• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rutger Hauer, ‘Blade Runner’ Co-Star, Dies at 75

Mista

Banned
rexfeatures_3529430ah.jpg

Rutger Hauer, the versatile Dutch leading man of the ’70s who went on star in the 1982 “Blade Runner” as Roy Batty, died July 19 at his home in the Netherlands after a short illness. He was 75.

Hauer’s agent, Steve Kenis, confirmed the news and said that Hauer’s funeral was held Wednesday.

His most cherished performance came in a film that was a resounding flop on its original release. In 1982, he portrayed the murderous yet soulful Roy Batty, leader of a gang of outlaw replicants, opposite Harrison Ford in Ridley Scott’s sci-fi noir opus “Blade Runner.” The picture became a widely influential cult favorite, and Batty proved to be Hauer’s most indelible role.

-BLITZ-

Uhhhh, this is depressing. For someone who I know him since I was a kid, he is one of the actors who reached and touched my heart in some way that left a mark there, which I will take it with me even after this life. I love him the most in Blind Fury.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
:messenger_crying: Low key favorite movie he was in that I like: He was in this movie called Surviving the Game with Ice T and it was amazingly awful. Old school cheesy movie that entertains all the way through.

Such sad news. RIP and sending my thoughts to his family at this time

An actor that could totally own a role, see

Blade runner
Blind fury
The hitcher
Wanted dead or alive

To name just a few......

😢

Banned
time to listen to Lost in the New Real again where he is the narrator/physiological assistant Voight-Kampff ... yes that is a Bladerunner reference :)

Plot Summary (Wikipedia)
The story of follows Mr. L, a twenty-first century man who was cryopreserved at the moment of clinical death from a terminal disease. The album begins as Mr. L is being revived at a point in the distant future, when technology has advanced enough to cure his disease. Mr. L finds himself in a world that has drastically changed — to the point that the line between what’s real and what’s not is no longer clear.

Mr. L’s appointed psychological advisor, Voight-Kampff (Hauer), is tasked with helping him emotionally adapt to this strange new world. The listener follows Mr. L’s emotional journey as he is confronted with both serious and comical aspects of the “New Real”, and desperately tries to decide if he can find a meaningful place within it.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Sad news. RIP. I loved him in so much stuff, but I always remember him when I 1st saw him in Nighthawks. He was awesome as Wulfgar.

xrnzaaas

Very sad news, I enjoyed playing his character in The Observer only last year and I was under the impression he was still in good health for his age. :( Truly talented actor who will be deeply missed.

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

Fuck I am legit depressed about this one. True icon and one of my favorites. The more the day goes on the more it feels like another end of an age.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone's already said what needs to be said but I'll just add my bit anyway. His performance in Blade Runner is a huge part of what made it such a classic, for me one of the greatest films of all time and definitely one of the most memorable characters.

Holy shit I let out a scream when I saw this. WTF man. Rest in peace. My favorite scene of all time is played by him (you know the one). And that phrase was actually improvised by him.

:messenger_sad_relieved:

His role in Blade Runner is so iconic, but I'll always remember him for Blind Fury and Ladyhawke. The Hitcher was badass too.

And, lest we forget, the aptly named Hobo With A Shotgun.

pr0cs

What a shame, he was a fantastic underused actor. The Hitcher was a fantastic movie that so many people still haven't seen and deep down I wish CDPR would put some sort of homage to Batty in Cyberpunk

GV82

NQyGytl.jpg

I haven’t played this yet, I should though it’s on Gamepass and for those that don’t know it’s a Cyberpunk Horror Game. I believe it’s also on P.C & PS4? And coming to the Switch?

pr0cs pr0cs I was thinking about that earlier & I bet they will have an Easter egg related to Roy Batty at least if they haven’t already they probably will now.

Also did you know he was the star of this Cyberpunk game I posted above?
One of the very reasons it’s on my to play backlog is just because it’s Rutger Hauer+Cyberpunk +Horror what more could I ask for really.

Last edited:
Top Bottom