• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One leading sales in US since price cut, nearly 10 million sold-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

SURGEdude

Well some good games and a price cut to what should have been roughly launch price has done miracles. Thats how it should be, so I'm glad. Unlike a year ago there is a heck of a lot more value in the One this season and MS will seemingly be rewarded for it. I'll never hate on a good deal so kudos to them.

But I will admit that that Major tweet is silly and likely a deflect from a so-so October. Seems dumb to bother being deceptive when they will probably be able to claim a hard fought real victory for the next 2 months without trying using ambiguous language like that.

But thats PR ladies and gents. They pretty much all do it like this sadly.

Etnos

Banned
Competition in of itself is not good or bad, it's neutral. The competition must be worthy of merit for it to be worth anything. No comment on whether XBO is, but the phrase on its face is pretty meaningless. Competition is good sometimes, and when other products fail heavily in the face of some other product, it means the market has spoken - which is exactly how the free market should work.

Well the xbox raising sales numbers is the market speaking, so I think we basically saying the same.

Obviously MS will have shipped over 10 million once they stock all stores for the holidays. Just seems odd to announce these numbers now... Just a case of getting good news out as soon as possible? Or is it because they expect to lose November or because October numbers are low?

vcc

Jesus, there must be millions of them on shelves then. I doubt they're anywhere near 7 million sold through yet.

Nov would be the month to ship massive amounts of units. Black Friday and Christmas pump up the volume on units sold.

Sony and Nintendo could likely make similar claims of escalated shipped numbers because retailers will be order more stock to ensure they are good through Christmas. Jan shipped numbers will dwindle as the retailers move through the Christmas inventory.

cackhyena

Sell through to consumers 10m? That's gonna be rough. Not so sure

I played the XBO a lot, I like some things about it, others things I think are quite bad. But I love their fall lineup. I'd have one already if not for their ID@Xbox parity clause... *sigh*
I really dig the UI the more I play with it, and SO and FH2 are great games. Yeah the fall lineup is pretty solid. Having all three consoles this early is nice. Just sit back and wait for the games.

Obviously MS will have shipped over 10 million once they stock all stores for the holidays. Just seems odd to announce these numbers now... Just a case of getting good news out as soon as possible? Or is it because they expect to lose November or because October numbers are low?

Positive news before the October numbers.

They always toss a bone before numbers hit.

Asd202

Tomorrow is October NPD.

I'm going to be a bit more conservative and say that MS will ship around 11 million, but sell through an 8.5-8.75 million units.

Anything more than that sold will be nearing historic sales performance over the next 2 months.

That would leave them trailing PS4 by around 10 million after one year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It'll be interesting to see if a few multi platform parity releases along with big hitters like Halo will start to level off ongoing monthly sales between PS4 and Xbox next year (this holiday they'll sell whatever they can make probably). With the orice being much more sensible now, if people start to question if the PS4 power advantage means anything, they might start to consider the Xbox more carefully.

I don't get it?? Why was he banned. Read his post, unless I missed the GAF TOS. Is Bish being trigger happy again???

I'm pretty sure it's because they admitted to using an adblocker. See those ads at the top and bottom of the screen, they are what keeps Neogaf running.

Edit: This threads moves too fast, answered many times already.

Amir0x

Banned
Well the xbox raising sales numbers is the market speaking, so I think we basically saying the same.

Right, exactly. If you said "competition is good" during the early months of this gen, the argument would be made in reverse: the market has spoken, competition is good only in context to a product of merit.

Right now the market has spoken for two weeks, because these are insane deals. But what happens once the games come back out of the bundle and the system is $399 again? Or will MS keep it at the $349 price point? There's a lot of considerations for the long term sustainability of this surge.

Consider for example the PS2. GCN and Xbox were no where near that system, PS2 completely dominated... and that system had one of the most diverse lineups of all time. And was consistently giving consumers great deals with greatest hits games, great console prices, etc.

I just hear "competition is good" all the time as a cold hard cement statement, and I like the add the qualifier in there because it's actually neutral. :D

So happy for Microsoft. What a turnaround. Price will be their only advantage this gen. Glad to see them have success doing that lower price model.

Slashlen

Between the two week period for the "leading sales" and the fact that of course retailers are going to stock up for the holidays, this info doesn't mean a whole lot. Could lead to great things if all of these units make it to customers this holiday.

If it wasn't for the reactions to the pricecut, I'd be agreeing with you.

What reactions? The PS4 is already moving up on the Amazon charts, two of the X1 console bundles are now heavily down and AC will likely also start falling. We can't base much off of the initial few days. And even if MS does really well in NA for Nov. and Dec, that doesn't change the fact that they're still dead in the water almost everywhere else. They won't be reaching 9 million sold through this year, and they won't reach 10 anytime soon. My guess is, March at the earliest.

Kysen

Sounds like they are already counting the Q4 shipments. January will be when the truth comes out. Just like this year.

gruenel

Maybe I'll get un juniored afterall.lol

So 10mill shipped to retailers i'am guessing about 9mil sold to actually customers?

I dont know what sony's latest sales are around 14mill? MS are certainly catching Up.

There is no clear winner by any stretch of the imagination. Price,awareness and games are what matters as this sales spike has shown.

I have to say MS seem to be advertising more in the UK, I dont watch tv and use adblock so where adds can reach me is limted, but MS still get to me, I have heard an assasins creed xbox ad on spotify multiple times and have seen COD:AW xbox adverts on bustops in my little english town. MS are fighting.
Well, at least he was right with the bolded part.

Maybesew

I think it's very clear that the XBONE is doing really well with this holiday price cut combined with MCC and some other nice releases in the month of October, but this statement has a ton of marketing spin on it. This time of year they are going to be stuffing the channel with inventory to support the holiday sales. I'm of the opinion that a lot of customers will be buying XBONE over the next few months, but these numbers are slightly (maybe more than slightly) manipulative in their current state.

It will all come out when MSFT has their earnings call (in January) and releases actual holiday sales. Until then, more competition is great for console owners.

Why didn't they just wait before actually reaching the ten million figure before releasing this PR. The timing seems suspicious to me; preemptive of something.

What reactions? The PS4 is already moving up on the Amazon charts, two of the X1 console bundles are now heavily down and AC will likely also start falling. We can't base much off of the initial few days. And even if MS does really well in NA for Nov. and Dec, that doesn't change the fact that they're still dead in the water almost everywhere else. They won't be reaching 9 million sold through this year, and they won't reach 10 anytime soon. My guess is, March at the earliest.

Come on people, you know who you're replying to...

kpaadet

I don't understand the timing of this PR statement, if they are so close to 10 mil shipped why not just wait a few weeks until it happens, unless of course its not so close after all. Anyway writing a press release about a "almost" reached shipped number seems kinda pathetic.

JaggedSac

I don't understand the timing of this PR statement, if they are so close to 10 mil shipped why not just wait a few weeks until it happens, unless of course its not so close after all. Anyway writing a press release about a "almost" reached shipped number seems kinda pathetic.

NPD

Speaking of which, I hope Sunset Overdrive sold 35 million copies. Game deserves it.

vcc

It'll be interesting to see if a few multi platform parity releases along with big hitters like Halo will start to level off ongoing monthly sales between PS4 and Xbox next year (this holiday they'll sell whatever they can make probably). With the orice being much more sensible now, if people start to question if the PS4 power advantage means anything, they might start to consider the Xbox more carefully.

PS4 is likely coasting on better multi-plat performance since exclusives aren't numerous for them.

Parity thing is in one game. AC:unity, even there is mixed. The edge goes to the PS4 for the rest by varying margins.

Halo is a remake collection, likely not a heavy hitter. Probably will sell well but won't move lots of new machines.

I'd predict a XB1 win nov and a loss Dec for the US loss world wide throughout. A price cut is big and a lot of the latent demand will jump in, but once that's done the old trends will continue.

Why didn't they just wait before actually reaching the ten million figure before releasing this PR. The timing seems suspicious to me; preemptive of something.

NPD is tomorrow. So likely just getting some positivr PR first.

Even if it is just them saying they sent out holiday stock that might sell between now and January.

Death2494

Stuffing the channel. Hope that means close out sales in jan-feb on unsold bundles.

This is what they did last year. Over promising and under delivering to retailers. Remember on December 31,2013 they flooded the channel with 900k Xbox Ones just so they could say they were at 3.9 million?

Hindle

Banned
Anyone think they will do a MCC bundle say mid December? I know Phil has said there are no plans, but a Halo bundle for that period would be huge.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Urgh, I kinda dislike how Microsoft is pushing this agenda of outselling. Just make good games and people will buy it.

Toki767

Anyone think they will do a MCC bundle say mid December? I know Phil has said there are no plans, but a Halo bundle for that period would be huge.

Wal-mart exclusive. For Black Friday at least. Possibly also for the holiday in general.

orochi91

I can only see that happening if they don't win November.

December will be their last big push for the year with that bundle at that point.

Amir0x

Banned

They have a MCC Bundle for Wal-Mart already for Black Friday. But the AD says "Wal-Mart exclusive", so it's difficult to know if the bundle will be hitting anywhere else.

I think certainly they can try it, especially if the TLOU+GTAV PS4 bundle overperforms (as it's already going to do phenomenally well)

NPD is tomorrow. So likely just getting some positivr PR first.

Even if it is just them saying they sent out holiday stock that might sell between now and January.

I didn't think about this, it must not look super awesome for them tomorrow if they are touting sold-in numbers the day before.

Soon to hit sold in numbers at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom