• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls |OT| Monokuma and Co.

Beat this yesterday. I had a great time with it, particularly with the puzzles/challenges and the story of course. Like others here, this game made me appreciate Toko a lot more (I didn't care for her in DR1), and Komaru was a great protagonist.

I still prefer the VN style of the mainline games, but it was nice to change it up a bit, and I think the gameplay was enjoyable enough. I don't play many shooters, but even with my limited experience with it, I thought those aspects were serviceable. I certainly didn't find it a hindrance to the game at all, but the puzzles and the story were the highlights for sure.

I'm really excited to see where they go with DR3. I hope they continue the trend of mainline entries in the traditional style with side stories being told via different genres. The rumors of a DR RPG have me salivating.

On to the spoiler topic...

Tizoc

Finally got the game and just started.
I finished the prologue which was longer than it had any right to be hah.
But man this is the most fucked up start of a game I've seen whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Finally got the game and just started.
I finished the prologue which was longer than it had any right to be hah.
But man this is the most fucked up start of a game I've seen whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

That's only the beginning, it gets way more fucked up puhuhu.

schlew

Word of warning to anyone playing.

Not sure if it's strictly related to Chapter 2 or not, but as soon as I wrapped up Chapter 1 and agreed to Save my game, I pressed the Vita Home button and closed the game. When I tried to load that save today, it would say it had loaded, but then revert right back to the Start Screen (where it asks New Game of Load Game). I even tried to load that save while in-game from an earlier save point, but no dice.

Luckily I had a save just 20 minutes earlier, so it wasn't too bad, but lame none the less.

I suppose my only advice is to not completely quit the game after one of those "Would you like to save your game?" moments. Perhaps let some dialogue go by, or whatever, then quit if need be.

Anyways, just looking out for my fellow Danganronpa lovers!

Thud

I didn't need help with any of the puzzles in the game, they were all super easy. The only weird one was the Zodiac puzzle, but that was only because it has three valid solutions by my reckoning. You guys need to play some real adventure games.

The other puzzles were made by children so it would make sense this one sticks out.

Monokuman challenges are easy to mess up.

Not sure if it's strictly related to Chapter 2 or not, but as soon as I wrapped up Chapter 1 and agreed to Save my game, I pressed the Vita Home button and closed the game. When I tried to load that save today, it would say it had loaded, but then revert right back to the Start Screen (where it asks New Game of Load Game). I even tried to load that save while in-game from an earlier save point, but no dice.

Luckily I had a save just 20 minutes earlier, so it wasn't too bad, but lame none the less.

I suppose my only advice is to not completely quit the game after one of those "Would you like to save your game?" moments. Perhaps let some dialogue go by, or whatever, then quit if need be.

Yeah, it's a known bug. It can happen at any in between chapter save point apparently.

It's recommend to have alternating saves throughout the game, and to save often because the game can crash randomly too.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's sounding like a glitch that occurs if you exit out of the game & try to load a save right after finishing a chapter. Save points don't seem to be affected.

Also, I guess I should mention a few things about the OST & artbook.

Artbook is...alright, as always. You might want to wait a bit though since it spoils a few small things like enemies, Jataro without his mask, the people you'll meet that might be related to the cast, etc. before looking at it. The OST, though, is probably the best in terms of actually being related to the game. DR1's was lame, as it barely had any actual music from the game, save for the executions, & some...okay remixes. DR2's was a bit better, but still was missing a good amount of music (but it has P.T.A so I'm happy). This, however, actually feels like they got a good amount of game music on here with no remixes & such. It feels the most "complete" in terms of music from the game. There might be a few tunes missing, but at least I feel like they got a good amount of songs from the game on here without me going "aw man, they left THAT out?!".

The other puzzles were made by children so it would make sense this one sticks out.

Monokuman challenges are easy to mess up.

Yeah, that's how I felt. The Monoku Man challenges are really easy to mess up. One simple thing and you have to restart to pass or finish the room and move along.

Thud

In chapter 4 I had a funny glitch.

There is that Monokuman challenges outside on the street with a bomber monokuma and a couple destroy monokuma. There is wall you blow up to return to the map. However I got in from that wall by destroying it on the other side. The challenge music starts and there is nothing except that chest which you cant open, because the game thinks your inside the challenge. Actually any action considering examine couldn't be done, so I couldn't leave through the door you're supposed to go through.

It was easy to fix. Leave the area and go through the door using the intended route. Weird lol.

Yeah, that's how I felt. The Monoku Man challenges are really easy to mess up. One simple thing and you have to restart to pass or finish the room and move along.

Sometimes you can just loadscum away and that also works haha.

Hoping to buy the game tomorrow. Fuck you nisa for treating us like shit.
buying also ps2 ace combat 4 and 0 that finally found second hand on GAME, bought ace combat 5 when i was looking for danganronpa another episode two days ago

kurahador

Anyone has any tips on how to get that 10k monocoins trophy?

I mean...fucking hell, 10k????
And does the B ranking trophy unlocks automatically by getting all A's?

Labrys

I think it counts all coins through a playthrough, at my end stats it said i'd gathered around 8.5k total. Going back on Ultra Despair with the extra money powerup should make it a little easier.

And, I'm not sure but I'd assume that's the case regarding the endings.

I think it counts all coins through a playthrough, at my end stats it said i'd gathered around 8.5k total. Going back on Ultra Despair with the extra money powerup should make it a little easier.

And, I'm not sure but I'd assume that's the case regarding the endings.

I just kept replaying chapter 4 up to the point where you
enter the factory.
There's a fair number of monokumas you can get through quickly, and if you keep making most of the skill shots, especially on harder difficulties, it makes it relatively easily.
The factory is a good place to grind levels and up your monokuma kill count too, if you need those trophies. Just keep tripping the alarms.

Just a note, you will need well over 10k to get all of the trophies (one of the bling bullets costs 10k exactly). Also note that you need to be holding 10k at one time, it doesn't count monocoins you've spent.

For endings, yes, all A ranks unlocks the all B's trophy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You also have a better chance of getting more if you aim for eye shots, especially if you have the skills that raise the chances of items dropping equipped.

Either later today or so, hoping to start Ch. 4, but I've been distracted by Project Mirai DX & then Super Mario Maker later today.

LiK

I had a similar save bug in Chapter 4. basically Chapter start saves are unreliable so only save at the ducks and take a break after that.

Starting this game, should I go Normal or Despair mode? I have no problem with challenge unless it's some ungodly shit.
Despair mode just means less ammo from pickups (in Normal mode ammo pickups tend to fill you up to capacity) and less time in time-limited segments, as far as I could tell.

Despair mode just means less ammo from pickups (in Normal mode ammo pickups tend to fill you up to capacity) and less time in time-limited segments, as far as I could tell.

I'm so glad I went with Despair then, the limited ammo(which isn't that bad) has made the game exciting.

GOTTA HIT THOSE RED EYES!

You have to download that JP voice pack DLC thing. It's free, but like 1.7GB and I think from earlier in this thread, it adds subtitles to the cutscenes.

My 16gb cart can't handle it considering i'm 100% digital with Vita. I'll just have to manage. It's not a huuuuge problem but I'm so used to having subtitles.

Syrinx

In the middle of Chapter 2, at the part where
Towa kicks you out of the secret bunker cause Toko is with the Future Foundation.

I like it and can't wait to see more, but the main jarring thing for me is
knowing all this crucial information from the other games (the first specifically) that Komaru is completely oblivious to. Especially considering she's hanging around somebody
just as privy to this information.

On another note, (D1 spoilers just in case)
I haven't even seen too much of Monaca yet, but she may be even more twisted and disturbing than Junko.

Rich!

My 16gb cart can't handle it considering i'm 100% digital with Vita. I'll just have to manage. It's not a huuuuge problem but I'm so used to having subtitles.

Just do what I did and delete DR1 or something in the meantime. Upload the save to cloud storage first. Back the game up to your PC or download after finishing despair girls.

Alfredo

Platinum'd this game last night. This is the only Danganronpa game I've gotten a Platinum in (and it might be my first Platinum trophy ever, I don't remember). Much more appealing to replay an action game over and over instead of a visual novel, lol.

I actually really enjoy the gameplay. I kind of wish there was more of it between the lengthy cutscenes.

I wonder what Danganronpa 3 will take from this. Maybe going "third person shooter" again would be going too far, but third person exploration of full 3D environments would be cool.

LiK

Platinum'd this game last night. This is the only Danganronpa game I've gotten a Platinum in (and it might be my first Platinum trophy ever, I don't remember). Much more appealing to replay an action game over and over instead of a visual novel, lol.

I actually really enjoy the gameplay. I kind of wish there was more of it between the lengthy cutscenes.

I wonder what Danganronpa 3 will take from this. Maybe going "third person shooter" again would be going too far, but third person exploration of full 3D environments would be cool.

I'm assuming maybe DR3 proper would use a combination of both types of gameplay. I'd rather have the 3rd person shooting than those other minigames during the trials.

Labrys

You have to download that JP voice pack DLC thing. It's free, but like 1.7GB and I think from earlier in this thread, it adds subtitles to the cutscenes.

It only adds subtitles if you're using the Japanese voices though, if you're using the dub and want subtitles, you're shit out of luck (like I was).

I'm assuming maybe DR3 proper would use a combination of both types of gameplay. I'd rather have the 3rd person shooting than those other minigames during the trials.

"Improved x2 Hanged Man Gambit: Works the same as Improved Hanged Man Gambit but this time the shooting is in 3D 3rd person view!"

FluxWaveZ

Gross, absolutely not.

Remove all of the extraneous crap and just make it straightforward. Nonstop Debates, Rebuttals and Closing Arguments are the best parts of the trials. Focus on improving those, and focus on removing rhythm game and needless other mini-game crap. Streamline some of them, like making the Logic Dives more like Ace Attorney 5's Revisualization. Kodaka said it himself: they were basically an afterthought because someone told him a straight VN wouldn't be too compelling for their target audience. DR is an established name now, so they don't need to be doing that anymore.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
DR1's Hangman, meh, I wouldn't mind.

I have voiced my hatred for "Improved" Hangman's Gambit in DR2 many, many times.

I do wonder if they'll stick with the models similar to Another Episode, but still have the character portraits as well.

im picking this up tomorrow(swear to god if i have to wait another day ill go insane)
is the messed up shit Mirai Nikki level? or a level even further beyond that?

FluxWaveZ

I wonder if animated portraits would take something away from the static DR portraits. Ace Attorney sprites have a few frames of animation and they lend a lot to the feel of those games and their characters.

Mirai Nikki isn't messed up at all, so it's a weird comparison. I guess relatively, DR:AE is far more poignant.

Corpekata

Banned
Really not feeling this so far. In Chapter 2. Feels like it's missing all of the good parts of the series like the drama of the trials and mysteries in favor of lore for a world I never found that interesting and "hey it's that guy from the other game! Or someone related to him!" level fan service. Mechanics are kind of bland and it's hard to even get into them with how frequently the game stops for story segments, which are often not serving a ton of purpose. Oh boy, Toko stammers and is angry with something Komaru is doing for the 30th time, and also let's include a tutorial or hint that a baby monkey would get without needing to be told.

The small cast of characters doesn't help, and the villains are more annoying and irritating than interesting or fun.

Hope it gets better.

I wonder if animated portraits would take something away from the static DR portraits. Ace Attorney sprites have a few frames of animation and they lend a lot to the feel of those games and their characters.

Mirai Nikki isn't messed up at all, so it's a weird comparison. I guess relatively, DR:AE is far more poignant.

ok Eva then

im picking this up tomorrow(swear to god if i have to wait another day ill go insane)

I'd say a bit beyond in terms of what gets focused on. Mirai Nikki does have some really fucked up shit in it, but most of that is either an afterthought or not handled with the same level of seriousness as AE.

Top Bottom