• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to watch Glee, but actually stopped watching it shortly after she was introduced in it, so I didn't see many episodes with her. Heh.

Season 1 is the only season I felt was actually worth watching.

Joni

She was likeable as an actress/singer, but the character wasn't really fleshed out and the storylines she was involved in were usually bad. On the other hand, the villains always had that show. Like Grant Gustin as Sebastian or Kitty (Becca Tobin) as a foil for Marley.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I used to watch Glee, but actually stopped watching it shortly after she was introduced in it, so I didn't see many episodes with her. Heh.

Season 1 is the only season I felt was actually worth watching.

Yeah, it went downhill quite fast after Season 1.
She was likeable as an actress/singer, but the character wasn't really fleshed out and the storylines she was involved in were usually bad. On the other hand, the villains always had that show. Like Grant Gustin as Sebastian or Kitty (Becca Tobin) as a foil for Marley.

Yeah, they never really committed to the new cast lol.

https://instagram.com/p/6oHsSKJVza/
Melissa Benoist said:
The Super Girl Scouts of Oklahoma dropped by National City today... #girlscouts

De0lOs9.jpg

Edit:
https://instagram.com/p/6oIJHHpV1G/
Mellisa Benoist said:
...and I'm pretty sure we had a good time :D #girlscouts

0YO57rm.jpg

Sober

Hopefully in the future there won't be terrible dudes asking those girls if they actually know all the Supergirl lore from the very beginning and if they don't they aren't real fans, etc.

New "Be Super" trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Wnf5r-Sb0

Still just using pilot footage, though. But they are still in the middle of shooting the next few episodes, so that doesn't surprise me. Anyway, there's exactly 2 months left until the premiere.

Edit: The test for 'Supergirl' team is to focus on Melissa Benoist's character, not her powers

Also, the official pilot plot synopsis was released: https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/supergirl/about

SUPERGIRL is an action-adventure drama based on the DC Comics character Kara Zor-El, Superman’s (Kal-El) cousin who, after 12 years of keeping her powers a secret on Earth, decides to finally embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be. Twelve-year-old Kara escaped the doomed planet Krypton with her parents’ help at the same time as the infant Kal-El. Protected and raised on Earth by her foster family, the Danvers, Kara grew up in the shadow of her foster sister, Alex, and learned to conceal the phenomenal powers she shares with her famous cousin in order to keep her identity a secret. Years later at 24, Kara lives in National City assisting media mogul and fierce taskmaster Cat Grant. She works alongside her friend and IT technician Winn Schott and famous photographer James Olsen, who Grant just hired away from the Daily Planet to serve as her new art director. However, Kara’s days of keeping her talents a secret are over when Hank Henshaw, head of a super-secret agency where her sister also works, enlists her to help them protect the citizens of National City from sinister threats. Though Kara will need to find a way to manage her newfound empowerment with her very human relationships, her heart soars as she takes to the skies as Supergirl to fight crime.

Interview with Melissa Benoist (Supergirl) about the show from Extra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVsDOimbN6o

Interview with Mehcad Brooks (James "Jimmy" Olsen): http://www.kryptonsite.com/supergirl-mehcad-brooks-on-gadgets-lucy-teri-hatcher/

And for you people who like pictures:

https://instagram.com/p/6oRYdpp6zL/
Ali Adler said:
Look at this dynamic duo on the set of #Supergirl @supergirlofficial @supergirlcbs @melissabenoist @levizmiller #pan

11311486_1619498501665871_1926319583_n.jpg
https://instagram.com/p/68dwJmJ62y/
Ali Adler said:
#Supergirl @melissabenoist is very tenacious about her daily dose of doughnuts and friendships

11256977_523321127837360_1176946094_n.jpg

Man, I wish I could have doughnuts and friendships and ice cream every day. Lucky Supergirl cast and crew!

Edit: I guess IGN likes pictures, too: Melissa Benoist Proves Supergirl’s Normal Activities Are Awesome

Joni

They should just put those elements in the show. She is supposed to be some beacon of hope, an even more bright version of Superman. Wouldn't it make sense for her to be at some girl's scout rally before flying off to save someone?

zugzug

so I keep seeing this 30 second commercial with her walking foward as guys fire bullets off her chest and I can't stop thinking as I see it more and more man that looks fucking utterly terrible. The way the bullets bounce off her chest everytime and can't even see the bullets just golden flashes of light.

Jetman

Saw the first episode of this at Comic Con and it was pretty terrible. And I wanted to like it so bad - I mean this actress who plays Supergirl is perfect for the role, the writing just killed it for me. The strengths of the writing should have been the link this show has to Man of Steel and his world, and it just ends up being the weakness of the show (mainly how Superman "interacts" with her).

IconGrist

Saw the first episode of this at Comic Con and it was pretty terrible. And I wanted to like it so bad - I mean this actress who plays Supergirl is perfect for the role, the writing just killed it for me. The strengths of the writing should have been the link this show has to Man of Steel and his world, and it just ends up being the weakness of the show (mainly how Superman "interacts" with her).

But this show isn't linked to Man of Steel at all.

Magwik

Banned
I wish every DC property on TV was connected to the the movies.

Makes it easier to collect.
Then The Flash show wouldn't exist and it's the best thing to happen to DCTV in years. Then again Arrow Season 3 would likely have never happened as well ...

Unless the writing/pilot has changed, it definitely is.

The very first thing you see in the pilot is a conception of Krypton that looks, feels, and is absolutely NOTHING like the one you saw in Man of Steel. It becomes immediately obvious the two aren't linked. You see Jor-El and Lara launch Clark onscreen. It does not look like how it looked in Man of Steel at all.

They're not the same universes. They put that right up front. I'll give Berlanti this - for as much as he annoyed the shit out of me with his handling of Superman in this show (it stops the pilot cold every fucking time) he was pretty good about not going to great expository pains regarding how this universe has nothing to do with the Man of Steel one. It's not exactly subtle, but it's made clear about every 4 or 5 minutes that we're not in that universe.

Jetman

The very first thing you see in the pilot is a conception of Krypton that looks, feels, and is absolutely NOTHING like the one you saw in Man of Steel. It becomes immediately obvious the two aren't linked. You see Jor-El and Lara launch Clark onscreen. It does not look like how it looked in Man of Steel at all.

They're not the same universes. They put that right up front. I'll give Berlanti this - for as much as he annoyed the shit out of me with his handling of Superman in this show (it stops the pilot cold every fucking time) he was pretty good about not going to great expository pains regarding how this universe has nothing to do with the Man of Steel one. It's not exactly subtle, but it's made clear about every 4 or 5 minutes that we're not in that universe.

Wow, well, if it isn't, then that strikes me as really strange given the story. I assumed that the Krypton shots were just due to TV/licensing limitations somehow. I think I even remember straight up scenes where they either quoted The Supes/Zod fight in Metropolis or had it on the front page of some paper on the wall. I haven't really kept up with the press on this so, had no idea that it was a seperate entity.
That, I guess, would explain the scene where she's
"captured" by the government
Wow, well, yeah, I'll have to do some digging on the press for this.
Totally agree on the handling of Superman
and the Jimmy Olsen thing. I'm going to eyeroll every episode if that's the length of her interaction with her cousin

Wow, well, if it isn't, then that strikes me as really strange given the story. I assumed that the Krypton shots were just due to TV/licensing limitations somehow. I think I even remember straight up scenes where they either quoted The Supes/Zod fight in Metropolis or had it on the front page of some paper on the wall. I haven't really kept up with the press on this so, had no idea that it was a seperate entity.
That, I guess, would explain the scene where she's
"captured" by the government
Wow, well, yeah, I'll have to do some digging on the press for this.
Totally agree on the handling of Superman
and the Jimmy Olsen thing. I'm going to eyeroll every episode if that's the length of her interaction with her cousin

Kara Zor-El in the movie universe was on Earth 10,000 years ago if I'm remembering the prequel comic correctly, that's where the ship Clark found that was buried underground came from.

Superman in Supergirl
has already been active for over 10 years.
It doesn't align with Man of Steel at all.

Jetman

Kara Zor-El in the movie universe was on Earth 10,000 years ago if I'm remembering the prequel comic correctly, that's where the ship Clark found that was buried underground came from.

Superman in Supergirl
has already been active for over 10 years.
It doesn't align with Man of Steel at all.

Oh, that's right. Forgot about that. Did Snyder ever confirm that body on the ship was supposed to be Kara's?

That one guy did. Which is why we were correcting him. So as to make it easier for him to just enjoy the show.

Haha, thanks man! (Thumbs up)
I'm a DC nerd, so I'll give this show a chance, and I want to see it succeed, just really didn't dig the writing. They showed the Pilot at like 11:00 PM at the Con so maybe I tiredly missed a few details, but if I made the mistake of connecting this to Man of Steel, I see a whole lot of people doing the same.

Haha, thanks man! (Thumbs up)
I'm a DC nerd, so I'll give this show a chance, and I want to see it succeed, just really didn't dig the writing.

Yeah, the way they handled Superman's absence in the pilot is a big problem, but pretty much everything else I thought pointed to a pretty decent start. Benoist plays a really, REALLY charming Kara, and I'm hoping they play to that as much as possible.

Jetman

Yeah, the way they handled Superman's absence in the pilot is a big problem, but pretty much everything else I thought pointed to a pretty decent start. Benoist plays a really, REALLY charming Kara, and I'm hoping they play to that as much as possible.

Oh, yeah, I agree, they cast a perfect Kara in Benoist. I'd never even heard of or seen her before I saw this pilot, and I think her acting in the role was fine.

Since this isn't in the Man of Steel universe, I think they should have just written Superman out of it. Like Supes disappeared years ago, and no one knows where he is, etc. , so Kara has to fill his shoes while he's gone. Then if the show found its legs and validated more funding they could have brought Supes in later.

I don't think I want to see this tied to Arrowverse. Superman's absence there wouldn't make any more sense than it does in this show either.

I do wish they would've written him out too. His presence in the the show is going to be a looming shadow and it's going to be ridiculous to try and work around it since they probably can't actually use him. Also hope that after the pilot the "she's a girl" stuff gets toned way the fuck down because they really bash it over your head to the degree of much eye rolling.

Oh, that's right. Forgot about that. Did Snyder ever confirm that body on the ship was supposed to be Kara's?

I don't remember, I thought it was supposed to be one of the people she fought and the open and empty pod was hers. But that might just be wishful thinking due to my wanting them to explore Clark basically being immortal or nearly so and his finding that out through her and how he'll eventually see everyone he knows and loves die.

Joni

I'm pretty sure they stated that the CBS universe is different from the CW universe. Flash might still be able to crossover because speed force though.
They can be connected if Berlanti is up to it, although it will probably not happen this season:
CBS president Nina Tassler: "Right now we’re not doing it. We’re doing it promotionally, but we’ll always stay open."
CW president Mark Pedowitz: "If they can make it work, that's great. If they cannot, that's fine. But we're open to crossovers."

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Who cares about what universe it's in.
I do, should've been part of the Arrowverse :(

Oh, yeah, I agree, they cast a perfect Kara in Benoist. I'd never even heard of or seen her before I saw this pilot, and I think her acting in the role was fine.

Since this isn't in the Man of Steel universe, I think they should have just written Superman out of it. Like Supes disappeared years ago, and no one knows where he is, etc. , so Kara has to fill his shoes while he's gone. Then if the show found its legs and validated more funding they could have brought Supes in later.

I don't think I want to see this tied to Arrowverse. Superman's absence there wouldn't make any more sense than it does in this show either.
Honestly, Superman should've been out entirely and made her the only "Super" here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom