• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

Gattsu25

Banned
Holy shit, no multiplayer AND I have to play as a character with tits and a vagina?

Well there goes any interest I had. Plus I'm a moron. A big fucking stupid moron.

Just like one of the dumbest fucks on the internet.

This is almost as bad as Skyrim, which had no multiplayer and the option of being a woman.

You bring up a good point. This is an RPG that doesn't have multiplayer. No good RPG lacks multiplayer.

This game lacking basic features of the genre confirmed.

That's actually really cool. Talk about immersion. I might have to try something like that.
ah, thanks man. and yeah, believe it or not even though i played through Me2 tons of more times as a male, that first playthrough with that mindset is what had me fall in love with the game. you summed it up in 1 word: immersion.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
An angel just got its wings.
---
TEH-CJ
I have a very high testosterone level, so I can't play games with female main characters.
(Today, 09:28 PM)
image.php

23qwerty

Holy shit, no multiplayer AND I have to play as a character with tits and a vagina?

Well there goes any interest I had. Plus I'm a moron. A big fucking stupid moron.

This is almost as bad as Skyrim, which had no multiplayer and the option of being a woman.

An angel just got its wings.
---

TEH-CJ
I have a very high testosterone level, so I can't play games with female main characters.
(Today, 09:28 PM)
image.php

Dying

Steel

Banned
Wow, that new tag..... Hilarious.

I think people assumed because of this

guerrilla-games-horizon-art-1-1024x724.jpg

I guess people didn't consider the possibility of those characters being NPCs.

Yeah... I also expected the game to be an RPG, but it sure as hell doesn't look like one in the vaguest sense. Maybe an open-world hunting game. Hyped as hell for it though, looks awesome.

J-Skee

It's a shame this thread has so much negativity. This may be my game of the show (even though the 3 unicorns showed up).

But I did lose a bit of interest in this title when I saw the protagonist was female. Maybe I'm weird, but I like to self insert when I play games, and female only protagonists make it a bit harder.

Can people really self insert with predefined game characters? I look a lot like Nathan Drake, but I can't take hundreds of bullets or climb mountains or beat up a guy three times my size. Gender isn't what makes game characters relatable or not.

23qwerty

Wow, that new tag..... Hilarious.

Yeah... I also expected the game to be an RPG, but it sure as hell doesn't look like one in the vaguest sense. Maybe an open-world hunting game. Hyped as hell for it though, looks awesome.

action rpg's are a thing you know

ps hunting games are rpgs

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yup and I'm one of them. Nothing against females. I love them and respect them. I have the best girlfriend in the world and I treat her like a princess. But playing as one in a video game I cannot.

I just cannot enjoy it and immerse my self into the world. As with most high testosterone males we want to come home from a long day at work and put on a video game and feel empowered for a short while. I just cant do that when playing as chick with big tits and vagina.

only exception is Ellie from Last of US. and I have no idea why it didn't bother me with her.

I realize I'm going to get a lot of hate for his post and probably get banned from GAF but just wanted to be honest.

Whenever I read a post like this I always just hear, "I don't have any imagination or basic human empathy."

On this same note, if developers want to increase female PCs and get the industry to the point where a female protag isn't a surprise, THIS is how you do it. Make a game that's too compelling and unique to ignore. Open world is a big thing these days. So are robots. So are dinos. So are RPGs.

I hope Sony markets the crap outta this game. I also hope gamers buy the crap outta this game.

cerulily

Everytime you think "damn i have to play as a woman" Think how we feel every time we play as a man. Trust me, you get used to it and it's not actually a big deal.

Steel

Banned
action rpg's are a thing you know

ps hunting games are rpgs

Yeeeeaaaaahhhh still don't see it. And not all hunting games are RPGs, Monster Hunter doesn't even have a level up system.

Everytime you think "damn i have to play as a woman" Think how we feel every time we play as a man. Trust me, you get used to it and it's not actually a big deal.

I wonder what people who say that think about reading books with female main characters.

This is a game with robot dinosaurs. Robot dinosaurs. People act like you have to deal with the main characters period or she might start giving bjs in first person against your will. The avatar is basically a dude with a skin applied.

How hard is it to relate to another person especially with all the icky sex stuff removed?

Yeeeeaaaaahhhh still don't see it. And not all hunting games are RPGs, Monster Hunter doesn't even have a level up system.

Well this game has loot, crafting an overreaching story and lots of side quests. Not sure about any leveling or skills, but we'll find out more later this year.

I know the combat looked God-tier compared to the trash in many RPGs, but don't let that throw you off!

After thinking about this, I guess where I'm coming from is I haven't played a Guerrilla game where I enjoyed the SP.

I think they do a bang up job on MP and would love to see how they weave MP into this world.

I understand they enlisted a lot of outside help in order to build this world and craft a great RPG. But I'm still skeptical in a SP only game from them.

The gameplay I saw looked amazing, but then again I was impressed with the Shadowfall demo they showed too.

kyser73

I wonder what people who say that think about reading books with female main characters.

I wonder how big the group is that reads books and can't play female characters in games is...

Steel

Banned
Well this game has loot, crafting an overreaching story and lots of side quests. Not sure about any leveling or skills, but we'll find out more later this year.

I know the combat looked God-tier compared to the trash in many RPGs, but don't let that throw you off!

From what I saw it played like a shooter. You can pick up weapons that are dropped from others and instantly equip them, like a shooter. There are plenty of shooters with skills, loot, and side quests. They're still shooters.

Don't get me wrong, the combat looks awesome. The game looks awesome. But we really don't need to call everything an RPG when it's not

I wonder how big the group is that reads books and can't play female characters in games is...

Good point.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
All I need to know is that I can use a sword as well.

She uses a bladed weapon for a stealth kill in the trailer. I assume you can use it in other situations.

From what I saw it played like a shooter. You can pick up weapons that are dropped from others and instantly equip them, like a shooter. There are plenty of shooters with skills, loot, and side quests. They're still shooters.

Don't get me wrong, the combat looks awesome. The game looks awesome. But we really don't need to call everything an RPG when it's not
The devs themselves have said it's an open world action RPG. I'm guessing it's more along the lines of Mass Effect than other RPGs.

Why the fuck do people have issues playing as a female? It's a game. Chill the fuck out.

I'm on the side of why do you care what gender you play as. have me play as a robot and as long as the robot is a cool character I'm good. don't understand the obsession with the gender of a fictional character. like the "you can play as a female? ok now im interested." or like the guy with the kratos avatar basically going "male or gtfo". like what? why does it matter, all we need is a good personality for a mc and thats it, fuck its gender

Sakura

Can people really self insert with predefined game characters? I look a lot like Nathan Drake, but I can't take hundreds of bullets or climb mountains or beat up a guy three times my size. Gender isn't what makes game characters relatable or not.

Yes. I self insert in most games I play.
Though in general I don't play games like Uncharted anyway.
I'm not saying I won't play games with female leads, but just that in addition to the game itself not exactly grabbing me makes me uninterested. I found the female lead to be pretty aesthetically unpleasing too. She looks like she belongs in Skellige or something.

Hunter S.

It's not that crazy to want to play as someone who resembles yourself. After all is that one part of the push for diversity, people wanting to play as some who looks close to themselves.

Not being able to play as a male (which doesn't' happen that often) actually being some sort of dreadful experience is something I don't quite understand though.

Just a preference.
I am a big fan of Lara Croft since the OG Playstation. I played plenty of games as a female when not given a choice.
Have you ever fired a bow though? It takes a lot of strength to pull back and maintain the correct aim. It tires out an unpracticed arm quickly. This character, a little skinny girl who fights with a bow. It just seems weird to me. Give that girl some muscle and I would like her better.

Yup and I'm one of them. Nothing against females. I love them and respect them. I have the best girlfriend in the world and I treat her like a princess. But playing as one in a video game I cannot.

I just cannot enjoy it and immerse my self into the world. As with most high testosterone males we want to come home from a long day at work and put on a video game and feel empowered for a short while. I just cant do that when playing as chick with big tits and vagina.

only exception is Ellie from Last of US. and I have no idea why it didn't bother me with her.

I realize I'm going to get a lot of hate for his post and probably get banned from GAF but just wanted to be honest.

This poster when he comes home from work:

tumblr_n6krk0xlGc1rskk8io1_1401768576_cover.jpg

arhra

This is a game with robot dinosaurs. Robot dinosaurs. People act like you have to deal with the main characters period or she might start giving bjs in first person against your will. The avatar is basically a dude with a skin applied.

How hard is it to relate to another person especially with all the icky sex stuff removed?

The robot dinosaurs are the most offputting thing for me, personally.

I mean, no problem with robots. And dinosaurs are awesome. But there's something about robot dinosaurs, and them apparently existing as part of some kind of self-sustaining ecosystem in a post-apocalyptic world and being hunted by low-tech-level (apart from apparently some scavenged robo-dinosaur parts) post-apocalyptic human remnants that just pushes the parts of my brain responsible for suspending my disbelief past their breaking point.

But everything else about the game looks pretty fucking rad, so maybe once we see more I'll be able to get past that.

Although honestly I don't exactly have much confidence in anything coming out of Guerilla.

Nothing against females. I love them and respect them.

"I'm not a racist, but...."

I have the best girlfriend in the world and I treat her like a princess.

It's always great to start a "I'm not sexist" post out with possessive language.

I just cannot enjoy it and immerse my self into the world. As with most high testosterone males we want to come home from a long day at work and put on a video game and feel empowered for a short while.

Translation: "I'm an Alpha Male and am sick of women trying to be equal".

I just cant do that when playing as chick with big tits and vagina.

Keep on spamming that "I'm not sexist" mantra,

Wait, honestly? Are you so insecure about your views on women that your reaction to actually liking playing as one is "no, that is wrong!"?

Steel

Banned
The devs themselves have said it's an open world action RPG. I'm guessing it's more along the lines of Mass Effect than other RPGs.

Well, I'm not gonna make a huge fuss about it. I didn't see anything in the trailer that made me think "RPG", but w/e. Looking forward to the game.

KoopaTheCasual

All I need to know is that I can use a sword as well.
This, weirdly enough, is my primary concern at the moment. Seeing the spear makes me think there will be melee options, but something about swinging a sword around in the post-apocalypse with robot-dinosaurs seems too hype to pass up.
Why would Sony publish a game on PC?
Didn't Sony have a PC studio until recently?

Edit: But yea, this game is obviously PS4 only.

Good point.

We saw her pick up a limited use weapon from what was basically a boss fight. No idea how common that will be. Are you saying Mass Effect is less of a RPG than Dragon Age because it relies on guns or maybe I'm not understanding something?

Destiny is something I would I would consider a shooter pretending to be a RPG.

Darknight

Some mod took pity on you. You have been spared.

Top Bottom