• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you rate Summer Games Fest 2024?

How do you rate Summer Games Fest 2024?

• A

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • B

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • C

Votes: 52 14.1%
  • D

Votes: 67 18.1%
  • E

Votes: 53 14.3%
  • F

Votes: 184 49.7%

• Total voters

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
GIF by Giphy QA

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Meh, with Kingdom come 2, monster hunter, and that metaphor something something, it’s an E for me.

Those are three games I’m day 1 on

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Really sucks that we used to be excited about this time of year, this show made me realize there's no point in even watching it anymore. Put those 2 hours towards something else, lol.

I did D, but changed to F. There was nothing here.

Last edited:
C-

and this is taking into consideration that it's going to be an ad fest. Overall, it's just boring. Biggest disappointment is that a lot of the indie games shown look very cookie cutter. Just uninspired.

Haint

Negative 65 out of 1000, should been canceled months ago when it became clear no one had nor wanted to show anything.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
All you fuckers are so negative. You got to look at the silver lining. With the big pubs all making a mad dash for ai assets for creative development, GaaS monetization, and increasing base prices, these games will look like the Halcyon Golden age in 5 years by comparison.

Shit.... I'm sorry.
How the fuck are we not gonna be negative after that shit show

El Muerto

Kinda excited for Delta Force. Last good military game was Spec Ops the Line. Aside from MH, Metaphor, and Killer Bean it's a bunch of indie LGBTQ games that i have zero interest in.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I almost want to raise my F to a D with the news that Alan Wake II NIght Springs drops tomorrow....

But nah, still an F.

Blindy

Metaphor, Killer Bean, Power Rangers, SF stuff, Slitterhead, Alan Wake 2 DLC and physical and that capcom game single handedly saved this show and got it from an F to a D. Also laughed about Yong Yea getting the Troy Baker treatment.

Last edited:

ungalo

Given the lenght an F. Even if i'm interested in 2 or 3 games, it was just not worth watching at all.

Last edited:

Aion002

I liked the Silent Hill creator game, the Alan Wake 2 dlc, the Wukong game release date and the Phantom Blade trailer.

But I will probably skip it next year.

D.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
He needs to ban indie games. Ban anything that looks like euro trash. if you cant fill 2 hours then so be it. make an hour long show. or make a 45 minute show.

indies need to go away. no one likes them. get fucked. Put some effort into your games and then maybe we can show them off.

Last edited:

Brigandier

That was the worst gaming show I've endured in many years.

What the fuck was that.....

Oh and there was not enough female leads 🙄

Last edited:
He needs to ban indie games. Ban anything that looks like euro trash. if you cant fill 2 hours then so be it. make an hour long show. or make a 45 minute show.

indies need to go away. no one likes them. get fucked. Put some effort into your games and then maybe we can show them off.

We all know what hes going to do in December. More Celebs, more ads and more Kojima. The act stinks. His show is kind of a reflection of the industry. Copy and paste.

Look at the majority of the trailers, either no gameplay or frenetic editing with that same bass drop boom sound effect . Dour. Soulless.

March Climber

Gold Member
This is probably the toughest conference for me to review, technically on paper it should be a B, but my inner feelings about it makes it a C.

Here's my positives and negatives as I watched the show:

Positives:

+Lego Horizon Adventures
+No More Room in Hell 2
+Harry Potter Quidditch Champions
+Once Human
+Mai, Terry, Elena, and Zombison in SF6 (Is this potentially good news SNK/Capcom relations and CvS fans?)
+Tears of Metal
+Delta Force Hawk Ops and Black Hawk Down gameplay
+Fatal Fury character reveals
+Battle Crush (Party game? Looks fun)
+MMPR Rita's Rewind
+Space Marine 2 gameplay overview June 20th announcement
+Metaphor gameplay description and additional gameplay footage
*On a side note regarding games like Metaphor, I can't wait until the Switch 2 comes out. Collective artistic and graphical bump for all of those creative switch devs.
+Deer & Boy
+KCD 2 new footage
+Slitterhead gameplay reveal (great idea that could maybe use Platinum Games' consultation to take it to the next level)
+Killer Bean (Looks like Just Cause 2)
+Cairn (Mountain Climbing with stakes? Death Stranding-style mountain limbing controls?)
+Wanderstop (Need more info, addicted killer twist?)
+Sonic X Shadow Generations
+Battle Aces (Making a more fun RTS experience)
+Alan Wake Night Springs Shadow Drop
+Path of the Goddess gameplay
+Skate re-reveal with gameplay
+New Palworld content
+Phantom Blade 0 gameplay

+Blumhouse Block: Project C (need more info on all of these games)*

Crisol Theater of Idols
Grave Seasons
Sleep awake
Fear the spotlight
The simulation

*Good to see Blumhouse coming out of the gate swinging and encouraging passion projects.
+Outersloth block (Among Us devs) helping other devs with games and showcasing them.
*Good to see a smaller dev who suddenly blew up in popularity, helping others

Negatives:

-Sadly no pre-show with Sydnee(based on the content shown this makes sense, but I wonder what happened)
-Ubisoft essentially making their Star Wars trailer an ad for their own conference lol
-Quick snap trailers for other games that will be shown elsewhere like Ubisoft's, instead of gameplay demonstrations
-Keighley should have communicated with OTK, they stole the thunder of the Dark and Darker re-reveal for gamers who saw that conference first.
-Keighley should have communicated better with Guerilla Collective too, as they stole a lot of great indie reveals.
-I'm going to guess that Xbox also took some good game reveals too, but I haven't been reading threads. I'll see in 2 days.
-As per usual, weaker middle section compared to stronger beginning and end, however this time the end didn't feel as strong.
-Didn't expect Phantom Blade 0 to be the 'one more thing' game. I don't think an untested I.P. by a developer who isn't that well known in the west was a good idea.

-I'm sorry to any who feel this way, but Capcom is not a 'hold up a conference on it's back' level of publisher. They make really fun games that sell amazingly, but something about them just doesn't scream 'Kojima-level reveal' nor 'Square Enix level reveal' that just blows everything else out of the water. Maybe it's the Monster Hunter I.P. and them not having an RE reveal. I don't know. I hope the game does well.

My rating isn't about the games not being AAA. I gave Guerilla Collective an A and OTK an A-. It's more about the show's pacing and how it feels like a balloon slowly deflating until that final pop (which would be the reveal). Once again Geoff's show pacing betrays him.

Last edited:

Coconutt

I thought it was average, would have been better if they just released the trailers one by one and didn't have these presenters and announcers.

Rat Rage

Gold Member
How do I say this...

The show was well presented, Geoff did a good job, and the trailers looked great and were sophisticatedly produced... BUT jesus fucking christ, almost every fucking game looks the same, feels the same, is either a horror game, a 5v5 online teen shooters, a Dark Souls clone or your generic 3rd person action game.

It is so fucking apparent that the increase in hardware power, starting with the PS2 era, has led to an absurd increase in development budgets (hundreds of millions per game) which in turn has led to an absolut dead end creativity-wise.

It went like this: Increase in hardware power > the generic gamer demands better and better visuals > developers have to "use" the hardware power or better "fill" it with content, and are forced to produce certain kind of games that SHOW what the hardware is capable of > the rise of the 3rd person visceral cinematic narrative- and presentation driven set pice walking simulators starts > the general public is impressed and buys that shit > developers are forced even more to produce these kind of games > decades later: the industry is still stuck in a creativity vortex and forced to produce this kind of games until everyone gets bored to death and the industry collapses.

Videogames wanting to be movies is the worst thing ever.

Who is to blame? The general gaming public and the developers alike. They both put themselves into this misery. The former always demanded more "graphics" and the later didn't find a way to convince them otherwise.

I think I'm getting too old for this shit.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Glad to see the coolest dude in the industry present more Alan Wake 2 stuff! And Metaphor looks cool. That last game looks awesome too.
And Black Myth, but that was just a presentation for the collectors edition.

Besides that stuff.. nothing for me.
But my baclog is quite happy still, and I look forward to the xbox event on sunday.

rkofan87

Gold Member
The lukewarm reception in the audience says everything.

I enjoy some indies , however a lot of these games look like they are made from a console game maker like Dreams or something. It all feels so soulless.

As for this keep expectations low stuff They weren’t high to say the least but isn’t it sad how more and more we are seeing this kind of talk for these things when it should be exciting and fun as something to look forward to? There is something off about it all, are you telling me out of all the developers in this world there isn’t at least one game that could make an impact and gain substantial excitement out of a show like this?

Said it earlier, I’m tired of Geoff as well. Maybe a successor would have similar problems but this guy, he’s stale imo and the act stinks. His co presenter, she was terrible, like some beta AI AR test with test to speech delivery. Very odd.

E3 has had some stinkers in terms of conferences but this has to be one of the worst i have seen. Absolutely soulless.
this sidney g was missed.

How do I say this...

The show was well presented, Geoff did a good job, and the trailers looked great and were sophisticatedly produced... BUT jesus fucking christ, almost every fucking game looks the same, feels the same, is either a horror game, a 5v5 online teen shooters, a Dark Souls clone or your generic 3rd person action game.

It is so fucking apparent that the increase in hardware power, starting with the PS2 era, has led to an absurd increase in development budgets (hundreds of millions per game) which in turn has led to an absolut dead end creativity-wise.

It went like this: Increase in hardware power > the generic gamer demands better and better visuals > developers have to "use" the hardware power or better "fill" it with content, and are forced to produce certain kind of games that SHOW what the hardware is capable of > the rise of the 3rd person visceral cinematic narrative- and presentation driven set pice walking simulators starts > the general public is impressed and buys that shit > developers are forced even more to produce this kind of games > decades later: the industry is still stuck in an creativity vortex and forced to produce this kind of games until everyone gets bored to death and the industry collapeses.

Videogames wanting to be movies is the worst think ever.

Who is to blame? The general gaming public and the developers alike. They both put themselves into this misery. The former always demanded more "graphics" and the later didn't find a way to convince them otherwise.

I think I'm getting too old for this shit.

Good post. I will ask tho, If the former demanded more graphics then why do a fair number of games look like they could comfortably run in years before hardware or are totally uninspired in fidelity or art direction?

What’s the point in paying for new hardware if the expectations are on the consumer and it’s unreasonable to expect something unattainable on what’s come before?

Surely there has to be a better balance between budgets and exciting the consumer?

It’s like when people ask graphics or gameplay? Why can’t both compliment each other in a single title.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Well, I stand corrected. My parts never used E. It must've been long after my time in school.
I moved around a lot when I was going through elementary, middle, and high school. Honestly, most of the states I was in used F’s and not E’s. Where I am now it seems to be mostly E’s, but I also didn’t go to college until my early 30s and it was E’s. You might be onto something, maybe E’s are a newer thing in the states. If I remember correctly, it was F’s in Virginia when I graduated high school longer ago than I’d like to admit….so you really aren’t wrong either lol

Edit - you know what, this is actually a good poll for the “off-topic” forum. I actually going to start it, because now I’m wondering. That’s why I love this place, makes peeps think about things lol

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Fatal Fury and Power Rangers look awesome

Don't give a rats ass about anything else so F

Paltheos

I saw things I like, so that's automatically above an F for me (goddamn, GAF, chill).

Things I've seen that I know I'm getting

Metaphor trailer
Street Fighter 6 season 2 DLC cast reveal
Monster Hunter Wilds (although that one my friends will just coerce me into getting in)

That Sekiro clone, Phantom Blade 0, looked pretty good too. Another Sonic Generations... could be ok (although I've never liked the 2D compromises they've made). Slitterhead looked to have potential.

Seems like a C to me on the whole, and definitely much better than a lot of the past conferences I've watched which have just been godawful.

KXVXII9X

Thank you. Finally, someone said it!

I don't hate all indies and welcome smaller scale games, but ever since we had tools available for everyone to become a game developer, there have been more and more shovelware, bottom of the barrel work that looks more like a hobbyist project than a professional production.

Not long ago a game on PlayStation called "Life of Black Tiger" was rightfully criticized for looking extremely janky. About a decade later, I see a bunch of super janky smaller projects that are released regularly.

For every Indie game that knocks it out of the park, there are hundreds that are completely duds. I'm also tired of a lot of the Eurojank taking up showtime too. I think there is a HUGE difference between smaller Eurojank games and stuff like Sifu, The Plucky Squire, Animal Well, Stray, Hi Fi Rush, and Disco Elysium

I see a lot of really messy games get a pass because they are indies, and I think it will have future consequences. These shows could definitely be condensed. It is sad. People pay a ton for exposure of their games for these shows, but I think it kind of backfires sometimes.

Don't go expecting another year like 2023 anytime soon. The vidyas have peaked. However if you enjoy DEI corpo checkboxes as a form of entertainment then the best is yet to come.

F

They should rename it to Indie Game Fest.

Seriously most of those games seemed like they were indie. Don't get me wrong indies are great, but i want to see games that take advantage of PS5 / PC.

Whats the point of waving epeens around having RTX 4090s while all we get is games that can run on ps3, maybe even ps2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom