• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#DCTV News Round-Up: More Crossovers, Casting, New "Show" and First Looks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

I guess there's a summer TCA tour going on right now so we've gotten a decent amount of tidbits here and there so instead of doing new threads for them all or burying it in a DC TV Community Thread

First the "new show" is another animated series on the CW Seed. Freedom Fighters: The Ray

ray1.jpg

Raymond “Ray” Terrill was a reporter who discovered a group of government scientists working on a secret project to turn light into a weapon of mass destruction. But before he could report on his findings, the project head exposed Ray to a “genetic light bomb.” The bomb failed to kill him and instead gifted Ray with light-based powers. With these abilities, Ray realized he could go beyond reporting on injustice — he could take action to help stop it. Calling himself The Ray, he was recruited by Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters to fight violence and oppression wherever it exists.

Next up, we got our first look at the new Vixen for DC's Legends of Tomorrow
CplygumUMAAN-q8.jpg:large

Look at the aged up Poison Ivy and Mad Hatter from Gotham
CplgOWlXgAAHnIk.jpg

poisonivyjpg-a2d842_765w.jpg

Casting a maybe SPOILERS for some!
Sharon Leal will play Miss Martian on Supergirl
Dolph Lundgren will be the villain in Arrow's season 5 flashbacks
Lance Henriksen is playing Justice Society member Obsidian
Chris Woods is Mon-El on Supergirl
Grey Damon has been cast on The Flash as Mirror Master

On crossover
There will be a 2nd Supergirl/Flash crossover, which is a musical episode..

I may have missed some news so please let me know.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Wait.....Poison Ivy aged about a decade for Gotham between seasons?

I know they recast, but that is extreme. Is she still going to have the same relationship with Selina?

Penguin

The show announced back in June that relative newcomer Maggie Geha would be replacing Clare Foley as Ivy Pepper, and now, we have your first look at Geha's Ivy, whose sudden growth spurt will apparently be triggered by a run-in with an escaped monster from Indian Hill.
...#Comics

Penguin

Aww, why'd they recast Vixen? Bummer

Miss Martian
on Supergirl though. Neat.

Not recasting... it's her grandmother from the 1940s

(The actual actress is busy with her own show but will still do the voices for the animated series season 2)

Effect

Aww, why'd they recast Vixen? Bummer

Miss Martian
on Supergirl though. Neat.

The new Vixen is suppose to be the grandmother or great grandmother of the one on Arrow and CW Seed. I believe the actress and voice actor for the character wasn't available at the time they were going to be filming Legends of Tomorrow. It should be interesting because while Vixen herself isn't a legacy character as far as I know the totem she uses can be passed on so it still works.

That's what I remember them saying when they originally announced her casting. Don't know if they decided to change that and simply recast the original actress.

Platy

HELLOOOOO MEGAN !

Also what the fuck is this Mad Hatter ... is he from a time travel episode or something ?

Is he a hipster ?

I know they recast, but that is extreme. Is she still going to have the same relationship with Selina?

Nah it is just a 13 year old in the body of a hot women know to seduce men, nothing creepy about it why are you making this scary face?

edit :

Both Grant Gustin and Melissa Benoist (flash and supergirl) were on Glee ! =D

Volimar

NPH as Music Meister would be such a get.

The new Vixen is suppose to be the grandmother or great grandmother of the one on Arrow and CW Seed. I believe the actress and voice actor for the character wasn't available at the time they were going to be filming Legends of Tomorrow. It should be interesting because while Vixen herself isn't a legacy character as far as I know the totem she uses can be passed on so it still works.

Oh cool. I'm out of the loop on summer time news.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Why are people so down on the idea of musical episodes? These aren't taut super serious dramas, they're bubblegum superhero shows. They need some cool things like this to pad out a 23 episode season anyway.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So uhh... Firestorm lives in my building maybe? lol

Was getting out of the elevator in my lobby and Franz Drameh is there with his bags. Gave him a "...Firestorm?" "Yeah man!" And then we give a nod and part ways.

Off the top of my head, Kara, Barry, Joe, Winn, Cisco and Alex can sing.

Plus shows like Buffy proved you can make musical episodes when most of the cast can't sing.

Nabs

I can't wait for the Musical Crossover, The Flash cast was made for this moment. Hopefully they can get NPH to play a live action Music Meister.

Victor Garber needs to make an appearance as well.

EulaCapra

In LGBT DCTV news:

-Diversity is big deal for the EPs. They also want to enlist aliens of colors. Andrew Kreisberg revealed “That one of the characters on one of the shows will explore their sexuality.” Fan speculation believe that could be Jeremy Jordan’s character on Supergirl, Winn Schott.
On the heels of Vixen, CW Seed is introducing another superhero series with an eye toward joining the CW’s DC Universe. The animated Freedom Fighters: The Ray — which comes from the uber-producer behind the CW’s DC Universe, Greg Berlanti, and one of his top lieutenants, Marc Guggenheim — will introduce the first gay superhero to lead a show. The series will premiere on the digital platform in 2017. Like with Vixen, the idea is to have the character cross over in a live-action form to the CW’s Flash-Arrow universe. The plan is to have the actor who voices the lead play the character on the CW series, the network’s president Mark Pedowitz said Thursday at TCA.

In DC’s Multiversity series, writer Grant Morrison updated the Freedom Fighters to better reflect American demographics. CW Seed’s series is inspired by Morrison’s new take on the character.

More news:

“We had a character who we had discussed as a possibility last year internally, and it didn’t materialize,” Berlanti told reporters after the panel. “We didn’t get to the story. We just didn’t have enough real estate to deal with it in the way that we wanted to deal with it. So when we were planning this season, we said to the network and the studio that it was a priority for us, and everyone was cool with it.” He added: “And obviously, because the character hadn’t been gay, we hadn’t necessarily discussed it with the actor, too.” That cast member, the EP noted, was on board with the change.

Berlanti confirmed that the character is someone who is currently on one of the series — “It’s not a new character that’s been added” — and that it is neither Arrow‘s Curtis nor Legends‘ Sara, both of whom are established LBGT characters. The EP stressed that the development would be handled so “it feels real to us and that it feels real that this character could have been struggling with not expressing this, and then real as they start to discover it, and then, obviously, real as they settle into being who they really are.”

I hope the character coming out isn't just Legends of Tomorrow's Obsidian who has yet to debut. Or even the character played by Jeremy Jordan, who fried my gaydar after learning that he was married to a woman IRL. I can't tell with Broadway vets anymore. UPDATE: confirmed it's an already established character.

And I did not know the latest incarnation of The Ray was gay. Nice.

Primus

So far in Supergirl we've had a Legion Flight Ring, Coluans c/o Indigo/Brainiac-8, and now Mon-El.

So damn close to a Legion of Super Heroes show.

MartyStu

My guess is Alex as well especially with Maggie becoming a char in Season 2, and don't believe she had a single date in season 1

Maggie? You mean Maggie Sawyer? Did not know she was cast.

Well then, how is this even a conversation. It is definitely Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom