• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: South Park: The Stick of Truth

South Park SOT was amazing. Laughing from start to finish and it's still a damn fine game. Only complaint is some of the collectibles have a 1 time chance to find them as you cant visit every area in the end game.

hatchx

Banned
aaaaaand bought.

I don't know why I'm such a skeptic. When it came out, I remember reading about the short length and game bugs and stuff and it turned me off.

I'm a huge south park fan, wtf was I thinking.

South Park SOT was amazing. Laughing from start to finish and it's still a damn fine game. Only complaint is some of the collectibles have a 1 time chance to find them as you cant visit every area in the end game.

Yeah, I missed Clyde so I'm not sure if I just want to restart it since I'm still delivering Cartman's letters or just do a completionist run later.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I can't name any other game that lets me play as a black Jew who flings shit at Mongolian hordes.

swiftpolar

Neo Member
Great game, especially if you like the South Park kind of humor. The simplistic battle combat system is surprisingly engaging and fun.

Thanks OP. I'd been waiting for this to go on sale and your post convinced me. Just grabbed it on Steam and played a half hour. Hilarious stuff.

Qassim

One of my favourite games of the year. I want more content for it :(

Question is how strict is the GPU requirements? I don't know what's better than what. I have a GeForce GT 750M. But I'd be running it in Parallels and I don't know what that would report it at. Will it go on sale again by the time I get a gaming PC or should I get it now?

It'll run on anything semi-modern. It's a super light game:

Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD2600XT (512MB VRAM with Shader Model 4.0 or higher)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It'll run on anything semi-modern. It's a super light game:

Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD2600XT (512MB VRAM with Shader Model 4.0 or higher)
I don't know what any of that means.

Is a 750M better than an 8800? I do have 2GB (Allocating 1GB to Windows in Parallels.) and no idea what shader model I have. And I also don't know what Parallels will report the card as. Hopefully it reports it to Windows as the card it actually is, but in the old days it would report it as some generic Parallels integrated GPU. But now I don't have much trouble with a lot of modern games and Parallels does make an effort to help gamers b optimizing itself. Eventually I'll have a gaming PC, but until then, in the case the game doesn't run, would it matter if I buy it now? I assume if this is a special sale, it's not going to actually drop in price anytime soon. $13 is pretty cheap. And I've spent more total on Steam games I've never even played yet too.

Eh I'll probably just bite the bullet. I really want to play it. Was hoping someone was in my situation and could test it. (15" Retina MBP with dGPU and Windows 7 in Parallels)

Qassim

I don't know what any of that means.

Is a 750M better than an 8800? I do have 2GB (Allocating 1GB to Windows in Parallels.) and no idea what shader model I have. And I also don't know what Parallels will report the card as. Hopefully it reports it to Windows as the card it actually is, but in the old days it would report it as some generic Parallels integrated GPU. But now I don't have much trouble with a lot of modern games and Parallels does make an effort to help gamers b optimizing itself. Eventually I'll have a gaming PC, but until then, in the case the game doesn't run, would it matter if I buy it now? I assume if this is a special sale, it's not going to actually drop in price anytime soon. $13 is pretty cheap. And I've spent more total on Steam games I've never even played yet too.

Eh I'll probably just bite the bullet. I really want to play it. Was hoping someone was in my situation and could test it. (15" Retina MBP with dGPU and Windows 7 in Parallels)

Your 750m is about 8 years better than the 8800GT.

Hale-XF11

For some reason this game isn't really clicking with me. I put a few hours into it, but got bored and haven't touched it since. Maybe it's just not for me.

Yeah the game was good but it had a lot of short comings.

My first issue was the length of the game, it was to short I think I finished in 8 hours or a little more and the only think I missed was a Chinpokomon from the UFO.

Also the game was too easy even on the hardest difficulty and the fact that you were only able to use one companion at the time was sad, even more when you 3 or 4 that were actually worth using.

Other than that I think the game was really good, it felt like a 8hs episode of south park with his classical humor and some good drawbacks for people that saw the first seasons, if it wasn't for the short length and how easy it was it would have been GOTY material for me.

Maybe it's just my console (I have a first generation PlayStation 3), but when I'm running outside the game lags to like 10 frames per second. Anyone experience this? Otherwise, I love the game. The Al Gore side story is my favorite part so far.

Wasp

My GOTY. Fantastic game.

I really hope Obsidian are busy working on a sequel to this, preferably one based on the superhero alter-egos of the characters (The Coon, Mysterion, Professor Chaos, etc).

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any problems to activate a gifted uncut copy of South Park in Germany?

Qassim

My GOTY. Fantastic game.

I really hope Obsidian are busy working on a sequel to this, preferably one based on the superhero alter-egos of the characters (The Coon, Mysterion, Professor Chaos, etc).

I think the big bottleneck will be Trey Parker and Matt Stone + the rest of the writers and cast. Lets hope Trey and Matt want to do more.

How about, if it doesn't fit the narrative brute forcing something in won't work just because you have some sort of thing wrapped up in your head. Learn to deal with it.

Also I agree OP, one of the best games this year.

"Brute forcing something" has officially become a phrase to describe "the easiest things a person could possibly do."

You literally need to spend all of nothing to establish that it's a female character in disguise and it could never come up again. If this is difficult for Bethesda, then Bethesda may just have entered the wrong form of work. :v

Qassim

"Brute forcing something" has officially become a phrase to describe "the easiest things a person could possibly do."

You literally need to spend all of nothing to establish that it's a female character in disguise and it could never come up again. If this is difficult for Bethesda, then Bethesda may just have entered the wrong form of work. :v

Bethesda?

Qassim

Obsidian, I mean.

Point stands - if this is something that needs to be "brute forced", they might not be equipped to handle a game.

I think you're getting too hung up over the meanings of a particular phrase, rather than seeing the point he is trying to make - which is you're forcing something purely for the sake of having a female character, despite it being counter to certain elements of the game.

If you're happy with having a female character in disguise, you can role play that yourself in your mind.

I've enjoyed playing most of it save for the
abortion mini game
which had a lack of direction on what to do and almost made me quit the game.

I think you're getting too hung up over the meanings of a particular phrase, rather than seeing the point he is trying to make - which is you're forcing something purely for the sake of having a female character, despite it being counter to certain elements of the game.

If you're happy with having a female character in disguise, you can role play that yourself in your mind.

But you can do that in a lot of games - role-play that Link, for example, is a girl. It is not a substitute for an actual girl character to play as. If I'm not allowed to criticize SoT for not doing the rather simple thing of letting you be a girl, I can and will criticize them for making a game that by design can't allow a female character.

El Odio

Banned

But why do they NEED a female option in the game other than to apparently check a box. Matt and Trey already came up for a story with the game which was that being a new boy in town cause the other boys in town to come to you and invite you to play their game, which IIRC they prohibited the girls from joining because they are off in their own little group. Shoehorning a girl character in would cause them to overhaul a decent portion of the game because
later on in the game you need to recruit the girls and to do so you need to do a series of quests to earn their trust because as a boy they cannot just let you in.

Qassim

But you can do that in a lot of games - role-play that Link, for example, is a girl. It is not a substitute for an actual girl character to play as. If I'm not allowed to criticize SoT for not doing the rather simple thing of letting you be a girl, I can and will criticize them for making a game that by design can't allow a female character.

You are allowed to criticise it, people are equally entitled to challenge that criticism.

Man I laughed so hard when I saw Princess Kenny's "Like if you think I am the fairest maiden in all the land" for the first time. I need to finish this game

But why do they NEED a female option in the game other than to apparently check a box. Matt and Trey already came up for a story with the game which was that being a new boy in town cause the other boys in town to come to you and invite you to play their game, which IIRC they prohibited the girls from joining because they are off in their own little group. Shoehorning a girl character in would cause them to overhaul a decent portion of the game because
later on in the game you need to recruit the girls and to do so you need to do a series of quests to earn their trust because as a boy they cannot just let you in.

Because people like to play as girl characters sometimes? Things that you don't need or desire are not things that are merely "box-checked." Shit, in that case, I can just as easily make it about "why did they design it so that the girls were their own, non-playable group?" The answer is because South Park is about the boys and in part, girl characters suffer as a result of not reasonably being focused upon. They could have allowed players to play from the perspective of the girls, but again, that opens itself to the criticism of "well the girl characters aren't interesting."

Qassim

Because people like to play as girl characters sometimes? Things that you don't need or desire are not things that are merely "box-checked." Shit, in that case, I can just as easily make it about "why did they design it so that the girls were their own, non-playable group?" The answer is because South Park is about the boys and in part, girl characters suffer as a result of not reasonably being focused upon. They could have allowed players to play from the perspective of the girls, but again, that opens itself to the criticism of "well the girl characters aren't interesting."

If we reduce games to including everything the player could want to do, then we may as write them off as a creative medium. I'd like the creators to have some freedom to tell the story they want.

Smash88

Banned

I like how you argue against no one about random criticism you read in a gamergate thread or something and you try to apply it to random threads - stop looking for things to get offended by. Things like this should be on par with port begging and drive-by shit posting, honestly.

Oh and I'll be sure to go into the next Tomb Raider thread and complain and moan about not being able to play as a male. Please remind me. Thanks.

You're arguing about a game that doesn't exist rather than the game that does. This isn't some massive, multi-path RPG. No morality system, no branching paths, no real choice, and no dialogue choices. Even the basic stuff like classes don't have an impact.

I mean, your name is
Douchebag, no matter what you type in or decide in the one moment where you're given any semblance of dialogue
. It's a one track ride where you can stop for side quests and all that, but otherwise the journey is on one track, on the same train, with the same stops, to the one destination.

I also have to wonder if you've even watched the show and understand that universe, though given you've blown off all the explanations thus far you don't seem to care except for representation for the sake of representation.

Now, would a South Park game with a girl protagonist be interesting? Hell yes as that would be new ground for the franchise as a whole and I would love to see the insanity and controversy from it. But it doesn't fit in this particular game anywhere between the current universe, structure, and writing.

Edit: For some context, I was wondering the same as you when I rented the game for my wife, but watching a few minutes in set me straight.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
This game disappointed me. The South Park fanservice was great and it was funny, but the gameplay left a lot to be desired. If it wasn't South Park I doubt I would have bothered to beat it. The humour carries the game. The gameplay is a very, very poor man's Paper Mario.

Just beat the game about a week ago had a lot of fun still have a lot of side quests to complete. Got it for a steal at 25 bucks during Black Friday and I must say its a great game especially if your a big South Park fan.

Do you watch south park? The girls and boys being separated and not hanging out with one another is part of the setting, because they are groups of young children in rural america.

A girl hanging out with the boys is a huge event in the world of South park, one that would immediately distract the narrative from its original trajectory, and would require constant unique dialogue from the majority of the cast. It's not really feasible.

I like how you argue against no one about random criticism you read in a gamergate thread or something and you try to apply it to random threads - stop looking for things to get offended by. Things like this should be on par with port begging and drive-by shit posting, honestly.

Oh and I'll be sure to go into the next Tomb Raider thread and complain and moan about not being able to play as a male. Please remind me. Thanks.

I was going to make an elaborate post detailing a number of things - including the utter stupidity of comparing not being able to be a girl in a character creator to not being able to be a guy in a game only about one single character - but I realized that you're the real shit-poster :>

Roto13

Make the female character in disguise as a boy, done

That wouldn't work either. It would completely screw up a big chunk of the game. A girl disguised as a boy would be able to just take off her fake moustache or whatever and be instant friends with the girls, negating all of the hoops you have to jump through for that chapter.

The game's about a boy. Deal with it.

That wouldn't work either. It would completely screw up a big chunk of the game. A girl disguised as a boy would be able to just take off her fake moustache or whatever and be instant friends with the girls, negating all of the hoops you have to jump through for that chapter.

The game's about a boy. Deal with it.

I am dealing with it, I'm discussing the design choices that went into making it like this. I suggest you deal with it, too. :>

alexbull_uk

Surprise hit for me, I bought it on launch and haven't regretted it for a second. Awesome game that I should do a 3rd playthough of soon.

South Park has strong female characters, specifically in reference to Wendy, who is the antithesis to Cartman. A lot of episodes focus on the conflict between the two, including one in the just-passed season. Hell, in one episode she kicks the shit out of Cartman.

To give you an idea on how much the game would have to change if they added a female option, Obsidian, Matt Stone, and Tray Parker would've pretty much made a 2nd game. For all intents and purposes, the main character's most important trait is the he IS a he. That he is one of the South Park boys, who intentionally juxtapose the South Park girls.

EDIT: I will say though, if Stone and Parker ever decided to make a sequel to the game, making the main character a female would be a great idea. So long as their vision sees it so.

witness

I love South Park but I don't have a old gen console to play this on. Here's to hoping for a new gen port soon!

RPGCrazied

Love this game. Probably will double dip on the PC version at some point. The PS3 version can get pretty stuttery in some places. Even better if they release a PS4 version.

Oh man, the lead up to the School was great and then bam my secret favorite character from the show
Mr.Mackey
shows up as we have to rescue our Thief from Detention. There was some amazing commentary on game design in this bit where
Mackey talks about the various keys and how you haven't even beaten the boss yet.

I almost died when the uber
ginger Hall monitor
showed up, had an amazing intro cutscene and straight into the battle.

Fantastic so far, I'm really loving this game and I can't wait to try out the other classes on another playthrough once I am finished.

Also, I went to
Jimbo's Gun Shop and got a quest to go kill a bunch of random "monsters" in a great send up of RPG "go kill this super rare thing" quests and come back. So far I killed a cow and a junkyard dog.

Also if you go back to the school after you finish the Thief quest, you can
Hear Mackey in the cafeteria crying and telling himself he's a failure, m'kay.

Top Bottom