• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

Fennec

Yup and I'm one of them. Nothing against females. I love them and respect them. I have the best girlfriend in the world and I treat her like a princess. But playing as one in a video game I cannot.

I just cannot enjoy it and immerse my self into the world. As with most high testosterone males we want to come home from a long day at work and put on a video game and feel empowered for a short while. I just cant do that when playing as chick with big tits and vagina.

only exception is Ellie from Last of US. and I have no idea why it didn't bother me with her.

I realize I'm going to get a lot of hate for his post and probably get banned from GAF but just wanted to be honest.

It's all about the writing.

Nothing wrong with what you said (except the "vagina" part). We all have our preferences. If the female character is well written (Ellie for example), it doesn't bother me. But if that character is too stereotyped (Lara croft's moanings), I won't enjoy the game or the story.

Game4life

Banned
From what I saw it played like a shooter. You can pick up weapons that are dropped from others and instantly equip them, like a shooter. There are plenty of shooters with skills, loot, and side quests. They're still shooters.

Don't get me wrong, the combat looks awesome. The game looks awesome. But we really don't need to call everything an RPG when it's not

Good point.

You can use swords. There is melee in this. The devs have confirmed it is an open world RPG.

Yup and I'm one of them. Nothing against females. I love them and respect them. I have the best girlfriend in the world and I treat her like a princess. But playing as one in a video game I cannot.

I just cannot enjoy it and immerse my self into the world. As with most high testosterone males we want to come home from a long day at work and put on a video game and feel empowered for a short while. I just cant do that when playing as chick with big tits and vagina.

only exception is Ellie from Last of US. and I have no idea why it didn't bother me with her.

I realize I'm going to get a lot of hate for his post and probably get banned from GAF but just wanted to be honest.

L
O
L

Mikey Jr.

I honest to God have no idea if this is a troll or not.

I genuinely dont know.

It's all about the writing.

Nothing wrong with what you said (except the "vagina" part). We all have our preferences. If the female character is well written (Ellie for example), it doesn't bother me. But if that character is too stereotyped (Lara croft's moanings), I won't enjoy the game or the story.

Even Ellie is a stereotype though
the lesbian/bisexual tomboy.
I don't think we've seen a female MC who was totally devoid of stereotyping.

Until men get comfortable with both the idea of complex, empowered female characters and that of male characters filling the traditionally female sidekick/love interest roles, we won't get there.

squidyj

As for people complaining about no MP? There are plenty of games that have MP. Game companies seem to want to put it into everything (it makes more money for one thing).

I'm honestly glad to see this trend of some game companies realizing that some of us still want a good SP experience and want the game to be focused on that. It was getting to the point that it felt like every game company was going to try to push us into MP experiences whether we liked it or not. I'm glad to see that there is some pushback and that some game companies are listening (the worst offender to me, Ubisoft, actually is putting out an AC with no MP at all).

There are plenty of games with MP, co op or PvP. It's not like they are hard to find. Not every game has to have MP and it is nice for us who prefer SP to have some games that focus fully on a good SP experience.

havent played ac in a long time but the MP in that was fucking awesome when they added it. I doubt dropping MP is going to make the next one a better sp game either.

Until men get comfortable with both the idea of complex, empowered female characters and that of male characters filling the traditionally female sidekick/love interest roles, we won't get there.

What about Jill and Claire in Resident Evil?

Gattsu25

Banned
Lol I don't think we've gone far enough. We need to go deeper. Who won't play a game if the character isn't white?

Well... in order to enjoy gaming as it is, I've had to exhibit empathy and relate to characters that don't directly represent my demographic all the time.

We all do.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Well... in order to enjoy gaming as it is, I've had to exhibit empathy and relate to characters that don't directly represent my demographic all the time.

We all do.
I mean we all can't be super hero plumbers or mass murdering pulp adventure protagonists.

What about Jill and Claire in Resident Evil?

I dunno. Jill went kinda weird appearance/fanservice-wise in RE5 and Claire
can't stop falling in love with men who become monsters, then being really bummed out that they're monsters

They do come closer than most, along with Fetch from Infamous: First Light, but I'm struggling to think of other major ones.

As for people complaining about no MP? There are plenty of games that have MP. Game companies seem to want to put it into everything (it makes more money for one thing).

I'm honestly glad to see this trend of some game companies realizing that some of us still want a good SP experience and want the game to be focused on that. It was getting to the point that it felt like every game company was going to try to push us into MP experiences whether we liked it or not. I'm glad to see that there is some pushback and that some game companies are listening (the worst offender to me, Ubisoft, actually is putting out an AC with no MP at all).

There are plenty of games with MP, co op or PvP. It's not like they are hard to find. Not every game has to have MP and it is nice for us who prefer SP to have some games that focus fully on a good SP experience.

The Last of Us has one of the best SP campaigns ever as well as an ace MP.

I know, I know, Naughty Gods and all that. But still, Guerrilla Games is one of Sony's elite first party studios too.

I'm totally fine if Guerrilla makes a baller SP that's worth $60. I'll put my money where my mouth is and buy day one. But in a lot of years I haven't seen them do that yet.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There's also the whole "Guys are uncomfortable playing ladies who get romantically involved with men because they somehow equate it with a threat to their own sexuality" thing the Remember Me devs brought up, hence why so many female main characters in fiction are either gay, bi or asexual.

I for one hope Aloy saves the hell out of a dude in distress, then goes Geralt on his ass.
Then gets a nude trading card of him.
I would drink the male tears if that ever happened. (I kinda hope it won't, of course, 'cause it's a shitty trope to begin with, but in this case it'd at least be funny.)

I vote for a male lead. The game looks great except for having to play as a skinny girl. This is a world of hunters and gatherers and as we know most hunters are male. I demand historical accuracy here.
lol That part was added for fun. ;)
Thank the gods for this second post. After TEH's one I wasn't sure lol.

image.php

I don't know...but yeah.
Hahahaha and the tag too... perfect

EloquentM

aka Mannny
can't stop falling in love with men who become monsters, then being really bummed out that they're monsters

They do come closer than most, along with Fetch from Infamous: First Light, but I'm struggling to think of other major ones.
Samus pre other m. It might've only been because she was a silent protagonist up until fusion.

The Last of Us has one of the best SP campaigns ever as well as an ace MP.

I know, I know, Naughty Gods and all that. But still, Guerrilla Games is one of Sony's elite first party studios too.

I'm totally fine if Guerrilla makes a baller SP that's worth $60. I'll put my money where my mouth is and buy day one. But in a lot of years I haven't seen them do that yet.

Naughty Dog had a lot of practice making that kind of game. Horizon is a huge departure for Guerrilla. I would imagine they're still, as a studio, figuring out exactly what a Horizon game is. Co-op machine hunting would be awesome, but if they're sticking with single-player right now I imagine they have a good reason for it.

Yeah, it would be way better if playable lady characters had small tits and penises.

Let me tell you about a little game called "Nier 2."

Lol I don't think we've gone far enough. We need to go deeper. Who won't play a game if the character isn't white?
"When I come home from work I just want to immerse myself in the game, I just can't get immersed in a character that isn't as privileged and has a bigger penis than me"

Naughty Dog had a lot of practice making that kind of game. Horizon is a huge departure for Guerrilla. I would imagine they're still, as a studio, figuring out exactly what a Horizon game is. Co-op machine hunting would be awesome, but if they're sticking with single-player right now I imagine they have a good reason for it.

That's my mindset too. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

Mullah88

This is definitely going to be a franchise. I'm ok with the first not having mp as long as the game is engaging and the npc's don't stand around

Ralemont

not me

Possibly falling in love with one guy (Claire wasn't in love with Steve) who became a monster is a stereotype now? That's a reeeeally strange stereotype. If we're being so specific, there's no such thing as a character who isn't a stereotype, male or female.

harSon

Banned
Does this game have RPG elements? I remember a lot of the rumors behind Guerrilla's next game claimed that it'd be an RPG.

Also, Guerrilla (and Naughty Dog) are fucking graphical wizards. Shit's absolutely insane.

Vegeta! What does the Scouter say about his testosterone level!?

Does this game have RPG elements? I remember a lot of the rumors behind Guerrilla's next game claimed that it'd be an RPG.

Also, Guerrilla (and Naughty Dog) are fucking graphical wizards. Shit's absolutely insane.

There are but they're not ready to talk about it yet beyond what is shown in the reveal.(other than crafting system)

They're calling it an open-world RPG. We don't know what exactly the RPG hooks are. There will be loot, and crafting.

VanWinkle

Yes, it's an action RPG. They mentioned in an interview that this was an action-heavy gameplay sequence, but there are plenty of RPG elements (crafting, quests, etc.) in the game.

Fennec

Of course Ellie was a stereorype too, but a credible and enjoyable one.

Possibly falling in love with one guy (Claire wasn't in love with Steve) who became a monster is a stereotype now? That's a reeeeally strange stereotype. If we're being so specific, there's no such thing as a character who isn't a stereotype, male or female.

Not a stereotype, but not great writing either.
We saw no indication of why Claire liked Neil, then she cries when she finds out he betrayed her. It seemed like a weird way to handle things, though I am glad that Capcom tried to portray Neil as the imperiled dude in distress, at least in Claire's mind.

Of course Ellie was a stereorype too, but a credible and enjoyable one.

Yeah, but she could've been just as credible and enjoyable without being a stereotype. Had Naughty Dog
made Ellie a heterosexual tomboy with a close, platonic female friend and created a separate story centering on a more femme lesbian character, they'd have had two truly unusual and praiseworthy stories instead of a single touching-but-typical one.

Bill, on the other hand, was a perfect gay male character. Super atypical in all of the right ways.

Qvoth

No MP confirmed by Herman Hulst on Gamespot stage show. All SP. Good to hear they're focusing on that.

the dream of a next gen MH is dead ; ;
oh well since it's open world i guess it'll probably have problems with framerate etc if there are multiple players

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yeah, but she could've been just as credible and enjoyable without being a stereotype. Had Naughty Dog
made Ellie a heterosexual tomboy with a close, platonic female friend and created a separate story centering on a more femme lesbian character, they'd have had two truly unusual and praiseworthy stories instead of a single touching-but-typical one.

Bill, on the other hand, was a perfect gay male character. Super atypical in all of the right ways.

To be perfectly honest, although I still like her regardless, I always feel like Ellie is a great example of Naughty Dog just trying too hard to be "progressive."

Ok, so then you would understand even more so why female gamers might feel strongly that they want more females to play.

After all, you have a hard time playing the opposite gender, why would you expect all females are fine with playing the opposite gender when you can understand why you wouldn't?

Or do you think that female gamers who feel like you should just suffer and deal with playing a male all the time? Sure, some of us are ok with it and some just take it for granted that is how it is, but it really is nice to actually play a character that is more closer to me. I like playing as me in a game (and I am betting you can understand that judging from your post). I want to feel empowered in a game. As a character I can identify with. It's one reason I always play as a female in a game that I can choose my gender. I'm excited about this Horizon character cause she looks kick ass and I really want to play as her.

Also, it's not like they are calling for every game to be a female lead. But to actually have more games that have them. You don't have to play every game. I don't play every game. I skip ones that don't look interesting to me. Why do you think it's ok that games give us no choice in having the same luxory? Is it not ok to let some games have female leads?

Everytime you think "damn i have to play as a woman" Think how we feel every time we play as a man. Trust me, you get used to it and it's not actually a big deal.

Yep, these 100%.

I know this is gonna sound corny, but I named my femshep after my grandma
and I liked to think in my head that that femshep was an incarnation of my grandmother in the future x3

Your avatar is creepin' me the fuck out, but this is TERRIBLY sweet, so I had to tell you.

Top Bottom