• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

highrider

Banned
Yup and I'm one of them. Nothing against females. I love them and respect them. I have the best girlfriend in the world and I treat her like a princess. But playing as one in a video game I cannot.

I just cannot enjoy it and immerse my self into the world. As with most high testosterone males we want to come home from a long day at work and put on a video game and feel empowered for a short while. I just cant do that when playing as chick with big tits and vagina.

only exception is Ellie from Last of US. and I have no idea why it didn't bother me with her.

I realize I'm going to get a lot of hate for his post and probably get banned from GAF but just wanted to be honest.

Yeah, people are going to seize on this to show how progressive they are, but I for one can respect your honesty.

Although I completely disagree with your take as I'm dead sick of playing as generic alpha dudes. But then, I don't project myself in to games. If anything, the more different from me the better.

The God

I wonder where the expectation of multiplayer or co-op came from. Was it part of the rumours/leaks, or is it just because they've previously made MP?

I think people assumed because of this

guerrilla-games-horizon-art-1-1024x724.jpg

I guess people didn't consider the possibility of those characters being NPCs.

Damerman

Yup and I'm one of them. Nothing against females. I love them and respect them. I have the best girlfriend in the world and I treat her like a princess. But playing as one in a video game I cannot.

I just cannot enjoy it and immerse my self into the world. As with most high testosterone males we want to come home from a long day at work and put on a video game and feel empowered for a short while. I just cant do that when playing as chick with big tits and vagina.

only exception is Ellie from Last of US. and I have no idea why it didn't bother me with her.

I realize I'm going to get a lot of hate for his post and probably get banned from GAF but just wanted to be honest.

hahaha!

this is so unreasonable.

Kinyou

I think statistics tend to back you up and when given a choice most males choose male.

It's not that crazy to want to play as someone who resembles yourself. After all is that one part of the push for diversity, people wanting to play as some who looks close to themselves.

Not being able to play as a male (which doesn't' happen that often) actually being some sort of dreadful experience is something I don't quite understand though.

Damn. So much negativity already for a game in pre-alpha. Everyone around here has been circle-jerking over The Witcher 3. That game is purely a single player experience. Did that get as many complaints as Horizon is?

Gamers today are just so annoying. Or maybe they've always been that way but now they have a voice.

"No MP? No buy."
"No co-op? No buy."
"Can't change gender? No buy."
"New IP? No buy."
"No dual audio? No buy."
"No physical disc? No buy."
"No custom soundtrack? No buy."
"Has optional DLC? No buy."

This is why we have 100 Assassin's Creed games. This is why we get generic FPSs. This is why we get generic everything. It's the gamer's fault.

Despite some talk about not wanting a female lead and multiplayer I think this topic has been very positive overall. Can't please every one.

kyser73

Can you link or quote this info please ?

Because you can't be fucked to google:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/15/announcing-horizon-zero-dawn/

And in case you can't be fucked to read as far as the first paragraph:

You play as Aloy, a young outcast from a tribal society, who has learned to hunt the machines. Intent on unraveling the many mysteries that surround her, Aloy embarks on a quest that will lead her to discover her own destiny.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Wonder how women feel when most of the games in the industry have male leads.

Oh wait, there's still a big group of female gamers who play those games and I don't see them complaining.

Also, that "I just can't do that when playing as a chick with big tits and vagina" comment sounds just horrible, dude. What the hell. Most respectable female leads aren't even sexualized as your comment appears to imply. Aloy is not sexualized at all, some people have even called her ugly (also a 'what the hell' comment, but that's for another post).

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening

image.php

I don't know...but yeah.

I feel dumber for even reading this.

Edit: I know what this reminds me of! It's like those dudes that said they refused to play San Andreas because they can't identify with a black gangbanger. Yet look how that turned out.

I'd rather they focus on having the best multiplayer possible, see if the game is actually a success, and try to add multiplayer in a sequel.

this open world rpg focus on combat from the launch trailer, it's more similar to Dragon's Dogma than other open world rpg like Witcher, Dragon Age, or Skyrim where the combat, I hate to say this, not very good imo.

all I'll agree with you is that - I'm not fond of the sexualization of females in video games let alone entertainment/media/society, but I disagree everywhere else.

hell, my first Me2 playthrough was with femshep. Zohora Shepard =] <3 :3

I wonder where the expectation of multiplayer or co-op came from. Was it part of the rumours/leaks, or is it just because they've previously made MP?

because the combat remind people of hunting game where co-op is the focus.

and because GG previous games have big focus on multiplayer,

and that concept art leak showing multiple people taking down robodino.

Tigress

Ok, so then you would understand even more so why female gamers might feel strongly that they want more females to play.

After all, you have a hard time playing the opposite gender, why would you expect all females are fine with playing the opposite gender when you can understand why you wouldn't?

Or do you think that female gamers who feel like you should just suffer and deal with playing a male all the time? Sure, some of us are ok with it and some just take it for granted that is how it is, but it really is nice to actually play a character that is more closer to me. I like playing as me in a game (and I am betting you can understand that judging from your post). I want to feel empowered in a game. As a character I can identify with. It's one reason I always play as a female in a game that I can choose my gender. I'm excited about this Horizon character cause she looks kick ass and I really want to play as her.

Also, it's not like they are calling for every game to be a female lead. But to actually have more games that have them. You don't have to play every game. I don't play every game. I skip ones that don't look interesting to me. Why do you think it's ok that games give us no choice in having the same luxory? Is it not ok to let some games have female leads?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Because you can't be fucked to google:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/15/announcing-horizon-zero-dawn/

And in case you can't be fucked to read as far as the first paragraph:

You don't have to be rude . I'm on mobile and read five pages back in this thread trying to find a direct quote. Now that I have this info I can stop speculating. Basegod's curse upon thee for trying to act a fool.

Her name's Aloy. She's in all the screenshots. She's the main character.

Maybe he confirms it in this interview?

I know it was in an interview I watched, but it might have been a different one.
Thanks

BadHand

Why would you need to feel empowered if your already a "high testosterone male"? Sounds like you have some insecurities if anything.

I'm going to assume you haven't played as Ciri in Witcher: Wild Hunt. By the end game she'll make you feel more empowered than Kratos ever could.

all I'll agree with you is that - I'm not fond of the sexualization of females in video games let alone entertainment/media/society, but I disagree everywhere else.

hell, my first Me2 playthrough was with femshep. Zohora Shepard =] <3 :3

I always make a character that resembles myself in games, but for Dragon Age Inquisition I made a redhead(duh) female and I really enjoyed it. Big Tomb Raider fan, hope Ellie is the new lead in TLOU, want Ciri to star in the next Witcher and I'm digging Aloy etc. Give us more female leads!

Tunavi

Banned

302973.jpg

Sakura

I wouldn't go thaaat far.
I did enjoy Dino Crisis and Tomb Raider back in the day.
But I did lose a bit of interest in this title when I saw the protagonist was female. Maybe I'm weird, but I like to self insert when I play games, and female only protagonists make it a bit harder. It's why I don't play those Neptunia games and stuff. But there are plenty of other games out there with male protagonists so it's not really a big deal.

23qwerty

I feel remarkably dumber for having read this.

Kei-

this open world rpg focus on combat from the launch trailer, it's more similar to Dragon's Dogma than other open world rpg like Witcher, Dragon Age, or Skyrim where the combat, I hate to say this, not very good imo.

You shouldn't hate to say it, it's your opinion. I agree with you, the combat in those games you mentioned isn't great. That's fine, you enjoy them for other reasons and for the experiences they provide as a sum of all their parts.

I always make a character that resembles myself in games, but for Dragon Age Inquisition I made a redhead(duh) female and I really enjoyed it.
I know this is gonna sound corny, but I named my femshep after my grandma
and I liked to think in my head that that femshep was an incarnation of my grandmother in the future x3

hao chi

I was really impressed with the trailer. I'll definitely keep an eye on this game.

It sucks that there's still people complaining about female protagonists. I'll honestly never get the complaints about not being able to get immersed in games that have a female main character.

Honesty, no multiplayer is really disappointing. Mostly just because GG create some of the best MP games in the industry. I am still interested, just seems like wasted potential.

Uncharted 4 better delivery on the multiplayer front as Sony is lacking in that dept. I really thought this would be their next big MP game.

Tigress

Oops, the database crashed on me and I didn't realize this actually did get posted and posted again... I liked my second post better.

It's weird seeing friends get upset over all the female protags this year, while I'm like "but is the game fun".

This and Dishonored 2 should be fun. That's all that matters IMO.

Violater

After reading this, I think I need to go do something else now.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I don't understand the obsession of every game needing multiplayer. I like MP games, I play them a good bit, but single player games are also great.

...wait, people are actually arguing about a female lead?

Seriously guys, a game that finally bestows upon us the glory of robot dinosaurs, and you're arguing about gender again?

kyser73

The funniest thing about it is when TR:DE launched loads of people were bitching about the MP being toss because it died on its arse really quickly and it wasn't possible to platinum the game without completing some MP challenges.

Gattsu25

Banned
People keep quoting your post in ridicule but I thought it was pretty good satire. Good joking representation of a vapid privileged person publicly expressing their complete and utter lack of any form of empathy

VanWinkle

Honesty, no multiplayer is really disappointing. Mostly just because GG create some of the best MP games in the industry. I am still interested, just seems like wasted potential.

Uncharted 4 better delivery on the multiplayer front as Sony is lacking in that dept. I really thought this would be their next big MP game.

I didn't at all. I figured for sure UC4 would be the next big MP. I thought this game MIGHT have co-op, but that's about the extent of it.

Tigress

As for people complaining about no MP? There are plenty of games that have MP. Game companies seem to want to put it into everything (it makes more money for one thing).

I'm honestly glad to see this trend of some game companies realizing that some of us still want a good SP experience and want the game to be focused on that. It was getting to the point that it felt like every game company was going to try to push us into MP experiences whether we liked it or not. I'm glad to see that there is some pushback and that some game companies are listening (the worst offender to me, Ubisoft, actually is putting out an AC with no MP at all).

There are plenty of games with MP, co op or PvP. It's not like they are hard to find. Not every game has to have MP and it is nice for us who prefer SP to have some games that focus fully on a good SP experience.

Raptor

What in the name of baby Jesus ....

Shame that there's no multiplayer.

Doesn't even need to be competitive. But something like a horde mode-lite would be enough to grab those gamers who treasure absolute value in their games.

I'm still interested, but I hope the campaign they show off during the next couple of months warrants a full price.

And yes, I am comparing them to Naughty Dog.

Not every game needs multiplayer you guys, even if it's a nice addition. And more variety in main characters is always welcome. I'm tired of playing generic white dude #903. What's nice about this E3 though is that there's been a nice variety of characters.

Holy shit, no multiplayer AND I have to play as a character with tits and a vagina?

Well there goes any interest I had. Plus I'm a moron. A big fucking stupid moron.

Just like one of the dumbest fucks on the internet.

This is almost as bad as Skyrim, which had no multiplayer and the option of being a woman.

Top Bottom