• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls |OT| Monokuma and Co.

Volcynika

Got to the (near end)
first boss (guessing it, since it is the endgame, don't spoil me if it isn't!)
in Ch 5, and while only making one attempt, it feels like I'm fighting with the camera and everything that's going on near the end of it.

LiK

anyone else encountered a Chapter 4 save bug? I saved at the chapter start (save icon is the title) and when I messed up a challenge, I tried reloading but it didn't load at all. I even tried restarting the game and it didn't work. It would just go back to the game without loading the chapter. Had to replay the entire end of Chapter 3 again which was annoying. Anyway, that scared me into not just saving there and quitting out now, lol.

I messed up some other challenges and I'm just gonna retry instead of reloading now. They do get trickier later on if you rush through some particular ones like the
singing kids
. i'll redo them when I replay the game for trophies. enjoying the story way too much atm.

Absolutely loving it, just started chapter 3.

Question: is there something like new game plus? Or a new mode after you beat it like in the other games?

jonjonaug

anyone else encountered a Chapter 4 save bug? I saved at the chapter start (save icon is the title) and when I messed up a challenge, I tried reloading but it didn't load at all. I even tried restarting the game and it didn't work. It would just go back to the game without loading the chapter. Had to replay the entire end of Chapter 3 again which was annoying. Anyway, that scared me into not just saving there and quitting out now, lol.

I messed up some other challenges and I'm just gonna retry instead of reloading now. They do get trickier later on if you rush through some particular ones like the
singing kids
. i'll redo them when I replay the game for trophies. enjoying the story way too much atm.

There have been reports of the game locking up if you try loading a save that isn't from a duck.

Absolutely loving it, just started chapter 3.

Question: is there something like new game plus? Or a new mode after you beat it like in the other games?

Once you clear the game you can start over from the beginning and there's a chapter select option on the main menu. You also keep all of your items/skills/upgrades/and so on. There are no new gameplay modes.

Elios83

So guys having loved DR1&2 is this worth 40$? Is the story still interesting and the action gameplay good enough?

So guys having loved DR1&2 is this worth 40$? Is the story still interesting and the action gameplay good enough?

I'd say no, honestly. I loved the first two games and I had to force myself through this one. The gameplay is alright but gets boring quick and the story isn't great. It gets better toward the end for sure but still takes too long to get there.

Then again, this game is also unlikely to get a notable price cut for a while, so it's up to you.

LiK

I'd say no, honestly. I loved the first two games and I had to force myself through this one. The gameplay is alright but gets boring quick and the story isn't great. It gets better toward the end for sure but still takes too long to get there.

Then again, this game is also unlikely to get a notable price cut for a while, so it's up to you.

damn, I disagree. I'm loving the story and characters. the dialogue between Komaru and Toko cracks me up and they have such a great dynamic. I enjoyed the puzzles and shooting as well. I wish the game had a dodge mechanic to make the fights more fast paced but I am enjoying it a lot more than I was expecting.

ah well

jonjonaug

The story takes a while to get going, the first half isn't incredibly interesting but the second half is good. The relationship between Komaru and Toko however is always excellently written and 90% of the game's script is just those two talking to each other, so it was enough to keep me going when the stuff involving the main villains of the game felt stale.

As for the gameplay, it's pretty good. Nothing too special but a lot better than I would have expected out of a third person shooter made by Spike Chunsoft.

Elios83

yes, yes and yes

The story takes a while to get going, the first half isn't incredibly interesting but the second half is good. The relationship between Komaru and Toko however is always excellently written and 90% of the game's script is just those two talking to each other, so it was enough to keep me going when the stuff involving the main villains of the game felt stale.

As for the gameplay, it's pretty good. Nothing too special but a lot better than I would have expected out of a third person shooter made by Spike Chunsoft.

Thank you for the replies =)
Ideally I'd buy this at 20$ which is the price I paid for the previous two games.
For now I guess I'll stick just to MGSV until I finish it and then I'll decide.

Hey yall, currently at the beginning Chapter 4 and have a question.

I always use Auto on voiced scenes (amd switch when its non voiced scenes) but alot of the time it skips the voice part as if I pressed a button to skip the text part. Making me miss some end voice in each sentence. Is anyone else having this problem? If noone else does, maybe I just have a loose button or something? I have a very powerful fan blowing on me at all times, so I thought maybe it was activating the touch screen but a unauto'd it and tested the front and rear touchscreens and those don't seem to move text so I dunno. (Its English version without patch btw) It didn't really start happening until
Shirokuma
showed up and happened with him alot but now it happens everywhere at random.

Hey yall, currently at the beginning Chapter 4 and have a question.

I always use Auto on voiced scenes (amd switch when its non voiced scenes) but alot of the time it skips the voice part as if I pressed a button to skip the text part. Making me miss some end voice in each sentence. Is anyone else having this problem? If noone else does, maybe I just have a loose button or something? I have a very powerful fan blowing on me at all times, so I thought maybe it was activating the touch screen but a unauto'd it and tested the front and rear touchscreens and those don't seem to move text so I dunno. (Its English version without patch btw) It didn't really start happening until
Shirokuma
showed up and happened with him alot but now it happens everywhere at random.
I don't have much help for you but I will add on that sometimes the sound fx from using the dance bullet keep playing ad nauseum until I'm able to save and exit the game completely. This has happened to me twice. Add in the save bug, and this game isn't particularly well put together.

I don't have much help for you but I will add on that sometimes the sound fx from using the dance bullet keep playing ad nauseum until I'm able to save and exit the game completely. This has happened to me twice. Add in the save bug, and this game isn't particularly well put together.
I lost all audio once.

Alright thanks. Sucks that this game suffers from so many big to small glitches. I also had the dancing glitch, but the sound just faded away after I exited the Monokuman (or whatever its called) trial and was walking along the next area when it suddenly stopped lol.

I had this happen with two different sound effects. The first one in Chapter 1 I thought was part of the creepy atmosphere, but when it persisted to the next chapter I knew something was wrong.

also

Banned
Anyone know where to find the scrap
How to Kill Demons Masterpiece no. 2 
in chapter 2? I checked this guide but the location of the scrap
(number #14, T on map 2-6) is marked out of bounds
. I also found a JP guide that
has the scrap marked in a slightly different location (C)
but I still can't find it.

EDIT: And just as I post this, I find it.

The first two chapters of this were a slog, but chapter 3 is showing signs of improvement. Hopefully it continues in that direction because based on the first two chapters I wouldn't call this a very good game.

Steel

Banned
The first two chapters of this were a slog, but chapter 3 is showing signs of improvement. Hopefully it continues in that direction because based on the first two chapters I wouldn't call this a very good game.

The gameplay gets better as time goes on. Honestly, it felt like Chapter 1-3 was set up as a gigantic tutorial sequence, it was so easy.

LiK

just finished it, AWESOME. loved it.

i loved how things are explained. a crucial entry in the series.

Never cared for Toko much in DR1 but she is awesome in this. Love her so much.

I just finished. It's the second best Vita game with a Masafumi Takada soundtrack this year.

I had a lot of fun overall. The game play is obviously nowhere near as good as 1 or 2, but the puzzle rooms were at least pretty fun, and I enjoyed exploring to find the books and get those scenes.

The story is overall pretty great, and it sets up some intriguing possibilities.

Has the game released on europe?
Im looking at the game.es website and it says releases on the 11th of september and the OT says it was released on the 4th.
I suppose then that the OT op is wrong but just asking to be sure.

Thud

Released on the 4th here in the Netherlands.

Finished chapter 4 with a D ranking, puzzles were kinda annoying.

Haiji is a lolicon

Thanks guys. Seems
Spanish store have the wrong dates here, because fnac has it aldo for the 11th and el corte ingles has ot for octoner still on their websites, and wouldnt be surprised they have them in store or they are never going to get them. Typical nisa europe not doing a good distribution.

Peff

Thanks guys. Seems
Spanish store have the wrong dates here, because fnac has it aldo for the 11th and el corte ingles has ot for octoner still on their websites, and wouldnt be surprised they have them in store or they are never going to get them. Typical nisa europe not doing a good distribution.

Spain, Italy and (I think) Germany all get the physical version this Friday. If you don't mind going digital, it's already available everywhere.

kurahador

Urgghhh...gave up on Despair difficulty in Chapter 4. The gameplay is becoming too janky for me to enjoy, and I got sound effect stuck in a loop at least twice now.

Mendrox

Spain, Italy and (I think) Germany all get the physical version this Friday. If you don't mind going digital, it's already available everywhere.

Game was released last Friday here in Germany too

Played 2 hours so far and it feels a bit... slow, but the kids are psychos for sure and will do some crazy shit. Also that green haired girl is surely a roboter lol

Volcynika

Beat it last night, enjoyed the ending. Could get another trophy if it was quick to get to a shop to max out scissors, but eh. I'm really not motivated to continue playing it, so may just leave it be.

I was finally able to pickup this game yesterday, after getting back from fan expo Canada on Monday and finishing work on Tuesday.

The Despair is real in this one. Much more animated cutscenes then I was expecting in the in just the prologue.

I'm enjoying the gameplay so far. Getting nice shoots is satisfying. I'll save Genocide Jack for I'm going to die situations. I'm not used twin stick shooting, so it took a while to get used to aiming.

I look forward to the upcoming despair.

LiK

I was finally able to pickup this game yesterday, after getting back from fan expo Canada on Monday and finishing work on Tuesday.

The Despair is real in this one. Much more animated cutscenes then I was expecting in the in just the prologue.

I'm enjoying the gameplay so far. Getting nice shoots is satisfying. I'll save Genocide Jack for I'm going to die situations. I'm not used twin stick shooting, so it took a while to get used to aiming.

I look forward to the upcoming despair.

yea, lots of cutscenes (2D and 3D). I was quite surprised how much there were. definitely felt like it had a bigger budget than the first two games.

haven't looked up the trophy guide but is the Plat easier than the first two games? getting Plat in those were mindnumbing, lol

Not quite as repetitive, but felt like a bit more work to me. It's actually a lot of the same type of repetitive stuff (destroy 1000 Monokumas, get Komaru to lvl 99, etc.), but I feel like earning monocoins to buy all the power-ups is a bit more work in this game. Still, I didn't think it was too hard.

LiK

Not quite as repetitive, but felt like a bit more work to me. It's actually a lot of the same type of repetitive stuff (destroy 1000 Monokumas, get Komaru to lvl 99, etc.), but I feel like earning monocoins to buy all the power-ups is a bit more work in this game. Still, I didn't think it was too hard.

I don't think anything will be as bad as that Monomi minigame in DR2. that took forever~

jonjonaug

I don't think anything will be as bad as that Monomi minigame in DR2. that took forever~

The game is intended to be played twice anyway, since it's unlikely you'll get all of the collectibles and all the A ranks your first time through. As long as you're playing on Despair mode you should have no trouble getting all of the achievements by the end of your second playthrough if you're working from a guide to find the collectibles.

LiK

The game is intended to be played twice anyway, since it's unlikely you'll get all of the collectibles and all the A ranks your first time through. As long as you're playing on Despair mode you should have no trouble getting all of the achievements by the end of your second playthrough if you're working from a guide to find the collectibles.

Despair mode much harder? or relatively the same? I'm assuming it's not bad with all the upgrades unlocked.

sounds easier than the first two games since it's not plain grinding like the School Days game nor does it involve RNG like in Monomi game in DR2. leveling up, killing 1000 Monokumas and getting all upgrades should be piece of cake.

jonjonaug

Despair mode much harder? or relatively the same? I'm assuming it's not bad with all the upgrades unlocked.

sounds easier than the first two games since it's not plain grinding like the School Days game nor does it involve RNG like in Monomi game in DR2. leveling up, killing 1000 Monokumas and getting all upgrades should be piece of cake.

I never found it too hard. You get more coins on Despair mode, it may be difficult to unlock everything in 2-3 playthroughs if you're not playing on it.

The only time I ever died because of a fight in Despair mode was the first Junk Monokuma battle, and even though the ammo is less I never was in any actual danger of running out of bullets (except Dance at first, which sucks when there are multiple Ball Monokumas). Not to mention that the increase in money is significant and allows you to pretty much buy out the entire bling bullet store of the chapter as soon as you get there and even leaves some extra funds for Genocider stuff.

h0tp0ck3t

I started off on Despair mode and other than having to resort to a dance + eye shot combo when getting low on break ammo it wasn't really that difficult

Edit: Post number 999? Time to replay that game

LiK

I never found it too hard. You get more coins on Despair mode, it may be difficult to unlock everything in 2-3 playthroughs if you're not playing on it.

cool, i'll check a guide later. should be easy then.

I started off on Despair mode and other than having to resort to a dance + eye shot combo when getting low on break ammo it wasn't really that difficult

yea, I didn't have much trouble in Normal mode at all. Despair shouldn't be too bad.

Top Bottom