It's like they are the same thing and never died. That's how your going to honor them. Wow. I would be rolling in my grave.
- Kyoko being revived at the last second by bullshit. Let's undermine her death and sacrifice too. Cause everyone gets a happy ending.

Final thoughts

Even though I listed more complaints than compliments I didn't hate the anime and I'm glad I got to experience it. It's not perfect by any stretch and it doesn't hold a candle to any of the games but it held my attention and excitement the whole way through. I thought it had a lot of good ideas but philosophy to kill all ambiguity and explain everything because this is the end hurts it just as much as it tries to help it. It always felt like one step forward one step back. Future arc was better than the despair arc as it had the most problems. I feel as though I'm kinda fifty fifty on it right now. I think the best way to take this adaptation is to accept all the great parts and just ignore the dumb things. Kinda mix head cannon with real cannon. It's not a great answer but if this the true end (I don't buy V3 won't tie into the past games) then going forward this doesn't kill the franchise by any means. It doesn't make DR2 mute and should be a must see for any fan of the games.

The characters in DR2 didn't die. They were inside a simulation. The worst case was they never wake up or wake up as their old selves. Because of Naegi's luck and Izuru/Hinatas hope, a third possibility happened. They became a version of themselves rehabilitated with portions of their despair selvea present.

They are not? I thought in DR2 it was said that if they die during the simulation that they die in the real world forever. In the anime it shows Nagito with a robot hand and they make a bunch of robot noises when he moves. That plus the line at the end with hinata saying they lost people along the way but now we can at least honor them as who they are are in thier memory. I got the impression that DR2 cast members who died were replaced with identical clones/bots. Are you saying they all survived the simulation?

They are not? I thought in DR2 it was said that if they die during the simulation that they die in the real world forever. In the anime it shows Nagito with a robot hand and they make a bunch of robot noises when he moves. That plus the line at the end with hinata saying they lost people along the way but now we can at least honor them as who they are are in thier memory. I got the impression that DR2 cast members who died were replaced with identical clones/bots. Are you saying they all survived the simulation?
Nagito has a robot hand to replace Junko's hand.

RainForce

Banned

I like your interpretation of the ending more than what actually happened.

Jigorath

Banned

They were comatose. Hajime woke them up by being the Ultimate Alarm Clock.

Mendrox

lol wow

FStubbs

Why no Chiaki clone/bot then?

FluxWaveZ

Danganronpa producer on DR3:
Eshiro (AA producer): Doing two different storylines in the same world would still be understandable, but it must have been difficult to do storylines set in completely different worlds.

Terasawa: It was an experimental project, so we did have some problems along the way, and I think the staff did feel there were things they now wished they had differently, but considering the challenge they had, I think they did a great job, and I think it was a good ending. I am really grateful to the staff.

Danganronpa producer on differences with Ace Attorney:
Terasawa: I already commented on that five years ago, but when we first announced the title, a lot of people said it was just a rip-off of Gyakuten Saiban.

Eshiro: But once you play it, you find out it’s completely different.

Terasawa: It’s not strange people would think that based on some screenshots and a little bit of information, so we really did our best to show we were doing something different. But all that effort was for nothing (wry smile).
This makes me think that a large part of the reason they are so insistent on the mini-games during classroom trials is to differentiate it from the "simple" presentation that is Ace Attorney's, and give it that "stylish" flair they desire to attract a younger audience.
http://gyakutensaibanlibrary.blogspot.ca/2016/11/discussion-interview-between-producers.html

Does anyone know what the DR3 event/ride in the Sega Joyopolis is about.

It was just two announcers talking on stage doing voices and shit, and then a roller coaster as far as I could tell, but I didn't spend much time watching, It was fangirl central.

Anyone in the know?

I'm pretty sure Munakata and Juzo are taller than Hajime.

Yeah, well Juzo's massive, but I was just saying in general, he never came off as particularly tall to me in the game.

you'll also be surprised at his chest size too

I... Don't know where this is going.

Did they change monokuma's dub? I remember liking the game's one, this one not so much.

That aside it seems like a pretty fitting dub, I'd definitely rewatch the show with it if the show itself was worth my time.

LOL WOW

So Funimation put up the Hope Arc episode, but they uploaded it with one of the lines at the very end being an outtake instead of the actual line...

http://kuroinekomimix.tumblr.com/post/152385313696/wait-whaaaaattt-did-i-hear-that-right-okay

That's like perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom